2/? Wake up, Daehyun

Karma Killer

Daehyun woke up in the soft and warm feeling of the bed. He groaned. His body was raging pain and fatigue, and a simple move caused every muscle on his body to scream in agony. The worst was his legs. They were in heavy cast, the white material wrapping around his two limps, restricting him of any movement requiring his lower body. They were raging in pain when he tried to move, and reside to a bone aching throb when he stopped. His body felt terribly weak and sick, and Daehyun had to bite his lips and choked down the feeling of wanting to throw up. 

"Feeling better?" A voice broke trough the air, startling Daehyun out of his daze. His head snapped up, and he quickly groaned in agony. Dull throbbing spread through his head, making his vision swarm. The other quickly rushed toward him, and Daehyun panicked. Being in the basement only several days had built him a reflex to get away when anyone get close to him, no matter what their intention was. Daehyun's danger sensor was screaming with alarm, unsure of what the other man would do to him. He couldn't trust them not to hurt him. He had spent days lying on the cold filthy ground of the basement, hoping that they would spare him a day seeing the pathetic state he was in, but they had made sure every part on his body paid throughly for his mistake. 

But he didn't hate them for that. He couldn't, because no matter how hard Daehyun tried, he was soft at heart, and a slight look of regret on any of his old family's members' faces could wipe off anything bad they'd done to him. Daehyun knew he had a price to pay, and he was willing to pay. 

He was just scared. 

A sharp pain shot up from his legs and quickly spread throughout the wounds on his body as he tried to move. His form wasn't working with him, but despite that, Daehyun used his hands to scoot away until his back it the cold wall. His body was sweating, and his breathe short and erratic from the fear. A hand inched toward him, and Daehyun immediately raised his hand, covering his head. He was trembling violent, barely able to hold in the tears threatening to fall. "P-please." He whimpered. 

Youngjae looked at him, brown eyes filled with pain. He didn't mean to scare the other, and definitely wasn't expecting such a strong reaction from the other boy. He cautiously walked toward the bed, in hope not to rattle up Daehyun anymore. He could see Daehyun flinching with every step he took, his delicate body curled up into a ball. Quiet sobs filled the room, lilting up a eerie broken melody that strode a heavy chord through Youngjae's heart, making it beat a little faster. 

He shushed softly. "It's okay Daehyun. I brought you something to eat." He held out the bowl of hot steaming soup, the delicious smell wafted and filled the room. Daehyun didn't react to it, stayed a tight and small ball at the corner of the bed. He didn't make a move, sobbing and pleading for Youngjae not to hurt him, to spare him one day without pain. Youngjae swallowed the lump in his throat at the kitten like pleas, and sat down on bed. The dip on the soft material made the wounded boy jumped, but he still made no move.  

"Here." He said softly. "Eat something. It'll make you feel better." He held out the spoonful, waiting for the other to accept it. Daehyun shook his head in rejection, although his stomach was growling for food. Youngjae patiently tried a few more times, but his effort turned futile as Daehyun made no attempt to move from the little spot in the corner. Youngjae's patient was running thin, and as Daehyun showed his rejection one more time, he snapped. 

"Fine!! You little ! We're trying to take care off you and your little ungrateful decided to play hard to get. Well hard to get is what's you gonna get!! Why do I even bother! Anyone can feed you, but I'm not coming back!!" In a sheer moment of irritation and frustration, anger took over the logical side of his brain, and Youngjae spatted, face burned red with anger. He did not realize how harsh his words sounded, nor how Daehyun physically flinched as the word stabbed into him, causing him to curl up harder inside the small cocoon of confinement he built up. More tears leaked out of his eyes, and Daehyun's body wracked in sobs and violent trembles. 

Youngjae slammed the bowl harshly on the small table next to the bed, the liquid threatens to spill out. He got up and angrily stomped out of the room. Daehyun didn't know exactly what got to him, but he didn't want Youngjae to leave. His eyes flashed back to years ago, where he was left, wounded and dying on the ground, with their backs turned again him, and Daehyun choked with tears, pain consumed him rapidly. He didn't want Youngjae to go, he couldn't let Youngjae go. He couldn't be alone anymore. Loneliness had been his companion for years, clingy and unpleasant. And Daehyun had passed up his opportunity of being cared for, being taken care of, even though it was only for a brief period of his injury, because of his cowardliness. 

Mustering all the energy he had left, Daehyun pulled himself forward using his hands, ignoring the sharp stab shooting up from his legs. 

"Y-Youngjae-ah." He called, but the other didn't turn back. Youngjae was still mad, choosing to ignore any words coming out of Daehyun's mouth. He was at the door when a loud thud made his head snapped back. Daehyun was on the floor, his face contorted in pain. But dispute so, he quickly used his hands to drag himself across the room, and Youngjae's eyes burned in tears from the sight, guilt and sorrow gnawing his heart. He dashed toward the other. "What the are you doing??" He growled, voice low and almost cracking. 

