1/1

School of Dolls

Daehyun is a weird boy.

Weird is an understatement about him.

He’s trouble.

Yongguk could sense it, from the way he dresses, to the aura he always seems to emit. Daehyun still wear uniforms, but his uniforms are style into medieval style, like what little dolls would wear, and he seems to emit an eerie and mysterious aura that spells trouble.

But Yongguk is intrigued, although the logical side of his brain screams for him to stay away from the boy’s path.

He just couldn’t. Daehyun is beautiful. He is gorgeous, with a pair of big almond colored eyes, pretty nose, glossy pair of lips, and delicate face structure. Daehyun is beautiful, almost resembling a doll. He could easily be one of the most popular kids in school with his looks, if it isn’t for the doll he always carries around.

It would be cute, and girls would have squeal over that, if it isn’t for the fact Daehyun treats his doll like a human. He claims that his doll is alive, with full body function and a brain to think for his own, and that seems to drive many people away from him with looks of caution.

“His name is Himchan. He’s 17 years old.” Daehyun told everyone once.

Yongguk gulps, because when he looks into the pitch black eyes of the doll, the doll seems to look back.

Trouble, they are.

Yongguk is in the cafeteria with his friends, lounging over the table in boredom, as he couldn’t care less to join any of their conversations.

An arm swings over his shoulder, and Yongguk groans. “Stop it Jongup. You’re all meats and muscles and I’m just bones.” Jongup laughs, contagiously and loudly. He sits down next to the taller boy and grins. “Someone stuck something up your ?”

Yongguk rolls his eyes. “Shut up. It’s just the math teacher. I need to catch up on some s and she isn’t helping.”

Jongup punches him lightly, but Yongguk groans at the impact, because that kid is like a boxer. “She’s like that.” The boy says. “Go asks Mr. Kim. Even though you don’t have him, he’s a really nice guy. He’ll help just about anyone who goes ask.”

Yongguk nods, sipping his juice. “Note taken. Now would you please move over? Your and Chanyeol’s fat asses are squeezing the air out of me.”

“I’m not fat!” Chanyeol hollers, earning laughter from the boys sitting around the table

Yongguk almost run as he hurries to the classroom. He needs to use the bathroom, but class is about to start soon, and he doesn’t want to be late.

He isn’t looking properly, and it isn’t much of a surprise that seconds later, he bumps into someone, and the sound of collision rings into the air, as Yongguk collapses on a body. He curses and immediately stands up. “Holy crap. I’m so sorry. I wasn’t looking. Are you ok-?” His voice trails off as his eyes lands on the figure on the floor.

It is that creepy boy with the doll.

Daehyun looks up, doe eyes glistering with tears. Yongguk panics and crouches down. “Oh my gosh. Are you okay? I’m sorry. Are you hurt?” He rambles, looking around for any wounds on the boy’s body. Daehyun points to his knee and hisses when Yongguk turns to examine it. Yongguk shoots him an apologetic look and inspects the wound. His right knee is scratched, and a bit of blood was oozing out of the wound.

“Here. I’ll take you to the nurse. Get on my back.” Yongguk says, figuring that a kid like Daehyun, who cries because of a knee scratch, wouldn’t want to walk around with it. Daehyun sniffles and does what Yongguk told him. Yongguk stands up and is about to walk away when Daehyun says. “My Himchannie.” He points to the floor, voice pleading. Yongguk quickly picks it up and hands it to him.

“Thank you.” Daehyun says shyly, holding his doll.

This boy is so weird.

“It’s just a knee scratch. You’ll be alright, Daehyunnie.” The nurse pats the boy’s cheek before handing him a lollipop. Yongguk raises an eyebrow; amused but odd out by the way the nurse treats Daehyun like a child. The nurse smiles at him. “Daehyunnie here had to go to the nurse many times. He’s clumsy. But don’t take him as weak. He was just surprised.”

That means he’s weak, Yongguk thinks, but he shrugs.

“You think I’m weak, don’t you?” Daehyun says, his lollipop. Yongguk is startles, and shakes his head, although it isn’t true. “It’s okay. I wasn’t really crying. It’s just my reflex. My eyes water when I’m shocked or surprised.” Yongguk nods dumbly. So it was just reflex.

“But hey, it gets me away with thing. The teachers never yell at me because they don’t want me to get all watery.” The boy grins, pearly teeth and dimple cheeks.

Maybe he isn’t so weird.

Yongguk doesn’t know why he is waiting for Daehyun when school ends. Maybe because he feels guilty that he made him fall. Daehyun is surprised to find Yongguk waiting for him, but he doesn’t cry.

“Just the bad surprises, like if someone jumps out and scares me or something,” Daehyun says.

