Chapter 4

Agassi 아가씨

Chapter 4

 

The next morning, no one came out of their room.

 

“It’s Sunday and no one comes out?” Mr. Hwang who just came back from the business trip asked the servants. Mr. Kim, the chauffer fumbled as he thought of Kyungsoo pleading him not to tell anyone about the incident.

 

“They’re probably sleeping,” he replied. Mr. Hwang seemed to buy what he said as he proceeded to his own room.

 

Mr. Kim heaved a relief sigh and reminded the other servants to keep their mouth shut about what happened yesterday.

 

 

 

Kyungsoo faced the mirror as he examined his bruises. After applying ointment and covering it using some powder, they’re kind of concealed, but still visible. Yesterday’s fight was indeed terrible, his right eye and lips were swollen, not to say other bruises on her cheeks and jaws. Fortunately, his nose was alright.

 

Yeah, alright.

 

Kyungsoo chuckled ironically at the thought, what happened yesterday were something he wanted to forget at all costs. He was not in his right mind, everything was a mistake. And now I hope I could turn back the clock. Stupid me, Tch.

 

 

Kyungsoo straightened his black suit and reassured that he was already neat. He fished out his phone, sighed for the nth time that morning and walked out of the room. But before he closed the door, he took one last look and smiled faintly, as if mocking someone, or maybe himself.

 

Whatever will happen, well, may it happens.

 

 

It’s Sunday and Daeyoung decided to just stay on bed. She felt tired, not physically, but mentally. Kai and Kyungsoo, the problems just suddenly appeared and were now piling up on her shoulders. She couldn’t believe Kyungsoo had feelings for her.

 

Does she love Kai? Yes, but she didn’t know whether it’s still there or not.

 

Does she love Kyungsoo? She didn’t know, she wanted to say no, but the small spark in her heart seemed to say something else. She didn’t regard Kyungsoo as a butler, but didn’t hold any special feelings to him either. He was just... a friend. But why did his image keep forming in her mind? Why not Kai’s? Has she got over him? This soon?           

 

After the revelation last night, Daeyoung had started to doubt her feelings. Did she really think Kyungsoo just as a friend? Has she been fooling around Kai all this time?

 

Daeyoung was confused. This was the consequences when facts were mixed up. The line dividing between yes and no, right or wrong, was vague. There’s no specific measurement, and that’s why Daeyoung wanted to spend her day, even it might sound ridiculous, to sort things out.

 

Bum!

 

Daeyoung turned to look at the door when she heard a dull thud. Everything’s fine with her room, this only meant the sound came from Baekhyun’s room. Daeyoung closed her eyes, not bothering to check what had happened, she was really tired or lazy that moment, but speaking of whom, Daeyoung immediately grew worried with Baekhyun, the boy had been putting himself into the fight in hope of separating the two males. From what she saw last night, Baekhyun was equally injured, although not as bad as the two other men.

 

Suddenly, a feeling of guilt crept to her, she had not checked Baekhyun’s condition. Well, the younger one didn’t deserve to endure that, he was trying to do something good. The siblings might always be seen together, but little did the others knew, their relationship wasn’t so close as then. Since high school, Daeyoung and Baekhyun seemed to grow more apart. In the past, the three of them, Baekhyun, Daeyoung, and Kyungsoo would always stick together. Now, when the two of them were together, things always got awkward.

 

Dammit! Daeyoung silently cursed as she stuffed her head into the pillow. She couldn’t believe she had again added another problem to be sorted out! She really hoped everything would be settled really soon.

 

 

The next morning, The Hwang siblings finally reappeared to the Earth, only with a lifeless face. They sat across each other and idly picked up their fork.

 

Baekhyun’s face looked troubled, while Daeyoung’s, well, she looked terrible. There were bags under her eyes, her lips were dry and pale, it even cracked at some parts.

