Jjongie and Kibummie

Boys' Home Boys

"Um-umma!" the baby boy called out, crying for his mother whose back is slowly disappearing through the heavy falling of white snow while he is left in front of a scary looking big house.

His cheeks and nose are flushed red both from crying and the cold. His almond shaped feline eyes wet from tears. His pretty blonde hair messy. His lips quiver from the cold, giving up on calling his mother. His mother has been everything; loving, caring, and a perfect mother to him. So why now; on his second Christmas night, after they celebrated it together, his mother told him she loves him, then left him all alone?

He was tired and cold. So he settled with hugging himself while leaning back on the door, not knowing what else to do.

"Boy!" a voice from the other side of the door called, startling the blonde boy.

"No, Jonghyun! Stop running! You didn't hear anyone; you're hearing the other boys having a feast while you're being punished in your room for climbing up dangerous trees!"

But apparently this Jonghyun is not a good listener. Suddenly, the heavy wooden door opened, making the blonde boy fell backwards. He cried.

"See? Boy!" the so-called-Jonghyun pointed out at the boy on the floor. The boy noticed that Jonghyun may be the same age as him.

"Oh my goodness!" the woman who was chasing Jonghyun earlier gasped after seeing the boy on the floor. She quickly lifted him up to her arms and hug him, closing the door behind her. She walked inside with the boy in her arms, Jonghyun following her to the her office.

She sat the boy on her desk, running around to grab a warm blanket for him. She draped him with the blanket to make sure he feels warm inside. The boy only stares into her eyes with his sad ones, still unable to comprehend the situation.

"Boy cute." Jonghyun broke the silence.

The woman sighed, cannot believing that Jonghyun is being a hero for once. She turned back to the boy on her desk and sat in front of him on her chair. "What is your name, my dear?"

She didn't actually expect a proper respond. He looks really young after all, probably only a year old the oldest. The boy let out a whimper, holding in his own tears instead of answering. The woman smiled warmly at him, brushing off the remaining snow from his hair.

"No name?" Jonghyun asked with his puppy eyes, getting the boy's attention.

Both boys exchange looks, as if silently communicating with each other. The woman took that chance to inspect the boy she just found closer. He's really thin, even for an infant. His clothes look worn out and a little too small for him. Then, something caught her eyes: a folded paper slipped inside his pants' pocket. She took out the said paper from his pocket and open it.

 

Seoul, December 25th 1992

                Dear, Moon Hwa Home for Boys,

                I am very sorry. I truly am. I'm not really good at writing letters, but I'm trying my best. So here it goes.

                I am a twenty five years old single-mother. My son's name is Kim Kibum, we both came from Daegu. I was young when I first moved to Seoul, being a naive woman, not aware of Seoul's dangers. I had Kibummie after an attack of a bad guy my first night in Seoul. I couldn't go home after all that, but I couldn't abort my baby either. Kibummie was born 23rd September 1991, thank God for him because he's the best thing I've ever had my whole life. And I didn't regret it one bit.

                So I tried raising my Kibummie with my best efforts. I worked hard day and night, trying to provide for him. But with our economic problems getting worse each day, and with the trauma I had, raising Kibummie is getting harder. Kibummie is a wonderful child. He doesn't deserve living in the streets with his mother, not getting the education he deserves. So I figured, giving him up here would raise his chance of getting a better life.

                Please tell Kibummie I love him and I will always do no matter what. I just want him to find happiness in his life which he couldn't get from me. Please take care of him for me until he find a family that will love him as much as I do.

                For all you do, from this moment you found Kibummie and for the next days after, I sincerely thank you with all my being.

Sincerely,
A mother.

 

"Kim Kibum," the woman smiled and ruffled Kibum's hair playfully. "Merry Christmas. Do you want a cake?"

"Kibum?" there goes Jonghyun again. The dino looking boy jumps up and down in excitement. "Kibum love cake yum!" he exclaimed, startling Kibum with his loud voice.

The woman sighed before continuing, "My name is Ms. Moon and I will take care of you for now on." she smiled even wider, opening her arms for Kibum.

Kibum doesn't look happy with what she said. He doesn't want her to take care of him! He wants his umma. "Umma?" he spoke for the first time that day.

Jonghyun shook his head. "No. No umma here. Just Jonghyun and scawy Ms. Moon here." he announced, making Ms. Moon glare at him.

Ms. Moon smiled once more before lifting Kibum up to her arms. "I'm sorry, Kibum. Your umma isn't here now. But maybe if Kibummie behave good, a new umma will come for you." she said, hating her job. She's giving kids hope of having families when it's actually uncertain. "How about a cake for now?"

