Chapter Three: What is Love?

Your Majesty

Chapter Three: What is Love?

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Why did he do it? 

Xiao Luhan didn't know why he did a lot of things. 

Why he disliked his fiancé, why he smiled at the girl, why he was captivated by the siren in the recording room...

Why he cared to tell Jieun...

"It was stupid..." Luhan mumbled to himself as he recalled the events of their 'date' earlier. 


"What-"/ "Do-"

The two stared at each other.

"Y-You first..."/ "Go ahead."

There was a silence.

The orange-auburn haired male suddenly thought of something. He remembered that Tao told him that if something like that had happened in real life then the two would HAVE to be destiny- after all, it only happens in the dramas that the dark circle eyed young man watched. Luhan mentally scoffed at the thought- him and Jieun? Destiny? Yeah right. 

The silence was still there and it unnerved him, so he decided that he would break it.

"What's your favorite color?" Luhan asked with a disinterested tone. He bet that her favorite color was pink- like her sister Seorin. Isn't that what all girls liked anyway?

"I-It's white..." The chocolate haired girl answered.

White?

It was white?

White... the color of innocence and purity...

"Okay then," The Xiao child nodded slowly with a bit of surprise- they shared a favorite color unlike he and Seorin who was fond of pink. "What's your question?" He inquired, slightly curious as to what she wanted to ask. The orange-auburn haired young man stared at her- analyzing her body language- and it she seemed... unsure? 

"Do... do you know Seorin?"

What? Where did she get that from? Did Seorin hint at something? 

"Yeah, she's my girlfriend, why?" 

Wait what? What was he doing!? Luhan could feel something stir up inside him- like two sides fighting for dominance. 

"O-Oh... no reason..." She mumbled. 

Luhan stared at her, studying her body language to look for a sign- anything, but he suddenly wished he hadn't. 

His fianceé liked him, didn't she?

The way she gripped her sleeves, the way she spoke after he had told her his relationship with her sister...

"I don't like you." He blurted without prior thinking. What was he saying? Why? 

Why?

"I want nothing to do with you, understand?"

lieslieslieslieslieslieslieslieslieslieslies

"I'm sorry, I wanted to be honest."

lieslieslieslieslieslieslieslieslieslieslies

foolfoolfoolstupidstupidstupididiotidiot!

"It's okay..." Jieun murmured softly. "H-How long do we have?"

"About thirty minutes," He answered immediately- counting each minute that had passed since they arrived. 

"Okay..."

Her voice seemed dejected and... distant. 

Where did her bubby attitude go?


Xiao Luhan sighed, leaning his head against his bedroom window as he stared into his own reflection. 

He... regretted those words. 

He admits that he regretted those words. 

His mother always said that if you don't have anything nice to say, then don't say anything. 

But it was too late to take them back...


The following day, a certain caramel haired young woman approached her to-be-married sibling.

"Jieun," 

"Is there something wrong?" The chocolate haired sibling inquired as she slung her bag over her shoulder to head for the weekend practice. 

"I..." Seorin paused for a split second. Her face twisted into a malicious glare. "Luhan is still mine, whether you're to be married to him or not, got it?"

"W-What?" Jieun sputtered in bewilderment and confusion. 

"You like him, don't you?" 

Jieun... liked Luhan?

What?

"W-What are you talking about?" Secret's vocalist stuttered while adjusting her glasses. "I-I need to be going now. G-Goodbye, sister!" Jieun quickly headed out the door with the intent of wanting to get as far away as she could. 

How could her sister think of something like that?

She... she did not like him in that way, right?

Right?

Ba-dump! Ba-dump!

Blood rushed to her face as she remembered the sweet, angelic smile he had given her that day.

But then, on the same day she remembered the cold, indifferent gaze he had given her.

Jieun's throat tightened at the memory.

Did she like him?

Suddenly, the chocolate haired vocalist stopped in her tracks. 

What was the difference between 'like' and 'love'?

Jieun loved a lot of things like her members, her caretaker Key, her cousin Jonghyun, the color white, music, etc. 

What is love?

She loved a lot of things, yet she doesn't know what love is. Jieun heard many words pertaining to love, like platonic love or...

Romantic love...


A few days passed afterwards and Jieun was currently sitting in her bedroom, her hands twindling around and fidgetting as she waited for Key to return from where ever he was. Today was another 'date' and oddly, she felt incredibly anxious for some reason unknown. 

"You like him, don't you?"

Jieun rapidly shook her head, trying to get rid of the thought. She didn't want to think about it! Not at all!

"What are you doing?"

She jumped in surprise and turned her head. 

"Nervous?" Key grinned. "Are you starting to like him a little?" The chocolate haired young woman shook her head again, this time with a heavy red blush decorating her cheeks. Her caretaker chuckled knowingly in amusement as he pulled out something from a large bag. 

"What did you buy?" Jieun inquired, but the question ended up rhetorical as a gasp escaped her lips. It was a cute, cream colored shoulder-less top that had long and baggy sleeves. There was also a pair of white jean shorts and wedge heels with white straps. To complete the look, there was a thin dark brown belt with little white rhinestones here and there. Jieun glanced up at Key, eyes filled with unspoken gratitude. "You didn't have to buy this..." She smacked his arm lightly. He had always done this, bought her things such as food or clothing with no thought of the price, and it made her feel undeserving of such a wonderful friend and caretaker. 