"Y-Youngjae. P-please. I'm sorry. D-don't go." The other clung on his legs, looking up at him with teary eyes. "Beat me. Hit me. Kill me. Do anything. But p-please don't go. I'm sorry I fought back." He pleaded, every word stabbed Youngjae sharply in the heart, leaving them splintered and bleeding. He picked the injured boy up, wrapping him in his strong warm arms. Daehyun clung to Youngjae tightly, but cautiously, like he was afraid Youngjae would leave him any moment, laughing at him for naively believe that he would care for him. But Youngjae didn't. He carefully put on boy on the bed, but the other refused to let go of him. 

"P-please. Don't go. I'll let you hit me. I'll let you stab me. I'll let you so anything to me. I won't cry. I won't make a sound. Please don't go." Daehyun bit on his lips hard enough to draw blood, trying to hold back the tears. But streaks of water flowed down on his cheeks, replacing the stain of tears that had dried on his face, and little sobs and whimpers still made their ways out of his lips, wrecking the almost silent atmosphere. 

Youngjae shushed him. "I'll stay. I promise I'll stay. Just eat your food." He held up the still warm bowl, and started feeding him. Daehyun obediently received every spoon, occasional sobs escaped him. But as the soup filled his empty stomach, a warm feeling spreaders throughout his body, soothing him of the pain, the suffers, the humiliations. He wanted it to stay like this forever. He wanted to click the pause button, to let everything stop at this moment, so he can live this memories forever, delude himself to thinking that he was still loved, that there were still people who cared for him. 

But as everything starts, everything has to come to and end. 

Youngjae let out a satisfied sigh and put down the once full bowl of soup. "Good job Daehyun. Now rest. Remember to continue to eat. Himchan hyung probably won't be able to change your bandage until tomorrow, so bear with it a little. We'll check up on you, so say something if you feel uncomfortable. Rest well." Daehyun nodded and watched as the other took the bowl and got out of the room. The moment the door shut, he turned to the side and threw up everything. The taste was highly unpleasant in his mouth, and it made him screeched, getting every last piece out of his stomach. He gagged, feeling worse seeing the mess he made. His body was rejecting the food, already used to the constant hunger and deprivation. It would take a while for him to eat a full meal again, with difficulty. 

Daehyun wiped his mouth in disgusted at the mess he made. He wanted to clean it up, because the smell was getting to him, but he didn't have anything to use, nor energy to waste. 

Daehyun lied down on the bed and closed his eyes, hoping the unpleasant feeling gnawing at his stomach to go away, and drifted to a dreamless sleep. 


"How was he?" Yongguk asked. Youngjae put the bowl in the sink and shook his head. "Not so great. I don't think he knows about his legs." Everyone was there, with the exception of Himchan who was on a round of inspection at the clubs in their territory, and wouldn't be back until tomorrow. 

Yongguk sighed. "Don't tell him. Not now. He's gonna freak out." Youngjae nodded. He wouldn't. The new would be too much for Daehyun, who felt so useless most of the time he pushed away any good compliments coming his way. Now without his legs, Daehyun would be so broken. His wings had been stripped away from him, leaving him bleeding and dying on the cold hard ground. 

He couldn't tell Daehyun it yet. 

"Y-Youngjae hyung." Zelo called. Youngjae hummed in return. "Hmm?"

"I'm sorry." He muttered, shaking a little. Youngjae could have swore he saw tears in the maknae's eye, but Zelo rarely ever cry. Despite being the maknae, emotionally, Zelo was one of the strongest. He vent his frustration out using violence, trained himself to never show his tears. He was strong, both physically and emotionally. But sometimes they forgot he was just a 17 years old boy, and that strong armor he built for himself could break down about any moment. "I didn't mean to ruin his leg. I was angry." Zelo said shakily. Jongup also hung his head low, guilt wracking them both.  Youngjae shook his head. "You guys weren't the only one. We hurt him to, and there was nothing to say sorry to me. I'm not the one who deserve that apology." He swallowed the lump in his throat and turned to the group leader. 

He looked into the older's eyes and called out"Hyung." 

"What?"

"I don't think we should do it anymore."

"Do what?"

"Daehyun." He swallowed. 

Yongguk looked at him, searching for an explanation. 

"I keep thinking that this is wrong, this is so wrong. And I know this is wrong. I don't want him hurt anymore. We broke him hyung. There isn't much left except putting a bullet through his head and end his life, and I don't think any of us want that, not yet." 

Everyone turned silent as his words. 

Yongguk slowly spoke up. "I understand. But be careful, Youngjae. Daehyun is a marvelous actor, and we can't be sure this isn't another show he put up to bring us to downfall." That was true. Daehyun was gifted, with big eyes and endearing face that could easily fooled people into believing the lies he put out. Yongguk understood every words the younger said, but didn't trust Daehyun enough to give him the privilege Youngjae had hope to. 