 

Mr. Hwang himself also had a somber expression, making him didn’t take any notice to his children. Everyone ate their breakfast quietly until Mr. Hwang put down his fork with a dull cling, signaling he was about to say something.

 

Baekhyun wiped his lips and rested his back to the chair, not bothering to look at Mr. Hwang, he looked so helpless and hurt. While Daeyoung, she was just staring at her scrambled egg and constantly heaved a sigh.

 

“Kids, I have something to tell you.”

 

 

“Kyungsoo is leaving.”

 

 

“What?”

 

Baekhyun spat hoarsely almost as soon as Mr. Hwang finished his sentence. Daeyoung closed her lips back and resumed eating, but her appetite had hidden itself away from her. So, forcing herself, she took one last big bite and settled down.

 

“So, have you arranged me a substitute, Appa?”

 

Baekhyun turned to her in disbelief. How can you act so calm after the hurricane two days ago? Baekhyun wanted to ask his noona that, but seeing the white of her knuckles, Baekhyun knew better to just shut up.

 

“Substitute? Why? I think you’re capable of handling everything on your own for just a few days, besides, you’ve got Ms. Kim as your PA,” Mr. Hwang said in a reasonable tone and Daeyoung furrowed her brows.

 

Mr. Hwang tilted his head, “You know what I mean right? Kyungsoo is visiting his sister in Goyang.”

 

Oh.

 

 

Kyungsoo parked his car in front of a modest apartment, he smiled at one of the caretaker and went inside the lift. The lift made a loud ‘ding’ sound on floor 7 and Kyungsoo stepped out of it. He headed for the room at the corner. He slung up his grey backpack and took a deep breath.

 

The door opened before he could press the bell, a boy, maybe at the age of 5, gaped at Kyungsoo, but was soon followed by a squeal and he threw himself at Kyungsoo and cuddled at him like a koala.

 

Hyung is home!”

 

“He’s your uncle Hwan, call him uncle,” said a petite lady wrapped in typical apron. Her black hair was tied in messy bun, her eyes gave out a hint of tiredness, but in Kyungsoo eyes, she was one of the strongest ladies he knew, his noona.

 

“But hyung good become my hyung!” the kid whined in Kyungsoo’s arm. But the complaint was soon replaced by giggle as Kyungsoo rocked him up and down, pretending to bring him fly.

 

The lady shook her head, smiled, and set out the table.

 

 

 

“Finally decided to help your sister to do chore, huh?” Yeonsoo on the bed beside Kyungsoo and gently folded up his clothes. Kyungsoo put his hands over hers, the elder simply past the button up shirt she was folding to him.

 

“Usually you will wait till the very last day of the Festival to come here,” Yeonsoo stopped to peer at his son who was taking a nap before turning to Kyungsoo again, frowning at his bruises, but Kyungsoo gently shook his head, asking her not to worry.

 

“So, lucky guess, girl?” The expression on her face was as if she had known the issue even before it happened.

 

Kyungsoo chuckled, “As sharp as ever, but that can come second, I’m here to ask you this, and maybe it’s related?” Kyungsoo said, which sounded like a question. They didn’t grow up together, with Kyungsoo staying with their father in the Hwang mansion, and Yeonsoo staying with their mother here, but Kyungsoo did visit here from time to time. In the past, he always visited here after school, everyday, but now that both their parents had passed away, adding the facts that Yeonsoo had got married and him being a butler replacing his father, the visits lessened. Only once a month, like this time.

 

 

Yeonsoo traced her thin fingers along the manila folder, “You always know that this is appa’s dream,” she sniffed and placed the folder back on Kyungsoo’s lap, “Isn’t this just great? Oh, my dongsaeng, I’m proud!” Yeonsoo wrapped Kyungsoo in a big bear hug.

 

Kyungsoo cuddled his sister and muttered, “And here comes the second problem.”