Yongguk continues to accompany Daehyun home, although he doesn’t let anyone know. He finds out that, other than the doll he always carries around, and his weir reflex, Daehyun is pretty much normal. Daehyun is a glutton, and he inhales food faster and Yongguk sprinting during track practice, and Yongguk is one of the best runner on the tract team. Daehyun likes to joke around and he’s hyper, which usually ends in falling and teary eyes.

Daehyun is cute, Yongguk thinks, in both personality and looks.

He isn’t really weird.

Until that one day Daehyun invites him to his house.

Daehyun’s house is spacious, almost like a mansion. It screams money in every corner of the building, and Yongguk feels a little self-conscious, because he lives with his mom, who’s a single mother, in a tiny rent room.

Daehyun grabs his hand and lead him to his room, and Yongguk blushes a little and the intimate gesture. The other boy, though, pays no heed and cheerily leads him to his room.

Daehyun’s room is huge. The room Yongguk’s family rent could easily fit into this room. Daehyun turns on the light, and Yongguk is surprised at the interior of the room. It looks almost like a doll house, with prettily designed furniture that you don’t usually find at the furniture store. They are all made of wood, giving an old style feeling to it. The color of every piece was well thought out to fit together and elegant. It doesn’t look like a room a boy would live in.

“Come on.” Daehyun pulls, breaking him out of his trance. “I wanna show you something.” Yongguk is pulled to a wooden shelf in the corner, and on it, are two dolls, each sitting in what supposed to be their own room, with little piece of well-made furniture and objects you could find in any room.

“This is Youngjae.” Daehyun pointed to the doll on the top shelf. “He’s my first doll, and also my favorite. Isn’t he cute?” He giggles.

Yongguk nods, part because it would be awkward to deny that, part because it is the truth. The doll has a delicate faces, and a pair of chubby cheeks that make him look very young. His eyes are big with an exotic curve at the end of it, and his blond hair is soft and silky-looking. He is sitting on a chair, in a doll room that is so well done it seems like a real room. Yongguk vaguely wonders where Daehyun got these realistic models.

What freaks Yongguk out a bit is the fact that it looks human, almost too human, but much smaller. He looks into its eyes, and it seems to stare back with pleading eyes, like it is expecting Yongguk to do something.

He jumps when he feels a hand on his shoulder, and snaps his head around.

He sighs softly when his eyes come in contact with Daehyun’s face. The smaller boy smiles cutely and points to the next doll.

“That one is called Kris. He’s my second doll. He’s 18 years old, a graduating senior. He’s very popular.” A handsome looking doll, with well define face structure and sharp eyes, Yongguk notices. Just like the first doll, this one looks almost too real, and Yongguk has to avert his gaze because he couldn’t stand looking into its human-like eyes.

He gulps.

“And the last one is Himchan.” Daehyun holds out the doll in his arm. “I just got him recently. He’s a very pretty guy, isn’t he? I like his voice a lot. It’s deep and raspy.” The doll in his arm almost seems scared, like he wants to escape from Daehyun’s arms, away from the boy’s presence.

Yongguk nods, eyes training to the expression of horror twisting the plastic face.

Dolls really don’t talk, or stare, or show emotions.

Do they?

 

“Hey Jongup. Have you ever heard of someone named Youngjae? Or Kris? Or maybe Himchan?” Yongguk asks as he sips his juice, eyeing his friend in curiousity. He doesn’t know why he wants to know that, but he has a feeling those names have some real connection to reality. Jongup freezes and turns to him, a look of horror on his usually cheerful face.

“Yongguk. Where did you hear those names?” Jongup asks, his voice shakes in what almost sounds like fear.

“I- I heard some kids talking about them. Who are they?” He lies.

Jongup lets out a breath of relief, and Yongguk feels bad lying to him. But he doesn’t want anyone to know yet he’s hanging out with Daehyun.

“They are,” Jongup hesitates, “they were our seniors. Youngjae was 3rd year; Himchan and Kris were 4th year. They all went missing, either last year or recently. You probably don’t know because you just moved here. It was really creepy and scary, because no one has ever found a single trace that indicates they had ever existed on planet earth. The day they disappeared, their families report that all of their stuffs disappeared with them. It’s a weird phenomenon that almost causes our school to be shut down, but the police didn’t find any proof to prove that our school cause the disappearance of these three students. So things go on, a few kids moved, but most stay. But the newspaper made grandeur about this event, and called our school the cursed school or something. Point: stay away from these names, anything that arouse your danger instinct, anything creepy, and avoid doing anything alone.”

“Even to the restroom?” Yongguk snorts, but Jongup’s face stays serious.

