Chapter 4

Idol Life : SNSD's Tenth Member

Watched: American Dad

 

      January 13th, 2009

January 13th, 2009


 

"Shawty had them Apple Bottom jeans, jeans. Boots with the fur, with the fur," Echo sang around her toothbrush, swinging from side to side. "The whole club was lookin at her. She hit the flo, she hit the flo. Next thing you know. Shawty got low low low low, low low low low."

"Unnie, why are you on the floor?" Seohyun asked, an entertained smile on her face.

The elder jumped up, promptly spitting the toothpaste froth from . "I may have got too into the song I was singing. And what did I say about calling me unnie?"

Ignoring her question Seohyun said, "You have five minutes. Oh, and Tiffany-unnie said she wanted to see you before you left?"

Echo sighed, rolling her eyes. Tiffany had been on her ever since their comeback performance. Honestly, she didn’t understand her insistence on following her every single move. She knew her reasoning was because she claimed Echo was harming herself, but she didn’t see it. She was helping the group and her own image. What she was doing was beneficial, she just didn’t understand why Tiffany didn’t see it the same way.

"You ready?" Tiffany popped into the bathroom, making the guise of primping her hair in the mirror.

"Yes," the idol rolled her eyes, again. "We just have the Chin Chin radio today?"

"No, there's that Starry Starry Night thing too. It's right after, luckily they're both radio."

Wordlessly Echo pushed pass her member, walking out the front door. Hearing steps behind her she turned around, sending a confused look to Tiffany.

"I have a media class today."

Echo looked skeptical but nodded, continuing on to the waiting van.

The two best friends were silent throughout the short van ride to the SM building.

"I'll be back around five, a few of the other members are coming down after their own schedules," was all Kim Jiwook, one of their sub managers, said as the girls hopped out of the van.

Only the usual amount of fans were camped out in front of the label's office, of course they whipped out their cameras the second they saw the two Girls' Generation members enter said building.

Once the two reached the sanctity that is the indoors, Echo checked her cell phone only to frown. "My class was postponed by two hours… what the hell? Since when has an idols class been postponed?" The idol sighed, turning to her member stating, "I'll walk you to your class if you want."

Tiffany blinked, hastily saying, "My class doesn't start for another three hours."

Echo narrowed her eyes at the elders words. "Then why did you come at nine? There's another shuttle later, you could have asked the manager to take you with Hyoyeon."

"It was easier for Jiwook," was all she said. Gesturing her head towards hall leading to the girls studio, Echo silently followed the elder.

Echo flipped on the lights, the two the only ones in the studio.

It was weird. Just having two people when there's usually eleven (the members plus one manager) squeezed in. It made the spacious room look even larger.

"We should talk," Tiffany plopped down on the ground, stretching her thin legs out. "Just like how we used to on the roof when we were trainees."

Slowly, the younger member sat across from Tiffany. "It's been awhile since we just… talked. Hasn't it?"

"Without the constant cameras or over bearing fans you mean?"

"Yeah. Whenever we have free time we all just sleep. I feel like I haven't really had a decent conversation with one of the members in awhile."

"So how are you and Jonghyun?"

Echo was skeptical of where Tiffany wanted this conversation to go. After all, most of the members were annoyed about the relationship.

Noticing the others hesitation, Tiffany said, "You know I'm on your side with this. I saw your relationship coming a mile away ever since you had to give him vocal lessons before you joined the lineup. You could have told us, but I understand why you didn't. So spill."

Echo momentarily laughed, for once feeling rather light. The usual days stress levels were lowering, and she liked that. "I think it's going really good. We rarely fight which I think is a good sign. s are really supportive of the relationship too, which is awesome."

"Do you ever talk about anything serious?"

She raised an eyebrow. "What do you mean?"

"Like… problems you have," Tiffany looked away as she spoke, instead opting to look at her friends reflection in the mirror.

"You're talking about me throwing up, aren't you?" the female idol crossed her arms, eyes narrowing dangerously. "Well sorry that isn't the best conversation starter, it's more of an ender if you ask me."

"But this is serious. Don't you want his opinion on it?" Tiffany knew she was walking on an unsteady bridge, but she also knew it would be in her members best interest if her boyfriend could talk some sense into her. The only other person who knew was herself, and clearly Echo wasn't taking any of her words to heart. She needed another's word to combine with her own to force its way into Echo's thoughts. Otherwise, she knew the younger girl would never get the help she needs.

