Chapter One: The Second Daughter

Your Majesty

Chapter One: The "Second Daughter"

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

"Song Jieun?"

"Here." Came a muffled reply. The teacher glanced up from his computer before continuing. Jieun pursed her lips from her under her mask and adjusted her glasses. This is Song Jieun, a female high school student who attends an arts academy for the elite. She's... not of the popular crowd, that's for sure, but she has quite a big secret. Being a daughter of the royal family is a rather big thing and her family wanted her to live a normal school life just like all the others. 

It hasn't worked out so well.

There were a few conditions of course. One being that she is forbidden to show her face in public which is the reason for the fake glasses and mask that hid her features very well. The next condition is to not fall in love with someone she isn't arranged to be with. Of course, it wasn't too hard since no guy has liked her at all anyway. The last is, of course, not to reveal her identity obviously. Although, due to her disguise she hasn't made very many friends and only has three best friends. Their names are Jun Hyosung, Jung Hana, and Han Sunhwa. Sadly, they have a different class during this period leaving Jieun alone. The young woman pouted at the thought.

"Xiao Luhan?"

"Here." Came a smooth and cold voice. Luhan stared out the window in disinterest as the lecture began. This is Xiao Luhan, a male high school student who also attends the arts academy for the elite. Unlike Jieun, he's part of the popular crowd and a part of the group called EXO. Despite being the son (or rather, one of) of China's greatest CEO, he has the freedom of choosing his profession like Jieun. Of course, such freedom comes with a little price, one that Xiao Luhan isn't too fond of. 

Jieun stared down at her notebook in thought as she doodled around the edges. Her mind wandered off as her pencil swirled on the lined paper, then she remembered something from long ago. There used to be a boy she had a small crush on when she was younger, but since she always covered her face... well, it didn't work out too well. The boy had been in love with her younger sister who decided not to live like Jieun, but instead being tutored back at her ancient home. Jieun mentally sighed at the thought, if she remembered correctly, the boy's name was...

Luhan leaned back in his chair in utter boredom as he thought to himself. His mind started to wander before past memories began coming back one by one to him. It was then that he remembered when he had first met his lover. He inwardly smiled at the memory. That's when he also recalled a certain veil-wearing girl at that time. Luhan always thought she was rather odd considering the weird veil she wore that covered her face and the unfeminine clothes she wore unlike his lover. However, she was rather intriguing, but he didn't know much about her. If he remembered correctly, the girl's name was...

RING~!

"Class is dismissed for today." The teacher announced as the students immediately began packing up their things to head to their individual practices. 

As Jieun packed up her notebooks, a trio of girls walked by with a smirk. 

"Look, it's Miss Four Eyes," One of the girls chuckled and tapped on the lens of Jieun's glasses. 

"She's even wearing that ugly skirt too. What are you, a church unnie?" Another tugged on her ebony ankle-length skirt with distaste. 

"Oh wow, where'd you get the bag? A yard sale perhaps?" The last quirked an eyebrow before a smug grin tugged on her lips. "Oops," She knocked the bag out of Jieun's hands causing the contents to clatter on the ground. "Oh~, sorry 'bout that. Anyway, have a good day Four Eyes!" The trio cackled in amusement as they strut out of the classroom in an arrogant manner. 

Jieun pursed her lips from under her mask. Of course, it was usually like this anyway, so why let it bother her now? She knelt down and gathered her notebooks in an organized manner. Fortunately, nothing was ruined or anything of the sort as she slipped them back into her bag. Gripping the strap of her white messenger bag, Jieun stood back up and left without another word. 

Meanwhile, during the little exchange, Luhan watched as the young woman got insulted by the trio. He stared at the back of the long chocolate brown haired young woman as her stuff dropped to the ground. When the trio of girls left, the young woman had knelt down to gather her stuff without a word and left soundlessly. The reason why he watched her? Luhan thought the chocolate brown haired girl seemed familiar, but with a disinterested mental shrug, he went off to practice with his EXO friends. 