“Yes. Everyone understands that, even the toughest kids. So don’t try being brave, Yongguk. It’s not worth it.”

Yongguk nods. “Note taken”

Jongup stares at him, and then speaks up. “Whatever you do Yongguk, stay out of anything that screams trouble.”

….

Yongguk sits in the music room, fingers dance carelessly on the piano keys. He sighs in frustration as he couldn’t concentrate, and resorts to just sit there. He could be doing something productive right now, but so much is in his mind, and he needs time and space to sort them through.

It is a comfortable silence, until the door slides open.

Yongguk almost jumps, and avert his gaze to the entrance. His eyes widen when he notices Daehyun, and he has the urge to just pretend that he needs to go and runs out of them.

“D-Daehyun,” Yongguk mentally curses himself for stuttering. “What are you doing here?”

The said boy smiles and closes the door behind him. Yongguk gulps. His fear threat sensors are screaming for him to make a run for it, but he stays put.

“What?” Daehyun laughs. “I can’t come here?” The childish melodic sound rings through the air, but Yongguk couldn’t let his defense down. Cautiously, he answers. “I’m just curious. School ended half an hour ago.”

Daehyun shrugs. “I’m looking for you. School won’t close until 5 and I still have an hour and a half to spend.”

If Yongguk was in his right mind, he would be asking how Daehyun knows he’s still there. But it is a mess, so he just nods, and Daehyun giggles. “I brought some cakes. Want some?”

Yongguk shakes his head. “No thanks. I don’t like sweet.”

“That’s why I got the coffee one. It’s not at all sweet.” The boy grins, holding up the box of cakes.

Yongguk smiles. “Sure. Why not?”

 

 

They settle to the corner or the room, and Yongguk get the cakes out, while Daehyun but his doll to the side.

“You brought Youngjae today?” He notices.

Daehyun nods. “Youngjae needs some times out of that old basement any way. Besides, he likes cake.” Yongguk just nods carelessly, and hands Daehyun the fork. He picks up his own cake and pushes the box over to Daehyun. “Here. You have two of them, so I don’t know which on you want first.”

Daehyun takes out the chocolate one. “I’m not eating both of them. Youngjae’s is the chocolate. Mine is strawberry.” He put the pastry in front of the doll, and then picks up his own cake. Yongguk, by now, is already used to Daehyun’s weird behaviors, but the questions aroused by the conversation during lunch still linger at the back of his head. He turns to Daehyun. “Can I ask you something?”

Daehyun nods. “Go ahead.”

“Why did you name your dolls Youngjae, Himchan and Kris?”

Daehyun tilts his head innocently. “Why? I like those names.”

Yongguk continues, not satisfy with the answer. “You probably have heard of Youngjae, Himchan and Kris’s story, how they disappeared into thin air. Why do your dolls have those names?”

Yongguk expects Daehyun to be irritated or mad at him for those questions, but he just smiles. “Because they are Youngjae doll, Himchan doll and Kris doll.”

Yongguk’s eyebrows rise in confusion, and Daehyun giggles. “You’re being silly Yongguk. They are just named that way. There’s no reason for their name.”

Yongguk chews on his cake and swallows. It tastes like sand now.

Something is really not right.

“Jongup. I want to ask a question.”

“Shoot.”

“Was there anything weird with Himchan sunbaenim, Youngjae sunbaenim or Kris sunbaenim before they disappear?”

Jongup groans. “This again? Can we just drop this subject? I don’t to think about it.”

Yongguk pouts. “Oh come on. I’m the new kid. I’m pretty clueless about thing. Wouldn’t it be better if I know more about it, so I can avoid it?” Jongup stares at him, and then sighs. “I guess that’s true. Okay. I’ll tell you what I know.”

Yongguk nods excitedly, and Jongup starts. “Well. Himchan, Youngjae and Kris sunbaenim all had in common the fact that they were the popular good looking kids. They are very friendly, even to the outcasts. Something weird about them? Well I heard from their friends that several weeks before their disappearance, they spend less time with them and around their family. People speculate that they were involved in some kind of gang or bad stuffs, but then no one could explain how their stuffs also disappear with them.”

“How do they look like?” Yongguk asks, and Jongup taps on his phone. “I’m gonna look up for that. They probably have their pictures on the news…” Jongup’s voice trails off as he focuses on the task, and Yongguk is left to let what Jongup just said sinks in. There wasn’t any mention about Daehyun, or them seeing anyone.

“Found it.” Jongup cheers, and gives him the phone.

Yongguk’s stomach drops.

On the touch screen is an article with the title “The Cursed School: 3 Boys Went Missing”.

Under the title are the pictures of Daehyun’s three dolls.

