Chapter 1

Other Side of the Mirror

A small sigh escaped Jinki as he was placed on the bed, head falling down onto the soft pillows that had been placed there that morning, barely noticing when the usual comforter was pulled up over his legs. His eyes were focused on the window, not wanting to acknowledge the nurses as they fretted over him, asking him if the pillows were soft enough or if the blanket was making him too warm. He kept quiet, the two women slipping out of the room quickly once they realized that they were no longer wanted, closing the door behind themselves quietly before walking downstairs to report to the male's parents. His lips twitched downwards into a frown, he knew his parents refused to come upstairs, as though whatever disease was ravaging his body was contagious, which the doctors had assured them it wasn’t. They kept up the act when they were in public, the doting parents who were oh so worried about their little boy. But he knew deep down that they weren’t. No one cared, they paid the bills, hired nurses to care for him in house and ensured that he had food and water. Aside from that it was as though he had died as a young child, no new pictures of him on the walls, no visits from his mother or father, he was locked up in his room at the top of the stairs so they could act as though he didn’t exist, as had become the norm within their family.

Once he was sure that the women weren’t sat outside his door gossiping he reached down to toss off the blanket, body aching and protesting at the movements, spine screaming at the slight curve of his body. Jinki didn’t care though, he was used to the discomfort, and he wondered idly if a day with no pain would seem abnormal to him. Since he had gotten sick, about seven years ago, he had lost weight, ribs glaring through his skin, each one it’s own mountain line against his sickly gray skin. Nails a disgusting yellow thanks to the many deficiencies that plagued him.He hated his body, himself and his life in general, a scowl finally completely forming on his face as he forced his legs over the edge of the bed, heaving as he lifted his body weight, barely managing to brace himself against the wall, fingers splayed carefully so that it was easier for him to shuffle along the expanse of the room. Making his way to the dresser before falling forward, bracing himself on his elbows for a moment as he breathed in deeply.

Despite the fact that his body was decaying his mind hadn’t, curiosity still as powerful as when he was a child, urging him forward, fingers curled around the edge of his dresser as he dragged himself towards the thin string that dangled from the ceiling with a wooden sphere tied to the end. Trembling fingers reached out, grasping it and jerking downwards, one of the actions that was easiest to him, his body just far enough away to miss the ladder that tumbled down along with the small square hinge in the ceiling.

He scrambled up the steps as best he could before slumping down on the thin plywood floor of the attic, taking a moment to catch his breath. While he knew that having his room be the same one as the entrance to the attic should be a negative aspect of his life, figuring that his parents were simply tucking him away with the other useless objects that had acquired over the years, but he loved it. Once he was calm again the male was able to turn and  grab the first step of the ladder and pull the hinge closed, the small night light he had popped in to the outlet sensing the dark and flickering on as the young adult clambered towards the towers of boxes that sat by the corner of the alcove. Each cardboard face having his grandfather's name scribbled on the edge in his father's horrible handwriting. And while even the sight of the man's lettering had bitterness stir in his stomach he was still excited, the time he spent flipping through the journals and sorting through the strange artifacts was like a vacation to him. He wished the man had lived long enough to raise him alongside his parents, showering his life and adolescence with stories of his life and adventures.

With a shake of his head Jinki turned and grabbed the closest box, tugging it towards himself with great effort, brushing off the dust before opening it and beginning to sort through the items within it, not noticing the sheet that had been tugged along with the box, exposing the corner of a standing mirror, instead the male ran his fingers along a decorative silver box, turning it onto its side and rolling his eyes when he saw the lock that was built into it, curious as to weather or not the key was around somewhere. It took him a moment before he decided to grab the next box and pulling it closer as well, opening it and plucking up the pad of papers that were covered in sketches of men and women in a fantastical landscape, a world of fantasies exploding on the pages. It was enough to distract him from his search for the key, breathing in deeply once he had reached the end, carefully placing the papers back into the box before plucking up a small tin and turning it over in his hands a few times, doing his best to pull the lid off only to groan when his muscles, the ones that had stayed, failed him, causing him to groan and let the tin fall back into the box, grunting as he pushed the box away from him, yelping when the cloth was finally torn down from the mirror, landing on his head and causing him to sputter as a cloud of dust was trapped beneath the sheet as well. He tore it off of himself, glaring at it when it crumpled in on itself once it landed on the floor, taking a moment before glancing up at the mirror that had tilted forward haphazardly with the sudden motion, reaching up to push it back into place before sighing heavily at his reflection, fingers sliding down from their current position against the glass to trace the bags under his reflections eyes, fluttering down to his chapped lips before letting his tongue dart out in an attempt to fix the problem.

