School Life Without Sight

The Things I Wish I Could See

Luhan was currently sitting at his desk inside of his home base classroom. His cane leaned against the wall to his left, the breeze ruffling his hair slightly as the scent of cherries was carried into the classroom. His seat was the only seat that was allowed to be placed next to the windows, making it easier for him to find it. The cold metal of the seat slightly stung his legs through the thin pants he wore, but it didn't bother him. Why would it bother him? He could only hear and feel things and the cold metal was comforting, to say the least. The smooth metal, warm breeze, and scent of cherries brought back memories of the images he could never see again.

 

Sighing, Luhan laid his head down on the wooden desktop, closing his eyes as he tried his hardest to remember the things he used to do before he went blind. One visual came to mind almost instantaneously...

 

Luhan was sitting with his older brother, Yixing, and Yixing's boyfriend, Chen. They were watching some horror movie or something. Luhan was sitting on his brother's lap, holding onto him tightly as a jump scare flashed across the screen and a high pitched noise blasted through the speakers. Chen and Yixing just HAD to turn on the surround sound, scaring the youngest even more.

 

at some point during the movie Luhan had started crying in fear and, of course, Yixing held him, but laughed at the poor kid as he tried to hide from the images. Luhan covered his ears as another loud noise startled him. He stayed like that until the end and maybe a little longer. Yixing had to reassure him the nothing was there by taking out the disk, putting it in the case, then storing the case back into the closet where all their movies were kept.

 

Yixing pat Luhan's head as he tried to pry him off of his lap, but that only made Luhan hold onto him tighter. Luhan had yet to open his eyes and did not want to open his eyes. Ever. Finally, after having Chen, Yixing, and Suho, his eldest brother who had come downstairs after hearing Luhan scream, prod at him for about ten minutes he opened his eyes.

 

But nothing came into view. Everything was dark, as though he hadn't opened his eyes yet. Luhan blinked a couple of times, his eyes wide, as usual, but his eyebrows up and his mouth hanging open slightly in confusion.

 

"Hyong?" Luhan asked, blinking a couple times again.

 

"Yes, Luhannie?" Suho responded, using the nickname he had been calling Luhan since he was five.

 

"Why are the lights off? It's really dark and I don't like it..." Luhan pouted at the end, reaching out, blindly, for his oldest brother.

 

Suho tensed and exchanged looks with Yixing and Chen.

 

"Um...Luhannie? The lights aren't off..." Suho eventually answered, kneeling down to be on eye level with Luhan.

 

"Then why is it so dark, Hyong?" Luhan asked, looking in the direction he thought Suho was in.

 

"Luhan. Are you feeling alright?" Suho waved his hand in front of Luhan's eyes, becoming increasingly worried when he moticed that the kid wasn't responding at all. He then pressed his hand to Luhan's forehead, "Shoot... Luhan, you're burning up."

 

All of a sudden, dizziness hit Luhan, causing him sway slightly. A few seconds later his head was pounding and nausea caused bile to rise, burning his throat.

 

"H-Hyong..?" Luhan's voice shook, "I... I don't f-feel g-good..."

 

"Ah, Luhan, come here" Suho picked up Luhan and turned to Chen and Yixing to say, "Yixing. You and Chen get a bowl of water and some wash rags and bring it up to our room." Before turning on his heel sharply nd carrying him up to their room.

 

Suho and Luhan shared a room ever since Luhan was born. Suho laid the kid down onto his small bed, tucking him under the covers as chills and coughs wracked his body.

 

. . .

 

Luhan remembered that day clearly. It was the beginning of his sickness and the start of his sightless life.

 

He sighed again and lifted his head as he heard many pair of footsteps echoing in the classroom. Then another pair walked through the open door and went straight to Luhan's desk.

 

"Good morning, Luhan..." The deep voice gave Luhan shivers of delight when he heard it.

 

Giggling lightly Luhan smiled brightly, "Good morning, Sehunnie..."

 

Sehun leaned down and kissed Luhan gently on the lips, "Did you sleep well, baby?" Sehun asked as usual.

 

"Of course. What about you?" Luhan was always giddy when he was talking with his boyfriend.

 

Oh Sehun. That was the name of his boyfriend. The one and only person in the entire school who didn't try to abandon him in his time of need.

 

Sehun didn't abandon Luhan because he had been abandoned himself. It was true that Sehun was a an orphan. He had been left on the doorstep of an orphanage after he was born. Even though his background is sad and lonely, he still found enough happiness to give to Luhan. He showed what many people didn't. Kindness. Compassion. And most of all... Love.

 

He was very polite, but was a man of very few words. No one approached him, though. Mainly because didn't look like the friendly type. He was tall and skinny, but what he did have was muscle. He was very strong and fit, probably the healthiest person alive, in Luhan's opinion.

 

"You're so cute, my little doe." Sehun whispered to him as more teenagers filed into the room.

 

"Sehun~" Luhan whined! reaching out to grab Sehun's hand.

 

sehun only chuckled at his lover. He turned around when he noticed their teacher had entered the classroom.

 

"Luhan" Sehun called, saying his name delicately as though the boy would break if he didn't.

 

"do you have to go to your seat now?" Luhan frowned, pouting with his cheeks puffed out.

 

"I'm sorry, but I do" Sehun kissed Luhan's forehead. "Wait a few minutes for me after class, okay? I have to ask Mr. Lee a question."

 

"Fine... But you get to take the blame if I'm we're late for calculus." Luhan smiled as he heard Sehun sigh in defeat.

 

"alright, alright. You win." Sehun chuckled as he walked across the classroom and sat down at his own desk as the class began.