Wondering About Her

Wondering About Her

Chapter 1

 

It was around midnight, the sky was dark outside the window, the bird which usually chirps went back to its resting nest & the crickets came out of their hiding place to sing their songs. The room, embellished in differs of colors, stood out from the night sky. Over on the bed, a boy of eighteen year old sat on his bed, reading his pocketbook interestingly. He was supposed to be sleeping but the riveting plots in the booklet had his attention.

 

High school graduation was that day & after all his enduring with schooling, he has finally made it to that day but of course, there was still college to deal with but he was looking forward to it. He signed up for a tuition a long time ago, gotten his acceptance letter & even his luggage was already packed. Now, it was just time to sit back & relax.

 

Today’s graduation went well. Everyone he knew was present; it even surprised him that students who never came in the first day of school have been there. Even she was there. It really made him happy to see her on the stage, getting her diploma like every other graduates but it pained him to see her beautiful, brown, almond-shaped eyes in sorrow. He just wanted to go up to her & hug her tightly & tell her that everything’s going to be alright.

 

Something hit his window as he jumped from his perspective & ran to see what was on there. He lifted it up & looked around but didn't see anything, ‘Maybe it was the darn tree!’ He thought. Just when he was about to shut the windowpane, a hand grabbed his, stopping him.

 

“Yunho Oppa, wait.” A soft, euphonious voice begged. Yunho looked at who was holding onto his hand & widened his brown, almond-shaped eyes. Using his other hand, he helped her into his room. Her arms were delicate so he tried his best not to squeeze it for she was already in enough pain. It took a lot of pulling & struggling for her to finally enter the room since his window wasn’t all that big. Once she was inside, she landed on the floor with a thump. Her innocent eyes widened as she quickly got up.

 

“Its okay, Yuri.” Yunho whispered, “My parents are in bed already & they sleep like the dead.”

 

To that, Yuri nodded & sighed with relief & let Yunho lead her to the bed. As they sat down, a dead beat of silence swam within the room. Yuri was gripping onto her black signature polo shirt that was from three years ago with affliction. The room was slightly dimmed & with Yuri’s head bowing down & her mid-back length dark brown hair covering her angelic oval-shaped face, he couldn’t get a good look at her.


“Is something wrong?” Yunho asked, full of concern.

 

Yuri was about to shake her head but of course, it would be a lie. Since she came there for help, she might as well tell him what occurred but she was too scared to open . Yunho & his family had already helped her enough, she didn’t know if she should even think of asking them for anymore help.

 

“I.” She began, fidgeting with her shirt, “I...uh, I.”

 

Yunho vacated his seat next to her & squatted down in front of her instead. He gently lifted her face up so her face could be viewed. Shocked, Yunho stared at the usually beautiful face which was now ruined with bruises & scratches. Yuri immediately turned her head away when she saw the horrid in Yunho’s eyes.


“Don’t.” She said, “Don’t look at me.”

 

Yunho grabbed onto her shoulder tightly, “Who did this to you? Tell me?”

 

Yuri hesitated, now half sobbing with her shoulders shaking. Yunho’s heart wrenched as his grip left her shoulders & was now caressing her bruised cheeks, “Shhh.” He soothed, “Its okay, it’s alright. No one’s going to hurt you here.”

 

“I...I know.” Yuri coughed out between her sobs. Yunho ushered her off of his bed & to the ground where he could get better access to hold her tightly. After a long time, Yuri’s sob subsided & she rested her head on his shoulder, liking the feel of someone there for her.

 

An amount of time passed by before Yunho whispered, “Your dad did this, didn’t he?”

 

The responses he got was her nod, “Was he drinking or did one of his girlfriends ditch him so he took it out on you?” Yunho asked.

 

“There isn’t a second when he’s not drunk.” Yuri uttered softly. Yunho tightened his hold on her, resting his chin on top of her head.

 

“What is there that I can do to help?” He asked.

 

Yuri paused for a moment. No, she couldn’t ask Yunho for anymore favors. She couldn’t, shouldn’t & wouldn’t. Slowly shaking her head, she said, “No, just hold me.”

