In a jam

Awkward encounter

Mahua tossed in bed for the umpteenth time. "Why did I do something so stupidly impulsive?!", she cursed her temper again, then cursed her brother aloud. After all if it hadn't been for years spent competing with him and his friends, she wouldn't have learnt boxing and gained her judo black belt. All through her childhood Mahua had had only boys for company. Playing with her brother and his friends had meant learning to take care of herself and using her fists in an intimidating situation had become an instinct for her.

She knew that these were all excuses. She wasn't a teenage tomboy any longer and there was simply no excuse for her behaviour. Restlessly she wondered how bad the situation was. Had the incident leaked to the media already? The man was after all a famous star. Again, she cursed her luck. Of all the people, why did it she have to run into him! And what in God's name was he doing grabbing her shoulders out of nowhere like that? I mean she barely knew him, right?. A blush stole over her cheeks as the image of his hands on her bare waist sprang to her mind. Ok, so she had met him but they were barely acquaintances who had worked together for a day. Mahua sighed wondering what her course of action should be. She would probably have to apologise to him formally, and brief her legal and PR team, in case the incident went public. They would need to have a common story to tell the media should the occasion arise. Of course, all bearing in mind that he may sue her for assault first! Scratch that, she would need to beg him. To figure out a reasonable explanation to the accident, and get him to agree to support her story. Tense and nervous, she finally gave up on getting any sleep that night.

It was mid-morning when Mahua returned to her desk at office. She had finally made up her mind, and was just about to ask Sarah to put a call through to Mr. Lee Min Ho, when she saw her assistant walking up to her with a package. 

"This was just hand-delivered for you. They said it was urgent so I brought it right in. Let me get you a cup of coffee meanwhile". Smiling, an oblivious Sarah left the package in her hands and hurried out to the pantry. Tearing open the package from Starhaus; an entertainment agency that worked with several of the models endorsing her company's products; Mahua expected it to be contracts or papers for urgent signing. 

Inside was a typed sheet that said "Press Briefing", a rock show ticket and a hand written note. The typed sheet detailed the incident from last night, explaining that it was an "unfortunate case of mistaken identity" and that the perpetrator had "obviously acted in self-defense". Confused, Mahua glanced at the brief note with it. "For damage control, I suggest we both stick to this story in case the need arises. I have briefed my PR people to prevent the story from leaking, but it seems to have made it to some fan blogs. I shall pick you up at 7 PM from your hotel lobby. Dress like you had when we first met. Seeya, LMH"

Stunned, Mahua leaned back in her chair. Her first reaction was relief at the Press Brief, quickly superimposed by indignation at the presumptuous note that accompanied it. "Just who does he think he is to order me around?" Snorting, Mahua tore the note maliciously and chucked it at the bin. Getting up, she paced the room angrily just as Sarah came back in with a cup of steaming, much needed fortifier.

Noting the harrowed expression on her boss's face, Sarah abruptly wiped her smile and sat down at the small couch, beckoning to Mahua to join her. Sighing gratefully, Mahua took the proffered seat. In the short month that they had worked together, Sarah had become a habit. She was cheerful yet circumspect and super efficient. She had quickly learnt to read her boss's moods and preferences and seemed indispensable now. Her bubbly, outgoing personality in sharp contract with Mahua's own made them warm upto each other immediately. Frequently, Mahua had found herself bouncing off her thoughts and problems with the sharp young girl. 

Fifteen minutes later, a round-eyed Sarah was holding Mahua's hands. " You muust swallow your pride and go Boss! I mean quite apart from the fact that this man has all the women in office drooling over him, it's the most practical course of action for you. You don't want to antagonize him right now."

That evening, Mahua paced around the lobby nervously rehearsing her conversation with Lee Min Ho. In fit of sheer defiance she had worn a formal black silk cocktail dress. Very formal, with a high collar it gave her the reserved, aloof air she much needed. Although it was the only long, high-neck dress she possessed, it had cut-outs on both her sides at the waist and she wondered if she should have carried a stole with it. 

A minute later, a polite male voice she now recognised, woke her from her reverie "Good evening Mahua-Shi, I am sorry to have made you wait. Are you ready to leave?" Behind her, Mahua could hear the murmurs of a few people who had probably recognised the elegantly dressed man standing in front. With a tight smile, Mahua quickly nodded, allowing herself to be led to the entrance before they attracted any more attention.

Lee Min glanced at the girl seated beside him. Nervously clasping and unclasping her tiny fingers, she looked surprisingly delicate for someone who had almost knocked him out last night. At six feet two inches, Lee Min was tall by most standards and took pride in his fitness. For a moment last night, he had been stunned by the girl's sudden reaction. In truth, he wasn't sure why he had approached her in the first place and that was what was bothering him.

