Chapter 6

Other Side of the Mirror

 

 

Jinki gasped as the horse began to trot alongside Minho’s, his lips curling into a large smile once again as he held on tight, looking around at the scenery. He was in awe, and that was the only way he could possibly think to describe it. He had only been surrounded by towering concrete buildings his entire life, placed inside a box that he was never meant to escape, so the free land that laid before him was a sight he had never dared to dream of.

“It’s beautiful,” he whispered, causing Minho to turn his gaze from the path ahead and face Jinki, who was the horse’s mane, yet staring at the trees that they passed, taking in every inch of the area before slowly dragging his eyes back to Minho who laughed quietly and shrugged, tapping the side of his steed with ihs heel to urge it to go faster. “There aren’t any placed like this where I’m from, well, none close to me.” Jinki explained with a small sigh.

“Is that so?” Minho asked quietly, tugging on the rope of Jinki’s horse as it tried to stray from his guidance, leading them into the woods and towards the creek that he remembered being so fascinated by when he had first come to live in the palace. Before he had realized what his father had done to get in. “It’s rather normal here,” He stated, shrugging as they continued onwards, Jinki not saying another word as he leaned forward, fingers tight around the harness though the horse seemed to have no intention of throwing him off.

It wasn’t until Minho stopped that he looked up in confusion, watching as the taller man slipped off of his steed and tethered it to a nearby tree. Jinki trying to climb off as well before Minho came over to help, “We can go wade in the water for a bit, it’s fun,” he said, watching as Jinki stressed his arms high above his head before following behind Minho who had since finished securing both of the horses.  

“Is it cold?” Jinki asked, leaning down to slip off his shoes as Minho did as well, rolling up his pants and stepping into the water.

“It’s alright,” He said, smiling up at him, causing Jinki to sigh before stepping in, having never been too fond of the cold. But Minho had extended his arms and he was drawn forward, biting down on his bottom lip as Minho’s fingers wrapped around his waist to help him lower down into the water, a squeal escaping him when his toes dipped in. Squirming a bit at an attempt of escape, Minho only laughing as he set him down, the water reaching his shins.

“You lied,” Jinki huffed, shoving Minho’s arm gently and shaking his head before shuffling his legs a bit in an attempt to warm up, causing Minho to laugh.

“Oh come on, it’s not that cold,” he teased as he made his way to a large rock to lean against it, watching as Jinki seemed to calm down, staring at the water before reaching down to pick up something he seemed to find interesting, Minho’s heart swelling only to be crushed once again with guilt. He was a killer, and no matter what he did in attempt to comfort himself he knew he’d be killing Jinki, who had never done a single thing to hurt anyone. Yet it was between Jinki and the people his father was slowly killing. One life for the sake of many and objectively Minho was doing the right thing but it was becoming harder to think that way as the days ticked by. “What are you doing?” He called out, trying to tear himself away from such thoughts as Jinki wandered a bit further downstream, almost leaving Minho’s line of sight though his shout seemed to catch his attention as he dropped whatever he had been holding before huffing and making his way back to Minho’s side.

“You scared me.” He hissed, causing the taller to roll his eyes only to blink in surprise when water hit his face. Jinki laughing quietly as he splashed the man again, Minho blinking rapidly before a small smirk curled his lips, swinging his hand forward to splash back, laughing when Jinki gasped and took a step back, sputtering in surprise.

“No fair!” He called, pointing an accusing finger in Minho’s direction, though the other only stuck out his tongue.

 


It was hours before the two returned to the stables, Minho’s hair flattened thanks to Jinki launching himself onto him, though the shorter had stayed mostly dry, excluding his pants.

“It’s cold,” Minho mumbled after a moment, helping Jinki down from the horse, the shorter nodding in agreement. “If only someone hadn’t gotten us soaked,” he continued teasingly, Jinki grinning before bumping his hip against Minhos, the man tensing before smiling and slipping an arm around Jinki, rubbing his side in a half-hearted attempt to keep him somewhat warm, as his mother had done to him years ago. “Let’s get you inside,” he said absently, guiding Jinki back to the halls, not bothering to glance around for workers, knowing that they stayed by his father’s chambers at night.

“You don’t have heaters do you?” Jinki asked quietly, rubbing his arms as they entered Minho’s bedroom, the younger shaking his head as he removed his arm from Jinki’s waist and went to get them both dry clothes.

