2

Something About Him

I walked home thinking about what I had just found out earlier back at work. It was his wallet. I don't know why, but I feel slightly excited about seeing this man, or I mean Daehyun, again. Hyejin told me that I should keep the wallet myself because I was the only one who could recognize him if he ever came back to the cafe again. Her letting me hold onto it, was probably a bad idea of hers.

I approached my doorstep and grabbed my house key from my bag. I walked into our dark living room and almost tripped on the rug. I searched for the light switch and made my way to my room. I laid my bag on my desk and fell flat on my bed. My stomach growled in hunger, but I felt too lazy to go back downstairs to eat. Today has been such a long and quite confusing day and all I wanted to do was sleep and enter the dreamland and escape reality. Once I took a shower, I changed into my pajamas and quickly went straight to bed. I sighed as I finally closed my eyes. 

10:01pm

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Ring!

"Ugh......"

Ring!

I opened my eyes and was immediately blinded  by the sunlight that shined through my window.

Ring!

What is that noise? I searched under my blanket, trying to find where the noise was coming from, the sound led to my phone and I checked the screen.

 

Kim Hyejin 10 missed calls

Kim Hyejin 20 messages

 

I don't even have work today. Why is she calling me? If she was trying to contanct me this much, then it must be something important. Out of curiousity, I called back Hyejin. I was surprised how fast she picked up.

"Where are you??!?"

"Is that always the first thing you say to me when I call?" I joked.

"I'm not kidding, Kalena. Where are you?"

I paused, taken aback by her serious tone. "I'm home. What's so important that you had to call me 10 times?"

"We found the owner of the wallet."

Frozen by her words. I hesitated to reply.

"W-What?"

"He came by the cafe today and asked for the wallet, but we told him that you had it."

"What did..he say?"

"Well...he said he was in a rush, so he gave us his number and call him."

"So..now what..?"

"Call him."

"Okay..well...you call him and tell me how it goes-"

"You call him."

"I'm not gonna call him! Can't I just give the wallet to someone else and he can take it from them?"

"Kalena!" Hyejin exclaimed.

"Okay! Okay! Fine...I'll call him. But..wait..how do I give it to him?"

"Just tell him to come by the cafe today."\

"Today? W-What do you mean today? Can't it be when I'm on shift?"

"Kalena..."

I sighed as I replied back. "Okay..I'll call him. Give me his number."

Hyejin gave me his number and we both hung up. I grabbed the little piece of paper where I wrote down his number, and held it up next to my phone. I dialed the number down and slowly brought my phone up to my ear. It ringed about three times before I decided to hang up, thinking he wouldn't answer, until he did.

"Hello?" There it was. That Busan accent that I recognized.

"H..Hello..um is this Jung Daehyun?" I asked a question already knowing the answer.

"Yes. Who's this?" His voice sounded calming and soft. Almost sleepy as if he just woke up.

"Uh..I'm one of the workers from Bau House Cafe. Y-You said you left your wallet and I'm just calling you, if you could come by and pick it up."

"Ah..I came by earlier to pick it up, but they said you weren't there. I'll be on my way."

"Okay.." Almost hanging up, I heard him speak again.

"By the way..may I know your name? Just so I know who to ask for when I get there.."

"Oh..my name is Kalena."

"Kalena.." The sound of his voice saying my name sent chills down my spine.

"Thank you. I'll be right there."

We both hung up and I hurriedly made my way to the bathroom. I washed my face and brushed my teeth. I stared at my closet, wondering what to wear. I shouldn't be all dressed up, I mean he's jst going to pick up his wallet. wait. Why should I care what to wear? I'm just stopping by to give him his wallet and leave as well. Okay..okay. I'll just go for something comfortable.

As soon as I got dressed, I went staight out the door. I walked to my work in anticipationg of how this situation would go.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

I arrived at my work and immediately walked to the back of the counter.

"There you are!" Hyejin said as I bumped into her.

"Is he here?"

"Yeah..he's sitting right over there."

I looked over to where she pointed and started walking in his direction. Daehyun was wearing a black button up shirt along with a black beanie. I slowly walked up to his table and spoke.