Sitting with a couple of friends in one of the tables near the bar, he'd been casually observing the friday night crowd when he had spotted her walking in, escorted by a Chinese man in a formal suit. At first glance, they had seemed colleagues out for an evening drink after work. Somehow his eyes had followed her to where the couple had been seated on the upper floor. The glass wall making it possible for him to get a direct view of their booth. As the evening progressed, Lee Min found himself distracted from the conversation at his table, frequently glancing up at the booth upstairs. He noticed the man getting progressively drunker and more aggressive. He could sense the girl's growing discomfort. 

For a short while, the waiter serving food at their table blocked his view. When he finally looked up again, he was just in time to see Mahua disappearing down the stairs and out of his sight. She seemed to have left on her own.

After a few more drinks, Lee Min was passing by the bar on his way back from the restroom, when his eyes fell on the figure of Mahua sitting alone in a corner with one hand ruffling her hair while the other circled the top of a fat glass of scotch on the rocks, deep in thought. Some crazy impulse made his walk to where she was sitting. Touching her shoulders to draw her attention he was about to say hi, when the seated woman suddenly spun around and lunged at him. Deep in thought, he wondered what about this tomboyish girl had him so keyed up. At the shoot she had seemed so fragile and nervous that he'd felt deeply protective. Like she needed protection! Smiling to himself, he absently rubbed his still sore jaw.

Mahua sat quietly, the silence around them deepening. The low slung flashy sports car was so typical of a playboy actor that she almost felt like chuckling at the cliche. Glancing quickly at him, she was at once cutely aware of his physical proximity, their legs almost brushing. As she saw him rub his jaw, a stab of conscience pricked her. She had expected him to make snide remarks pointed at making her grovel for his mercy, gaining a smooth upper hand in the interaction. Yet he hadn't once referred to last night's meeting. He hadn't tried to get cosy or make a pass, which was the other possibility she had had running through her mind. Which brought to her to the question that had been plaguing her since she received his note and invitation. Why had he wanted to meet with her?

Deciding to attack it head-on, she turned to question him directly. Just then, their eyes met. Time stood still as they stared at each other. Moments passed, neither of them spoke. Then suddenly, Lee Min turned his attention back on the road and took a turn, bringing them to the entrance of a non-descript looking building. " I thought we could have a drink before heading to the concert. I think we both owe each other an explanation. This is my favorite Japanese place and it guarantees privacy. I hope you like Sushi", he muttered, as he stopped and handed the keys to the valet waiting outside. 

Seated at a private cubicle inside the quaint traditional Japanese restaurant, Mahua glanced around her. The place was obviously exclusive, and used to clientele who expected complete privacy. The stewardess had shown them in at once seeing Lee Min, who seemed to know her well. They seemed to know what he wanted, as a bottle of soju was served alongwith a few plates of delectably fresh looking sushi, before the waitress quietly exited the room, leaving them alone.

Lee Min waited for her to pour herself the drink, then filled his glass and raised it in the ceremonial "Khambe" before downing it in one shot. "I assume you went over my proposed press briefing," he broached. Suddenly a grin transformed his handsome boyish face." I must admit, you pack quite a punch for a tiny little thing!" he continued. "I do believe I deserve an explanation for what happenned last night. But, that can come later. First, I would like to thank you for your time. I hope you agree that the best way to deal with this publicly, is to stay as close to the truth as possible." He looked at Mahua. " I hope I am right in assuming that punch was not meant for me. You'll dash my ego to bits if you deny it," his eyebrows rose questionningly. Embarassed, Mahua looked down and nodded, a sheepish grin on her face. With an exaggerated sigh of relief, Lee Min continued." Well, thanks for that vote of confidence. I almost had a heart-attack while I waited for your response! So, now that you hadn't meant to hit me, I figure that the best way to make our story believable was to be seen together publicly, on friendly terms. Hence the tickets. I hope you are with me so far?", he queried. 

Realising that he was making more sense that she had given him credit for, Mahua nodded again. " I guess I owe you an apology for last night. I hope you weren't hurt badly. I really don't know what got into me. Honestly, I had no idea it was you behind me!" she offered. Lee Min was looking at her strangely. Their eyes caught as he nodded understandingly, "It was that man you were with wasn't it? You thought he was trying to make a move on you when I held your shoulders isn't it?" He questionned, looking straight into her eyes. Surprised at his insight and embarassed by it she nodded, breaking the eye contact as she glanced down flushing. "Normally it wouldn't be any of my business, but since I am the victim here, you mind telling me about him? If nothing it will ease your mind to share" he probed gently.