"Yah, Ssongji, you're late you know." Hyosung called out to Jieun as she entered their practice room. 

"Ah, sorry unnie, I dropped my stuff on the way here." Jieun smiled awkwardly as she placed her bag on the cream colored couch. 

"Is that what really happened?" Hana raised a brow skeptically as she crossed her arms for emphasis. 

"Of course," Jieun answered smoothly. "Now let's get on with practice! The showcase may be far from now, but that doesn't mean we're slacking off!" She said as she changed into something more casual (a baggy black hoodie and dark blue jeans). 


"Hey Lulu, how's Seorin doing?" Minseok inquired towards his best friend as they were getting ready to practice with the rest of EXO. 

"She's doing fine." Luhan replied vaguely. 

"Yah, don't be like that Lulu~!" Baekhyun nudged his hyung teasingly. Said hyung let out a small laugh and swatted his hand away playfully. 

"Let's just get to practice now."


As Secret finished up making their dance for the day; they were getting ready for the next part of their practice, vocals, but a ring of a cellphone interrupted them. It was Jieun's cellphone that rang and said young woman went to answer it.

"Hello?"

"Ah, Jieunnie! There's an emergency!" It was her personal caretaker, Kim Kibum (or rather, Key), exclaiming from the other line. 

"Huh? What is it Oppa?" Jieun asked worriedly on her side. 

"Remember when the miss said you'll meet your fiancé a couple of weeks from now?" Key began anxiously. 

"Yes."

"It's been pushed to today Jieunnie!" 

"What!?"

"You gotta hurry back home to get ready! Don't worry, I'm already right outside the school's gates to pick you up." 

"A-Ah, I'll be there as fast as I can..."


Meanwhile, in EXO's practice room, a cellphone went off right after the music ended. Luhan glanced at the caller ID to find that it was his personal caretaker named Siwoon.

"Hello?" Luhan greeted as he answered the call. 

"Ah, Luhan, you need to hurry back home right now." Siwoon stated.

"Hmm? Why?" 

"Remember what the boss and the miss talked about a month ago? About your fianceé?" 

Luhan's expression darkened at the moment. "Yeah, what about it?"

"Well, turns out you're meeting her today so you need to get ready. I'm already in the parking lot waiting for you so get out as quick as you can. The miss really wants to play dress up with her son again, you know?" Siwoon finished teasingly at the end with a smirk. 

"Alright, I'll be on my way. But don't expect me to go down alone," Luhan laughed with a slightly better mood this time. 


With haste, Jieun hurriedly made her way to the academy's parking lot with her bag in tow. When she had arrived, she immediately scanned the area for Key's car to find him frantically waving from his open window. She held a giggle that erupted from and swiftly ran towards him and entered the car. Before Jieun opened to speak, her sassy caretaker cut her off. 

"Since you're meeting your fiancé today, I have a special outfit planned for you Jieunnie." He grinned as he began to exit the car out of the parking lot. "I even prepared an extra fashionable veil too. Yah, if only you could show your face then it would be soooo much fun putting makeup on you." Key rambled. "Just imagine how shocked your fiancé would be to see how beautiful you are, because of me of course!" Jieun laughed and her heart felt a little lighter than before. That's when she realized that Key was trying to make her feel less nervous in his own weird way. 

"Thank you, Key." Jieun smiled gratefully causing her caretaker to playfully glare at her. 

"Anyway, have you heard anything about your future husband?" Key questioned as he pressed the brakes when they reached a stoplight. The chocolate haired girl puffed her cheeks in thought before nodding slightly.

"Mother said that he's the same age as me, but that's all since no one has met him yet." Jieun replied. 

"Ehh~, so you two are the same age huh?" Key winked teasingly as he turned the wheel. 

"Yah, why are you like this Oppa?" Jieun pouted childishly and crossed her arms. "You're even getting Jonghyun-oppa to join you, aren't you?" 

"Hmm? How'd you know?" Key widened his eyes in mock shock. 