"Why would I?"

"Because you're hurting yourself."

With angered eyes, Echo stood up and made a beeline for the door.

"Are you just going to run whenever I try to talk some sense into you?!" Tiffany yelled, jumping up.

Echo whirled around, fire in her eyes. "And can you out of my business? I'm not hurting myself, I'm healthy! You can ask the stupid doctor!"

"That doctor is paid for by SM, who is more than happy to let their idols be underweight!" Tiffany spat.

"And how do you think SM would react when I gain a few pounds? I've been taking my acting classes really seriously lately, I really want them to give me a good acting role. But they're not going to give the fat member of Girls' Generation the role of a lifetime."

Tiffany scrunched her eyes shut, taking a deep breath before opening them again. "You're tall. You can gain a few pounds and no one would notice the difference."

The door swished open, Echo barely jumping out of the way in time for her face to not be slammed into the doors glass.

"Oh, there's just the two of you today?" Jonghyun asked, owlishly blinking with his puppy eyes.

The elder Girls' Generation member's lips grew into a smirk. "Jonghyun-ah, we were just talking about you. Echo has something to tell you." Echo sent her a dirty look.

"Really? What is it?" the SHINee member turned to his girlfriend, cocking his head to the side in question.

Echo didn't even turn towards the man, instead, her eyes squarely set on glaring into Tiffany's own dark eyes.

"You see," Tiffany never broke eye contact with her member as she spoke, "Echo here has a little problem that I would love to get some of your input on."

"Problem?" Jonghyun was growing more confused by the minute.

The woman bluntly stated, "She's bulimic."

Jonghyun coughed, chocking on his own spit in his shock. "W-what?"

However, before the words came from his mouth Echo was out the door, running down the hallway to who knows where.

She didn’t stop until she reached the hall that branched out to the project group studios. Sliding down the wall, she pulled her knees up to her chest.

What right does she have to tell someone something like that?

"Sungwon-ah, why does it seem I always find you sulking in hallways?"

Echo's head snapped up, frowning. "I am not sulking."

"Whatever you say," Donghae smirked, sliding down the wall to sit next to her. "What happened?"

The idol slowly shifted her eyes towards the adjacent wall. "Stuff…"

"What kind of stuff?" he prodded.

"It's Tiffany and I…"

"More girl problems?" he frowned. Lee Donghae was absolutely horrid with helping girls solve their problems, which he knew the younger girl knew from personal experience. "You guys are arguing on your birthday?"

Echo dryly laughed at the rememberence of the date. "I almost forgot it was my birthday. Well… it happens to both genders. But I think more so girls than boys."

"And that is?" Donghae went along with skipping the fact it was the younger idol's birthday.

Echo hesitated, lightly biting the tip of her tongue to stop herself from blurting anything out.

"Ah, so you can't tell me can you?"

No.

"If you can't tell me, then don't you feel some shame in it? If it's something you're proud of or feel neutral about, wouldn’t you scream it to the world without a care?"

He's got a point… Am I embarrassed?

"I won't ask what you did, because it's clearly personal and I don't want to pressure you into anything. But, if it's causing this much grief between you two, wouldn’t it be better if you stopped whatever it is you're doing and makeup with your best friend?"

But I don't wholly believe what I'm doing is wrong. If I throw up every once and awhile to control my weight, then there should be no issue. I'm doing it for me and for my fellow members. I'm helping us… right?

"Here," Donghae shifted, retrieving his phone from his back pocket. He handed it to the younger idol saying, "Call your mom. I know you don't get your phones during promotions. She might make you feel better."

Echo softly smiled at the man, graciously taking the device, punching in her mother's number she held it up to her ear.

"Mom?"


Is it just me or is there a weird vibe between Tiffany and Echo? Weren't they super close?

Which one is Echo again?

She doesn't seem that special to me. She's pretty, and she has a good personality, but I just can't stand how she's constantly showering everyone around her with skin ship.

 

 

I'm gonna try and keep the dates according to the Korean calender, not American/Whoever else is in a similar time zone instead of jumping around because I'm even confusing myself -_-

P.S. I might re-write this chapter later I'm not too happy with how it came out...