Finale

Divine shades
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

[CONTENTID2] Finale [/CONTENTID2]

 

[CONTENTID1]

 

I'm truly sorry about the delay. The draft went missing so many times that I lost inspiration. I hope you enjoy it. 

 

 

She stared at the intense, sparkling lights of the city beneath her, ever so brightly shining from the high buildings. It seemed to overcome the darkness of the night, leaving the capital in the never ending glow. To her, the enchanting sight looked like a prison. It didn’t have bars or chains, but still claimed unmarked thoughts and innocent hearts as hostage.

 

Soft, heart triggering music reached her sensitive ears. It played inside one of the many homes that rested in the darker ends of town. She tracked the melody to a window with burgundy curtains. Through it, she could see a mother opening a music box for her child to sleep.

 

It had been ages that humankind wrote poetry about the beauty of divine creature’s smile, and yet, the only thing that manages to make her smile is the naivety of newborns.

 

Each one of them is an opportunity for a better life, and as soon as they become old enough to achieve it, they become subjects of prejudice, fear and power. It went on and on since the dawn of time, going in empty circles.

 

She lost her faith in the mortal world. She knew behind every one of those lights lies a broken heart, an unfinished life, unrequited passion. It was so mystifying to her how human conceal all the betrayal, heartache and sorrow, with an element called love. Love was only another conundrum to her. She had never experienced love. She merely saw a display of it.

 

It happened many years ago, in a small village that hugged the ocean. She had her first practice with the human life.

 

It was her mission to help a young couple deliver their first child. They had just built a house of their own. It was small, out of order and unfeasible, and yet they viewed it as their heaven. Together they defeated all odds, turning a wreck into a home. She looked up to them, to this love they shared.

 

He used to call her his angel. And then the biggest smile would grace her face. She wondered how it could feel if anyone called her that.

 

She was never fated to have that. To humans she was simply the voice in the back of their minds. They never saw her, and they never believed in what they don’t see. Love was simply not in her destiny.

 

And yet, three hundred years ago, her heart grew warm with love displayed ahead of her. Three hundred years ago, on a winter night where heavens lay snow with the sound of bullets, she got her heart broken.

 

 

Lee Seung gi unlocked the door to his house. He heard the wooden floorboards creaking below his feet. The snapping of the fireplace sounded too loud that night, accompanied well with the lonely owl outside his window.

 

“Good evening.” he greeted the golden retriever that launched for his pants’ leg. With a small chuckle, he headed to the kitchen, pouring himself some water, and grabbing a quick snack of fruit biscuits. That night would be quite long for him with the upcoming show in a few more days.

 

He escorted his dog towards the living room. He was eagerly pulling him forword, continuously barking at his piano.

 

So she arrived.

 

Her eyes took in the scenes around her as a dog’s snarl irritated her nerves. It was a rather isolated residence this time, a hilltop estate on the outskirts of Seoul. The closest home seemed to be hours away.

 

She found a large piano in front of her as she stepped into the room. This time, she was assigned to a musician. The infuriating barking continued from her back. That seemed to be another thing for her to get used to in the upcoming period.

 

Photos from his performances hung on the wall facing her. He was young, handsome and talented. His passion for music was clear just from the photos. He smiled like nothing could be wrong with the world.

 

“Such happiness.”

 

Seung gi almost gasped as he heard her whispering. Her voice was soft. It rang in his ear like the music he plays.

 

“What is?”   he asked.

 

She turned around. He was staring directly at her. He walked forward. She felt herself taking steps back. Her back pressed against the wall as her heart sped with every step he took, until he finally stood still.

 

“Do you like music?” 

 

Her lips parted slowly as her fists clenched. “You…are.” she stuttered. His empty, almost stunned expression became a grin as he was obviously amused with her stammering. “You’re talking to me?” 

 

“Of course.” He sat on the piano stool, continuing to watch her.