 

Yeonsoo parted from the warm hug and gave Kyungsoo a look. Kyungsoo gnawed on his lips and Yeonsoo raised both her brows, a failed attempt of an eyebrow-raising, “Frankly, that’s silly.”

 

“But-

 

“You are wise by nature, always act with full consideration, calculating all the ifs, benefits and whatsoever. And here you’re planning to reject this blue moon offer because of, a girl?”

 

“But if I go there now, I am going to lose her forever.”

 

“For sure?”

 

“Sure.” Kyungsoo answered determinedly, by the time he came back, Daeyoung would have been married to some rich man. Yeonsoo rested her back on the wall, crossed her hands, and thought. Not for answer, but for words. After some while, she took Kyungsoo’s hands in hers.

 

“You’re demanded to venture deep into the world at anytime possible, but sometimes, life just need a halt, a stop.” She fixed her eyes on his, “You’re still young, don’t take a hasty decision that might break you down. I know you will choose the best option, this week, spend time calculating the odds, by the time comes, whatever decision you take, I will let go.” Yeonsoo slowly stood up and kissed Kyungsoo’s forehead.

 

Before she went out, she whispered to him, “Besides, love is one unpredictable substance,” she smiled dreamily to herself, “Talk about chemistry.”

 

Umma? What is love and chemlisty?” Hwan asked sleepily and Yeonsoo picked up her son, telling him somewhat a funny story as they walked away from Kyungsoo’s room.

 

Kyungsoo stared at the manila folder and chuckled. What had he been up to this time?

 

 

 

Daeyoung drummed her fingers as she skimmed through the data in her laptop. She looked at the clock, then at the screen, then at the ticking device again. It went repeatedly like that before Daeyoung stood up from her armchair. 4pm. Quite tolerable for an early day-off.

 

“Soojung-ah, I have finished signing everything, you can collect it on my desk. I’m leaving early. Don’t mess with anything,” Daeyoung stated curtly and brusquely walked towards the elevator.

 

6 days, Kyungsoo had left for 6 days. She couldn’t stand, she wanted to meet him. She couldn’t shoo away his image from her mind. The last time she experienced this was in high school. She admitted it was Kai then and she couldn’t think of anything more.

 

The golden door pried open, revealing a pale Baekhyun. The younger lad smirked, which looked more like a tired smirk, “An early ride, maybe?”

 

 

 

“You look like a walking zombie, reminding me of my Literature teacher,” Daeyoung commented as she sat on the passenger seat beside Baekhyun.

 

“Surprised you still remember her,” Baekhyun replied. But Daeyoung caught edge in his remark.

 

“What’s wrong Baekhyun?”

 

“What’s wrong? I should be the one to ask what’s wrong with you!”

 

Daeyoung furrowed her brows but before Baekhyun could burst into lava, she cut him, “Hey, you can’t boldly holler at me if I don’t even know my own fault.”

 

That seemed to hold Baekhyun, “You’re going to visit Kyungsoo.”

 

Daeyoung creased eyebrows now met into a line, “Yeah, can’t I? He’s my butler.”

 

“You can’t.”

 

A spark of fire ignited inside Daeyoung, “Stop being irrational, for real, What. Is. Wrong. With. You?” She said the last sentence in staccato.

 

“Because if you go meet him, he will stay here and it’s not good,” Baekhyun spluttered the words, but soon knew Daeyoung was clueless. Baekhyun heaved a shaky breath, “Kyungsoo is leaving soon, not to Goyang, but abroad. He is offered this scholarship for an Art University in Belgium about a week ago.” His volume decreased into what seemed desperate, “You know how much his dad craved for this opportunity.”

 

“It’s good, right? Why does he not tell me this?” Daeyoung said and when Baekhyun shot her a rage look.

 

 

Her eyes widened, “You don’t mean. That time-

 

“Yes, that very time when he confessed to you. He loves you, and do you think he will still have the will to accept the scholarship? To leave you?” Daeyoung was tongue-tied, it was as if she was slapped with truth, right on her face. She didn’t want Kyungsoo to leave her. But it was his dream, his and his father’s.

 

“Ridiculous, of course he will accept the offer. If he doesn’t, then I will make him pursue his dream.”

 

Baekhyun scoffed, “Life is not a series of math problems that always have fixed answers. Do you think he will listen to you? No, he won’t. Don’t be such a self-centered, because he always listens to you doesn’t mean he will obey everything you ask.” Baekhyun lowered his head, “Because I failed to ban him from meeting you, what I can do is doing the way around, forbidding you. Please noona, I beg you, just let Yeonsoo noona convince him to accept it.”

 

Daeyoung stayed static with her transfixed on Baekhyun’s figure. So pathetic, gone was the optimistic Baekhyun, all was left in front of her was a lost soul, similar to a kicked puppy. Pathetic, too pathetic. Daeyoung narrowed her eyes and brushed her fringe, “Can you guarantee a 100% succession from keeping me away from him? If Kyungsoo’s will is to stay here, then, even Yeonsoo unnie can’t convince him, she is known to be always supportive of whatever Kyungsoo chooses.”

 

Daeyoung crossed her hands, “Besides I shouldn’t be the one to be blamed, you’re acting immature. Hoping to persuade Kyungsoo? Do it yourself! Why bother getting angry and all at me? It’s because you don’t have the power to do that. One thing for sure, if you want him to accept the scholarship, I’m the only one that can make him do it, because I’m the reason behind this.” Daeyoung halted to catch her breath, but when Baekhyun opened his lips to argue, she continued, “You’re the one who is wrong if you think your plan will work.” That successfully shut Baekhyun up.

 

“No matter what you said, I will still visit him. Dare you to stop me,” Daeyoung stepped out of his car, now clearly knew that Baekhyun wouldn’t bring her to Kyungsoo. She was about to turn her heels when she heard a whimper. Tch! Crybaby.

 

 

But then, Daeyoung stopped her pace, sighed, and bent her back towards the bare window only to watch Baekhyun fiddled with his hands. At least no sobbing session.

 

Baekhyun might be a high-guaranteed bachelor to succeed in life, he’s smart, sociable, had the looks, almost anything on the success-list, but the fact that he was still so young made Daeyoung realize he was indeed still a boy at heart, still Baekhyun, the youngest, the apple of the family, just forced to mature by circumstances. Daeyoung admitted that her life needed sacrifices, lack of playing, just books and company stuffs. And. And she didn’t want her Baekhyun to suffer from this, he’s still young.

 

So, staring at Baekhyun, Daeyoung softly said, “Baekhyun-ah... I promise, I will make everything just right. I won’t want to ruin your dream, dongsaeng, will I?” Daeyoung tried to sound assuring and was not sure if Baekhyun believed her or not, normally it’s Kyungsoo’s job. But when the boy stuck out his pinky, Daeyoung almost heaved a relief sigh. Her mind revived the past scene of their childhood where they were both arguing too. Daeyoung bit back the sting in her eyes and looked up. Getting emotional, eh?

 

“Promise? Kyungsoo is not only a brother for me,” Baekhyun sniffed. Neither his eyes nor face was red, he was just sniffing. Weird, Daeyoung thought, but reciprocated his smile, “Yes, noona promise. Now, go home safely. I will follow soon.”

 

With that, Daeyoung patted Baekhyun’s cheek and left. Baekhyun burrowed his head in his palms. What had he done? Stupid boy... He shouldn’t have thrown a fit at his noona, she’s clueless, but, but, Oh... he had never felt that guilty before. The wound was slowly tearing, and it pained. He couldn’t find the urge to move his limbs, even after Daeyoung had hailed a taxi and stepped inside it. He was so mad after Kyungsoo told him the news, and bottling up anger was never a good thing, so he had simply blamed everything to Daeyoung.