Just as she finished talking, a circle shaped device which Kibum identified as a timer rang loudly, vibrating at the same time. Ms. Moon hurriedly took the timer and turn it off before it scares Kibum.

"Jonghyun time out ovewr!" Jonghyun yelled again, startling baby Kibum and Ms. Moon. He ran out of the office to go to the dining room and enjoy the Christmas feast, falling down a few times in the process.

"Kim Jonghyun slow down!" Ms. Moon yelled, following the boy from behind while carrying Kibum whose eyes never left Jonghyun since earlier.


 

"Kibummie, would you like the mint chocolate muffin then? It's really good!" an older woman whom Kibum found out is named Mrs. Ham asked.

"Kibummie love muffin!" Jonghyun appeared out of nowhere and snatched the muffin off the older woman's hands. He proceed with stuffing the muffin into Kibummie's small mouth, not giving the younger a chance to reject.

"Kim Jonghyun!" Ms. Moon yelled for the nth time that hour, mentally exhausted with Jonghyun's little mischiefs.

Mrs. Ham only laughed, being way older than Ms. Lee is, she finds how the younger woman is struggling very interesting. "Relax, Jonghyun's just being the active boy he is. Aren't you, Jonghyunnie?"

Jonghyun nodded enthusiastically before watching Kibummie looking at the muffin in his hands. The two women began babbling; Mrs. Ham laughing and Ms. Moon protesting why the older woman defends Jonghyun all the time.

While they are busy arguing, Kibum bites his own muffin slowly, happily eating it to the last crumbs with Jonghyun helping him, a charming smile on his face.


 

"Now where should baby Kibummie sleep?" Ms. Moon sing-songed, carrying Kibummie along the hallway of boys' bedrooms.

"Jjongie."

She stopped in her tracks. "Excuse me? Kibummie did you just say Jjongie?"

Kibum flinched at her last tone of voice, regretting the fact that he couldn't shut his mouth. Ms. Moon noticed and quickly gave his back a soft pat. "I'm not mad, Kibum-ah. I was just asking if you asked to be roommates with Jonghyun."

At her statement, Kibum nodded. Truthfully, he was scared of his new environment of so many boys in the dining room earlier, and the only one he's familiar with (he knows the name of) is Jonghyun's. The boy didn't seem that bad either. And most importantly, Kibum feels comfortable with him already.

Ms. Moon walked further before stopping in front of a room with the dinosaur sticker on the door. Even standing in front of the door, the loud noise the boy is making inside can already be heard. She sighed. "Are you sure? No one likes to be Jonghyun's roommate. He's really noisy and clingy."

But Kibum has decided, and there's no backing down from now. He nodded for the last time.


 

"Kibummie so cute." Jonghyun sat on his bed, admiring little Kibum. "Kibummie is Jonghyun friend." he declared proudly.

Kibum ignores all Jonghyun's compliment. The latter noticed that Kibum looks dazed. He's lying on the bed, staring up to the ceiling all by himself. He never sleeps on such comfortable bed. He's used to sleeping on top of his mother's warm body, listening to her heartbeats which lulls him to sleep. Despite the warm and comfortable bed, he still misses his mom.

"Kibummie, don't cry." Jonghyun snapped him out of his thoughts. He rushed to Kibum's bed and wiped his tears. For the first time since they met, Kibum didn't see Jonghyun smiles widely or jokes around. He looks sincerely worried for Kibum. "Kibummie, don't cry."

"Umma .." Kibum whimpered.

"Jonghyun is here." the dino boy assured.

He jumped up to Kibum's bed and slipped inside Kibum's blanket, lying next to the younger with his dinosaur small plushy in his hand. Unconsciously, Kibum snuggled closer to Jonghyun, silently crying for his mother. Jonghyun silently offered if Kibum wants to hug his dino for comfort. Kibum took the dinosaur, gently hugging it close and Jonghyun felt heartbroken at the scene.

"Jonghyun is here." he repeated, putting his arms around Kibum's waist, hugging him in his sleep. He pulled Kibum closer to him and let the younger cry in his chest. "Jjong take care of Kibummie."

That night is the first time that Kibum wasn't lulled by his mother's heartbeats to sleep, but by Jonghyun's.

And he decided he's comfortable with it.


 

The first day Kibum spent in the boys' home is rather a terrifying experience. Everyone was over the Christmas celebration so all attention turned to the new boy. The other boys gathered around Kibum and cornered him the second he entered the playroom. Kibum hates the feeling of being watched by ten or more pairs of eyes.