 

“But…” her arm went limp as they dropped beside her.

 

This made no sense. The barking persisted, despite his attempts of quieting it. It went against everything she came to accept. Humans can’t see her, no one ever had.

 

“You can see me?” she managed to get the words past her lips. She never imagined a day where she would address a human and expect a reply.

 

His brows rose at the question. “I can feel you. He can as well.” he gestured at the retriever. “I assume they told you about my condition then.”

 

They did, she was told he was blind. It happened some years ago in a car accident. That day, his parents lost their lives, while he lost his sight. He lived with the constant guilt that he caused them to die.

 

Before she left, she was told that it’s her missions as of that day to help him embrace life, and to let go of his past. Should she fail her charge, it costs her life.

 

Her heart ached for him, at the amount of struggles he experienced in his earthly life.

 

“You really don’t say much, Miss Bae.” he chuckled to himself.

 

“Bae?”  she questioned. The name sounded memorable to her.

 

“Bae Su Ji. The agency told me that, they must have given you the key. I’m Lee Seung gi.” He told her, his fingers the piano keys. “You are the new housekeeper aren’t you?”  his tone was becoming concerned.

 

She had to remain calm. With all her power, she must never allow him, or anyone else, to discover the truth. She swallowed the lump in , forcing a weak voice.

 

“I…I am.”

 

He nodded, his gaze lingering on the piano, almost as if he could see every key. “You can have the room upstairs; the first door to the right. It has a view over the garden.” he gave her a warm smile as she still stood there. “I’ll show you the room. Follow me, you need to rest.”

 

 

Night slowly fell. She spent the day in the room he had prepared for the supposed housekeeper, fighting her own brain with everything she came to accept as fact for decades.

 

The lights turned off one after the other, declaring the middle of the night. At that time, she’s left to her own as humans sleep. She opened the curtains and stared at the moon. Trees stood out as their leaves were kissed by the moonlight; small birds took shelter in the rich branches.

 

The serene sight had her mind going over the events of the day, possibly the only day of her life that she couldn’t understand. She thought back to his smile, how despite everything he experienced, he still gave her a bright smile.

 

Perhaps it was because he couldn’t see the world around him that he came to feel it. Perhaps that was how he managed to know she existed.

 

Amongst the mess, confusion and eccentricity of the events of that day, she knew one thing: as the only man to ever see her, he was her only gateway to the world that aroused her curiosity her for so long.

 

A melody suddenly played, breaking her thoughts. She cautiously opened her door. It was his piano. He easily found his rhythm.

 

In her eternal existence, that was the most beautiful music she ever heard. It was heartfelt, warm and deep. It seemed to display every emotion he had on that early spring night. The moonlight accompanied his playing, and the scents of flowers filled her senses. It was a feast of art and beauty she never saw coming.

 

She carefully climbed down the stairs to find him in the centre of the hall. His face spoke of deep passion and indescribable sensations. She held onto the handrail, sinking down to a single step.

 

Bright light evaded the room as her wings emerged, enchanted as well with the music. They claimed their usual white, powder blue and delicate green hues. This was a sight humans drew in their imagination, but never once witnessed. He was the first man to elicit her wings. And he’ll never get to see them.

 

His playing stopped near dawn. He finally gave into sleep.

 

The moon departed only for the sun to take presence, just like the countless sunrises she witnessed before. The house was dreadfully quiet, nonetheless peaceful. Classic decorations, plants and flowers supported the stillness.

 

The windows were large, allowing a view on the rising sun. She stopped near the door. Cherry trees and orange blossoms welcomed her. Birds hopped along the grass. His golden retriever was taking a comfortable seat outside. He stared at her with a pointed look; nevertheless, she could distinguish his curiosity.

 

Her gaze then fell on the centre of the big garden, where a single teak chair was placed beneath a cherry tree. A small table was beside it.

