1

Common Ground

A ray of sunlight slipped through the curtains, illuminating the dim kitchen. Dara sat alone; her cocoa colored strands covered the right side of her face, as she listened to the thick silence choking her surroundings. A loud thud from the room above echoed throughout the peaceful hallways and she flinched in response – fast approaching footsteps resounded through the dreary house momentarily. She sat still – unmoving, as if one slight movement could cause her death.

 

“Dara,” Bom entered the kitchen as she called out, her hands inside her leather jacket and her head slightly tilted as she looked down at Dara. Dara could feel the iciness of her sister’s voice pressing onto her skin. Dara opened her dry mouth, then immediately closed it. “Make me breakfast.”

 

Without a word or even a glance, Dara complied with the order she’d just received. After frying up some sausages and mushrooms, Dara took a can of baked beans out from the cupboard as she toasted two pieces of brown bread. Dara laid everything onto a white porcelain plate, making sure there were no traces of oil left on the food before serving it. “Here you go Bom,” Dara whispered before carefully planting the plate down in front of Bom. Suffocating from the tense aura, Dara fled to her room.

 

Before tossing herself onto her bed and letting herself drown into the soft comforts of her mattress, she shrugged her coat on; wondering to herself whether going there would be the right thing to do. She sighed. As she let her thoughts consume her, she looked around; her eyes tracing every shadow cast by everything around her. Is it okay to visit her? What if she’s awake and she hates me?

 

The slamming of the front door reverberated throughout the house. Curious, Dara went to her bedroom window and peered outside, only to find Bom speed walking towards the same direction Dara intended to go just a minute ago. Dara sat down, her fingers twisting together as her right leg started to bounce up and down in nervousness. She took a deep breath before standing up and making her way outside.

 

She walked through familiar roads for at least twenty minutes before a huge white building engulfed her line of vision. With every step she took towards the entrance, the beat of her heart doubled.

 

The double glass door opened automatically, as if welcoming her into the building but as soon as she stepped inside, the smell of antiseptic plunged into her nostrils. She turned to the right, where the elevators were located. She pushed the button going up then waited for one of the two moving boxes to open up. A stampede of faceless people rushed their way out as soon as the doors opened. She hopped in and pressed the button with 3 on it; the words Intensive Care Unit were written next to it. Once she got off, she made her way to the room she’d spent most of her summer in.

 

She made her way to the very end of the hallway and as she did, she saw an open door. She looked inside, only to find something very unpleasant – a man had an oxygen mask with a clear tube plugged into his hand that pumped in chemicals into his system and a few machines next to his bed. She stood there listening to the gadgets beep but unlike hers, the man’s heartbeat was at a steady pace. A woman with greying hair offered her a smile; she gave an encouraging one back.

 

Dara pushed the heavy door open. She found her sister already sitting there with a hand over a slightly wrinkled one. Dara’s vision started to get clouded as she swallowed the image of her mother’s almost lifeless body. Bom looked up, her eyes swollen and her nose red. “What the hell are you doing here?” Bom’s voice dripped with venom.

 

“Um, I came to see our mother Bom,” Dara replied, her voice quiet yet hopeful. She took a step forward, wanting to get close to her mother. Bom stood up, enraged.

 

“Leave!”

 

Dara let out an involuntary whimper. “I have as much right to see her as you do!” Her voice shook, just like her hands. Bom her dry lips then let out a sarcastic laugh. Bom nodded but her face was masked with hatred as she looked at her sister.

 

“You have the right?” Bom asked, appalled. “You lost every right of being her daughter,” there was a slight pause before Bom raised her hand and pointed her elongated finger towards Dara, “the moment YOU left her for dead!” The words left Bom’s mouth like flying daggers and Dara felt every single one go through her and in that moment, Dara stopped fighting and cried. “Oh please,” Bom said as she rolled her eyes. “Save the water works for someone who cares.”

 

Bom sat back down, sandwiching their mother’s hand in hers. Dara however, was still standing near the door motionless. She watched her sister across the room and longed to be able to do that too.

 

“What the hell are you still doing here?” Bom asked, not taking her eyes away from their mother’s unrecognizable face.

 

“I’m not going anywhere, not this time, not until I speak to her,” although her voice was still just above a whisper, there was a hint of determination in it.

 

Bom once again stood up, this time she approached her sister and with every step she took, she spoke, “Have you ever thought that maybe Mum doesn’t want to talk or hear anything form you?” Bom’s eyes were shrouded with pure red. “I mean, after all, you did leave her for dead.”

 

“If you were in that accident, what would you have done!?” Dara demanded as she looked at her sister in the eye. Bom’s brown orbs widened slightly for it was the very first time since the said accident had Dara risen her voice the way she did.

 

Bom tilted her face up and straightened her back, making her look slightly down at Dara. “I,” Bom started, “would’ve done anything in my power to save OUR mother’s life instead of my own.”

 

This time, it was Dara’s turn to scoff. “Really? Everybody knows that you,” Dara pointed at her sister. “Park Bom only cared about yourse–” the forceful landing of Bom’s hands on Dara’s face made them stop what they were doing; the apparent shock on their identical features arose almost immediately after… but before either one of them could even move, a loud, fast beeping noise cut through the tension as if it was a guillotine blade gliding onto a piece of paper.

 

Both their heads turned to where their mother lay but before either one could take a step closer, the door flung open, revealing their mother’s doctor along with some nurses. The sisters both got pushed out of the room and into the quiet hallway, Dara closed her eyes as she clutched her hands together, praying their mother would be fine.

 

“This wouldn’t be happening if it wasn’t for you,” Bom stated, only this time, her voice was dead. Dara stared at her sister, only this time, she noticed the dark lines that were under Bom’s eyes and Bom’s skin complexion didn’t glow like it used to.

 

Dara looked down. “Bom,” she called, “I’m sorry for what I said earlier, I didn’t mean any of it.” Dara looked at her sister as she unconsciously pushed her hair back, revealing the ugly scar that ran across her right cheek.

 

Bom was quiet and still as she stared at Dara. Dara stared back, wondering why Bom wasn’t saying or doing anything, then she felt the soft breeze caress her exposed cheek. Like lightning, she covered her scar with her hair.

 

Bom blinked then nodded. “I am too.” Bom moved towards Dara, extending both her arms out. Dara accepted the invitation and clung onto Bom as they both sobbed in each other’s arms. As the clock ticked on, they both waited in silence, their hands gripping onto each other’s.

 

The doctor emerged from the room, and behind him the nurses diffused into the white and never ending hallways. “Your mother will be fine,” he smiled.

 

Dara trailed Bom’s steps. They both entered the room where their mother lay; the steady beeping of her machine’s echoed throughout the four corners. Both girls took one hand each, squeezing it lightly. Moments later, Dara rose to open the curtains, allowing light onto the once darkened room.

 


Author's Note:

Thank you for reading my first ever fanfic. :D Secondly, please let me know what you think by commenting down below :D

Also, this is a one shot but I have an idea that recently popped into my head and if you want it to be a multi chapter story then let me know :D