Teddy Bear

The Same Engagement Ring

Chapter 16

 

Chanyeol felt strangely light as they left Baekhyun’s house, as if everything had been lifted off of his chest. He grinned and laced his fingers with Kyungsoo’s, the latter turning a pronounced shade of crimson.

 

“So did you like our first date?”

 

“...That was kind of a drama-filled date,” Kyungsoo admitted, looking down at the sidewalk. The only light emitted was from the yellowed streetlights and from the cars speeding off beside them. It was around three in the morning, and though Baekhyun had offered them a room, Chanyeol had refused, to the confusion of Kyungsoo.

 

“Well, I’d be glad to take you on better ones,” Chanyeol shrugged, smiling. “In fact, we can go on one tomorrow.”

 

“You romantic little crap,” Kyungsoo retorted teasingly, some of his old sarcasm coming back. He looked more lively as well, which relieved Chanyeol.

 

“Well, I’m your romantic little crap.”

 

Kyungsoo stopped walking and burst into laughter.

 

“Seriously, Yeol?”

 

Chanyeol pouted. “Whatever.”

 

Chanyeol blabbered on for a while, Kyungsoo completely satisfied with just hearing Chanyeol’s voice. Meanwhile, Chanyeol snuck admiring glances at the soft smile that Kyungsoo wore.

 

“Yeah, I was thinking of not relying on Luhan anymore and getting my own house… I don’t think it’ll be very comfortable living in the same house if I break up with him… and I don’t think you’d be very happy with it either, haha. Like I mean, wouldn’t you feel awkward too? Like I’m not that weird, right? But I like to be weird, so-”

 

“Ahem,” Kyungsoo coughed, and Chanyeol looked up, startled.

 

“Yeah?”

 

“I was thinking… since you’d have to spend some time looking for houses… do you want to spend the night at my house? I mean, if that isn’t inconvenient or anything, you can stay forever if you-” Kyungsoo stopped rambling and slapped a hand over his mouth.

 

Chanyeol chuckled, amused at Kyungsoo’s adorableness. “So I can stay with you while I try and find one, right? I’ll pay rent and everything; we’ll be roommates! Is that okay?”

 

“Absolutely!” Kyungsoo blurted out, then flushed. “I mean, yeah, if you want to.”

 

“Great!” Chanyeol flashed him a smile, then pecked him on the cheeks. “Thanks.”

 

“N-n-no problem,” Kyungsoo stuttered.

 

“I just have to get my stuff, though,” Chanyeol sighed, “and I guess I should break up with Luhan while I’m at it. I’ll you home first, though, before I go to Luhan’s. I’ll come back, though!” he reassured quickly, seeing the frown on Kyungsoo’s face, “and if I spend more than half an hour at Luhan’s you can kick me in the balls. Deal?”

 

“Deal,” Kyungsoo chuckled, having managed to compose himself again. “Since you’ll probably get your luggage stuck in the doorway for half an hour, I look forwards to kicking you in the balls.”

 

 


 

“That was fun, wasn’t it?” Jongdae asked cheerily. Some of the colour had returned into Baekhyun’s pale cheeks, which Jongdae was grateful for.

 

“Yeah, it was.” Baekhyun rearranged some pretty flowers. His smile was bittersweet, and Jongdae unconsciously moved closer.

 

“Do you need-”

 

“I’m going to go to bed,” Baekhyun said quietly, turning away. “Wake me up if you have a problem with your room.” With that, he walked away, leaving Jongdae frowning at the door.

 

“Ugh… Pup, what’ll I do?”

 

 


 

Chanyeol slipped quietly into Luhan’s house, careful to not even jingle his keys. It was three in the morning; both Luhan and Minseok would be fast asleep.

 

A bluish source of light caught his eye, and with a frown, he headed to the living room, where he was greeted with a sight that should have made his heart ache.

 

Minseok and Luhan were getting all cuddly with each other on the sofa, watching what Chanyeol assumed was a romance movie, because every once in a while, Luhan would smile and Minseok would kiss his cheek. They looked to be having their sweet little romantic moment, and though Chanyeol kept staring, he didn’t feel a rush of anger or grief- only slight disappointment in Luhan.

 

“Ahem.”

 

The two lovebirds looked up, startled, and Chanyeol tilted his head.

 

“Well, I was going to come here to break up with you, because I’m not the type to have two boyfriends at the same time, but it sure looks like you are.” At that, Minseok whipped his head around to stare at Luhan, waiting for a shocked expression, but Luhan had only one look- that of a deer in headlights.

 

“I just came to say that I’m breaking up with you and moving out. It seems like poor Minseok will be doing the same thing soon.” Chanyeol smirked wryly. “Funny, I’m not as heartbroken as I thought I’d be. I can’t say the same for Minseok, though. But enough of my intervention; I’ll leave you two to your own devices.” He walked off in the direction of his room, and Minseok went back to staring at Luhan.

 

“Please tell me that he’s kidding.”

 

Luhan opened his mouth and closed it again, and Minseok stood up.