“We have fires,” he said simply, not bothering to ask what a heater was as the name seemed rather self explanatory. “I’ll start one while you get dressed,” he added as he tossed the clothes towards Jinki he fumbled to catch them. “They’ll be big on you but they’re only to sleep in which should be fine.”

Jinki only nodded before shuffling towards the door that Minho opened, a gas lamp hanging inside of the small area, ensuring Jinki would be able to see. It took Minho a matter of seconds to get dressed once the bathroom door was closed, taking a moment to start the fire before leaping onto his bed just as Jinki walked out of the bathroom.

“I don’t think that’s safe,” he said quietly, sitting on the end of the bed as Minho’s eyes slowly traveled over to him.

“Why not?” He asked, motioning for Jinki to lay beside him, the male hesitating before before slowly moving to rest his head on the free pillow, staring at the flames for a moment, the sight relaxing him.

“It could set your bed frame on fire,” he mumbled, shifting to slip beneath the blanket as his eyes began to droop. Minho merely snorting in response, finding the fire to be far enough away, though by the time he opened his mouth to reply Jinki had fallen asleep, his arms wrapped tightly around the pillow, leaving Minho to sigh. Reaching out to brush a lock of hair from his face before turning away from Jinki and closing his eyes to sleep as well.

 


Minho turned, sweat trickling along his jaw as he tried to get comfortable, the blanket tangled around his legs as he finally forced his eyes open. His sight was blurry for a moment, the man blinking it clear as his hand slid along the bed, relaxing only when his fingertips brushed against Jinki’s arm, sitting up and glancing at him only to scowl when he saw that he was in a different pair of clothes. His hair pushed back, clipped at the ends.

“What the hell,” he muttered, slowly moving to stand, only to freeze when Jinki’s eyes shot open, the smaller man staring up at Minho for a long moment before he sat up, legs swinging over the edge of the bed. “Jinki?” He called, watching as the man made his way towards the fire, tending to the dying flames. “What are you doing?” He asked, tensing up the longer that the other remained silent.

“You’re an idiot,” the boy finally sighed, standing back up once the fire was self sustained once again, arms crossing over his chest, staring at Minho with obvious disappointment.

“Jinki I-”

The other cut him off, raising a hand as his lips curled, “Onew,” he said sternly before fixing his shirt, “I am Onew, Jinki is still asleep,” he said, his tone changing to one that sounded almost sympathetic.

Minho was in shock, jaw hanging as the former prince watched, head cocking to the side before he let out a laugh. “Oh, don’t say you didn’t expect me when you’re planning something so vile and using my things to do it!” he hissed, voice dripping with sarcasm as he settled on a chair that stood near the flames. “I mean when I was first killed I would have loved to be brought back, to live again, be able to breathe and feel anything, but now I don’t want to be brought back. Not if another being has to die for it. There is no need to take a life for a life, nothing good will come of it.” Onew said, clicking his tongue in disapproval.

“But you need to come back,” Minho forced out, the other staring up at him silently, “The kingdom needs you-” he whispered, voice dying out as Onew’s eyes narrowed into a glare.

“No, they need a ruler Minho. I died and you wretched my soul from it’s rest to watch as you kill off an innocent boy!” Onew spat, fingers curling into fists against his knees as he seemed to struggle not to leap up, “I know you mean well and I cannot blame you for dealing this in the best way you know but, god, you’re a fool to not see the easiest solution.”

Mino could only stare, mind going blank as he tried to process everything that was going on. “What is that then?” he asked.

“You have an exact replica of my likeness, and while Jinki and I are not similar in personality who needs to know? Just train him, you’ve worked enough to bring him over, it cannot be harder to make him into a leader,” the prince whispered, only to sigh as Minho shook his head.

“He will need to go home one day,” he said, looking down, “He won’t want to stay forever.”

Onew sighed at this, standing once again and walking to Minho’s side, placing a hand on the man’s shoulder. “Are you sure? I’ve been wandering his mind, he hates his home. He is fond of our world and of you, he doesn’t want to leave it behind,” he explained before squeezing Minho’s shoulder tighter, the man wincing as he tried to pull free, “But if I am forced to witness this boy’s death, if I have to feel his pain, his confusion, the utter sadness that will blacken his soul, I will kill you the moment I take over. Jinki is my kin,” he hissed a second before Minho shot up in his bed, pillow wet with his sweat, heart pounding in his chest as every part of his being burned, the fire roaring in the pit across from the bed, Jinki still sleeping beside him.