He idly remembered a story his mother had told him when he was younger, wondering if there was any truth to it, if his dreams truly did slip off to another world, “Are you in there?’ He whispered as though they were real and would hear him, tears stinging the back of his eyes as he swallowed thickly and glanced down at his lap. He had dreams at one point in his life, goals and a life he wanted to live, “Can’t you come back? I- I really miss having hope for- well, for anything,” he breathed out before shaking his head and closing his eyes. He probably looked idiotic if not insane, talking to his reflection, tears threatening to break free from their barricade and run free down his cheeks. “You’re an idiot Lee Jinki,” he hissed out, eyes peeking open to steal another glance at the mirror, fingers streaking the surface as he let them slide back down, hand falling onto his lap as he slowly raised himself onto his knees and grasped the edges of the sheet to shake off the dust, arms aching with the effort.

“Away you go,” he whispered as he breathed heavily through his nose and tossed the cloth back over the mirror, struggling to hold back his tears only to cry out once again when he heard a quiet voice call out to him. “Hey, it’s dark now!” It called, Jinki glancing around in alarm, letting his body fall back down to sit on his calves again.

“Who’s there?” He whispered in fear, eyes wide as he heard a muffled response, the sheet shaking for a moment, causing him to in a audible breath as he grabbed the edge and tugged it aside to peek at the mirror’s surface once again only to finally cry out when he spied an unfamiliar face staring back out at him. His body propelled itself backward in surprise, slamming into the boxes that only somewhat cushioned the blow to his fragile bones and muscles, “Oh my god,” he hissed out a few times before reaching forward with a trembling hand to tear down the sheet once more, letting it fall as he waited, expecting to see nothing but his own reflection because he had to have been seeing things.

“Well, thanks?” The man asked when he was exposed to the room once again, tears pricking Jinki’s eyes once again as he covered his mouth. “Are you alright Jinki?” He asked, leaning forward, or at least it seemed that is what he did.

“Oh my god-” he repeated, “I’m crazy, I’m seeing things,” he whispered as his chest began to rise and fall at an alarming rate, “I’m crazy, aren’t I?” he asked as his eyes dashed downwards to take in the man’s appearance, trying to process the entire situation. His clothing was odd, a white shirt covering the expanse of his chest though the sleeves were a little wider, allowing them to puff up just slightly around the wrists of the stranger, tucked into his black pants that seemed to be littered with buttons, though he couldn’t see anything else from there downwards, the chains that littered the others neck hitting one another as the man laughed and shook his head.

“Crazy? While that does sound, well, interesting I guess, I have to inform you that your mind is still working just fine.”He said, dark hair contrasting his bright grin, “I’m Minho by the way, I’m here to grant a wish or two.”

"Grant my wishes?" Jinki laughed, the sound high pitched and nearly hysterical, the man’s image frowned and shifted its stance. "How can someone inside a mirror grant wishes? How can someone be in a mirror in the first place?" Jinki rambled, unable to gain control of his breathing still, no matter how he tried.

“Relax, let me try to explain,” the man, Minho he said his name was, began, holding up his hands, palms outward as though to calm Jinki who was still trying to grasp the fact that he was going insane.

“Explain? You can explain this?” He asked, “Then by all means, please do,” he huffed out as he stressed his words. Figuring that he mind as well amuse himself before mourning his sanity, which had finally died along with many other parts of him.