"J-Jjongie?" he called out timidly, asking for help from the only one he knows.

The brown haired boy that Kibum has grown to like overnight appeared, making his way from under the other boys' legs. He smiled widely at Kibum, as if assuring him. Kibum immediately crawl his way and cling on to Jonghyun like a baby koala. He hid his face in the crook of Jonghyun's neck, scared of everybody else.

"One by one, guys! Kibummie is scawred." Jonghyun grinned widely, ordering the boys to stop crowding over Kibum and line up to introduce themselves to the cute new boy.

Needless to say, Kibum passed his first day by sticking to Jonghyun.

He passed the rest of his days in the boys' home by sticking to Jonghyun.


 

"Happy birdfuy, Jjongie." Kibum entered their bedroom with the cutest party hat and a small muffin in his hand. Ms. Moon is following the little boy from behind, a proud smile etched on her lips.

Jonghyun sat up on his bed, surprised. His cheeks hurt from showing such a wide smile so suddenly. Last 8th April went completely not fun. It went just like every other day for Jonghyun except for boys wishing him a happy birthday. Nobody celebrates anyone's birthday in the boys' home with a big cake or party since they're tight on money. So having his now favorite boy in the house, cutie-Kibummie surprising him is really exciting.

To lift the mood even more, Ms. Moon clapped her hands happily. Jonghyun has been talking about his birthday non-stop since weeks ago, so Ms. Moon thinks that it's probably nice to let Jonghyun experience a nice birthday celebration for once. What's better than to have his favorite friend surprise him?

"Kibummie cute!" Jonghyun squealed rather unmanly. He jumped down his bed to blow the small candle on top of the muffin.

"Make a wish, Jonghyun." Ms. Moon said, squatting down to take a picture of the two with her phone.

"Jonghyun wish for Kibummie for Jonghyun. Together fowrever with Kibummie." he smiled, blowing the candles off.

Kibum giggled happily, Ms. Moon clapped once more. She took the muffin from Kibum's small hands so the boy can hug the birthday boy. Jonghyun lifted Kibum one cm off the floor and twirled the boy in his arms around. The younger giggled louder and hug Jonghyun tightly. Jonghyun took the chance and stole a kiss from Kibum's cheek twice.

"Kiss Jjongie." Jjong told Kibum.

Without hesitation, Kibum went for it and try to kiss Jonghyun on his cheek. But being the smart boy he is, Jonghyun turned his head a little, letting Kibummie's lips touch his lips instead. They both pull away and laugh together at nothing. Laughing just because they're happy to be together on such a happy day.

Both split the muffin by the help of Ms. Moon and eat the pastry with wide smiles while sitting side by side. Kibum insisted on wearing the party hat for the rest of the night because it's Jonghyun's birthday although Jonghyun said it's okay since it's uncomfortable.

30 minutes later, Kibum is starting to violently rub his eyes, trying to stay awake. Jonghyun finds it adorable and kissed the boy on his lips one more time before taking the party hat off him. Kibum clung onto Jonghyun as the older lead him to the bed, slipping in Jonghyun's bed with the older. They slept in each other's arms, feeling content by having each other.

Ms. Moon cried from envy that night.


 

"No good, Jjongie!" Kibum warned, chasing Jonghyun who is already far away from he is. "If Jjong no sleep, Santa won't come give Jjongie toys!"

Despite being older than Kibum for a year and a half, Jonghyun is more childish than the former. It's the third Christmas they share together and Jonghyun always drags him with him whenever the boy decided to take a midnight trip outside their bedroom. For all Kibum knows, Santa won't give presents to kids who are awake.

"But, Kibummie! I want to see what Santa looks like!"

"Jjongie, pwease?" Kibum used his lethal weapon; his baby voice. "Santa won't give Jjongie and Kibum toys if we no sleep."

Nothing melts Jonghyun like the sound of a whining Kim Kibum. He fights with his inner self, trying to weigh the pros and cons of aborting his mission of busting Santa on action. No matter how many cons there are, if Kibum is happy, Jonghyun would do that instead.

"Okay .."


 

"We should give Kibummie extra cookies in his bag this year." Ms. Moon smiled, putting in two extra cookies in Kibum's little bag. "Jonghyun would probably break something on his body without Kibum there for him."

"Keeping an eye on Kim Jonghyun is something that three years old Kibum can do better than we will ever do." Mrs. Ham laughed.


 

Another year passed by so quickly.

Curled up in his bed is Kibum, crying his heart out at the lost of his son, Taemin. Jonghyun watches his best friend of three years from the side, wanting to do anything to cheer him up. He walked closer to the boy and give him a peck on his cheek to cheer him up.