"Yah!"

The two burst into laughter together like two bestfriends (or sisters).


"Hey~, there's my favorite kid!" Siwoon grinned as he waved casually to Luhan who rolled his eyes and entered the car. "Oh don't be like that Lulu," He pouted as the windows closed. Luhan laughed good-heartedly and buckled his seatbelt in response. As they exited the parking lot and onto the streets, Siwoon began to speak. "So, have you heard anything about your fianceé?" There was a small silence throughout the car before the engaged man answered. 

"Mother told me that she's the same age as me, but that's it." Luhan replied with less vigor than before. 

"Hmm, same age huh?" Siwoon smirked playfully. 

"Yah, why are you like this?" Luhan huffed in amusement. 

"No reason~!"

"You're setting up something, aren't you?"

"Nope, why would I?"

"Aye, don't be like that~!"


Jieun and Key finally arrived at their destination and made haste towards the common room to greet her family. When the two entered the living room, they found Jieun's parents and sisters waiting there. 

"Good afternoon," Jieun immediately greeted and took a seat on the single chair with Key standing behind her. "I, um, heard that I'll be meeting my fiancé today. Why is it pushed today?" There was no answer and her parents glanced at each other. That's when her mother decided to speak.

"The... the relationship between our two countries isn't too great now and we're hoping to solidify our ties with the marriage. Due to the recent rumors going around, the family as well as your fiancé's decided it would be best for the two of you to meet and marry as soon as possible." Her mother explained as if it wasn't to big of a deal. "I know what some of you are thinking; why Jieun? The Crown Princess has already been married off if you must need to recall and I cannot afford any other of my precious daughters. Also, Jieun is the second-eldest after all." Under her words were the unspoken ones, the message that Jieun already knew. 

Song Jieun is just a leftover; something that can be thrown away without regret. 

Song Jieun wasn't as talented in her family's eyes unlike the rest of her family; so she was being thrown away. 

Jieun smiled softly, she accepted everything long ago.

"Well, what are we waiting for? Let's go Oppa!" Jieun bubbly exclaimed and rose from her seat. 

"A-Ah," Key followed after Jieun, but not before bowing to the remaining family members in the room. When they arrived into Jieun's room, he sat the princess on her sofa. "Alright, first we'll need to go by a list. Go and take a bath while I get everything ready, understand?" Jieun nodded vigorously. "Okay! Get to it then!" 

"Yeah!"


Luhan leaned back into the seat of the ebony limousine and stared out the window. He didn't know what to think, when he had went home his mother immediately started dragging him to prepare him for the meeting. Then she started explaining everything at once and... he felt numb. What was this? Is this really reality right now? Too bad it was, he had thought to himself and sighed; at least his attire wasn't too stifling and fancy. Luhan wore a simple white button-up dress shirt and black dress pants with matching shoes. His hair was its usual orange-ish auburn hair with slight flat waves and his eyes were as sparkly as always. Even then, Luhan didn't exactly feel like himself at the moment. 

"Something wrong?" His mother inquired with a raise of an eyebrow. 

"I-..." Luhan stopped himself before he could say 'it's nothing', knowing his mother would see right through him, so instead he opted for something else. "I'm curious about my fianceé." 

"Oh, was that all? Then you could've asked about her, you know." 

Luhan discreetly exhaled in relief as the subject took a turn for good. 

"Let's see..." His mother tapped her chin in thought. "Although I haven't met her personally, I believe I remember that we've met her at an event before. If I'm correct, it was during her birthday party wasn't it? Too bad I don't remember what she looked like at that time, but I'm sure she grew up beautifully!" She smiled positively. "Anything else... oh, that right! She's from the Royal Family, you know, so you gotta take good care of her." 

"The Royal Family?" Luhan perked up hearing those words. Seorin belonged to the Royal Family and he also remembered meeting her on her birthday. Then, could his fianceé...

"Yep, oh look, we're here!"


