Dark Red Carnations

APink Oneshot Collection

Story requested by: Kimmyloh

Pairing: Chomi 

 


 

Dark Red Carnation; A representation of sentimental love and affection.

Bomi was lying on the hospital bed just like another day, when the door opened. Her eyes shifted from the television to the person who entered, who was none other than her doctor.

"Hi, Bomi. How are you feeling?" Dr Park asked. Instead of giving a reply, Bomi carefully studied her doctor's expression.

"You've got bad news, right?" Bomi was almost completely certain about that, and Dr Park's reaction just confirmed it.

"How did you know?"

"Well Dr, I've stayed here for so long. Through these times you've been the one delivering all the news and information to me, it's just too easy to read you." Bomi chuckled. "So, what's it this time?"

"You.. You.." Dr Park was really hesitant in breaking the news.

"I'm going to die soon?" Bomi completed the sentence, seemingly not the least surprised at all. Dr Park nodded as she muttered a "sorry".

"Expected that." Bomi's tone was a little more dead than usual, considering that she was usually a very lively person. "So how long do I have left?"

"A week." Bomi felt her heart drop. A week, 7 days. At such a tender age, she received news that she was going to leave the world. No doubt had she expected it, but nonetheless the news was a devastating one. There were so many things she had not had the opportunity to do yet. So many things she wanted to do, and now there was no chance left.

However, looking at Dr Park's apologetic expression, Bomi felt like she had to seem positive and optimistic. She put on the most genuine smile she could make. "But hey, everyone's got to die sooner or later right? Death's just seeking me a little earlier." A little too early.

"Bomi," Dr Park called. She had faced many of such situations before, but never had she seen someone like Bomi. Although the latter had always appeared cheerful, Dr Park knew very well that she harboured a lot of thoughts and emotions, many negative ones at that, but all masked under her cheeky personality.

"I'm fine doctor." Bomi gave an assuring smile. Or she tried. "May I take a walk downstairs?"

Dr Park approved of it, it was the least she could do for the young girl. Cancer had not made the girl bedridden, she simply stayed in the hospital for convenience, and because her parents never really cared about her. Rich people they were, they decided to just casually deposit their sick daughter in the hospital, never to visit her again. They thought, paying for her hospital bills was considered doing their part as parents.

 


 

Taking a walk, Bomi observed her surroundings in detail. Everything looked especially beautiful today, and everyone seemed to appear happy, unlike how she was feeling. A lone tear rolled down her cheek, knowing that she would no longer be able to see these in a week's time. She continued to look around, until her eyes settled upon a stranger. A stranger who was surrounded by a group of elderly. Such a pretty girl, she thought. 

Her thoughts and focus were interrupted by someone, an old lady who happened tto walk past. "Looking at that young lady over there? She's a nice child, coming here everyday to sing for the elderly. She plays with us too, and it's really fun." Before Bomi could respond, the old lady had already walked away towards that group of elderly. Her heart is just as beautiful.

The next day, Bomi requested to head down again, knowing that the girl would be there again. Situating herself such that she could get a clear view of the girl, she sat down, just admiring the beauty of the girl. Suddenly, the girl looked up and their eyes met. Bomi blushed instantly, but continued staring anyway. After a while, the girl gave a charming smile and broke the eye contact. Although the smile made Bomi flush even more, it unconsciously made Bomi smile. Six days left, yet I finally met the one I love.

Bomi went back to her ward and thought over it thoroughly. She had only six days left, and she did not want to die with regrets. Thus, she asked Dr Park for help in getting flowers for her.

 


 

It was the third day, and as usual Bomi went down again. She headed down determined, her mind only focusing on achieving her aims - to find out the girl's name and to confess. She arrived at the location, the girl was there again. This day, Bomi wasted no time admiring her. After she took in a deep breath, she walked towards the girl right away.

"Hi. I mean, erm.. Hey. What's your name?" Bomi mentally facepalmed herself for being so direct and sounding so stupid. She was so glad that the girl could not see that she was fiddling with her fingers; she put them behind her back.

"Chorong. Park Chorong." The girl replied with a smile, without hesitation at all.

"Oh. Park Chorong.. A name as pretty as its owner," Bomi muttered, but her face turned crimson red when she realised Chorong heard what she had said. "Mine's Bomi. Yoon Bomi."

"Oh erm so erm Cho-Cho-Chorong I-I-I-" Bomi stopped to calm herself down slightly. "I'm here to tell you that you're extremely beautiful and I've never seen someone like you and so here's a dark red carnation for you. You know the meaning of a dark red carnation right? It means love and affection. I-I-I'm in l-l-love w-w-w-with you-u." 

With that, Bomi presented her with the flower she had in her hand. Or rather, stuffed it into the girl's hands. Then she walked away, making it clear that "I just wanted to say this before I die five days later."

Chorong took a minute or so to process what was said to her. Then she looked at the flower in her hand and smiled. She said softly, "It's not one sided."

Meanwhile, Bomi went back to her ward as fast as possible. Once she sat on her bed hugging her bolster, tears started falling. She had been holding them back, she did not like to cry in front of others. She felt so unfair, why did she have to meet someone she love only when she was about to leave the world? It did not make sense; she was never cared for nor did she ever care much, but she just had to start doing so when she was dying.

Bomi let her tears fall freely, only wiping them away when she felt herself in someone's embrace. No one was ever concerned about her, who could it be? She cleared her vision and was surprised to see the person who was hugging her. It was Chorong. Seeing her only made Bomi cry even harder as she snuggled into Chorong's arms.

"It'll be alright," Chorong repeated, caressing the blonde's hair. But Bomi knew very well it would not.

"It won't! Nothing has ever been alright. I just had to meet you on the day I found out I'm going to die!" Bomi shouted, her voice muffled as her head was buried into Chorong's chest.

"Even if you're going to die, I'll stay with you till the end. It's mutual Bomi, I'm attracted to you too. And because it's mutual, nothing's going to break us apart." It was weird how they were talking as if they had known each other for a long time, but none of them cared.

"No, go away Chorong!" Bomi would love spending the last few days with her, but what would Chorong do after she dies? How could she hurt Chorong? 

"I won't." Chorong tightened the hug, while Bomi struggled to get out of it. "Go away! I'm like a timebomb, I don't even know when I'm going to die. The doctor said a week, which means five days left, but who knows I'll just die tomorrow. Why did I meet you? Why do you have to be so attractive? Why do you like me back? I could have just passed away, not missing anyone, not being missed by anyone. If we get closer now, you'll just get hurt after that.."

"Nothing's as hurtful as what you just said, to ask me to leave you, to regret meeting me." Bomi looked up after hearing Chorong's shaky voice, and found her crying as well. 

"I'm sorry," Bomi said, wiping the tears off Chorong's face. "I'm so so sorry. Please don't cry."

Tears continued falling, but Chorong was smiling a bit. "I'm never leaving you Bomi. Even if you leave, you'll still be in my heart."

"Oh please don't." 

 


 

For the next few days, Chorong spent her time with Bomi, doing whatever she had wished to do with her lover. Bomi was happy, the fact that her end was nearing completely slipped her mind. The four walls of the ward was of no restraints for them at all, being together made them feel like the ward was a paradise. Everyday, how they ended their day was the cutest way ever. 

"Now Bomi, it's story time." Bomi would always react like a kid when it was time for bedtime stories. Chorong would search for fairytales or short stories to tell Bomi, and the latter always listened attentively.

"Okay now, go to sleep Bomi."

"Will I wake up?" Bomi had this worry every night, and she would tear up just from the thought.

"Yes you will, and I will be just by your side." Chorong's reply did not make Bomi feel fully secure about it, but nonetheless Bomi always fell asleep holding Chorong's hands and listening to her singing. She loved Chorong's soft voice, it was really comforting for her. And the fact Chorong was next to her when she slept made her less scared.

Much to everyone's surprise, Bomi lived past the one week estimation. However, she continued to live everyday worrying about her death.

One day, the day had arrived. Chorong was still by her side, crying devastatedly as Bomi laid still there. "Bomi ah.. I hope the days you spent with me were happy ones. I will love you forever."

It took Chorong very long to escape from living in denial. She refused to believe that Bomi had left and she struggled to move on with life. But before she knew it, one year had passed.

She read the name written: Yoon Bomi. She trembled as she cried over Bomi for the umteempth time. "I miss you, Bomi."

She fiddled with her fingers as she continued sobbing quietly. "You're looking at me from above right? I know you won't bear to leave me entirely alone. I know you're there, always watching me, but I can't help but miss you. I wish you were still right next to me."

Then she held up the flower in her hand and placed it next to where her name was written. "Dark red carnations. Your favourite. I love you."

 


A/N: Yay another story up!~ It's really challenging developing the ideas of others >< Nonetheless I hope you guys found this story nice! :) It's like the 'opposite' of Longing heh. Comment~ ^^

@lilucaga haha no prob! ^^ I'm sorry that it's sad, I actually wrote it for other purpose but I decided why not just apply it to Chomi since I haven't written one like that :3

@akumatsubasa hahaha maybe this made it a bit better? xD

@Nachomisan I suppose so, though it'd be better for her to move on ><