 

“Luhan, I swear-”

 

“I just wanted to make everyone happy,” Luhan blurted out, eyes filling up with tears, and Minseok had heard enough.

 

“I can’t believe you.”

 

“I couldn’t hurt anyone by denying th-”

 

“Well, guess what, Luhan?” Minseok hissed. “This just makes everyone hurt a whole lot more.” With that, he stomped off to his own room, just as Chanyeol headed out, luggage in hand.

 

“Woah.” Chanyeol gave Luhan a pitying look, the kind that you’d give an animal that was about to be put down. “Sorry, Lu, but I couldn’t let this go on.” He glanced at his watch. “I’ve got ten minutes left, so have fun.” Chanyeol rushed out the door, leaving Luhan curled up and crying on the sofa by himself.

 

Who knew that a person’s world could come crashing down in less than a minute?

 

 


 

“You’re actually back within the time limit,” Kyungsoo said briskly, taking Chanyeol’s jacket. “Too bad, I was looking forwards to kicking your nuts.”

 

“Back to your old self, I see,” Chanyeol noted amusedly. “No more of your adorable side, then?”

 

“What’re you talking about?” Kyungsoo grumbled, pressing a kiss to Chanyeol’s cheek. “I was always adorable.”

 

“True, true,” Chanyeol grinned, setting his bags down. “Would milady kindly show me to my room?”

 

“Shut up,” Kyungsoo complained teasingly. “So, how’d it go?”

 

Chanyeol shrugged. “Not as bad as I thought it would go. I kinda felt bad for them, though.”

 

“Luhan wasn’t making the best choices,” Kyungsoo said decidedly. “You did the right thing.”

 

Chanyeol cracked a smile. “Are you saying that ‘cause you’re jealous, or-”

 

“Hey!” Kyungsoo batted at Chanyeol playfully. “I’d better show you to your room, before you cause any more trouble.”

 

“To the rooms!”

 

 


 

“Hey!” Luhan managed to choke out, standing at Minseok’s doorway. “Where are you going?”

 

“Back to China,” Minseok muttered. “Don’t bother me.”

 

“Y-you can’t make it there today,” Luhan whimpered. “Please, let’s just talk.”

 

“No, I can’t make it there today, but thanks to my parents, I can make it there tomorrow, and I’d be grateful if you left me alone until then,” Minseok hissed, zipping up the suitcase.

 

“Plea-”

 

“There’s nothing to talk about, okay?” Minseok snapped. “You cheated, he’s leaving, I’m leaving, the end. Have fun.” He stood up and slammed the door, causing Luhan to flinch and start crying again.

 

I just wanted to make everyone happy…

 

 


 

“This is your room, sir,” Kyungsoo mocked, bowing, and Chanyeol swatted at him, laughing.

 

“Thanks; this is great. If you could tell me how much I need to pay-”

 

Kyungsoo waved him off. “We’ll do that tomorrow morning. Just shower first; I’ll shower too.”

 

“Can we shower together?”

 

“What?” Kyungsoo half-shrieked, half-cackled. “Are you insane? No!”

 

Chanyeol wiggled his eyebrows. “Am I moving too fast? As my boyfriend, you need to tell me if I am.”

 

The word boyfriend sent butterflies into Kyungsoo’s stomach and he blushed deeper than he’d already been blushing.

 

“I’mgonnagoshowernow, andyoushouldtoo, butnottogetherbye!”

 

As Kyungsoo zoomed out, Chanyeol chuckled.

 

“Cutie.”

 

 


 

“I’m leaving,” Minseok announced half an hour later.

 

“So early?” Luhan tried to compose himself, but Minseok didn’t even spare a glance at him.

 

“I’d rather spend five hours in an airport than spend another minute with you.” And without a farewell, the door opened and then slammed shut.

 

Goodbye, Luhan. I hope I’ll forget you.

 

 


 

“Kyungsoo,” Chanyeol sang cheerfully, all dressed up in his pajamas. “Kyungie, get over here!”

 

A head poked out of a nearby room.

 

“Did you need anything?”

 

“Just come over; please?” Chanyeol pouted.

 

“Yeah, ‘kay.” Kyungsoo followed Chanyeol into his bedroom cautiously. “What do you need?”

 

Chanyeol slipped into bed, then, without warning, pulled Kyungsoo up with him.

 

“Hey!” Kyungsoo choked out. “What’re you doin’?!”

 

“Cuddling,” Chanyeol replied simply. “It’s five in the morning and I miss my teddy bear so just go with it, please?”

 

“Fine,” Kyungsoo groused, though he was squealing inside. “Just don’t crush me like you do with your teddy.”

 

“Yay! Kyungie is so cuddly,” Chanyeol’s deep, sleepy voice rumbled, almost comically. “Hey, is this too fast for you?”

 

“Not really,” Kyungsoo shrugged, unable to keep the amused smile off of his face. “Goodnight, Chanyeol.”

 

“G...g’night.” Almost immediately, Chanyeol began snoring softly.

 

“Cutie,” Kyungsoo whispered, echoing Chanyeol’s previous words. “What a cutie.”