Jieun in a sharp intake of air as she saw herself in the full body length mirror. She was wearing the most beautiful dress she ever had in her entire lifetime. It was a pure white dress that ended just below her knees and it glimmered so softly in the sunlight that crept through the curtains. The dress had an intricate translucent lace design that covered her arms and shoulders which felt soft on her fair and unblemished skin. Accompanying it was the corset bodice that layered over a thin silk material and laces that tied it all together in a criss-cross design. Lastly was the skirt that flowed around her naturally in three white layers. The first was pulled to the left and the edges were lined with a gold color to differ it from the others. The second was pulled to the opposite direction and was folded this way and that to look like roses were lining the entire edge. The last layer was just a simple satin cloth that tied the other layers together, but it was beautiful all the same. 

Yes, this dress... it was the most beautiful dress she had ever wore. Everything else was just something of a simple color (like a blue or red) and covered her entirely from shoulders to ankles like a cloak. The dresses she usually wore weren't form-fitting or something that looked even like a normal sundress. No ruffles, no frills, no pearls or gems, no sparkles, no sequins, no belts- nothing! Then, there was her younger sister who wore the most eye catching dresses of every event. Don't take this the wrong way, Jieun usually preferred comfort over fancy, but once in a while it would be nice. 

She let a soft, genuine smile grace her features as she glanced at her own face. It was bare, with no makeup whatsoever, and her light-ish brown eyes stared back at her. It didn't matter anyway, she still was required to wear a veil to cover her face anyway. After all, it was a tradition until the wedding. Then, she could finally get rid of the glasses and the uncomfortable mask that concealed who she was. Jieun pet her chocolate brown hair fondly as well. She loved her hair too, it was naturally wavy, but not too wavy and it was a length she found comfortable with (mid-back). 

"Like it, Jieunnie?" Key asked from behind her as he was adjusting something. 

"Yeah! Thank you so much, really, it's so beautiful." Jieun nodded vigorously and turned to her caretaker. "I... it's... it's just so wonderful! Thank you, thank you..." She grinned as she swallowed the lump in . 

"Don't thank me, it's something I wanted to do sooooo long ago. Seriously, what kind of dress looks like a freaking blanket?" Key shuddered in thought at the previous dresses Jieun had worn. "And they even gave me ANOTHER to dress you with! Like, do they even learn? It's a big day too!" He scowled in irritation at the 'blanket dress' that was currently hanging in the corner. 

"Oh they weren't that bad, you know. They were really comfortable and the stylist didn't give me heels to wear so that was a bonus." Jieun giggled under her hand and gingerly sat on her couch. Key grinned slyly and pulled out a gift box from under the coffee table. 

"By the way, Jonghyun ordered a present for you. It's an early wedding gift, so you better accept it gratefully, alright?" Jieun's face brightened considerably and carefully took the box from her caretaker's hands. There was a small note ontop and it read:

Dear Choding Jieunnie, 

Hey~! You didn't forget me, right? Haha, Japan's great if you really want to know and I'm doing fine. Happy Engagement! Here's a little present from me so use it well alright? Good, anyway, you better not have the wedding before I return, understand? Even if it's a second before my plane would land, don't have the wedding! 

Just kiddng, but really, don't have the wedding without me. I want to be there too!

Your Favorite Bling Bling Cousin,

Jonghyunnie Oppa

Jieun laughed out loud after she read her cousin's note and smiled brightly. Setting the paper down on the table, she proceeded to open her gift, Jieun lifted the top off and laid her eyes on... 

A pair of heels. 

They weren't too height enhancing but they looked beautiful and it matched the dress Key had given her. They were decorated with multiple straps all around and made of a smooth white material. Around the straps of the heels were satin ruffles here in there and of course, a few diamonds here and there courtesy of her 'Bling-Bling' cousin. 

"Did you two plan this?" Jieun asked as she glanced at her caretaker. Key smiled fondly and pet her head affectionately. 

"Obviously, now wear them!" He gestured towards the shoes. "I'll teach you how to walk on them before it's time with the veil and without, understand?"