 

 

“Daeyoung! Don’t go! Oh! Mr. Hwang! Good afternoon!” A clumsy lady waved and bowed from afar. She sauntered towards his car only to trip and fall face first. Baekhyun gasped, went out of his car, and gingerly helped her up.

 

“You okay?”

 

“Yeah, I’m immune to these kinds of misfortunes. Dae- oops, I mean young,” the lady knocked her head, “Oh no, I mean Miss Hwang-

 

“She’s not here, just went by cab a moment ago. Did she miss anything? I can relay messages to her.”

 

The clumsy lady slumped dramatically, “Well then, if she’s not here, I can ask her tomorrow. Thank you Mr. Hwang.”

 

“No problem, I insist,” Baekhyun said, now with a hint of amusement, Daeyoung, out of all people, would never hire this kind of staff, must be special then.

 

The lady unexpectedly scrutinized at Baekhyun, lowering her glasses, than raised her brows as if saying no-big-deal, “Just tell her there’s another solution for the matter she has been calculating.”

 

“Finance?”

 

“Yeah, a cousin of math, Dae-oops I mean miss Hwang was too focused on using a certain way that she didn’t realize that’s actually another way,” the lady thought for a while, “Did you guys have some misunderstanding just now? Oh, come on, life is joy. You know sir, the finance problem also applies in life, it’s not fixed, but yet it has so many ways to make it livable. Oh, I have gone to Zen mode again. I better go now. Thank you sir, good afternoon.” But Baekhyun widened her eyes at her words. The strange girl had made some point there.

 

The strange lady turned her heels but Baekhyun suddenly held onto her shoulder, making her jump, resulting in her glasses toppled onto the ground. The lady hissed loudly, clearly showing her displease and picked up her glasses, quickly wearing it back.

 

“You’re new, aren’t you?”

 

The lady sighed nonchalantly, “Yeah, Kim Soojung, the new intern, just becomes a PA for a week. Till next time.” She walked back to the company without further interruptions.

 

A memory flashes in Baekhyun’s mind, a night at Chanyeol’s party, he remembered Kyungsoo telling him about Daeyoung’s latest victim, an intern hanging her dear life at the edge of falling. Baekhyun smiled sadly. He owed her one again. His sister indeed had never changed, still the warm noona she used to know. Hah... What a drag... Baekhyun sounded in his mind and pulled out a mini book from his pocket. Reading is always the best. No mess, just words and thoughts. But the girl is just was quite okay.

 

 

Daeyoung’s cab pulled off in front of a building. Daeyoung paid the bill and looked around the neighborhood. So homey, so warm, but she’s here not for this, she’s here with a mission.

 

Daeyoung pressed the bell and a over-loud voice shouted through the intercom, “Hyung!”

 

Daeyoung smiled at the intercom and said, “Hello, I’m your hyung’s friend, can I meet him?”

 

The kid at the other side sounded frowning, relishing a long ‘ehm’ sound, “but umma say no stlangel. Wait, pleety noona.”

 

Daeyoung then heard running steps and not long later, the door cracked open showing Yeonsoo, who seemed surprised at Daeyoung’s presence, “Daeyoung right?”

 

“Yes, unnie. Long time no see,” Daeyoung bowed and flashed a smile she didn’t know still could be shown. Yeonsoo beamed and pulled her into a hug, always direct. The little boy also squealed and joined them, tickling Daeyoung’s leg.

 

Daeyoung chuckled and picked up the boy, “So, who’s this handsome here?”

 

“Hwan!” the kid said and smiled toothily, “Is noona also staying here? But no loom left,” The kid crossed his hands and pouted, thinking. Then, “Aha! Sleep with Hwan!”

 

“Hwan, don’t disturb noona,” Yeonsoo said and shook her head as a no-no sign. Hwan let out a long ‘Wae?’ and cuddled more to Daeyoung’s crook of neck.

