Saturday night blues

Awkward encounter

Mahua climbed into the backseat of the chauffeur driven car sent for her. Nervously, she smoothed the elegant tan and black pencil skirt she had paired with her favorite black & gold embroidered top. She checked her face in the mirror. Hair moussed and tamed: check; black dewdrop earrings and a gold chocker necklace looking just dressy enough: check; just a dash of gold shadow and a hint of gloss. She was looking simple but chic.

As the driver navigated peak hour traffic, Mahua prepped herself for the evening of schmoozing ahead. The event was the standard marketing affair; a gathering of the top media folk in the country. The place would be teeming with top marketing executives, advertising professionals and any number of stars from TV and movie. Thankfully all she had to do was to hobnob with a few of peers, get introduced to a list of people her assistant had detailed her on, smile, make small talk and exit quietly in an hour. A few of her colleagues from the region would also be there. And in all probability that would include the annoying Sales Manager Chang-Lee. She silently prayed he would not bring up their dis-agreement tonight. She just didn't have the stamina to deal with that right now!

Mahua walked into the lobby already bustling with smartly dressed people in evening wear. Inside, the large hall was brightly lit with chandeliers, an arrangement of small tables in frosty white linen & delicate flower arrangements covering the room. Champagne glasses clinked and the general hum of conversation could be heard over light jazz music. Be-jewelled women in long cocktail dresses adorned the floor. Men in smart evening jackets and format suits grouped together talking shop, and probably golf handicaps. 

An hour later Mahua headed back from the restroom. She had spent the best part of the hour being introduced to a number of important folk in the business. Her mind swimmed as she tried uselessly to match names with the faces she had been introduced to. Signalling to her assistant, Mahua asked her to let the country manager know she was ready to leave. Collecting her bag, she downed the single glass of champagne she had been carrying around all evening, and turned to leave. 

" Hello gorgeous!, Leaving already? But I was looking for you all evening my dear, " As she heard herself addressed by the Hong Kong accent, Mahua's heart sank. Trust the pesky man to catch her here. Turning, she schooled her features into a polite smile coming face to face with Mr. Chang Lee. He had obviously not given up on the contract changes. And argument seemed inevitable.

For the umpteenth time Mahua cursed the Asian culture of mixing work with pleasure. She would have infinitely preferred a meeting at office to iron out their differences over the impending deal. Realising that the man wasn't going to back down she confronted him with studied nonchalance. "Oh, Good evening Mr. Lee. Good to see you could make it tonight. I had been meaning to discuss some business with you. Do you feel up to leaving early and going somewhere a little quieter?" 

She could see the change in his expression. He had obviously not expected her to throw down the gauntlet. Qiuckly recovering himself Chang Lee smiled, a little too politely, " But of course, you are a busy woman. If you can spare the time, I would be grateful." 

45 minutes later Mahua was seated in a sofa cubicle around a low table in an exclusive looking lounge. Wooden panelling seperated the tables creating quiet corners where you could talk business. One wall of the room was entirely glass, with a view to the noisier, hipper bar below. She had tried to keep the conversation focused, but Chang Lee seemed to have decided on a more circuitous route. A long interview had followed with him asking pointed questions about her life, her background and her personal tastes; answered by Mahua in quiet monosylables or side-stepped as best possible without being rude. While she was still on her first glass of scotch, her companion seemed to have downed his fifth drink already. Already loquacious from the inferred intimacy of their being alone, the alcohol was making him bolder by the minute. 

Draining the glass in his hand, Chang Lee leaned over and smiled ingratiatingly at her. She could smell the whiskey on his breath. "Don't you think we can work something out between us? We are after all in the same boat!", he slurred. " We both know you aren't going to last too long here without friends. It's not a job for a woman. Why don't we try to get along. You scratch my back, I scratch yours, as they say". Disgusted, Mahua extricated herself from the sofa and excused herself to the restroom. She needed some space to figure out how to deal with this situation. More importantly, she needed to put a leash on her rising anger before she did something stupid. He was after all a colleague she would have to interact with in the future.

As she made her way back to the cubicle, she could see Chang Lee talking on the phone. Making a sudden decision to leave before things became ugly, Mahua headed down the stairs quickly. As she reached the lower floor, she could feel the general bonhomie of a saturday night around her. Here, the crowd comprised well-heeled, well-dressed young people out to have a good time with friends. A sudden wave of exhaustion overcame Mahua. The dimly-lit bar swam into view and suddenly, all she wanted was to nurse a stiff drink and forget her problems for a while. Quickening her steps, she made for an empty stool at the bar counter and beckoned to the bartender. 

Toying with her glass of gin and tonic, Mahua was lost in thought when she felt large hands squeeze her shoulders.  Counting five seconds in her head, she sized up the height and distance of her target,  as searing anger jolted her senses. In one swift motion she had swung around in her seat, jumped up and landed a sharp upper cut at the jaw of the man. Taken completely by surprise, the man staggered before reaching out to steady himself against the bar counter. When he looked up, his teeth were bloody and an expression of shocked dis-belief was written all over his face.

The same face Mahua had fantasized over, ever since the shoot last Monday. An audience had gathered by then and a hushed silence surrounded them.Within minutes a few burly men appeared beside her. The man shook his head slightly, and at the signal, they left her side, helped him up and escorted him out through what looked like a side entrance.

When  she woke from her daze, she was being gawked at by a whole roomful of people. Urgent whisperings were rustling across the room. Several people seemed to be pointing fingers in her direction with awed expressions on their faces.

Quickly putting down more than the tab, Mahua picked up her bag and studiously avoiding all eye contact, made her way out with as much dignity as she could gather. Her phone against her ear, with the chauffeur on speed dial.