 

 “Good morning.” she jumped as his voice rang with a sleepy tone. She relaxed instantly, though it intrigued her that he could know just where she’s standing

 

“Good morning, sir.”

 

He tried to hold back a yawn. “Don’t call me that. You’re younger than me right?”  wrong, definitely wrong. “So you’re free to call me oppa, you need to be comfortable with me since you’ll be here every day.” he stopped for a second, like something crossed his mind. “Did you manage to sleep last night? I needed to practice, I'm truly sorry.”

 

“It was beautiful, the playing. It really was.”

 

“Thank you.” she could tell her lips curled upwards with his. The silence between them had her heart racing.

 

The early rays of sunlight fell close to him. Her eyes adjusted to the gradual brightness as she took in the few furniture of the room. The wall facing her was painted a dull green colour. A large bookshelf was the only attraction of the room. Pictures of his family tinted the wall.

 

“My father taught me since I was a child; he was a pianist as well.” he continued.

 

He looked a lot like his father. They both had the same figure. He had a broad shoulder and muscular arms, his tan seemed to make his well-built body stand out even more. The messy morning hair gave him a juvenile appearance, yet she found it charming on its own. Her stomach suddenly tightened, a weird sensation growing inside. Her eyes squinted before facing the backyard again.

 

“The garden is quite lovely,” she remarked. “Do you take care of it yourself?” 

 

“I do. I love blossom trees you see.”

 

He went on to explain how sitting under the blooming trees always puts him at ease and helps to inspire him. She said nothing, but listened attentively. It was things like this that she really wanted to learn about, how humans can lose themselves in little things like that.

 

 

It had been two months since that fateful day. She slowly became accustomed to her cover as a housekeeper. She wanted to take care of him. She wanted to guide him when he finds troubles. It was her task, the very basis of her making. But more than anything else, it was what her heart wanted.

 

“Your tea is ready, oppa.” she placed the tray in front of him on the wooden table. She then took her usual seat beside him. The once lone chair beneath the trees now had a partner.

 

He smiled as he sipped into the rich taste. “You make the best tea.” she softly chuckled at the praise.

 

She didn’t know how this routine started. He was amused by her astonishment regarding the garden; therefore, he offered to add a seat for her to join him every evening through night.

 

They then grew used to it. Every day, she became eager to that time. It would often be quiet, and even that was special to her. However, every now and then, they’d fall into extended conversations about their world. She came to learn that he preferred fantasy over science as it offered more hope, his experience with politics was crude, his first crush was a woman from his neighbourhood, and his life was a vast space to explore.

 

She told him that one. He argued, telling her that it’s quite normal, rather dreary. He didn’t know that every insignificant life to exist has a purpose.

              

“I was reading a book last night,” she begun. He was clearly pleased. “It was from your bookshelf. I forgot the title.”

 

“Was it to your liking?”  he added a spoon of sugar while asking.

 

“Not really. I was confused with the order.”

 

He placed the cup down. She felt his excitement upon the subject. “Books have no order. You come to find it on your own. I believe that’s by CS Lewis.”

 

“It’s by Mark Twain.” she corrected.

 

He smirked. “You do read then!”

 

She giggled. It wasn’t rare for her now. He gave her many new experiences. Through him, she saw her first direct display of friendship, although he never knew. And while he treated her with care and assured her to be comfortable around him, she felt vulnerable. It was like stinging in her abdomen. Oddly enough, she enjoyed the sensation.

 

She came to realize the afternoon was now evening, marking the end of another day. There were always so many opportunities, yet she couldn’t achieve her mission. She didn’t know how to attain it. But she knew she must try.

 

“Can I ask you something?”  He crooked his head in anticipation. “Your books.” she paused. She was lost at how to frame her words. “How did you...they were.”

 

He gave into a tired sigh; he knew what she wanted to ask. It was only normal to cause her interest. “They were my father’s,” he told her. “I used to read them, before the incident.” He continued. “I don’t know why I’m keeping them really, they just hold many memories.”

