Too Late

Secrets [So Long Sequel]

 

Putting all the things back inside the box, he hugged it and lay beside Fluff.

“Why didn’t I know all this before? Fluff, you also know my story right? Is it hard for you to be the keeper of our hidden feelings? If it is then I’m sorry, I’m also sorry that I didn’t realize earlier and that I’m a coward” with Naeun in his mind, he eventually fall asleep.

 

Jongin woke up when Fluff started to his face, the sun shines on him and he can tell that it’s already nearing noon. He gathered himself up before walking back to Mr. Jung’s farm with Fluff. After saying goodbye to the dog and to the old farmer, he decided to go to his home. As expected they were surprised to see him, because he didn’t inform any of them that he’s coming back that day. His mom and dad we’re so happy to see him, and of course he felt the same. He missed them so much, even if they went to his graduation last year, he didn’t get the chance to get home that year. After graduating he find first a job and now he will just have a short vacation.

 

 

Time passed by surely fast, it’s already a week since he came back, and he had only ten more days to stay. But since he arrived, he never saw Naeun. Aside from spending time with his family, he already met some old friends, including Soojung. It really felt good to be back but he knows that something is missing, he cannot be completely happy because he haven’t seen Naeun. He already met her family again and he even got invited to dinner with them, just like when they were kids. Of course, he asked about Naeun, but the only thing that they said is that she’s working in Seoul and said that she’s doing fine. Aside from that they never said anything else. He tried to ask what part of Seoul is she at, what is her work, and if she already got a boyfriend, but none of these questions was answered clearly.

 

 

It continued until his last day of stay. Jongin feels that there is something wrong. That they were hiding something from him. When he asked her family, they won’t anything. He tried asking his parents, but still no information is given. Asking some closefriends, they also didn’t know, or that’s just what they said. If only Fluff can talk, he knows that the dog might be the one who can answer him, but of course Fluff can’t talk. He’s just a silent keeper of Jongin and Naeun’s story, of their hidden feelings for each other. With that, Mr. Jung is the only hope left for Jongin.

Riding his old bike to the farm, he was welcomed by Fluff. He ruffled his fur before entering in the small gate. He smiled as he saw Mr. Jung. The old man is having a break outside his house and it smiled at him too.

“Hey kiddo”

“Ahjussi”

“I made cookies earlier want some?”

“Of course, I missed those ahjussi!” he said and they all entered the house. They went to the kitchen where Mr. Jung serves him the cookies and fresh milk from his cows.  Mr. Jung is like his second father, since they were kids, the old man always baked cookies and desserts for them and paired it with fresh milk, at that house he and Naeun have they own cups. The milk that is served to him is put on his cup; he stared at it first before looking up to cupboard where Naeun’s cup is laid untouched.

“Missing her right?” Mr. Jung said and Jongin look at him and nod.

“Ahjussi can you tell me—”

“Where Naeun is?” Mr. jung cut his question “You know Jongin, for the past summers, she’s the one who is always here, eating cooking and drinking milk on her cup while yours remained untouched at the cupboard, but this year it’s the opposite, you’re here and she’s not”

“Can you tell me more about how she spends summer here without me?”

“Of course, Naeun, she’ll always pass by here, greeting me before climbing the hill with Fluff. She said that you promised to meet there so she always come back to see if you already came. I can see that she’s really and a somehow frustrated, she told me that she purposely lost contact with you at Seoul, but then there she is constantly waiting for you every summer”

“If only I’m not a coward”

“Don’t pull yourself down. Both of you, you were just afraid to lose something important, and that is your friendship, you were both so important to each other and neither one wants to lose the other, and with that you pushed away your feelings and hide it deeply in your heart”

Jongin look at the old man, confused. He doesn’t remember telling him about his feelings for Naeun.

“Wonder why I know? I watched the two of you grow up, the little changes, I noticed those. Even if you both didn’t say a thing, I know and understand”

“But right now, I don’t see Naeun. When I asked them, they won’t give me an answer, if they will, I know it’s incomplete. I know that they were hiding something. Ahjussi, I’ve been a coward all these years, and now that I’ve finally decided to tell her, do you think I still have a chance? Or am I too late? Ahjussi, do you know where Naeun is? Ahjussi, please tell me, I really need to see her”

The old man sat beside him and tap his shoulder “Like what they said, Naeun is at Seoul, the exact place I also didn’t know. She’s doing fine, that’s what she said and what she wants us to believe, but I doubt it too. I know you already read her letters for you, but she didn’t write everything on those letters. There are more secrets that is better for you to find out yourself, once you finally found her. All your questions will be answered by her only, and that includes if you’re too late or not”

 

 

After talking with Mr. Jung, Jongin went to the hill again with Fluff. Sitting on the grass, he put the wooden box on his lap before taking out a piece of paper.

 

 

Summer 2018

Naeun, I don’t really know how to start this letter, should I say hi? Or how are you? Anyways, I want to say sorry. I am deeply sorry for not showing up on the summers that we promised to meet. I’m sorry if I broke my own promise. My life in Seoul is not easy, I know it’s the same for you, and I really appreciate that you made an effort to make sure that you can come back every summer. I’m sorry if I didn’t do the same. After school, I have part time jobs, during summer I still work. Soojung? We already broke up after a year, you know I actually tried to date again, but then I realized I can’t. Why? Because of you.

Naeun, just like you I also keep my feelings, I tried to push it away and be a coward because I’m afraid to lose you, but look at us right now. I don’t know if we are okay or not, we lost contact and the pain I feel right now is worse than hiding my love. I thought that if I pushed away my feelings I won’t lose you, but right now, I feel that I already lost you.

I have many questions in my mind, and I know that only you can answer that. Wherever you are, I will find you, I won’t be a coward anymore. And when that time came when I see you again, I hope it’s not too late.

 

 

Folding the paper neatly, Jongin put the letter inside the box alongside with a photo of him and Fluff. He took it two days ago. Coming back to the farm, he put the box back inside Fluff’s house.

“Fluff, keep it safe for us okay.  If ever Naeun came back, get her to read my letter okay? I trust you Fluff. I’ll be going to Seoul now. Thank you Fluff, I’ll try my best to comeback next summer”

With that he said goodbye to the dog and to Mr. Jung. He went home to get his luggage and already went back to Seoul, for his work and to find Naeun.

 

 

 

 

The work in the office is stressing Jongin so much. He need to sign papers and still have some projects that needs to be done before the deadline. Two months have passed, and he became too busy in his work but still manage to move little by little to find out where Naeun is. Taking his coat with him, he went out of his office and outside the building to take a quick lunch.

He decided to just go to the nearest convenience store to buy a packed lunch. After getting what he needs, he walk his way to the counter but stop when he saw a familiar figure. He felt his heart beating fast, but he also wonder if it’s really her, or if he’s just hallucinating just like the other times. Slowly he walked to the lady who’s busy choosing the product she’ll buy at the milk section.

“Naeun?” He called in a low voice but loud enough to be heard by the lady. The lady turn her head to her, his heartbeat’s speed doubled than earlier, he blinked his eyes multiple times to confirm that he’s not dreaming. It is her. Naeun, the girl that he’s looking for.

Naeun also showed a surprised expression on her face. “Jongin…” she mumbled with her wide eyes

“Umma? Who is he?” a little girl just about the age of three peeked from behind Naeun while holding on the end of her coat. Jongin didn’t notice the child earlier, but now that he did, there’s only one thing on his head.

 

 

“Am I too late?”