 

“Aish, this boy, not afraid of anything. I’m afraid he will be a busybody,” Yeonsoo commented and Daeyoung chuckled again, while closing the door with her free hand. “Come here boy,” Yeonsoo picked up Hwan from Daeyoung, not without another series of cute whining. Yeonsoo then eyed the hanging calendar on the wall, Daeyoung looked at it quizzically, but soon got the meaning. It’s October, the time for Goyang Lake Art Festival, Kyungsoo must be there.

 

“The small one here always insist on following, resulting in returning late, not doing homework, a big no for me,” Yeonsoo patted Hwan, who was watching cartoon, and smiled at Daeyoung.

 

Daeyoung couldn’t help but felt heat rising to her cheeks. Yeonsoo’s directness was too direct that Daeyoung felt like a deer caught in headlights. But right now, she needed to be careless. She gave another hug, pecked Hwan, and went out soon, although Hwan pouted cutely at that, muttering something about being so fast.

 

Yeonsoo smiled at the closed door. Hope everything got settled.

 

Hailing another cab, she headed straight to the destination.

 

 

 

Acrobats, Puppets, Dances, Singing, every corner was blooming with art. Daeyoung stopped her track and tried to insert everything. It was... breathtaking. Ilsan Lake Park was colorful with cheers, laughter, friendly-faced clowns greeting visitors, kids playing tag-along, elders simply strolling

 

Daeyoung only attended the festival twice, once when she had a sudden-vacation to Kyungsoo’s house, and, well, added this now. The festival was circling the crystal clear lake. For a moment, she let herself indulged in the entertainment, she felt like a child again, with everything sparkling around her. The late sunshine of the sky only enhanced the beauty of the lake, which was now along orange-pink in color.

 

A sudden tap woke her from her trance, almost surprising her, as the man was a clown, and Daeyoung had a thing for clown, she was not fond of them. Startled, she stumbled back, knocking off a ‘tall’ man, like man walking on tall stick, easily causing him to lose his balance.

 

The clown-man gasped in shock, swiftly handing her his tray of smoothies, which maybe were to be offered to her a moment ago, and rushed to help steadying the tall man.

 

The clown exhaled in relief and patted the tall man’s leg.

 

“I’m sorry!” Daeyoung quickly apologized and bowed. But the tall man gently used his fake long hand to touch her head, as if saying ‘It’s okay’, then, much to Daeyoung’s surprise, the tall man produced a white flower from his black hat, slipping it to the back of her ear and bowed, treating her like a princess, and the gentle-tall-man walked away with his long limbs.

 

The small crowd circling them just now cheered and followed the tall man, occasionally asking for another flower.

 

Daeyoung brought the flower close to her and examined it.

 

“It’s jasmine,” the clown beside her said, while taking back his tray, noted that Daeyoung almost dropped it, maybe too mesmerized at the flower act. Daeyoung slowly turned to him, still a little bit anti to his costume. The clown had a maroon hat and bright blue curly wig on both side, as if showing he’s bald only with dense curly hair on sides. He still had the classic clown nose, wide red lips, paper-white face, but what intrigued Daeyoung the most was the eyes, the makeup drawn on it was truly artistic, like a pair of blue stars that brightened the face. The very eyes that were squinting at her.

 

“What?” Daeyoung asked, but it sounded a little bit too rude.

 

“Sorry, I’m not scrutinizing at you, but I’m just wondering, do you not recognize me? Agassi?” The clown asked in a familiar voice Daeyoung hadn’t noticed before. He smiled, almost smirked, and it looked quite scary, with the red lipstick and such.

 

Daeyoung’s jaw dropped and stayed like that for a while, “Kyungsoo?” Then, she laughed, almost to her heart content. Kyungsoo on the other side frowned.

 

“What are you doing here?”

 

“To meet you.”

 

“And now I’m he- what?”

 


 

It's ending soon, can't believe it's so fast. Are you enjoying all this time? Feel free to comment below.

-Locrianz ^^