 

Yunho kissed her forehead & hugged her. He & Yuri have known each other since they were five years old. He was playing with his dog, Taepung, in the backyard when he suddenly saw somebody in his tree house. He found a little girl crying in the corner, too scared to accept anything from anyone. She had bruises on her arms & neck & he didn’t know if there were more. Informing his parents about it, they took her in for a while until her mother came to take her home. Yunho didn’t want Yuri to go for whenever she did, he didn’t know what danger she would be in. Yuri’s dad was a drinker, abuser & smoker & her mother died when she was eight years old from cancer. From that day on, Yunho began to protect her even more. Yuri tries her best to get good grades but it was almost impossible to show your face in school with bruises. The abuses was very severe during her childhood but it stopped a little as she got older & now, Yunho didn’t know what to expect.

 

“What are you planning to do now?” Yunho her arms.


“I...I don’t know. My tuition was never mailed & my college acceptance never came so I don’t know what to do.” Yuri stuttered.

 

“Are you going to go back?” If he had a penny for every time he asked that then he would be as rich as hell right now!

 

Hesitating for a brief moment, Yuri answered, “Yes.” Yunho nodded, although he was disappointed. He didn’t have any rights to object.

 

Yuri looked at the clock on the wall & gasped at the time. Wiping away her hidden tears, she extracted herself from Yunho’s arms, “I...I should go.” She said, & began to get up.

 

Yunho did the same & grabbed onto her hand, “No, stay for a while more.” But Yuri shook her head & disentangled herself away.


“Really, I shouldn’t be bothering you.” Yuri headed for the window. Lifting the windowpane, she readily placed her flawless, long legs over. Yunho walked to her & grabbed her arms again.


“But it’s very late & you shouldn’t be out at this time.” He insisted, “Just stay in my room until its morning & then you can go back. I will take the floor.”

 

Yuri smiled, “I can’t take anymore from you, Oppa, & I have already taken too much. Tonight you sleep on your bed. If I could come here safely by myself in this late hour then I can go back home safely.”

 

Yunho was about to protests but closed his mouth, “A...Are you sure?”


“I’m sure.” Yuri whispered.

 

“Then.” He started, “You will contact me tomorrow so we will talk about what you will do in the future okay?”

 

“Okay.” She said, & leaned over to kiss his cheeks, “Good night, Oppa. I will never forget you.”

 

He frowned at that statement & was about to ask her what it meant when she vanished. Looking around the area, he called out her name but got no responses, ‘It was probably nothing.’ Yunho told himself. Scratching the back of his neck, he walked back to his bed. Deciding that he should get some sleep, he put his booklet away & shut off the lamp.

 

Yuri, standing behind the tree trunk of which she & Yunho first met, watched as the light of his room turn pitch black. A single tear dropped from her eyes, full of reluctance & sorrow. Taking out a piece of paper from her pocket, she placed it on the knothole of the tree. Not noticing her fresh bruise, she wiped her cheeks roughly. She really did mean what she said earlier. She will never forget Yunho or his family for all that they did for her, “Goodbye.” She murmured, & walked to the gate of where she came from. Not wanting the squeak to abrupt the quiet neighborhood, she stepped on a patch of brick & climbed over the gate. Tomorrow was another day & she didn’t know what she was going to do, where she was going to go or who she is going to meet.

 

The next morning, Yunho woke up & headed straight for Yuri’s house. Yuri wasn’t home but her drunk of a father was passed out so he didn’t inform him where Yuri was. He checked every place where Yuri might be. The grassy hill, pier & the junkyard but she was nowhere to be found.

 

Where could she be? They agreed that they would get together the next day & now, he couldn’t find her anywhere. Then it hit him. He ran home & to the backyard. Climbing on the nailed wood of stairs, he reached the top in a matter of seconds. It disappointed him when he saw that the tree house was empty. It had a cold & lonely atmosphere around it. Sighing, he climbed back down. At the bottom, he leaned on the trunk, putting his full weight against it. He set his head back & felt a slight poke into his skull. Turning, he saw a paper sticking out of the knothole. Snatching it almost immediately, he looked at the paper with Yuri’s familiar writing. It was a note address to him.

 

‘Dear Yunho Oppa,

 

I really appreciate all the things you have done for me & I’m really sorry for disturbing you for so long but now, I won’t ever bother you again. I apologize for whatever my dad did & I don’t know how I could ever repay you for that. I’m pretty sure you are probably looking for me right now but I can’t show my face around you anymore. Don’t worry though, wherever I am, I’m safe. Please don’t try to find me? One day, when I find my true self, I will find you. Once again, I’m truly sorry.