Minho simply raised his brows, watching the other for an extra moment to make sure he wasn’t likely to break down within the next few seconds. “To begin, I guess I should ask if you know what mirrors actually are?” He asked, reaching out to place his hand against the inside (Jinki was unsure how to process what he was seeing) of the mirror, “They’re like portals to another world, your world is just a reflection to me, everything is backwards,” he smirked at Jinki’s eye roll not allowing himself to be phased by it. “Everything is opposite, where you have science we have, what you would call, magic, where you are advanced we are, well, falling behind.”

He took a pause there, giving Jinki a moment to chime in, unable to disguise his disbelief. “So, I'm supposed to believe that on the other side of this there is a whole other world?" Jinki asked brow raised when the other nodded earnestly. "And that somehow the mirror let’s me, some random guy, see you from this other magical world?"

"Yes, well in a way, it's really simple, actually," Minho sighed, shifting just slightly, "My goal is to grant your wishes. Even though it might take a while, it's what I'm supposed to do."

The sick male watched the other, leaning in and placing his hand over Minho's biting down on his bottom lip when he only felt the glass under his palm.

"And why is that? Why would that be something you're supposed to do?" He asked with a small frown, wondering why of all things this boy had to do was to watch him and grant his wishes.

He was sure there were much better things he could be using his energy on, as anything regarding Jinki was deemed as a waste to himself. However, the mans sigh dragged his attention back to the odd figure, “There are certain things that I cannot disclose, just yet at least, so just tell me and I’ll make sure you get what you wish.” Minho finished, offering a wry smile.

Jinki watched the mirror, his frown deepening, nearly carved into his flesh at that point, mind spinning as he did his best to place each word into a faint reality that he was assured of. He wanted to turn around, to crawl back into his warm bed until the nurses would force him up to eat. And he could, the other wasn’t real, there was nothing to stop him, but there was a feeling deep in his chest that pleaded with him to stay. His mind screaming that if he was going crazy there was no point not to enjoy it, who cared if it meant that his sickness was getting worse, at least he had someone to talk to now.

“So, what will it be?” Minho asked, watching as Jinki leaned forward, the pale man shifting his weight from his left to his right before biting down on his bottom lip and whispering his deepest wish. He didn’t want to be healthy again, he didn’t want his mothers fake love given back, nor his fathers forced dreams. “I just want to be strong enough to walk again, to care for myself, even if just for a little bit.” He whispered, sick of having to brace himself against walls and whatever was placed around him and his room. He was sick of feeling like a burden, wanting to laugh, to leave the house and thrive with the sun beating down on his face. That was all he wanted, to be the person who had had once known.

“Strength? That’s it?” Minho asked, shrugging in response to the meek nod he received, “That’s fine, I’m not sure how long I can hold that but I will do my best,” he said, his bottom lip between his teeth as Jinki watched him carefully, “I have to go,” he mumbled, glancing behind himself at something that Jinki couldn’t see. “Go sleep, when you wake up you’ll have your wish,” Minho said before grinning wide and turning to leave, the image fading before Jinki could respond.

Slowly the male nodded to the empty room, turning way to stumble back to his bed, doing his best not to get his hopes up, after all a delusion couldn’t change reality, not matter how he wished it could. Once he reached his bed the male turned and laid on his back, pulling the blankets over himself, closing his eyes tightly as he tried to keep his heart the size it had been for years, stop it from swelling with hopes and dreams, he just wanted to be less of a burden. He wanted it to be real, more than he had wanted anything in such a long time. He didn’t care if he was still crazy, if only he could push himself into a delusion where he felt stronger than he was. Even if he would break down eventually, the hope he could hold would heal him as the sickness reached its end and laid Jinki in his final bed.

The teen groaned before forcing the thoughts from his mind, breathing in deeply and easing himself into a world of dreams.