"Yah, what do I have to tell you?" Key pinched her cheek with a smirk. The chocolate haired young woman puffed her cheeks, fiddling with the fabric of the top, and playfully glared at him. "Ah, I almost forgot!" He snapped his fingers, a look of realization spread across his face, and he began digging through another bag he brought with him. "You can't have-" Key gestured towards her chocolate brown hair. "-dyed hair, Her Majesty's orders, so we're gonna remove the dye today." 


It felt weird to have her natural hair color, black, again. Although, it was the... good kind of weird. Not that Jieun didn't miss her chocolate locks, but she felt oddly comfortable being back to... 'herself'. If that made any sense at all anyway. Today's meeting is in a nearby park which is famous for their flower gardens and various greenery. She reached up to the ebony strands, staring down at the concrete ground with her soft light brown eyes, and her feet shuffled in their white heels that her cousin, Jonghyun, bought for her-

Footsteps.

Her heartbeat accelerated in her chest as she removed her hand from her black hair. He was coming and she was most definitely not ready to face him.

What would she say? Would she just casually ask him how his day was? Would she pretend that their last meeting didn't happen?

Jieun crossed her arms behind her back, fiddling with her fingers to distract herself, but it wasn't worki-

There he was.


"Good morning," Luhan greeted his fianceé with no prominent emotion lacing within his voice. He began to glance away, but a variety of things stopped him.

One, her outfit.

Two, her hair.

Praise the EXOPLANET, she wearing white-

Wait, what was he thinking about?

"G-Good morning..." She murmured, averting her head away from his direction. He noticed her voice was soft, almost angel-like, and it was unlike any other female voice he had heard of. There was a silence between the two of them, awkward and still, and the brightly shining sun blazed over the greenery. The temperature not too warm or too cold, but a single breeze flew by. 

The white veil swayed to the side- 

Luhan froze.

Her veil swayed back in place.

Ba-dump! Ba-dump!

Jieun's skin was flawless, unblemished, and fairly pale with a creamy tone- no marks whatsoever. However, what Xiao Luhan had engraved in his memory were elegant light brown eyes. Although they didn't face him, he saw the multiple emotions in her downcast orbs. Her lips were small and a soft pink-red and her natural ebony hair fell perfectly around her in slight waves. 

"I-Is there something wrong?" Jieun inquired in almost a hush whisper. 

"N-Nothing!" Luhan stuttered, averting his own eyes, and rubbed the back of his neck in nervousness. "Let's take a walk." He gestured toward a small, decorated path with vibrant flowers. 

"O-Okay..."

They walked beside each other, but it was as if there were a wedge between them. It was dead silent, only accompanied by the pitter patter of their shoes slapping the path. 

"U-Umm..."

Luhan snapped his head toward the veil-wearing young woman with his attention solely on her. 

"What is love?"

There were no words. Jieun glanced at the orange-auburn haired young man from the corner of her eye in curiosity. 

"Why are you asking me?" He asked with an uncaring shrug.

"W-Well..." Jieun began, but immediately shut . "No, it's n-nothing. I'm sorry."

The silence emerged once again. 

Love, Luhan pondered, what is love?


What is love?

He didn't know. 

What is love?

Is it a feeling? Is it sensation? Luhan didn't know.

What is love?

Her words repeated over and over- again and again. 

What is love?

Did he... Luhan pursed his lips, perhaps he does not love Seorin?

NO!

Of course he does! Why else would he... court her...

Right?

"That's right Lu..." Luhan chanted to himself. He ran a hand through his curly hair with an exasperated sigh. Why did such a question bother him so much?

What is love?


"Alright, let's give it a go Jieun!"

"Yes!"

 

Luhan slung his bag over his shoulder as he traveled down the corridors of Seoul Academy. It was a free period for the young man at the time and he was unsure where to spend it- or even what to do. His EXO companions were off in various jobs or class and the recording studios were currently full with multiple singers in the academy. Not only that, but wherever he went there was always someone. Luhan wanted to spend the period alone for once- with no one around him. 

The orange auburn haired young man sighed to himself and adjusted the straps of his backpack. Suddenly, as he passed the auditorium, he heard a familiar tune begin to play. Deciding that there was nothing else for him to do, Luhan slipped in the auditorium for a sneak peek. 

 

Neoneun nareul saranghaji anha

da algo isseo nan

 

It seemed like time began to slow around him. Her sweet voice ringing throughout the room and into his ears. She had shined brilliantly under the lights like a revered musical goddess- her gaze enchanting. The young woman's ebony hair were in familiar waves as they swayed due to the slight wind effect as her cherry lips moved to form each syllable. There was nothing but the two of them.

Ba-dump! Ba-dump!

Luhan felt it- deeply.

 

ijeun neun boraedo

nareul chatji ma

 

He fell- deeply.


"...han! Luhan!"

"!"

Luhan jumped and turned his head to his left with a startled look on his face.