"Yes~!"


Luhan glanced around the traditional-ish home and pursed his lips anxiously. There was a high possibility that Seorin was his fiancé and the thought alone made his heart flutter. With that thought in mind, he entered the common room of the estate. 

There she was... sitting in the room waiting for him, opened to say something, but her mother cut her off. 

"Ah hello, I'm your fianceé's mother, what might your name be?" She asked the young man. 

"Xiao Luhan," Said young man's own mother cut in and smiled politely to her. 

"That's a nice name." Jieun/ Seorin's mother nodded and gestured towards the empty couch. "Please have a seat while we wait for my second daughter to arrive." 

Luhan froze while his mother dragged him to sit. 

Seorin wasn't his fianceé.

While he was frozen, she stared at him with a bitter smile on her lips. 


"Key, it's time." A maid informed her caretaker quickly before taking off somewhere else. Both Key and Jieun glanced at each other. 

"I guess this is it." Jieun pursed her lips as she fiddled with her white veil. Said veil covered her face completely but left some of her hair free, in Jieun's view, everything was still clear while everyone else only saw an opaque veil. To her, it was just like putting on a transparent mask. 

"Yeah, let's go." Key opened the door and they made their way to the common room. 

As Jieun was walking behind her caretaker, she clasped her hands together nervously and tried her best to calm the beating of her heart in her chest. She self consciously wrapped her arms herself in thought. This was the very first time she wore something form-fitting and she couldn't help but think of how bad she could possible look. Her body wasn't the best but she thought she was pretty average for her age. Although, her family never thought that of course. She was always described as too chubby and heavy compared to her sisters and most of all... 

Her fraternal twin.

Before Jieun could go further in thought, they stopped right outside of the common room's door. Her caretaker turned to look at her with a concerned expression. 

"Are you alright Jieunnie?" Key asked worriedly as he rested a hand on her shoulder. 

"A-Ah, I'll be okay. Don't worry Oppa," Jieun smiled reassuringly to her beloved caretaker who acted more like a surrogate brother (or sister). "Let's do this," She gestured with a determined face that was undoubtly hidden by her veil. "Fighting." 

"Fighting." Key finally smiled at her bubbly attitude and knocked on the door. From the other side, her mother granted her permission to enter. With that, Key opened the door and Jieun (with utmost nervousness) walked in.


Luhan continued to stare at his girlfriend as the four adults began to chatter away.

That's when Seorin mouthed, 'meet me later', with a small wink. She then giggled under her hand due to his astonished expression. It was like a deer caught in the headlights! Before he could reply, there was a knock on the door. 

"You may enter," 

The door opened and Luhan immediately snapped his head towards the young woman that entered. She wore a white dress and matching high heels that was (he dare think) beautiful on her. The young woman had quite nice legs from what he could see and was quite slim. Her body wasn't the greatest, but it was nice in a natural way. When he finally reached her face...

The veil. 

He remembered that veil back a long time ago, but never paid too much attention to it. Of course, he saw it many times but brushed it off whenever he saw his dear girlfriend. 

Luhan then glanced towards Seorin who stared at her sister with a poker face. That's right, he already has someone special in his heart so he can't go and get too friendly with someone else. Also, by the looks of it, it seems that the two of them aren't too close anyway. In fact, when Luhan glanced around the room for the Royal Family's reactions, he only found disinterested faces and there was something even more interesting. Her mother glared at his fianceé's attire as if it were absolutely unacceptable before morphing into an expression of indifference. 

"I..." 

His gaze snapped back to his fianceé who began to speak. 

"I'm Jieun, it's a p-pleasure to meet you." 

He only stared at her in response as she bowed deeply. All of sudden, a jab assaulted his ribs and he discreetly grit his teeth in pain. 

"I'm Luhan, likewise."

________________________________________________________________________________

"Do... do you know Seorin?"

"I don't like you."

"He was in a relationship with Seorin the entire time..."

"I want nothing to do with you, understand?"