 


When the morning finally came Jinki shifted, lips parting in a yawn, taking a moment to stretch his body carefully as he did every morning. The nurses already in his room, breakfast placed on his bedside table as they hurried about picking an outfit for him, silent as always, only acknowledging him enough to remove his blanket and reach out to help him up. The movements being enough to rouse him from his half asleep state, remembering the images and words from the night before, the promise that had been made to him.

He assumed it was time to see if it had all just been a dream or a hallucination and slowly he reached up, placing a hand on the nurses shoulder, signalling for her to leave him be, which she did, taking a step back and watching him in confusion, obviously a little irritated by him stopping her. Though her lips twitched up in a little smirk as Jinki moved his legs off of the bed, watching as his feet hit the ground, the same sensations running up along his muscles, dead weight, the muscles having given up.

The nurse seemed satisfied, watching as his sickness and reality slapped Jinki in the face once again, though his hopes had been dashed he didn’t want to feel her hands on him and instead shot the woman a glare as he forced himself up, leaning against his dresser before stumbling to the bathroom adjoined to his room. Wanting to feel somewhat independent as he tried to hold his body up, slamming the door behind him with all the strength he could muster before sinking down onto the tiled floor.

He had been stupid to hope, he knew that much, but he still had bothered to, the pain he felt only being a reminder that he had no right to dream. Jinki’s eyes fluttered down to his toes as he thought, curling them slowly, running his gaze up along his leg, doing his best to move it as he did so, only to be shocked as it did what he wanted without much of a strain. With a sudden urgency, he shifted onto his knees with ease, palm pressed against the cold ground before leaving it as the male stood, his body aching due to the sudden energy with which Jinki was moving. “Oh my god,” he whispered, looking into the mirror before raising his left arm above his head, stretching his fingertips as high as they would go before letting out a laugh. Right hand immediately slamming to his lips to stifle the noise, tears of joy coming to his eyes as he tried to in a breath through his nose. It was real, he could move with ease, his body wasn’t complaining as much as he got the blood rushing as it used to.

With a swift spin, the male grabbed the door and jerked it open, both women letting out a sharp gasp, having been startled by him. “Get my mother!” He ordered, the younger nurse who had been stopped by him earlier seemed irritated to be getting sudden orders from a male who had before ignored her, but she went anyway with the older woman following behind her.

He followed their path, opening the door wide before turning to leap onto his bed, groaning at the soft comforter as it embraced him, still laughing with relief and joy when his mother walked in the room. Her heels snapping against the wooden floor, and when Jinki turned to face her the expression she held was obvious confusion, her son having never asked for her before, which was likely the only reason she had made her way up the stairs. “Jinki, you wanted me?” She asked, delicate brow raised only to step back suddenly when her son stood up and beamed.

“I- I’ feeling better Ma,” he said with a laugh before walking towards her and reached out to motion for a hug, though he was unsure of how he felt about the woman the child within him was craving affection and she obliged, wrapping her arms around the other before shaking her head in disbelief. “I can move, hell, I feel like I could run a marathon!” He breathed out as she stepped back and clicked her tongue.

“Easily? The doctors told you not to stress your body, she reminded him only to let out a noise of surprise when he nodded and turned to practically run to his desk, “Jinki-” She whispered only to breathe in deeply when he sorted through the many papers from the doctors, “Oh Jinki, you are getting better it seems,” she finally mumbled voice strained, tears came to her eyes and the look she held within him was nothing but affection.”Get ready, we have to go to the doctors, we have to find out what this is! I’m- I’ll be downstairs waiting.” She said quickly before shaking his head and rushing down, calling his father's name, and for the first time in years Jinki swore he could hear the happiness in her voice.  

 


It was late by the time he returned to his room, closing and locking the door behind him before biting his lip and walking to the familiar string, grabbing it and tugging it down easily. Climbing up, movements more hesitant than they had been the night before, despite the fact that Jinki felt much better. His fingers were trembling as he made his way to the mirror, reaching out cautiously to poke the glass. “Minho?” He called, voice barely above a whisper as he waited to see if he would appear.