...

Daehyun is trouble. Yongguk should have never got involved with him. But he couldn’t help but to.

Daehyun is trouble, and he should just avoid.

Yongguk warms up to prepare for his run practice. Although the season is already over, he needs to practice to always keep himself in shape. He has much more time, now that he tries to avoid and stays away from Daehyun as much as possible. He knows there’s no definite proof saying that Daehyun, somehow, is responsible for the disappearance of the three seniors, but to him, it is clear as day light.

He is stretching out when a familiar voice startles him to almost fall over. He whips his head toward the direction, and cold sweats broke out when he sees the boy he’s been trying to avoid.

“Hi, Yongguk. How are you?” The boy grins, eyes glowing and dimples appear on his cheeks. Usually, Yongguk would find that very cute about him, but not after what he just found out.

Yongguk gulps and shifts his feet nervously. “I’m good. How about you?”

“Great.” Daehyun beams. “I miss you. I haven’t seen you for days. Were you busy?” He asks.

Yongguk forces a smile, even though all he wants to do that moment is to scream and tells Daehyun to go away, to tell him that he’s a monster, a freak.

Maybe that’s the truth.

Daehyun isn’t normal at all.

He was never normal.

Yongguk should have stay out of trouble.

Daehyun carries on with the conversations, not noticing the change on Yongguk’s face. But when he does, he reaches out for the other male, and is immediately slapped away.

“GET AWAY FROM ME YOU FREAK.” Yongguk screams, staggering back. He’s breathing heavy, and his heart hammers in his chest. Fear overtook his perception, and all he could see is that Daehyun is a monster.

“Yongguk-.”

“DON’T. DON’T SAY MY NAME. I KNOW WHAT YOU DID TO HIMCHAN, YOUNGJAE AND KRIS. YOU FREAK. STAY AWAY FROM ME.” He screams, taking steps further back. Although he is scared of Daehyun, a part of him is wishing Daehyun would explain to him that he isn’t the one responsible for the disappearance of three students, that he isn’t some kind of freaks.

“Ha. So you know.” Daehyun smirks, hair falling over his right eyes. Yongguk’s heart sinks, and he turns to run, but Daehyun is quicker. He grabs the taller male with his hand, with strength that Yongguk didn’t know he has, trapping the male in his grip.

“Too bad you figure out too soon. I would rather keep you human for a while.” Daehyun says; his voice cold. “Yes. Those three dolls I have were once human. They were just like you: friendly, nice, charming, undeniably attractive, and full of curiosity. I want them to keep me company. I’d been so lonely before you all came.”

Yongguk trembles violently in fear, and Daehyun continues. “You don’t know how hard it was for me. I have no one by my side. I was a lonely soul, without a family, without a friend.”

“So when Youngjae came, I decided to make him mine, same with Kris, same with Himchan.” Daehyun giggles.

“Be mine, Bang Yongguk. You’ll live forever. You’ll live to eternity, with me, with Youngjae, with Kris, with Himchan.” Daehyun says, smiling softly, the smile Yongguk used to find beautiful.

He struggles violently, screaming for help. “LET ME GO. SOMEBODY. HELP!!!”

Daehyun’s eyes turn cold. “Don’t do this, Yongguk. Don’t make it hard for yourself.”

“LET GO OF ME, FREAK. YOU MONSTER.”

Daehyun sighs and brushes the hair from his right eyes. “You know why my eyes always water? It wasn’t because of my reflex, nor fear. It was because these eyes are cursed.”

Yongguk shouldn’t have look into it, but he can’t help himself.

Daehyun’s right eye, which is usually hazel brown, has turned a deep shade of red.

“Goodnight, Bang Yongguk.”

Then things go black.

“I haven’t seen Yongguk for a while. Did he move?”

“No. I heard that he went missing. Disappear into thin air. Just like that.”

“He’s already the 4th guy.”

“This is so creepy. I want to change school.”

“Me too, but my parents said it’s just nonsense. They just don’t know.”

“Let’s just never go alone anymore.”

“Yeah. I hope Yongguk is fine.”

“I hope so too.”

Daehyun’s lips curve into a smile. He brushes the silky black strand from the doll’s face and giggles lightly. The doll in his hand seems to be looking around, frantically trying to find a way to escape.

Daehyun laughs softly. “It’s no use trying to fight back.”

“You’re mine, Bang Yongguk.”

 

 

 

 

 

A/n: that’s probably the weirdest thing I’ve ever written. I’m still new to all these horror and creepy stuffs, and my grammar and vocabulary are crappy. So here’s this flop piece of fanfic. If you think I could and should write more stuffs like this, let me know, cause I have several new plots in mind already.

Comment?