Summer Heat

XOXO Cafe : LuMay Oneshot Collection

Summer Heat (1.3K)

      Summer seemed to last forever.

      Lu Han didn’t know how long he could take the summer heat and it had only been a week. He had deemed the weather to hot that if you tried to fry an egg on a sidewalk, it would burn instantly. He especially dreaded his afternoon shifts because he had to suffer through the blazing heat walking to the cafe and it didn’t help that the café’s uniform was long sleeved.

      He slouched into one of the many chairs while Sehun walked towards the entrance to hang the sign, informing customers that they were closed for lunch. Rolling up his sleeves up to his elbows and loosening his black skinny tie, he tilted his head back and let out a groaned; how he hated serving the customers that were seated outside.

      “Sehun, lower the temperature would you?”

      The younger raised an eyebrow, “Hyung, it’s 18 degrees in here. It’s cool enough.” Lu Han looked at the younger with narrowed eyes, “I didn’t see you outside serving customers in that heat.”

      “Well I still can’t do it hyung, Maylin said not to lower it any further.” Sehun shrugged. Lu Han groaned again and he had half the mind to just lie on the floor because ing hell I swear I’m going to get a heat .

      “Come on Sehun, she’s not here. I’ll turn it back up before she comes.”

      “Your girlfriend’s orders dude.” Sehun smirked before going around the counter and disappearing into the kitchen, no doubt to disturb Yixing about lunch and--

      Yeah, Lu Han didn’t care anymore. He slid from the chair down to the floor and lay on his back, eyes closed as he sighed in content of the cool feeling he got from the tiled floor. He heard a chuckle not that far away and he expected it to be the younger but instead when he peeked opened an eye, he saw Henry leaning over the counter with amusement dancing in his eyes.

      “What?”

      “Nothing, nothing. It’s funny, you know? Seeing the Lu Han, campus playboy, lying on the floor whining about the heat.”

      Lu Han closed his eyes and scowled, “I’m not a playboy anymore.”

      “Yeah but you were so this is just plain funny.” He rolled his eyes behind his lids, “Glad that I amuse you.”

      Henry just hummed and started busying himself with the coffee machine, “Want something to drink?”

      “An Iced Americano would be great.”

      “Coming right up.”

      Lu Han heard the soft chime of the bell filling up the empty café. His eyebrows furrowed in confusion but he still didn’t get up from the floor, instead he wondered who would walk in when there was a flashy (Ai Xue and Kim made sure it was flashy as possible with bright markers and glitter) sign on the door with big bright blue glittering LUNCH BREAK BRB @ 4PMscrawled across it.

      He also wondered why Henry was laughing and not informing the blind customer that they were closed for lunch. Unless it was the girls and their back from their lunch but it was still a little too early since they’re usually back at least five minutes before four. Lu Han didn’t really care though because he’s not going to move from his spot on the floor no matter wh--

      “Han, what are you doing lying on the floor?”

      His eyes snapped opened and he was met with dark brown eyes judging him silently.

      He gasped and quickly sat up, regretting it the moment he did when his vision went black for a second. Blinking a few times to clear his vision, he looked at his girlfriend and was going to give her a snarky answer to her question but his breath silently hitched in his throat and his jaw dropped and--

      Wow.

      Just wow.

      Maylin was crouched by his side, her side bangs pinned up, eyebrows furrowed and her lips tugged down into a frown and Lu Han would have found it adorable if it wasn’t for what she was wearing.

      She was wearing a black tank top with light blue shorts. It was simple and not really gaudy but it was the first time Lu Han was seeing his girlfriend showing so much skin and if he just looked a little lower-- he mentally slapped himself.

      No. Bad Lu Han, bad.

      “Are you okay Han?” Maylin asked worriedly, tilting her head to the side. Lu Han snapped his mouth shut and nodded, jaw tensed. He was not going to think about how smooth her neck looked or-- he slapped himself for real now.

      “I-I’m fine.” He cleared his throat, embarrassed at himself and how his voice cracked, “I’m fine. Just the heat getting to me that’s all.” Lu Han tried smiling, hoping that it would be enough to get that worry look off her face but she still remained crouched beside him, frown still on her lips.

      After a moment of nothing but silence (and maybe Henry’s muffled laughter), Maylin sighed and nodded, “Fine, if you say so. If the heat is that bad, you can lower the temperature until break’s over.” She gave Lu Han a peck on the cheek before standing up, adjusting her backpack strap on her shoulder and holy , she’s wearing those platform sneakers and I never knew her figure was--

      Down boy.

      “Anything you want to drink Maylin?” Henry grinned and the brunette smiled, “Hot chocolate please.”

      “Hot chocolate in this weather? You’re weird.” Sehun commented, walking out of the kitchen with two plates in hand piled high with food. Maylin stuck her tongue out right when Yixing came out with two more plates. His eyes widened in surprised when he saw her, “Oh Maylin, what are you doing here? Your shift isn’t until six.”

      The brunette shrugged, “Need to go through the accounts and check on next week’s stock.” Yixing and Sehun placed the plates on the table closest to Lu Han, who was still on the floor in a daze, “Want to join us for lunch?”

      “Yeah sure, let me just put my bag in the break room.” She smiled and made her way around the counter and into the kitchen. The three males made sure that the brunette was out of earshot before turning to the dazed blond on the floor.

      “Lu Han stop drooling and get up from the floor.” Yixing chided, biting back the smile that was tugging on the corners on his lips. Henry pulled Lu Han up onto his feet and grinned, “I guess this place just got a bit hotter, huh?”

      Sehun decided to join in on the fun of teasing the elder, slinging his arm over Lu Han’s shoulders with a smirk, “Gosh hyung, control your hormones. Wouldn’t want to get too now would we?”

      Lu Han snapped out of his stupor and blinked before his eyes narrowed into a glare, trying to ignore the heat that was settling on his cheeks. He opened his mouth, ready to showcase his wonderful vocabulary to his friends but snapped his mouth shut when the door to the kitchen swung opened.

      Maylin raised an eyebrow when the guys suddenly became quiet the moment she stepped out of the kitchen, “What’s going on?”

      “N-Nothing. Come on, let’s eat. I’m starving.” Lu Han said quickly, wrapping his arm around her waist and stirring her to the table. He shot the guys one last glare over his shoulder and he was irritated at the fact his glare seemed to have no effect on his smug friends. He decided to ignore them and pulled Maylin onto his lap when he had taken a seat, wrapping both arms around her waist and resting his chin on her shoulder.

      Despite the temperature being a hundred degrees out, summer didn’t seem so bad to Lu Han anymore.

      (Lu Han took it back a week later; he was getting pissed off at all the guys eyeing his girl.)