 

“It’s a wonderful collection, you mustn’t give it away.” she saw a smile playing on his lips as she told him.

 

 

A few instants passed before she closed the book. He told her that’s a sign she’d just read a good book. The cracking fire was the only sound between them for a few more moments as she said goodbye to the world she entered over the past few days.

 

“How was it?”  he finally broke the silence.

 

“Amazing, It’s a brilliant ending as well.” she replied and he nodded.

 

“I also thought so back then.”

 

This became another thing to add to their routine. Every day at the evening, she’d sit and read one of his books. She grew a habit of reading the ones she liked out loud for him. He’d sit at the end of the daybed and listen to her every word. Her voice was so calming and soft, so melodious. There were days where he sleeps listing to her reading.

 

Every now and then, whenever an event would come up, or the midnight air would be inspiring to him, he’d play a new tune. And while she doesn’t sleep, the safety and easiness she’d feel would always have her closing her eyes.

 

Like the humans she merely watched, she lost herself into the world of music and literature.

 

His world.

 

“I’ll go to sleep. You can close the fireplace on your own right?”  he asked her.

 

While the world around them showed the signs of spring turning to the sunny season, the nights were still significantly cold on the mountainside location. He preferred to start the fire every night.

 

“I'll be sleeping as well.” she replied. “I have been looking forward to starting a new book though.”

 

He chuckled. “There’s always tomorrow.”

 

 

The late spring became midsummer, almost too fast for her liking. The pink shades of petals became their normal green, blood red cherries becoming their ornament. She watched everyday activities change in accordance to the season.

 

 “I love you,” she wiped off her tears and felt her nose running. “I have loved you at all times,” she reached for another paper tissue. “My love for you is indefinite, soaring across skies and elating us to the utmost heavens.”

 

She put the book down and turned to him, reckoning she looked like a mess by now.

 

“I’m sorry.”

 

“It’s alright.” he reached to pat her back.

 

Through the book she entered a world of magic and fairies, but the only thing she found magical about it was love. It didn’t break; it will last indefinitely. That was what she found most magical.

 

“It’s so embarrassing.”

 

“It’s alright.” he repeated. “It used to be my mother's favourite book, I’m surprised you lasted so long.” he remarked with a chuckle.  “Women usually cry way earlier.”

 

She almost froze at his words. A woman.

 

“You think of me as one, a woman?”  she asked in wonder.

 

“Certainly.” he readily replied.

 

“Do you really?” 

 

“I do.” he answered. “I see you as a beautiful woman.” his hand stopped rubbing her back. It rested still instead.

 

Her gaze remained focused on him as he inched closer. Slowly, one of his hands slipped onto hers. He caressed the small arcs of her hand. Her lips parted at the impossible stimulation his simple touch could give her sensitive skin. The space between them slowly grew smaller, smaller, until all that’s left was an inch. She knew what will happen now. She saw this before. He was going to...

 

Her thoughts broke as she felt his lips against hers. So soft, so stirring, so sensational. It overwhelmed every small cell in her being. Little by little, her body lost control. Her lips parted just a little bit more; he took the opportunity to demand more entrance. His hand slipped from her back to her waist. She could hear their joined moans into the kiss.

 

It spoke louder than any music or literature she had ever known. She lost herself far deeper than she ever thought possible. She wanted to know nothing more.

 

He took in the size of her slim shape as his arms wrapped around her, trapping her into his embrace. It was clear that she was inexperienced, and yet it seemed that she found her style so fast. It was deep. Her hair tangled around his fingers, her arms tugging on his shirt to bring him closer. He found a small piece of heaven in her lips.

 

It took a few moments for her hands to travel down his collar and into his neck. He cursed as he lifted her in his hold. He was soon pinning her against his piano, pushing the music sheets to the ground.  Her legs frantically tried to balance out with the stool. Their kiss lasted as his hands

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter