ia

The Faults In Our Café

It is times like this when Kris really regrets opening a café. Well, no, he doesn't regret going into this business but he sure as hell regrets hiring those two idiots over there who are busy ogling some cute girls and by cute girls, he means cute babies who are barely four years old.

"Hey, Xiumin," Kris hears Luhan call out. The said guy turns around and raises his eyebrow towards the guy who called his name. "Do you think that kid over there, the one wearing a pink dress, is willing to date me as soon as she's legal?" Luhan asks earnestly.

Kris's eyes widen as soon as he hears what Luhan has just said. You've got to be kidding me, he wants to say but he holds his tongue back because he does not want to create an intense debate when there are a dozen of customers around. Instead, he scoffs silently and focuses on supervising the other staff of the café.

Xiumin observes the little kid that Luhan referred to and hums to himself quietly. "Well, I think her ideal type will be more like me, don't you think so?" he responds nonchalantly. "I mean, she looks like she likes a manly guy, not a pretty-looking one."

Luhan's jaw drops wide open at Xiumin's careless remark and he glares at the older guy in dissatisfaction. "I'm manly!" he huffs in protest. Well, at least, he likes to think himself as manly. At this statement, Kris lets out a snort but it goes unheard because he is close enough to overhear their conversation but far enough not to be heard if he says anything in a normal voice. Well, to summarise it, Luhan's and Xiumin's voices are so loud that even though he is standing thirty feet away from them, he is still able to hear what they're saying.

"Manly, my foot," Xiumin scoffs. "That kid's mine. You go find some other kid to date."

"I saw her first!" Luhan exclaims.

"Whatever. You go and take that other kid over there, the one who's wearing overalls," Xiumin replies nonchalantly, pointing at the kid he meant.

Luhan turns to look at where the older guy is pointing and gapes. He turns and looks at Xiumin accusingly but the other guy simply smiles at him innocently like he has done nothing wrong. "That kid is a boy, you little ," he hisses.

Xiumin shrugs as though Luhan's hostility does not scare him. "You're gay," he points out airily.

Gasps can be heard throughout the whole café as high school girls who have been crushing on Luhan hear what Xiumin just said. "Oppa, you're gay?" one of them asks with tears in her eyes.

"Not only is he gay but he's a freaking e," Kris answers before Luhan can say anything to defend himself.

"I'm not a e!" Luhan splutters out in panic.

At that, the mother of the kid in pink dress snorts. "Really? You were practically eye- my child!" she accuses with fury evident in her eyes.

"And you flirted with us!" another one of those high school girls adds in.

Luhan raises his hands in protest while shaking his head. Xiumin is already laughing his head off at his friend's misery while Chen, Baekhyun and Chanyeol are busy filming this scene for future blackmailing purposes. Kris just stands there while mentally scolding himself for making things worse. This is going to affect his café's precious reputation and there is no way he's going to let that happen. Like it or not, he has to help Luhan out although he is kind of the cause of this mess. Well, not really. The real cause of this mess is Xiumin. Kris decides to teach the older guy a lesson later.

Now, he has to focus on saving the reputation of his café.

Kris musters up his best angelic smile and approaches the mother slowly. "I'm sure he was just kidding with his remark, ma'am," he starts to say. "It's just his way of saying that your child is very beautiful and he wants to date someone as beautiful as her."

"But he's gay," another one of the high school girls pipes up helpfully.

Kris grits his teeth in annoyance but he forces the smile to stay on his face, anyway. Taking in a deep breath to calm himself, he says through his gritted teeth, "He isn't gay. Xiumin was just kidding. Weren't you, Xiumin?"

Xiumin looks surprised as Kris suddenly pulls him into the conversation. "No, not really," he blurts out before he is able to stop himself. At that, the mother raises her eyebrow questioningly at the owner of the café. Kris turns to look at Xiumin and gives the older guy a deadly glare. Play along or else you'll end up dead, he mouths with his eyes narrowed. "I mean yes, yes, I was kidding just now," Xiumin corrects himself quickly as soon as he sees the glare that was sent to him.

Kris smiles at him before turning to the mother. "There, you've got nothing to worry about. It's all a misunderstanding. My workers' sense of humour is a little bit twisted. I would like to apologise on their behalf," he says politely.

"So we still have a chance with oppa," the high school girls cheer loudly.

Kris rolls his eyes inwardly at their immaturity but does not comment anything. Instead, he turns to Luhan and gives him a look, telling him to say sorry too. Luhan, who immediately gets what Kris wants from him, says, "Yes, yes, that's right. We were just joking. I'm sorry that you were offended by our inconsiderate jokes. We won't do that ever again."

The mother of the child seems a little bit dissatisfied but she seems to let it go. She stands up while clutching the little girl's hand and approaches the counter where Luhan and Xiumin are standing to pay for her coffee. As she is taking out her purse from her handbag, Luhan takes a good look at the little girl. "You're really pretty, kid," he comments. The mother sends him a glare but he does not notice it. She takes out the amount of money she is supposed to pay and just as she is about to hand the money to Xiumin, Luhan remarks, "You will marry me when you're legal, won't you, little kid?"

The woman gapes at Luhan in disbelief before slapping the money on the counter in fury. She drags her child out of the café and Kris swears that he will kill Luhan as soon as the café is closed.