A sigh of disappointment escaped him when no image appeared, for some reason he craved the others presence, “Come on,” he said before letting out a small squeak when the male appeared, no gradual fading in happening, and it startled him more than he would like to admit, though Minho’s words had him grinning from ear to ear, “Did it work?”

“Yeah! It… It really did,” he said before seating himself in front of the mirror once again, legs crossed and fingers playing with the hem of his jeans. “I can walk and run and do everything that I needed help with before, and my doctors are so confused,” he said with a laugh, glancing back up at the man who seemed to be smiling down at him with pride. “I mean, my blood tests are the same and so are my organs apparently but I’m still so happy. Thank you,” he whispered before leaning back against the boxes carefully, not noticing how the others smile wavered for a moment.

“I told you, that is what I am here to do, there is no need to thank me.” he said as he finally sat down as well.

“If that’s what you say, I’m still grateful though,” Jinki whispered before his brows furrowed, thinking of the many questions that had been butting their way into his head all day. “So, will it wear off? If so then, when?”

"Don't worry about that Jinki, it'll last for a while," Minho said with a wave of his hand before smirking and leaning in, closer to the glass plane that both connected them and separated them. “So, what’s the wish for today?” He asked.

"For today? You mean I get one each day?" Jinki sputtered, watching as the other male laughed and nodded.

“As long as I can grant it then yes, one a day.” He said, “I am only here to do that after all,” He added with a laugh as Jinki smiled in response.

“Then I wish for…” He trailed off, not wanting to feel too needy or demanding, he had asked for something so big and life changing that he was scared to ask for much more. “I wish for a friend again, for you to be my friend I guess,” he said, glancing at the other males face, having to stop himself from laughing at how his eyes grew to comical sizes. With a snort he leaned forward and tapped the glass, “Are you okay?”

“Yeah! I, uh, I’m fine.” He said before shaking his head and laughing before glancing down at his lap, “Are you sure that’s what you want? I mean, I can do it but it doesn’t exactly need much-” he said before getting cut off by Jinki’s firm yes. “Alright, then I guess we’re friends?”

“Yes,” Jinki repeated, voice soft and happy as he leaned back and moved into a more comfortable position. “You’re my first friend in such a long time,” he commented, obviously shy at the sudden shift in the atmosphere.

“You’re my first friend at all,” Minho responded before shrugging and cocking his head to the side, scratching at the nape of his neck, “I’m not exactly sure to how to treat a friend but I’ll do my best.”

A small laugh escaped Jinki as he took note of the fact that the other had him smiling easily without doing much, “Let’s start with just talking, tell me about yourself, since you know everything about me.” He said, eager to hear what the other was like.

The others face darkened just a bit as he pulled his legs to his chest and nodded, “I’m Minho and I guess I’m important to this world that I’m stuck in, I like weird things like frogs, a lot, and I don’t like thinking. Done.” He said dryly, causing Jinki to roll his eyes.

“That .”

“As if you could do better!” Minho scoffed, “It’s not easy to talk about yourself, and there’s nothing you even need to know.” He defended only to snicker when the other leaned in and pressed his nose to the mirror.

“I can and I will, just listen and be jealous of my skills,” he joked, “My name is Lee Jinki, when I was little I loved to get nicknames, and I hate when people touch me. I love chicken, especially fried chicken but grilled is okay.” He said, making a face that showed it was actually anything but okay. “I like the color green and I am really interested in everything in here, this room I’m in I mean, I’ve lived here since I was a kid. The city of Seoul. And there’s no major here but we have some cool stuff, like cellphones, I should be in school right now but I am too sick to go and yeah- that it enough to prove you wrong.” Jinki finished before smirking and leaning back.

“So what, you like talking about yourself,” he muttered as Jinki only smiled wider and nodded, only to jump when Minho suddenly jerked around and groaned, “I need to go, but I’ll be back tomorrow whenever you call me,” he said before smiling and tapping the mirror on his side, “Be safe.” He added before fading from his sight once again.