"We won't do anything more to him. But he'll be constantly at watch, until a bit of trust could be gain back from him." 

Youngjae's eyes lit up, and he nodded his head almost excitedly. "Thank you hyung. That would be enough."  

It was the maknae's turn to to bring food down to Daehyun, and his nose scrunched up in disgust at the sour smell. "Daehyun!" He yelled. "Here's your meal." His voice muffled, trying his least to inhale the air around him. 

The slump on bed stirred, and moment later, a head stick out. Zelo stood from a far and push the stray of food toward the other, then quickly ran out. Seeing Daehyun made the guilt eat up his inside, and Zelo chose the easy way of escape. It was too much. 

"Did he eat?" Youngjae asked. Zelo shrugged, trying to act normal. "Yeah."

"Zelo. There's something we need you to do." Yongguk called, and Zelo  walked their almost too silently. He was usually very hyper for very mission received. 

Yongguk knew the capability of every members, and he sent each to mission that suit them the best. Zelo's deathly accurate aim was used to assassinate people from a far. The victim would be death with a hole in his head before no one would even be able to notice him. Youngjae's brain was always handy for tactic and strategy planning. He was the definition of cunning and manipulative, hiding behind the cover of innocence and youthful appliance. He could bend a person's mind with his words faster than their logic cells could think. Jongup, flexible and fast, could killed a group of heavily arm people and came back unharmed. Himchan was in charge of tending wound and injured, although his medical understanding of medical also lead to a deep understanding of poison. His victim would be death in a second without any wound, not until people found out that the inside had been eaten away by some deathly poison. But he was the poison of the mind. He was sensitive to emotion, bring able to read people like he read a book. Himchan knew how to twist a person by manipulate their emotion. But Himchan wasn't fond of doing it. He was a sensitive soul himself, leaning more toward nurture than destroy. And Yongguk, the leader, could handled all their skills as ease. He wasn't be as excellent as them, but it was enough to classify him as one of the most dangerous in the underground world. 

And Daehyun, Jung Daehyun, with his marvelous acting skill, and the ability to lie easily though his teeth, was the bait of the group. 

Himchan walked down the room. He needed to change the bandage for Daehyun and do some medical checkup on the wounded boy. He the light and eyes widened at the sight in front of him. The food they gave Daehyun was left untouched, two meals in a role and there was a puddle that look like puke next to the bed, which Himchan could guess that it was from the time Youngjae checked up on Daehyun. He ran other the younger, and breathe hitched when he found the other laid on bed, pale and malnourish, sweating heavily and twitching as his wounds tormented him. Himchan silently cursed at the others for not checking up on Daehyun, but he couldn't blame them. Yongguk was busy and the members were probably sent away for missions, leaving them less time to worry for Daehyun. 

He picked the other up, ignored the disgusting smell, and ran out of the room. The others was startled at his action. Yongguk stopped working, Youngjae's head snapped up from the computer, followed by Zelo whose attention was on the plan Youngjae had sketched out. Jongup already left. 

"Youngjae!! Go get me all the medical lot you can grab in my room!! Yongguk! Go get some hot water and tower!! Zelo. Get the bed ready." He yelled, sweats rolling down his face. "Hurry up!!" 

The others jumped and quickly followed his orders. Himchan rushed to the spare room and placed the other on the bed. Zelo was already there, pushing everything out of the way for Himchan. The boy had lost his conscious, slipping deep into darkness. His breathe was leaving him, and Himchan felt panicked rose up his chest. They were about to loose Daehyun at any moment, and it put extra pressure on Himchan to get Daehyun stable. They were careless, not making sure that Daehyun had eat his food, or feeling properly. 

The others rushed in moment later, carrying what needed.

"Youngjae. Stay here. You guys get out." Himchan said. The door closed, and Yongguk and Zelo left standing in silence. 

"Yongguk. We're getting him out of the basement." Himchan said sternly. Yongguk nodded without any future argument.

Youngjae smiled softly. "Thanks hyung." He muttered to Himchan. 

"Don't mention it. We were loosing him in there. If for some reason I didn't come down, there was no saying what would happen." Himchan sighed. "You guys were so careless, I couldn't believe it. I understand you're busy but if you want him to live, check up on him once in a while." Youngjae bit his lips, eyes shifting around. "Especially you, Youngjae." 

"I...," Youngjae breathed out. "...sorry." 

"Don't say sorry to me," Himchan said. "Say it when Daehyun wakes up." 

Youngjae nodded. 

They all owed him one. 

 

 

A/n: oh my god sorry for not updating often, but it's so long and it took forever for me to fix my mistakes (those I noticed) and revise it. I actually cut a chunk of it down cause I got really lazy but you guys are waiting so I want to update ;n;.

comments?