"Kibummie, Taemin's new umma and appa is here." he announced.

As if on cue, Jonghyun caught Kibum in his arms right after the latter jumped down. It happens a lot; their friends finally found the family who wants to adopt them and left the boys' home. It is all boys' dreams to have a new family who will love them and if one finally found his, his friends would be happy for him, but sad that they have to part.

Lee Taemin came months after Kibum. The bundle of sunshine joined Jonghyun's mischief team, crawling around, making troubles. Kibum takes care of him like Jonghyun takes care of Kibum, thus getting Taemin to call Kibum as his umma. It's hard for Kibum to let Taemin go, even though he knows Taemin will be much happier in his new home.

(The boys have been talking about how awesome the car that Taemin's new family owns.)

"Taemin will fowget me." he cried.

"No, he won't. Taeminnie umma said she will send letters and let Taemin come to play." Jonghyun hugged him back.

"Then Kibummie no want see Taemin go. Taemin come back, right?"

Jonghyun nodded. Kibum hugged him tighter, burying his face in the crook of Jonghyun's neck. The older boy rubs the younger's back in circular motion. When the two parted, Kibum and Jonghyun ran to the window of their room, watching Taemin's new family's car drive out of the gates. Ms. Lee and some boys are crying and waving at them at the door.

"Bye bye, Taeminnie. See you later." Kibummie said quietly.

Jonghyun may look not as upset as the younger. But he's definitely feeling sad that another one of his friends has left again. Aside from that, a pang of jealousy hit him while watching other boys getting their dreamed families while he stays alone in his bedroom in the boys' home.

"Kibummie?" he called.

"Uhm?"

"You won't leave me, right?" he asked.

"No. Kibum love Jjongie."


 

"One, three, four-"

"No, Jjongie. One, then two." Kibum laughed cutely, running around the boys' home's green backyard from tree to tree, hiding from Jonghyun.

Jonghyun knows how to count properly. He's almost six years old. He just loves hearing Kibum squeals and laughs in delight every single time he corrects Jonghyun. Kibummie is growing prettier each day and Jonghyun can't get enough of him.

"One, seven, four, nine, five, two, eight, six, three, ten! I'm coming!" Jonghyun yelled randomly.

Kibummie yelped, laughing loudly when Jonghyun started running around, chasing him. He giggled more when Jonghyun caught him and circled his arms around his waist. Jonghyun started tickling the boy on the grass, making him laugh even louder. Kibum squirms around, trying to get Jonghyun to stop, but Jonghyun wouldn't.

"Say the magic words first!" Jonghyun threatened with a smirk on his face.

"P-please! HAHAHAHAHA- Jjong!" Kibum squealed.

"Ddaeng! Wrong! Not that one!" Jonghyun smirked wider, tickling Kibum's most sensitive part; his neck.

"Jjongie! HAHAHAH!" Kibum laughed till tears come up to his eyes. "I love youu!"

"I love baby Kibummie more!" Jonghyun stopped and smiled gently at Kibum. He then laid on top of Kibummie, giving the boy an innocent peck on his lips.

"Jjongie heavy." Kibum pouted playfully.

"We're gonna be together forever, right?" Jonghyun asked, kissing Kibum's cheek this time. One thing Kibum learned after living with Jonghyun for four years now, is that the boy loves skinship a lot. Kim Jonghyun is someone who doesn't understand what personal space is. Yet, Kibum doesn't mind.

"Together forever."


 

It's one Monday afternoon when Kibum is called to Ms. Moon's office. Jonghyun is not allowed to come with him since he's in time out for whatever it is he did in his free time. Kibum skipped happily to Ms. Moon's office, picking out some flowers for his mother's substitute before coming in just in case if he's in trouble. Jonghyun said flowers works Ms. Moon's heart all the time.

"Miss Moon called Kibummie?" he opened the door widely, smiling handsomely.

Ms. Moon smiled at him brightly and motioned for him to come in and say hello. He saw two adults; a man and a woman sitting in front of Ms. Moon's desk. The woman is looking at him with tears in her eyes, while the man is looking at him with complete adoration.

"Kibum-ah, come and greet the nice woman and man." Ms. Moon told him.

Kibum politely bowed down 90 degrees and send them his charming smile. "Annyeonghaseyo, my name is Kim Kibum."

The woman's tears streamed down her cheek the second he finished introducing himself. Kibum wonders if he did something wrong and look for Ms. Moon's help. To his relief, Ms. Moon send him two thumbs up, telling him he did good. Then why is the woman crying?

"Kibummie," Ms. Moon broke the comfortable silence. "do you want to know who they are?"

Looking back to the two adults, Kibum nodded. He waits for Ms. Moon to speak again.

"They are Mr. and Mrs. Kim." Ms. Moon introduced. "They are here to take you home with them. Isn't it great, Kibummie?"

When Kibum turned noticeably pale, the two adults panicked.

"No." Kibum let out. "No. Kibummie doesn't want to go home with Mr. and Mrs. Kim. Kibummie doesn't want to go! Kibummie wants stay here with Jjongie!" he said before running away. Kibum didn't look back at all.


 

"Mrs. Kim? Are you okay?" Ms. Moon asked minutes after Kibum ran away from her office. The woman smiled weakly at her, signaling that it's okay.

"It's my fault for leaving him here anyway." she said sadly. "I took a job as a maid after I left him here. Fate happened and I married my husband who was my boss. I asked if he's okay that I have a child before marrying me."

"I was more than okay. I'm infertile, I can't have a baby. To know that my wife has a son is a joy for me. Now that I've seen him, he's even more wonderful than I thought he'd be." Mr. Kim continued for his wife since she's already crying so much.

"Why won't my Kibummie go home with me?" she asked sadly, crying into her husband's shoulder.

Ms. Moon can only smile sadly in respond, knowing perfectly well why Kibum doesn't want to go. "Kibum is a really great kid. Other boys love him a lot, especially one. He considers Kibum as his best friend and Kibum loves him back a lot. I'm pretty sure that's one reason Kibum doesn't want to go. Let me talk to him, you can come back in a week or two?"

"Thank you so much."


 

Taemin ran in his favorite brothers' bedroom excitedly. He's been visiting once every week and that's not enough to share the fun times he experienced in his new home. He even brought toys from home to play with Jonghyun and Kibum. But to his disappointment, Kibum is crying on his bed and Jonghyun is silently playing with an old robot alone on his bed.

"Hyung?" he called.

None of the two answered him, and Taemin went home in disappointment that day.


 

Four days passed and Kibum can't take it anymore. He threw himself to Jonghyun, begging for the older boy to at least speak to him. He's tired of being ignored and he can't handle not being able to play with Jonghyun. His days are so dull without Jonghyun talking to him. Kibum hates himself for making Jonghyun mad.

"Please, Jjongie." Kibum cried as he hug Jonghyun from behind to stop the older from running away from him again.

"No, Bummie! I'm mad at you!" Jonghyun turned around and held Kibum by his shoulders. "You want to leave me all alone in here and go home with a new umma and appa!"

"No! I love Jjongie!" Kibum hugged Jonghyun again, crying more. "Kibum won't leave. Kibum promised together forever, right?"

Jonghyun sighed, hating himself for some reason and feeling relieved for other reason. "Together forever, Bummie."


 

That night when Kibum is already asleep, Jonghyun cries like he never did before. Quietly, since he doesn't want Kibum to hear him crying.

When he found out that a man and a woman came for his Kibummie, he felt so insecure. Someone is coming for Kibum and no one will come for him. He'll stay alone in the bedroom of the boys' home, all by himself as he watches kids come and go. He's half-fine with his other friends leaving, but Kibummie is an exception. He never loves anyone as much as he loves Kibummie, so having the younger to leave him will be the worst thing that could ever happen to him.

On the other hand, he wants Kibum to be happy. He wants Kibum to have his own family, be happy, play with cool toys like Taemin. Kibum can always visits him like Taemin every week, but still, having to wait for the younger is like a forever time out.

But Kibummie is Kibummie and he loves Jonghyun. Jonghyun knows that. The younger declined an offer of a loving family for him, and for that, Jonghyun hates himself. Jonghyun is the villain, not the prince charming. He hates it - a lot.


 

Jonghyun and Kibum are playing their usual game of hide and seek in the backyard when Mr. and Mrs. Kim came again for the third time that month, trying to get Kibum to go home with them. The two adults watch Kibummie with complete love and adoration in their eyes, often flinching whenever Kibum trips over something. They don't have to worry actually, Jonghyun caught him all the time.

"Jjongie!" Kibum whined, running to the older boy's arms when he saw the two adults.

As much as Kibum whines to Jonghyun about the two adults, the dino boy knows that Kibum is getting warmer to them each time. Their last visit, Kibum spent a solid hour with them, just talking in Ms. Moon's office and Jonghyun is not at ease. Kibum is going to leave him someday soon and he won't be ready.

But he doesn't have the heart to ask Kibum not to leave anymore.


 

Two months later, after 100 visits from Mr. and Mrs. Kim, the boys' home welcomed a new couple. The couple came with an awesome car. More awesome than Taemin's family's car if they were asked. They entered Ms. Moon's office and by the looks of it, the boys already know that they will be adopting someone.

Mrs. Ham asked the boys to come out of their room and play in the backyard while she will be busy with their guest she said.

Jonghyun knows by now that it's just something they ask the boys to do while the couple observes which boy they'll adopt from the window. He's been through so many of these things and he wants to get over it. So he just grabbed Kibum's hand and they made their way out to the backyard to play together with the other boys.


 

"Excuse me, Ms. Moon." the woman called, pointing on the dino looking boy who is staring up on the window. "Can the kids see us?"

"No they can't, Mrs. Kim." It's another coincidence that it's another Kim. The window is a one way glass, the couple can see the kids playing in the backyard, but the kids can't see them.

"Why is that boy staring at me with such longing as if he can see me?" Mrs. Kim pointed out at the dino looking boy. He looks fit, with his cute puppy eyes and dino like face, brown hair, and chubby arms and legs.

Ms. Moon looked out to see who Mrs. Kim is pointing to. Her heart ached when she saw that it's Jonghyun. The boy hasn't made any trouble these days and it made her uneasy instead. She could see that he's hurt with the often visits from the other Kims who want Kibum as their child. She can smell how insecure he is.

"Kim Jonghyun." she let out. "His parents passed away in a car accident when he's a baby and their home was taken by loan sharks. Cheerful, mischievous, and annoying at times. He's a great boy." Ms. Moon chuckled.

"Then why is he looking so down?" Mr. Kim spoke, taking interest in Jonghyun as well.

The three look down to see Kibum trying to pull Jonghyun to hide with him behind a tree since one of the boys has begun counting. Jonghyun shot the window one last weak smile (the last one he can) before running to hide behind a tree with Kibummie giggling after him.

"The blonde one is called Kim Kibum. Obedient, mature, and honest. He's another great kid. Recently, another couple want to adopt him, but Kibum refused, not wanting to leave Jonghyun. They're roommate and best friends since the first time Kibum came. In fact, Jonghyun is the one opening the door for Kibum. They're inseparable as time goes, so hearing that Kibum will probably leave him soon makes Jonghyun really sad." she explained sadly.

After Ms. Moon's long explanation, the three went back to watching the kids chase each other outside. Jonghyun is covering Kibum from the tagger's touch, the younger laughing cheerfully as he uses Jonghyun as his shield. When Kibum least expected it, Jonghyun gave him away and Kibum was tagged. The latter stomped cutely in anger, chasing after Jonghyun for revenge.

Mr. Kim laughed at their antics. "Ms. Moon?"

"Yes?"

"Do you think Kim Jonghyun would want to be adopted by us?"


 

Sighing in defeat, Jonghyun walked slowly to Ms. Moon's office when he's asked to. He doesn't think it's weird or suspicious at all. Jonghyun is never called for any other reason than to get nagged at because of the troubles he made and that's basically thrice a day. After checking the flowers he brought for Ms. Moon behind his back, he knocked on the door twice with his small knuckles before opening the door to her office.

"Ms. Moon, I didn't break the vase in the balcony if you're wondering." he blurted out in reflex when he saw Ms. Moon.

"We'll talk about that later, Kim Jonghyun." Ms. Moon face-palmed herself, making the couple sitting in front of her (which Jonghyun just realized is there) laugh. "Greet them, Jonghyun-ah."

"Annyeonghaseyo, my name is Kim Jonghyun." he bowed down 90 degrees, glancing at the couple confusedly and nervously at the same time. This is unusual.

The woman walked forward to Jonghyun and smile warmly at him, making Jonghyun even more nervous. "He's so handsome!" the woman praised him. She eyes him from head to toe and spotted the flowers behind his back. "Oh my! Is that for me? How sweet!"

Jonghyun, being the gentleman he is, gave the woman the flowers, getting a sweet thank-you from her. The man shot Jonghyun an approving smile. Jonghyun is now getting more bewildered with the situation presented to him, so he looks at Ms. Moon, and silently ask for an explanation from her.

"They're Mr. and Mrs. Kim." Ms. Moon introduced, referring to the man and woman in front of her desk. The couple smile kindly at him. "Jonghyun-ah, what do you think of going home with Mr. and Mrs. Kim?"

It came and sinks in Jonghyun's head that this might be his only and last chance.


 

Kibum threw a fit, crying loudly on his bed, throwing his blanket and pillow on the floor, yelling the same words over and over again, hoping that it will change Jonghyun's mind. It resulted to Mrs. Ham holding Kibum back while Mr. and Mrs. Kim help Jonghyun pack up his little belongings.

"NO! Jjongie promised!" Kibum cried, reaching out his arms to Jonghyun. "Together forever, Jjongie!"

Jonghyun didn't reply, putting on an invisible mask of flat face. But he can't hide the emotion in his eyes. Mrs. Kim almost cried along with Kibum after looking at her now adopted son's eyes. The older boy looked around the rest of his bedroom, checking if he left anything behind.

His eyes fell on his dino plushy on Kibum's bed. Kibum sleeps with it every night ever since the first night he and Jonghyun share the room. The younger always say that it's Jonghyun's, but looking at how things are, the dino plushy is more likely to be Kibum's. So Jonghyun pretended that he didn't see it and zipped his bag closed.

Mr. Kim shot Kibum an apologetic face as he carry Jonghyun's stuffs out of the bedroom. Kibum looked back at him like he's a monster. The man told his wife and Jonghyun that he'll be waiting down in the car.

"All set, Jonghyun-ah?" Mrs. Kim kindly asked, kneeling down in front of Jonghyun who looks rather sad.

"Hmm, u-umma." he answered, stuttering a little because he's still not used to the word.

"NO! Jjongieee-" Kibum cried again, voice cracking after hours of screaming and crying. Never once did he take his eyes off Jonghyun, hoping the older would surprise him and yell 'BOO!' like he always does. He wants Jonghyun to wake him up from this nightmare. "You promised together forever!"

"Let's go, umma." Jonghyun smiled weakly at his new mother.

Mrs. Kim smiled back, hugging her son lovingly to give him strength. "Let's go home, Jonghyun-ah."

"KIBUM HATE JJONGIE!" Kibum yelled with the last ounce of energy he has left. He turned to Mrs. Ham and tattled on the fat old lady, "Mrs. Ham, Jjong broke promise! Jjong promised together forever! He can't leave Kibummie! TIME OUT! TIME OUT!"

"No more time out, Kibum." Jonghyun spoke coldly to Kibum for the first time, shocking the younger boy. "I'm going home with my new umma and appa. Kibum should go home too."

With that said, Jonghyun took his mother's hand and they walk out of the bedroom together. Somehow, Kibum managed to break free from Mrs. Ham's hold and ran out to chase Jonghyun. Just like he did before, he threw himself at Jonghyun and hug the boy tightly, hanging on him for dear life.

"Kibummie doesn't want home! Kibum wants Jjong! Jjong can't go. P-please?" he said, hiccupping at the same time.

How Jonghyun managed to keep his stoic expression, Mrs. Kim doesn't know. But she's proud of Jonghyun, because he's doing the right thing for himself and Kibum. She gave Jonghyun's hand a squeeze of assurance that she'll be there for him.

"No, Kibum." Jonghyun pry Kibum's arms off of him. "No more magic words."

"I love you?" Kibum asked, tears streaming down his face silently this time.

"No." Jonghyun replied shortly. He let go of his mother's hand and cupped Kibum's little face, staring into his beautiful almond feline eyes one last time before giving him a kiss on his temple. "Bye bye, Kibummie."

He took his mother's hand again, telling her that they can go now. Kibum fell on his knees in the middle of the hallway, tired. Jonghyun is getting further and further away and Kibum can't stop him anymore.

"JJONGIE WILL COME BACK AND VISIT LIKE TAEMIN!" Kibum yelled. "KIBUMMIE WAIT HERE! KIBUMMIE WON'T SEE JJONG GO!" because Jonghyun will come back, right?

 

25th of May 1997, Jonghyun left the boys' home.

And he never comes back for Kibum.


 

"Is that cawr, hyung?" Taemin asked, looking down at the gate from the bedroom's window with Kibum.

"No. Jjongie's car is not white. It's not black. It's white but dirty like black but more clean than black. Do you understand, Taemin?" Kibum explained about Jonghyun's family's silver car.

Taemin nodded, looking down the window again. Good thing he brought his toy binocular today. He used his new toy to look around the whole area, trying to see if he can find Jonghyun like Kibum said. Kibum said Jonghyun will come visit like Taemin does. But it's been two weeks and no Jonghyun has been seen anywhere.

Ms. Moon came in, telling Taemin that it's time for him to go home. Taemin sadly pouted and said his goodbye to Kibum. Kibum waved him bye before looking back down from the window. He didn't notice that Ms. Moon stayed with him until the next hour, just watching him waiting for Jonghyun in front of the window sadly.

That's what Kibum did for the next month.


 

"Jjongie hyung not come back, hyung." Taemin announced sadly, tired of playing this game of look-for-Jjongie-in-front-of-bedroom-window for weeks.

"Jjongie will come back! He forgot his dino doll! Jjong will come get it, then Kibummie will ask him to stay." the blonde boy smiled, sincerely believing his plans would work.


 

"Taemin won't be coming today, Kibum-ah." Ms. Moon came inside his bedroom. "He's on vacation with his parents. Don't you want to go on vacations too?"

"No." Kibum replied shortly, eyes never leaving the window. "Kibummie waits for Jjong."


 

"Kibum, stop it." Ms. Moon finally can't take it anymore after months and drag the toddler out of his bedroom. Kibum struggled, trying to go back to his bedroom.

Unfortunately for him, Ms. Moon is one strong 23 years old young woman and he can't win against her. She carried five years old Kibum all the way from his bedroom and to her office; the place which Kibum avoids going to for the past two months, knowing that two certain adults are always there every week to take him away.

"Kibummie!" Mrs. Kim squealed at the sight of her son.

"Hey, little man." Mr. Kim greeted Kibum as well.

Ms. Moon put Kibum down in front of his parents. The two adults are looking at Kibum with expectations in their eyes, hoping that the boy will at least greet them. Kibum stayed silent on his spot for the next ten minutes, each minutes a hundred different feelings burst inside his little chest, mixed to the point that it almost drives him crazy. Wanting it or not, he realized that he's all by himself now and that Jonghyun won't come back for him.

Kibum burst out in tears, running to his parents. "UMMA! APPA!" he cried.

He jumped up to his mother's embrace, hugging her tightly as he lets her bounce him up and down. The three adults shared looks of surprise and happiness at Kibum's sudden change in attitude. Ms. Moon teared up at the sight, wanting nothing but to see a scene like this since Jonghyun left her his message to make sure that Kibum will always be happy.


 

"Let's go home, Kibummie."

"Hm." Kibum answered shakily. He's pondering if he should take the dino plushy with him. Mrs. Kim saw the plushy and took it from her son's hands.

"Umma will help you bring this one. What else are there?"


 

Ms. Moon wants to cry in a corner alone.

"Mrs. Ham and Ms. Moon, thank you for taking care of me. I'm sorry for the troubles I caused. I love you always." Jonghyun smiled weakly, though tears are already streaming down his cheeks.

"We love you too, Jonghyun-ah." Mrs. Ham answered because Ms. Moon is already crying rivers.

"Jonghyun did good, right?" he asked before jumping in his car. "Now Kibummie will go home and Jonghyun have home too! Nobody is alone, right?"

"Jonghyun did good. Jonghyun's the best." Mrs. Ham assured him.

"Tell Kibummie to take care of Dino." Jonghyun smiled bitterly. "I hope Kibummie will be happy. I love Kibum."

"Kibummie will be happy, Jonghyun-ah." Mrs. Ham told him, holding his hand in hers. "Don't forget Kibummie and the life you had here. Be grateful for what you have and love your umma and appa. Keep being the great boy you are now and grow up as a great man. We'll meet again someday. Bye, Jonghyun-"

"JONGHYUUUN!" Ms. Moon launched herself and gave him the biggest hug ever. Although she never admits it, Jonghyun has always been her favorite. How could she not when Jonghyun is the one who most frequently came to her office?

"Bye bye Mrs. Ham. Bye bye, Ms. Moon. I will call you, okaay?"

Seeing Kibum waved goodbye to her is as hard as saying bye to Jonghyun. Kibum kissed her goodbye and promised he'll visit like Taemin. The boy's eyes linger on the window of the room that used to be his and Jonghyun's. Ms. Moon can only smile in their bittersweet memories.

"Bye bye, Mrs. Ham. Bye bye, Ms. Moon." the blonde boy said.

 

30th of July 1997, Kibum left the boys' home.

But it doesn't matter.

 

 

All this is just a temporary bye bye. Because when you share the same past with someone, you tend to meet again somehow. Someday.

So did Mrs. Ham, Ms. Moon, Taemin, Kibum, and of course, Jonghyun.


 

 

 

{author's note}

Hope you enjoy reading it :)
If you're wondering, yes I was watching the anime Candy Candy when I was inspired for this.
Sorry it's not perfect writing.

I'm thinking if I should make a sequel or not.
Tell me what do you think about this story anyway.

Subscribe, upvote, and comment bellow! Thanks.

- KPOPMonstahh