 

Love,

 

Yuri’

 

Yunho crumble up the note tightly against his fist angrily. She left, she actually left. How could she leave without discussing it with him first? They always tell each other everything. Why now? Why did she keep her feelings inside of her? Whatever problems or troubles she have they could bear it together. He punched the tree trunk hard with his knuckles, not caring about the pain. There’s nothing he could do now. She’s already gone. Rearranging the note, he folded it neatly & tucked it in his pocket. It was the last thing he had of Yuri so he might as well keep it safe with him.

 

“Yes, the files are needed on my desk tomorrow morning.” Yunho said, his voice low & casual over the phone line.

 

“Alright, I will have them ready.” Kim Taeyeon, his secretary, answered. After a few more acknowledgements, the line was disconnected as Yunho set the headpiece down.

 

There was a big meeting the next day at his company & as an executive in sales & marketing, it isn’t an easy job to handle. Every day if he wasn’t on the computer then he would be at meetings & social functions. There wasn’t a single leisure time left for himself, things like this results in stress. Hell, he’s typing on his computer right now! Concluding his documents, he closed the windows & shutdown the machine. Grabbing the papers from the printer, he placed it inside the cream colored folder along with the rest of the reports. Letting out a tired breath, he placed the folder inside his black samsonite leather expandable briefcase, ready for tomorrow. Rubbing his aching back, he paced towards his bathroom, picking up his toothbrush. His eyelids felt heavy as he quickened his brushing. After changing from his lilac egyptian cotton luxury twill classic fit dress shirt & black stretch cotton photographer dress pants into a comfortable plaid green woven pajama, he practically flew onto his bed. Even though it was only ten, he usually went to bed early for he has to get up at six in the morning to get himself ready for work.

 

When he was about to doze off, the phone rang. Groaning, Yunho stared at it, hoping it will go away but his instincts told him that there might be an emergency from the office so he sat up & grabbed the phone.

 

“Yeah?” He answered.

 

“Mr. Jung, hello.” An elderly voice came.

 

“Mr. Lee.” Yunho greeted, “I told you not to call me that, I’m not old but is there something I could help you with?” Mr. Lee was the building’s landlord. He was an old, likable man whose wife died earlier & his children was already off on their own.

 

“I forgot again. Sorry, Yunho.” He apologized, “I didn’t mean to disturb you or anything but I forgot to notify you.”

 

“Of what?”

 

“A tenant is moving in tomorrow in the apartment across from you but I don’t know what time so if she somehow made a lot of noise then please excuses her? She’s got a handful of stuff.” Mr. Lee said.

 

“Oh, is that all?” Yunho chuckled, “Don’t worry, I’m probably at work when she’s moving in so don’t worry.” When they bid goodbye, Yunho hung up the phone. He stared at his digital clock before slumping back to his cozy bed.

 

The loud booming noises from somewhere shattered Yunho’s peaceful dream. He tried to ignore it as he shut his eyes tighter & deeper than he thought he could. Tossing & turning, he flipped the blanket over him, covering his ears tightly but it didn’t work; the disturbing ruckus was too loud for anyone to rest in peace. Glancing at the clock, he groaned when he saw the time. Three-fifty. The person was moving in at three in the morning? What nutcase would wake up so damn early to move in?!

 

Angrily, he got out of the bed & went to the bathroom. Clearing the cobwebs away, he splashed his small, oval-shaped face with water. Walking to the kitchen, he took out a gallon of coke & poured it into a glass cup. Taking a big sip, he gulped it whole. There was a loud noise that came from outside & Yunho rolled his eyes, “Sorry.” A surprisingly soft voice apologized. The movement continued but the noises went down a little. Yunho chuckled & shook his head. The woman was implausibly eccentric. Putting a slice of bread in the toaster, he walked towards the living room & the television. As the screen appeared, Yunho slouched on his leather-made couch.

 

He was pondering whether he should be a gentleman that he is & help the lady out or leave it to her for she was the one who woke him up from his sleep. The sun wasn’t even out yet. When his toast was ready, he put peanut butter on it & in two big bites; the bread was fully in his stomach.

 

Before he decided on what he should do, the noise stopped & he heard a door slam. Oh well, she’s already done so there’s no need for his help anymore. It’s almost six & since he had a lot of time, thanks to the lady from the door across, he decided to take a nap on the couch.

 

Yunho came home as tired as a working bee. It was eight & he felt like sleeping already. Throwing his briefcase onto the couch, he slumped down with it, pulling his black-white repp tie loose. The room was so quiet, he had thought of finding a roommate before but he was too busy to even make a move.

