Chapter One

Healing
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

(One Year Earlier)

We should have known to stay away from the lake that day. The sky was black and cloudy, and there was just something so wrong about getting into the water that appeared to be so inviting. I had a feeling that something was going to happen, and it did. Everything went terribly wrong, resulting in tragedy. However, no one speaks of that day. In fact, Sungjong and I don't speak at all anymore. He hasn't called me in ages, and I wish that I could fix the things that happened. I guess maybe he blames me, since it was my idea. No matter how terrible I feel, I can't change the fact that it was my idea to go to the lake that took our friend's life. 

 

Let me explain a little further, so you know the entire back story...before I go back to meet them again. if I know what's going to happen. Sungjong and I will likely be awkward, and that kills me. It will take a lot of time to heal this pain and regain any trust we had. Here goes nothing...

 

My name is Kim Myungsoo, and I was in a budding relationship with Lee Sungjong two years ago. He is one of the most beautiful people I know, and I was lucky to have him. Anyway, on to my explanation of the accident...or whatever the it was. 

 

Two years ago, we went with some friends to the lake to swim. We were all having fun jumping in and playing, except that Sungyeol kept splashing me in the face and I was about two seconds away from throttling him when we heard one of the twins let out a scream as he was shoved under the water by Hoya. I grinned, expecting him to come back up. Sungjong was standing next to Hoya, waiting for him to resurface. Ten seconds passed, and Hoya dove under. That's when I saw Daeryong being pulled further down into the water. Hoya chased after whatever had grabbed him, with Soryong right behind him. However, he had vanished, and there was nothing we could do but call for help. 

 

It was a quiet drive to the police station, and they questioned each one of us to figure out what happened. Soryong was distraught, and couldn't really say anything that would help. All anyone else could say was that he had been pulled under and disappeared. We don't know what took him, but I had a feeling things wouldn't end well. 

 

The police found Daeryong's body two days later, after searching the entire lake. He appeared to have simply drowned, but we knew that something had grabbed him. A part of each of us died that day, and with the entire trip being my idea, Sungjong seems to blame me for it. I didn't kill him, and I don't know what did. There is nothing we can do, and whatever is in that river will come after us again, if we go back. However, if I don't go back, we will never heal from this tragedy. Sungjong may never forgive me, but I will try. I won't let this tragedy be the end for us all. 

 

(Present Day)

 

I stood in front of my mirror staring at the shirt I had just pulled from my closet. It was a plain black tee shirt, but I couldn’t decide if I really wanted to wear it. I just didn’t want Sungjong to see me looking completely casual. That wouldn’t help him to accept me again, and I want to show him that I haven’t changed at all. At least, not on the outside. I think we’re all a bit different on the inside now. Daeryong’s death was too traumatic for us to move on very normally and none of us will ever be the same. 

Sighing, I tossed shirt on my bed and settled with a black sleeveless tee shirt instead. It didn’t really matter what I was wearing. Sungjong was either going to forgive me or kill me, no matter what I had on. I need to stop making excuses and just go to the lake. 

 

 

 I arrived before anyone else, so I had a bit of time to look around. Staring at the water, I felt a chill run down my spine. I could still see the horrible sight of Daeryong being pulled under and killed by the monster. Thinking back on the incident, I tried to recall the details that followed after they found his body. It had been ruled an accidental drowning, but I know that it was anything but. Something had killed him, and I was going to find out the truth, one way or another. 

I turned

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter