The Sea, the Boat, and the Dolphin

The Great Disguise [HIATUS]

 

The Great Disguise [HSJ Fanfic]

Chapter 17

The Sea, the Boat, and the Dolphin

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“Can I have a request? This is part of your payment through good deeds”

 

“What?”

 

“Just leave this on and place it in front of you. Don’t turn it off. That’s the rule.”

 

Left with no choice, I agreed.

 

I was reading a book and he was still looking. It was awkward.

 

I can feel the weight on my eyelids and without noticing it, I fell asleep…

 

A trip to dreamland again…

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Then, my alarm clock suddenly rang!

 

I opened my eyes and the first thing I saw was Nakajima’s face!

 

He was smiling at me and said, “Good morning!”

 

I suddenly remembered everything that happened last night…

 

Oh my. I just can’t believe that I slept in front of the phone!

 

In a panic mode, I asked him, “Have you been watching the whole time?!”

 

He just grinned and said, “Eh, I really can’t remember, and if I could, it’ll be my secret. See ya later, Sawako.”

 

 

I hope he wasn’t watching me the whole time. It’s so embarrassing when I think of it.

 

I set aside all of my emotions and changed into my uniform. I went outside and prepared breakfast. It was my turn this day.

 

Nakajima went down the stairs and threw a funny look on me. I just rolled my eyes on him.

 

We ate breakfast together. It was very silent at first, but he started the conversation.

 

In his usual husky voice, he asked, “Had a good night sleep?”

 

With a melancholic hint in my voice, I said, “Well, maybe.”

 

He asked me, “Is there anything wrong?”

 

In a reluctant voice, I replied, “Nothing really. It was just a dream…”

 

He told me, “Can you tell me about it?”

 

After chewing my pancakes, I said, “It’s about my mother.”

 

“What about it?”

 

“I dreamt that she came here. There were other things that happened, but I forgot all about them.”

 

With a reassuring smile, Yuto said, “Don’t worry, everything’s going to be okay.”

 

Before eating my last slice of pancake, I told him, “You know, honestly, I want to see my mother even only once…”

 

Yuto didn’t say anything. but his facial expression told me that he is somehow concerned.

 

 

After eating our breakfast, I headed out to walk. He started the engine of his car. He asked me, “Where are you going?”

 

I told him, “School of course.”

 

He chuckled and said, “It is Sunday today. There’s no school.”

 

I looked at myself. I am dressed in my school uniform. This explains the funny look he gave me during dinner.

 

I reasoned out to him, “Sorry, I have to go somewhere.”

 

He said, “I’ll get you there.”

 

 

Left with no choice once more, I got into his car.

 

I was very silent. He seems to notice it.

 

He asked me, “Still thinking about the dream?”

 

Releasing a deep sigh, I said, “Unfortunately, yes.”

 

Driving going to another way, he said, “Maybe this will help you clear your mind...”

 

 

We went to a wharf. It was very windy. He told me, “Watching the sea might help you calm down.”

 

I asked him, “Why did you bring me here?”

 

While looking out at the sky, he said, “I know you have nowhere to go…”

 

And he was right…

 

 

I looked at the clear blue waters and watched the sea birds fly. He was true. This place really calms me.

 

He suddenly blurted out, “You have seen nothing yet…”

 

He held my hand and pulled me with him. We went down the dock and walked along the rocky path.

 

After a few minutes, we reached a ship. He declared, “Welcome aboard!”

 

I was amazed. I didn’t expect that a boat would be lying around this place.

 

I asked him, “How did you find this place?”

 

He replied, “This is my mom and dad’s. They had this during this during their teenage years. This explains its old age.”

 

Even though it was old, it was very beautiful. It was not that grand, but it had an aura that lets the people on it relax.

 

With his hair being blown by the wind, he told me, “This is my secret place. My parents gave it to me. As of now, you’re the only one who knows about this place.”

 

I asked him, “Not even your friends?”

 

While setting things up, he said, “Yes. I always go here when I want to be alone, when I’m angry, when I’m sad, or sometimes when I just feel it.”

 

 

I was fixated looking at the water. I didn’t notice that the boat was already moving. It was too late! We were quite far from the land now!

 

I exclaimed, “W-wait! Are you sure you know how to drive this thing?”

 

He did a salute and told me, “Four years of experience ma’am!”

 

So he’s doing these for four years already. What can this guy unable to do?

 

 

The ocean breeze was really pleasant. The weather was perfect. The view of Yuto on the boat’s steering wheel was quite new to me.

 

I can hear the gushing of the water. I can hear the sounds of the birds. Suddenly, a dolphin jumped out. I looked at it excitedly.

 

The boat stopped. We are now in the middle of the sea.

 

Yuto went down and sat at the boat’s side. He dipped his legs and said, “The water feels good!”

 

I removed my shoes and my socks and followed him there.

 

He asked me, “Do you want to see that dolphin again?”

 

I nodded.

 

He whistled in a certain manner. After a few minutes, the dolphin jumped in front of us!

 

It was amazing. I looked at it in awe.

 

The dolphin came to us. It sprinkled water to us using its mouth.

 

I said, “It seems to be used to people. I wonder if it’s trained.”

 

While holding the dolphins head, he said, “His caretaker said that he escaped from the zoo. By the way, his name is Flipper.”

 

In a surprised tone, I asked him, “You know this dolphin?”

 

He smiled and said, “Yes. I visit this place often. He got accustomed to me.”

 

I really wonder what this guy in front of me cannot do. Drive a boat, call dolphins, I mean, for an eighteen year old guy, it’s too much.

 

 

Then, another boat came.

 

Yuto said, “It’s Masahiro-san, Flipper’s caretaker.”

 

A man in his early forties arrived. As he saw us, he said, “Yuto-kun, it’s been a while!”

 

Nakajima smiled and said, “Ohayou, Masahiro-san!”

 

The man looked at me. He said, “This time, you’re not alone eh?”

 

Yuto introduced me to him. He said, “This is Hayashi Sawako.”

 

I looked at Masahiro-san and bowed. I said, “Yoroshiku.”

 

Masahiro-san said, “It’s my first time seeing you with someone here. You’re usually alone…”

 

Yuto just smiled. I distracted myself by playing with Flipper.

 

Masahiro-san said to me, “Flipper seems to like you.”

 

I just smiled and stood up. Masahiro-san gave Flipper his food.

 

The way Flipper leaped to get his food was so beautiful. He was so graceful as if the waves are in his command.

 

 

We ate seafood and enjoyed the day. We didn’t notice that it was already afternoon. We bade goodbye to Masahiro-san and Flipper.

 

The trip to the ocean made me happy. It did make me forget all my worries.

 

My partly wet clothes got dried because of the warm ocean breeze. I was very full because of the fresh seafood we grilled with Masahiro-san. The sound of the ocean was very quiet and the seabirds were not present. Still, I feel very good. Yuto was singing as he was driving the boat. The name of the song was “Konayuki” He sounded good as if he were the replacement of the sea birds’ sound.

 


Konayuki

The season of dancing,
powdered snow always passes us by
even lost in the crowd,
we're gazing at the same sky
the blowing wind chills us in a similar way


I probably don't know everything about you
yet, out of a hundred million people I found you
and though there is no basis,
I seriously feel this
without quarreling over trivial things
we can't be together


If we're unable to be honest with each other,
happiness and sadness are worthless
if the powdered snow has dyed our hearts white
could we have shared our loneliness?


with my ear pressed up close to your heart
I want to descend quietly into the depths
where its voice leads me
let's meet there once again


I had wanted us to understand each other
but it was I who had just brushed the surface
even though,
just tightly grasping your hand numb with cold


we were connected
before eternity,
the powdered snow is too fragile(falling down)
it stains the surface of the coarse asphault
powdered snow, you know,
sometimes I'm unreliable and my heart quivers
nevertheless,


I want to continue to protect you
if the powdered snow has dyed our hearts white
our loneliness will be engulfed
and be returned to the sky

~~~

We reached the wharf again. I felt as if I didn’t want the moment to end. It was a moment when I didn’t think anything of my problems. I felt like myself. I was free from pretending. There were no lies, no disguises, just the real me.

 

 

We went down from the boat and walked along the rocky paths and into his car. I can still feel motion sickness, but I’m okay.

 

We were silent as we went going home, but happiness and peace were surely on our hearts.

 

We went out of the car as we reach the house. Yuto was going inside the house. I called out to him.

 

“Nakajima!”

 

He looked at me.

 

I bowed down and said, “Arigato Gozaimasu!”

 

I looked up again. He was smiling. He pouted and said, “Don’t get full of yourself; I didn’t do it for you.”

 

My eyebrows met and said, “I know!”

 

He laughed at me and said, “Just joking!” He disarranged my hair and went inside the house.

 

 

I really felt happy and this must be one of the best days of my life.

 

I went inside the house and went up to my room. My phone rang. It had a message that says…

“I hope you had fun.”

 

It was from Nakajima.

 

I just replied to him a smiley face and changed my clothes.

 

I decided to continue reading the book I was reading last night. I was so engrossed in reading the book that I didn’t notice the time. It was almost night time.

 

I went downstairs. It was my turn in cooking dinner.

 

Suddenly, the home phone rang. Nakajima answered it.

 

He looked at me. He said, “Hayashi, it’s for you.”

 

I was puzzled. Who would call me in the phone?

I answered. It was Mika.

 

“Sawako! I need you to come with me!!”

 

“Where?”

 

“SiWan onii is inviting me to dinner! He said I’ll bring my closest friends. My parents would be there too.”

 

“Wait a minute, I’ll tell Nakajima.”

 

I looked at Yuto and said, “Hey, Nakajima. I won’t be eating here.”

 

He said, “Me either. SiWan invited me to have dinner in his house.”

 

I told Mika, “Nakajima will be going too.”

 

Mika said, “That’s good! See you later then!”

 

Nakajima went upstairs; maybe he’s going to get dressed.

 

On the other hand, I went to my room to find something decent. Maybe the party was not a formal one, as Mika didn’t say anything like that. I guess it doesn’t require one to wear a dress.

 

I settled on wearing jeans and a white blouse. I wore sneakers and wore a white headband.

 

I went outside of my room and Yuto was already there. He was wearing something really decent.

 

As he looked at me, he said, “You’re not going to the mall alright?”

 

He went near me and said, “Wait right there.”

 

The dinner party really requires one to be formal after all…

 

 

After a few minutes, he came back bringing a paper bag. He said, “Wear that.”

 

I went to my room once more. It was a very pretty white dress. It came with white heels and a silver hairpin.

 

I didn’t look at myself in the mirror and went outside.

 

I asked, “Do I look fine?”

 

He said, “Uhmm, You l-l-look…fine. Yeah, you look fine.”

 

He seem to look at the floor after that. I wonder what was wrong.

 

We went down the stairs and drove to SiWan-san’s home.

 

I wonder what will happen in there…

 

To be continued…

 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Author’s Note:

 

That’s chapter 17 for ya~ :DD

As I read the title of the chapter again, it sounded like. “The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe”. LOL! XD

If you want to leave some comments, suggestions, criticisms, or whatsoever, please leave them in the comment box!

I hope you liked this chapter! Please look forward to Chapter 18! ^_^

Thank you for patiently waiting! ^_^

 

SORRY FOR THE GRAMMATICAL ERRORS!

 

Disclaimer:

I do not own HEY SAY JUMP.

I also do not own the song “Konayuki.”