"Excuse me...Mr. Jung..?"

"Ahh it's you."

Me?..How do you..-"

"I recognized your voice." He smiled at me.

I shyly looked down at the ground and remembered why he was here.

"I believe this is yours."

"Thank you for keeping it. It's nice to know it was safe with you." He smiled again.

There was a silence between us until Daehyun spoke again.

"Well I should get going. I have a pretty busy day ahead of me."

"Oh yeah..uh me too."

Daehyun slowly got up from his seat and searched for his wallet again until he found it in his chair.

"Uh..Haha..better not forget this again." He held up his wallet in the air as he chuckled.

I watched him walk out the door until he was out of sight. I didn't notice how fast my heart was feeling until he left. Why was I feeling like this? I've never felt like this before. This feeling was all too new.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The thought of going to work today made me want to roll myself up in my bed covers and never stand up. There will never be one day, where I would actually be excited for work. I got myself dressed up for work and headed to work. Once I got there, Hyejin told me I was doing orders. I grabbed an apron and a notepad and walked to the first table.

"Hello sir. What would you like?"

"For you to sit down and have a conversation with me."

"I-I'm sorry?"

"Oh my apologies miss."

The man pulled down the menu from his face and revealed his identity.

"D-Daehyun..?"

He smiled at me and spoke.

"So you remember my name..huh?"

"...I.."

"Well..I still remember yours. Kalena, isn't it?"

I slowly nodded my head and refocused my attention back on the notepad.

"So..um what would you like?"

"I was being serious, you know."

"But Daehyun, I'm still working."

"When's your break?"

I checked my watch. "Like...in an hour."

"Take it now."

"W-What?"

"I said take it now..your break."

"But-"

He cut me off. "Okay..how about this. I'll order something and wait until you're on your break.

"You're gonna sit here...for an hour?"

"That's right." He smiled.

"Okay..so then what would you like?"

"I'll have a latte, please."

After I gave Daehyun his drink, I continued on with my work. Every so and then I would glance over at him to see what he was doing. Most of the time, he would stare at his phone or just stare out the window. I saw Daehyun yawn a little which made me feel bad that he was waiting for me. After an hour passed, I looked over his table and saw he wasn't there. I walked over to the direction and saw his chair empty. All that was left, was his empty cup from the latte. Then I slowly sat down in his chair and sighed.

"Were you looking for me?"

I quickly turned my head to the sound of the voice and settled my eyes on Daehyun as he was smiling at me.

"I thought you left." I said in a low voice. 

"Why would I leave?"

"I..don't know.."

He sat in the chair across of me.

"So..Kalena, how long have you been working here?"

"Here?..for maybe about a year, I guess. Do you work?"

"No. I would like to, but I don't think having a job would fit anywhere in my schedule."

"Schedule?"

"Vocal training.."

"You..sing? You don't look like the type who would.."

"What type do I look like?"

"I dont know..not the singing type..?" I softly mumbled. 

Daehyun softly chuckled at my words. From then on, our continued non-stop. The hours went by and I found myself already nearing closing time. I was surprised nobody noticed I wasn't taking orders. Luckily, on Thursday we have more people on shift so it didn't slow down business.

Sitting down with Daehyun and having a conversation with him started become a regular thing every time I came to work. It was the first time, I finally felt excited about going to work. Daehyun would always have soemthing to talk about when we saw each other. I learned that he was indeed very talkative, but I honestly didn't mind. I loved talking to Daehyun. Talking to him was the only thing I looked forward to when going to work. As weeks passed, both of us started to become more comfortable with each other.

As for me individually, the attraction I felt for Daehyun started to change into something else. I couldn't quite figure what it was. Every time I was with Daehyun, I felt...happy. And I didn't want that feeling to go away anytime soon.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

A/N:

I hope you guys liked it! Im sorry update took so long. Some of you probably might be disappointed on how bad the chapter was and how the long the wait was. Again, Im sorry!! >.< So I decided this whole story will probably be up to 4-5 chapters. Dont want to make it long soooo yeah and thats it! Please anticipate the next chapter ;;;---))))

-Katrina<33