Beginning

A Second Chance

It was chilly outside. Colder than KyungIl has expected. He tried to warm himself by walking in place and rubbing his hands together. He soon stopped when he noticed a few people giving him curious looks. He wished he had taken a heating pack from the girl handing them out for free outside a coffee shop he had passed earlier. 

"Hurry up already!"  he thought,  wondering how he'd wound up there in the first place, waiting for his friend DoKyun  who had a habit of being late for everything. Actually,  he knew exactly how he had ended there in the freezing cold. He recalled earlier that week when he had all of a sudden been invited by DoKyun to come see his band play at some sort of indie concert with other bands. He had looked so enthusiastic that KyungIl had not been able to refuse, also DoKyun had already bought a ticket for him in advance so he was practically being forced to go. "Well," he thought "I guess it's partially my fault for not knowing how to say no to him".

Just as he was about to call his friend to hurry it up, DoKyun appeared. He waved at KyungIl who had been waiting for almost an hour.

"Sorry for being late, I kind of overslept" DoKyun said a bit embarrassed

"How could you oversleep! Especially today of all days!" 

"I was only going to take a small nap after work but wound up sleeping a bit longer"

"A bit longer?! Do you know how long I've been waiting for you!" KyungIl held in the urge to kick DoKyun since he did not want to end up hurting him before the concert,  if he did he would never hear the end of it.

"Sorry" DoKyun apologized

"Fine, well next time put an alarm or something to wake you up, I almost froze to death waiting for you" DoKyun was about to ask why he hadn't waited inside one of the stores nearby where it was warm but he didn't want to annoy KyungIl more than he already was.

"Ok, ok" they hurried to the venue only a few blocks away. When they got there people were already waiting in line to get inside. When KyungIl turned to look at DoKyun he could see how tense he had gotten.

"Why are you so tense?  This isn't the first time you've played in front of people "

"I know...but it somehow feels different..."

"Different? "

"Well, we aren't only playing for our fans today, there are lots of other people...what if they don't like us..." KyungIl was so used to DoKyun being calm and carefree that he was a bit surprised to see such a worried expression on his face. KyungIl suddenly gave DoKyun a slap on the back, making him loose his balance for an instant.  When DoKyun turned around to ask why he'd done that he was greeted by Kyungil's  smile.

"You shouldn't be thinking about that. Just have fun, isn't that the most important thing" DoKyun managed a small smile

"Yeah, I guess you are right," they got to the side door of the venue, that was used only by the performers and staff."well than I'll see you after the show and introduce you to  the band"

"Alright, see ya" once DoKyun had gone inside KyungIl went and lined up with the rest of the people waiting to get inside. 

It took a couple of minutes but finally they began to let people inside the venue. It probably held around 2,000 people and today it was packed. KyungIl had never been to an indie concert before so he was a bit surprised to see so many people. He hadn't expected for these bands that rarely or never appeared on tv to be these popular. 

Thanks to DoKyun getting him a good ticket he was able to stand in the front where he could see the stage clearly.  He could feel the excitement build as the minutes passed and the concert grew closer to it's opening. Music suddenly filled the venue announcing its start. From the very first note that was played KyungIl had been completely mesmerized. All the bands that came out to play looked so happy. He couldn't help feeling a bit jealous,  he longed to one day also be one of those performers on stage instead of just another spectator. 

It was almost time for the concert to end and DoKyun's band hadn't performed yet. KyungIl guessed they were going to be one of the last groups to perform. He was excited to finally getting to meet and listen to the band his friend had talked to him about countless times.

Finally after what seemed for ever the MC announced the entrance of HiS-sTory. KyungIl was shocked by the loud reaction their name alone got from the crowd.  He couldn't help smiling. 

"See, there wasn't a reason for you to be nervous" KyungIl thought

DoKyun walked on stage with a huge smile plastered on his face, the worried expression KyungIl had seen on him before was long gone. The rest of the band members followed after him, each going to their places to get ready to start.

"Hi everyone!" DoKyun greeted the crowd,  loud cheers greeted him back. He began to say a few more things but KyungIl wasn't paying attention to him anymore.  He was momentarily distracted by the guitarist, perhaps it was the lighting of the stage but for an instant he looked familiar. KyungIl tried to focus on his face but it had been covered by his overgrown locks when he looked down to connect his guitar. 

"We are HiS-sTory, I hope you enjoy our music" DoKyun said

Finally the guitarist looked up at the crowd. He ran his long thin fingers through his hair, gently tucking a few strands behind his left ear to reveal his face, he smiled. 

It was like someone had pressed the mute button. KyungIl couldn't hear the sound of either the crowd cheering or of DoKyun singing.  All his senses were focused on only one thing, the guitarist's face as he occasionally looked up from his guitar to smile at the crowd.  

"It can't be..." KyungIl thought out loud, his voice drowned by the cheering all around him "...Daniel?"