"There's not going to be practice today, so you can go home early." EXO's Leader Suho informed. 

"Thank you." The deer-like member smiled, but his eyes weren't reflecting the same.

 

Later that night, Luhan sprawled onto his bed and directed his eyes to the ceiling. 

What is love?

That question plagued his mind since his fianceé had asked him. He questioned himself every time about it- what exactly is the meaning?

...

He had an idea.


"Why do you think they called for an assembly?" Hana inquired curiously. Her members shrugged as the students filled the auditorium. 

"Maybe they're announcing something important?" Jieun piped in. 

"Oh, I heard from Kwanghee-oppa that there will be a few performances." Sunhwa stated, but immediately shut as her members snapped their heads towards her. Before they could tease their maknae, the lights dimmed and someone appeared on the stage (or rather a group).

There stood the members of EXO.

"Here is a surprise performance from new SME group, EXO!" A voice from the second floor announced and without further ado, the music played.

They had first performed "Mama" and then "Wolf" before moving on to their signature song, "Growl". 

Of course, the crowd applauded (whether it was simply polite or they really enjoyed the performance) for the rookie group. The members began to exit the stage- all except for two. 

"Now we have a special song that one of the members wrote themselves that they want to perform. Give it up for Luhan!" The audience cheered- some enthusiastic and others... maybe not that much. "Here we also have Chen!" More cheering ensues and eyes fell to the orange auburn haired deer on the stage.

"Hello, I'm EXO's Luhan." Said young man bowed politely before continuing. "I wrote the song Chen and I are going to sing for everyone today. It's called, 'What is Love'."

Meanwhile, Song Jieun stared with absolute bewilderment at the young man. The title of the song was exactly the same question that she had asked him quite a bit ago. Was this simply a coincidence? Suddenly, the ebony haired young woman felt a certain deer's glance fall onto her- lingering- as the music began.

(EXO-M's "What is Love") (Chen's Parts= Pink) (Luhan's Parts= Silver/ Gray) (Together= Lavender) (English Lyrics)

 

Girl, I can't explain what I feel

hoo whoa oh baby

My baby, baby, baby, baby yeah

A long day feels like a brief second

Everyday is like a story written for you

This scene is a romantic story, the next is an action scene with the main male character

I play the role of the only hero in your heart

You're so perfect

Suddenly, I'm looking forward to accompanying you in the future, yeah

Don't hide love, hold onto happiness as long as you can be honest oh baby

I lost my mind when you walked into my sight

Just being near you, my whole world will get in slow motion

Please tell me if this is love

Love is everywhere

It will let me forget pain, share sorrow, and learn to be caring

We've argued, we've cried, but we can still embrace

Please tell me if this is love

When I hold your hand, the world is endlessly envious

When you kiss me, I finally understand that this feeling will never change

The forever they talk about, probably doesn't exist, whoa

But you can trust that I will love you regardless of everything else

You will slowly understand, whoa

I don't know why, this feeling cannot be replaced

Love is a strange accident

You allow me to become the best type of man

As long as I'm by your side, life becomes dazzling

I lost my mind when you walked into my sight

Just being near you, my whole world gets in slow motion

Please tell me if this is love

Love is everywhere

It will let me forget pain, share sorrow, and learn to be caring

We argued, we cried, but we can still embrace

Please tell me if this is love

Tonight I think of you and I pull open my curtains to make a wish to the stars

Like the happy ending in a fairytale, happily ever after, whoa

From today onward

I will give for you, feel distress for you, wait for you, I will never leave

I just want to give you my entire life's love

I lost my mind when you walked into my sight

Just being near you, my whole world gets in slow motion

Please tell me if this is love

Love is everywhere

It will let me forget pain, share sorrow, and learn to be caring

We've argued, we've cried, but we can still embrace

Please tell me if this is love

When I hold your hand, the world is endlessly envious

When you kiss me, I finally understand that this feeling will never change

My babe, baby babe, baby baby

I can't not think about you, perhaps this is love

I just wish for you to smile like an innocent child

My babe, baby babe, baby baby

Tell me exactly, what is love?

 

His voice was sweet and melodic unlike his icy expressions. His emotions were pouring from his words contrast to his usually blatant tone. It was different, but it was lovely- not only that but the emotion was raw. It was as if it were still dripping with the fresh feelings of what the lyrics were trying to convey. 

Jieun remained breathless. Her eyes locking with the orange auburn haired young man's figure on the illuminated stage. Around her, the audience stood and cheered for a wonderful performance while she stayed seated- unable to move. 

Their eyes met-

Ba-dump! Ba-dump!

Indeed, what is love?


"It takes two to dance."

"Thank you."


A/N:

Alright, this chapter is insanely short but writer's block is a big pain- and so is real life. 

Seriously, BIG pain. 

Not only that, but the recent news about EXO hit a little hard...

BUT on a brighter note, Song Jieun came back with her new album, "25", so I am very happy about that! Please support Jieun in her solo comeback if you can! Even if it's just one MV view!

Anyway, any predictions on what will happen next? Any thoughts? Subscribe if you want more or... not I guess. I'll still upload anyway. 

-ItonamiKanmi