 

“Argh!” He groaned, & rubbed his forehead. His back was aching & the muscle of his torso was also hurting. He seriously needs to go to get a massage.

 

The meeting was very hectic & frustrating. It didn’t turn out as well as he expected. He had a feeling that the cooperation won’t end up as a good result. It was a bad day for him. First, his sleep was disturbed by his new neighbor then he was stuck in traffic then his secretary gave him the wrong folder & there was traffic when he got home & then now. Since he didn’t have an appetite at the moment, he will just get ready for bed & this time, hopefully, there won’t be another day of jinx. He changed into his sleeping clothes & headed for the kitchen.

 

After washing the dishes from yesterday, he dumped the trash in the trashcan. Wrapping the top of the bag in a knot, he lifted it up & walked to the door. He took the stairs down & it was three floors until he got to the bottom.

 

As he walked to the big dumpster, he spotted a woman throwing her bag inside. She turned around & walked passed him, her face was looking down as she wiped her arms so he couldn’t get a good look at her. Shrugging, Yunho threw the bag into the dumpster & turn to followed the woman back inside. When she opened the door to go in, he was surprised she also held it for him.

 

“Thank you.” Yunho conveyed, turning to face her. When he saw her face he was shock of the familiarity.

 

“It’s no problem.” She said, & walked passed him. With anxiety, he ran towards her & grabbed a hold of her arm. At the feel of her soft tanned skin; he was sure that he got the right person.

 

The woman turned her head around in confusion at him, “Yes?” She asked, “Can I help you?”

 

“Yuri.” His eyes widened, “You are Kwon Yuri, aren’t you?”

 

She was about to ask him how he knew her name when she came to realize who he was, “Yunho Oppa?” This time, her eyes extended, “Oh my gosh, you look so different.”

 

“Same goes to you.” Yunho smiled of astonishment, “I never thought I had ever see you again.” He stated.

 

“What are you doing here in Japan?”

 

“It’s a long story.” She answered. Noticing that his arms were still gripping on hers, she shyly disentangled herself away from him, “What are you doing here?”

 

“I moved here after I graduated from college.” Yunho put his hands in his pocket. By the way she was dressed; she obviously was a resident of the building, “You live here?”

 

“Yeah, you too?”

 

“Yes, which apartment are you in?”

 

“C5.”

 

Yunho’s eyes looked stunned, “You are my new neighbor?”

 

“Uh, I guess.” She laughed.

 

There was a long moment of pause before Yunho broke the ice & said, “You haven’t changed a bit Yuri, always doing weird things. You do know that you woke me up today. Three-fifty, Yuri. You moved in at three-fifty.” formed an o as she stammered, “I’m so sorry about that. I knew I woke up someone with all those clattering. I’m really, really sorry.”

 

“Let’s go back in & talk. I don’t think standing here is a good place for a conversation.” Yunho joked, as she giggled & agreed. They both walked up the stairs & Yuri invited him into her apartment.

 

It was still slightly empty with half of the boxes unpacked. There was a couch & television, chairs & other stuff were scattered around the place.

 

“I’m sorry about the mess but I didn’t quite have time to finish unpacking.” Yuri excused, as she picked up a squeaky toy from the ground that was blocking their path. Yunho shrugged, saying it wasn’t necessary & sat down on the couch. While Yuri made them both a drink, he saw a box full of toys opened. Picking up a Jack in the box, he smiled at it. He never knew Yuri liked children’s stuff. When Yuri came in the room with two cups, he showed her the toy.

 

“You enjoy these things?” He asked.


“Oh...uh, well…”

 

“Mommy!” A little voice boomed in the room. Yunho turned to see a small boy no more than five years old running towards Yuri.

 

‘Mommy?’ Yunho wondered, ‘The toy isn’t Yuri’s. It was the boy’s, Yuri’s son.’ He stare as Yuri lifted him up, “What is it, baby?” She asked.

 

“I don’t want to sleep, I want to play!” He whined. Yuri sighed, staring at Yunho & then at her son, she agreed. The little boy showed his missing front teeth with a big smile & ran to a room. Yuri gave an apologetic look to Yunho & sat down on the couch next to him.


“So?” Yunho began, feeling a little unease. Yuri has a son. That must mean… “Is your husband still at work or something?”

 

Her smile was also unease & almost shameful, “I don’t have a husband.”