Kim Himchan and Park Sanghee

Going Crazy

 

Saturday night. What a joyous night. This is the highlight of the week, when people will go out, meet friends, have a lot of fun, do stupid things and still feel good about it.

A girl in her early twenties sighs. She shouldn't be here. She couldn't be here. She wouldn't be here if only her friends didn't kidnap her from her room.

She chuckles. Friends, huh? They barely keep in touch for this past two years and suddenly they were banging on her door, dressed her up and dragged her here.

She can't believe she still remember this building that well. She notices some renovations and changes here and there, but wholly, she knows this place so well. She can hear some faint sounds of thumping beats that she knows would make her heart beats rhythmically to it once she is inside.

"Sanghee-ya! Come on! The party is starting!"

She sighs again and enters the building.

 

Yes, it had been two years now. Two years since she decided to leave this kind of life. This kind of life. Where happiness became the main topic and people will do anything to possess it. She used to love being happy here. Partying, dancing, singing, drinking, goofing, having a blast and enjoying the time of her life. Until she hit the bottom.  Until the sun rose, hoarse, her legs sore, hang-over in, no more happy faces, the fireworks run out, and her friends was gone. She was there. Unhappy. Worn-out. Alone. Used.

She can’t believe that her friends—the fun people she spend nights with—would have the heart to dissed her like that. They talked to her, laughed with her, had fun with her, shared things with her, used her, betrayed her, left her. And the night life was all fake. Because in the morning, the lamps were no use, getting drunk was no use, the make-ups had been faded, and your body felt restless.

So, two years ago she said enough. Enough! And just like that, she left the night life, the thing she had been loving for so long, but hated since that morning. That particular morning when her heart could no longer contained all the pain and hurts and fakeness.

 

The music is blazing and the lights are enchanting. Her heart starts to dance along with the music, betraying her resolve to restrain herself tonight. Her friends are already losing themselves in the current of the atmosphere. Everyone around her is having a lot of fun. Happy faces. Smiling faces. Gosh, did she miss this?

 

Someone get on the stage and starts to play some serious sounds. The crowd is getting excited. Her friends are no exceptions. Hands in the air! Swing your hips! Move that body! Dance to the music! It’s tempting. It’s alluring. And Sanghee can’t help but drown in the euphoria. Let’s get down to the dance floor!

 

It was a great performance. People applaud the artists. They really did an awesome job. Leaving the crowd getting all hype. Leaving the crowd going wild. Leaving the crowd wanting for more. And she’s lost. She’s drifted. She’s wander.

She bumped into someone. It supposed to be a normal bump. People tend to bump each other when they’re on the dance floor. But, it’s not a normal one.

“Long time no see, Sanghee-ya.”

Eyes snapped open. Body turned. Mind can’t believe.

He’s here.

“Seunghyun-ah.”

He’s here.

 

 

She goes back to her table. Her friends are already doing stupid things. Some who’re still sober snicker when they see her. She looks back. And sees Seunghyun’s following her.

She takes a seat. He sits next to her.

“So, how’s your life?”

She hates him. Hates that cocky face. Hates that smirking lips. Hates that ing gaze. Hates that seducing voice. Hates that sculpted body. Hates that perfect person. Hates him.

“Great. My life is great.”

So, they talk. Do some small talk. Updating news about each other. Arousing some unwanted memories.

“I miss you, you know.”

And her resolve dissolve into invisible fumes.

She remembers how she used to love him. She remembers how he used to love her.

In a blink of an eye, her resolve colts back.

She remembers how they ended.

 

The tables are joined together. Seunghyun's friends mingle with Sanghee's friends. More people come. The tables are getting more crowded. Seunghyun goes to get another bottle.

Some men come and greet him. It’s the performers. He introduces them to the crowd. The crowd gives applause again. They bow.

And their eyes meet. His eyes meet her eyes.

 

They stare. Stare. Stare. Until his friend nudges him. Until her friend taps her. Heads turn.

When she directs her gaze back to him, he’s no longer there.

She looks around. She can’t see him anywhere.

Someone sits beside her. It is him.

“Hey, long time no see.”

Somehow she doesn’t mind the repetition. He has a gorgeous smile.

She tries to remember.

“Do I know you?”

 

“You forget me? How could you?”

“Sorry, but I really don’t remember anything about you.”

“It’s me! Himchan!”

“Himchan, eh? It doesn’t ring any bell.”

“We met here. You came with Hana. She introduced us.”

“I remember Hana. She did introduce me to some people, but mostly girls. The guy she told me was Yongguk.”

“Yes! She introduce Yongguk first and then, me.”

“I’m certain I only met Yongguk that night.”

“Sanghee-ya, how could you? You went for two years and now you forgot about me? I’m really hurt, you know. “

“Sorry, Himchan-ssi, but I never forget people. And I never meet you.”

“Himchan-ssi?? You really have changed Sanghee-ya. You used to be so warm towards me. We were pretty close. We hang out often and spent times together more. You even sobbed on my chest once. What happen to my sweet Sanghee?”

Ya, this boy really…

“Don’t you talk to me like that! Don’t you talk about me like that! You don’t know me and I don’t even know you. So, if you don’t mind, please leave.”

The boy is shocked. Clearly doesn’t see that coming at all.

The girl grows impatiently.

“Fine. I’ll leave.”

She turns. She walks away.

What a waste. It could be attraction at first sight. It could be like at the first sight. She like his handsome face and lean body. He made her wants to know him better. He attracted to her to a point where she is more than willing to shamelessly flirt on him. Usually, it took a lot of shots to make her has that kind of courage. Too bad, he hit the wrong button. Oh, what a waste.

Someone grabs her arm and turns her body.

“I’m sorry. I’m way out of line. If you don’t mind, can we start this over? I want to do things right with you.”

She just looks at him. And then she nods.

“Hey, I can’t help but stare at you from across the room. My name is Himchan. What’s yours?” He winks.

Hmm, maybe it was not a waste. Maybe this could be like at the first sight.

“I’m Sanghee. Park Sanghee.”

He smiles wider. She falls harder.