Baekhyun & Jongin - 1

Queer & Proud - Behind the Scenes

“Hey Kyungsoo.”

 

Jongin straightened up and sent the boy his infamous grin. He had made sure to put on his uniform the right way - it would surely impress the stoic boy in front of him.

 

Kyungsoo stared back with blank eyes before sighing and slamming the locker door close.

 

“I’m not in the mood, Jongin,” he muttered, as if he was already drained of energy. Jongin watched sadly as Kyungsoo brushed past him and walked away. He sighed and leaned against the locker, immediately reaching up to his tie to loosen it.

 

“Damn it,” he cursed quietly. He was hoping Kyungsoo would be in a better mood today, and had done everything he could to impress him. Unfortunately, Kyungsoo seemed completely oblivious to the way his shirt was buttoned up and his hair was actually brushed neatly.

 

“If you’re done moping, you should probably move.”

 

Jongin turned to face a short boy standing in front of him, hands on hips and eyes staring up at him in determination. He was at least a head smaller, but the aura that the boy emitted intimidated Jongin. Just a little bit.

 

Jongin slowly pushed himself off the locker and moved to the side.

 

“This is your locker?” Jongin asked. The boy simply ignored him and pulled open his locker, piling in untouched looking textbooks and notebooks. Jongin frowned and reiterated in a louder voice.

 

“Hey, I asked you a question. Is this your locker?”

 

The boy shot him an annoyed look and slammed the locker door close.

 

“What do you think? Maybe you should use that head of yours instead of just having it around for decoration.”

 

Jongin had to keep himself from gaping at the boy’s comment as he walked away. Finally breaking out of the shock, he ran over and skid into a stop in front of the boy.

 

“Wait. I need to ask you for a favor.”

 

The boy scoffed and crossed his arms, cocking his eyebrows. “And I should listen to you because?”

 

“Because I’ll do something for you in return,” Jongin quickly replied. The boy stood in silence, but his eyes didn’t reveal anything.

 

“Anything?” he replied, and Jongin nodded fervently. The boy bit his lips before his lips turned into a smirk.

 

“Let’s hear it first.”

 

Jongin breathed out in relief. “You see, the boy I have a crush on has the locker right beside yours. I was wondering if we could switch lockers. Just take it as immensely helping someone’s love life. Please?”

 

The boy let out a loud laughter. “You want to switch lockers with me? Fine, I don’t see why not. But you better keep your promise, or else.”

 

Jongin grinned widely. “Thanks a lot. Just text me,” he ripped out a blank piece of paper and scribbled down his number, handing it to the boy, “and I’ll be right there.”

 

The boy took the paper and glanced at it briefly. He looked up and pat Jongin’s shoulders. “Keep up the effort, love boy,” he said before walking away.

 

“Weird guy,” Jongin whispered under his breath before returning to his dorm room.


 

 

 

 

“So, Kim Jongin, huh?”

 

Jongin frowned and looked up from his phone. His eyes widened at the sight of the boy from before peering down at him.

 

“So you found out my name,” he commented before returning his gaze to the phone. “Did you figure out what you wanted, or are you here for something else?”

 

He heard a scoff and remained indifferent to the fact that the boy was now pulling out a chair across from him, sitting down as if there was absolutely nothing wrong with two almost-strangers sitting at the same lunch table.

 

“Haven’t decided yet,” the boy muttered between bites, and Jongin refrained from shooting him a look of disgust as a small piece of rice landed on his sleeve.

 

“Is there a reason to why you’re eating here?” Jongin blurted out before cursing inwardly. He still didn’t get that locker beside Kyungsoo’s; he was still supposed to playing nice.

 

The boy lifted his head and stared blankly at Jongin. Suddenly, he dropped his spoon onto the table and leaned back in his seat.

 

“Nope,” he said, “I just thought I’d keep you company since you seemed all lonely and sad by yourself. I’m nice, I know, get used to it.”

 

Jongin had to keep himself from giving the boy his resident ‘what-the--is-wrong-with-you’ look. He was supposed to be playing nice, goddammit, but it was becoming really difficult.

 

“Really now,” he gritted his teeth. “I have friends, don’t worry. They’re just away at detention. No need for your so called niceness.”

 

The boy simply shrugged and picked up his chopstick, poking his sausage and stuffing it in his mouth.

 

“Fine, you got me. I was bored. My friends are , so I wanted to ditch them. I saw you. Decided why the hell not, I needed a place to eat anyway, and came over. You got a problem with that?”

 

“Do you always talk with your mouth full?” Jongin blurted once more. The boy gave him an unamused look before stuffing his mouth once more with a large spoon of rice.

 

“Yup, but you don’t seem the type to mind, and I’m not the type to hide who I am to impress strangers, so there you go - you get me, amazing and wonderful Byun Baekhyun who is now an essential part of your love life.”

 

“You’re just giving me your locker.”

 

“Aren’t I just great?”

 

Jongin sighed and turned off his phone, placing it on top of the table. There was no way he was going to be able to properly play his monster slaying game with such an annoying git across from him.

 

“So, Kim Jongin,” the boy continued, “tell me more about this crush of yours.”

 

“It’s really none of your business.”

 

“Uh, yes it is. I’m giving you my locker.”

 

Jongin ran his hand through his hair, chanting in his head to keep calm, keep his fists down, and reminding himself that annoying little er was probably not the best way to address the boy.

 

“His name is Do Kyungsoo. He’s the top in our grade and has been ever since he got here. He used to be my best friend, but something happened, I’m not quite sure what, that made him hate me. I’m trying to win him back.”

 

The boy let out a whistle. “Sounds like you’ve got it hard, man. He really did seem to hate you though. Maybe you should just let it go?”

 

Jongin frowned and let out a small growl, surprising the other.

 

“Look, I really don’t need another person to tell me that. Just switch ing lockers with me, get what you want, and back the off.”

 

“Gah, there we go,” the boy - what was his name again? -  grunted. “I’ve been wondering when you were going to stop playing nice.”

 

Jongin cocked an eyebrow. “What?”

 

The boy snorted before taking another bite. “I’ve been asking around about you. All I had to do was ask about the boy who’s apparently in love with a short, smart looking guy, and ta-da! I got your name straight away. But see, that’s not it. Apparently you’re supposed to be an arrogant, bullying who gets in trouble more than anyone else in the whole school. Naturally, I got interested.”

 

“So.....you decided to come and confront me. An arrogant, bullying .”

 

“Sounds about right,” the boy nodded and pointed his chopstick in Jongin’s direction, almost threateningly. “For the record, I’m not bullying material, so I wouldn’t go there. I’m a hapkido master.”

 

“How scary,” Jongin drawled. “I’m terrified, really, maybe you should go somewhere else? For my sake, please.”

 

“Oh, stuff it, love boy.”

 

Jongin crossed his arms and leaned back in his seat, narrowing his eyes.

 

“Am I even getting that locker?”

 

“Of course you are. I keep my promises, you know.”

 

“Seriously, Baekhee-”

 

“It’s Baekhyun!” Baekhyun screeched, “do not call me Baekhee.”

 

“Okay, alright, geez, overdramatic much?” Jongin muttered. “Anyways, my point is, despite whatever strange interest you may have in me, I’m much too busy with Kyungsoo at the moment and cannot be bothered with forming and maintaining any new relationships, friendly or not. So my point is - no, you cannot sit here any longer.”

 

Baekhyun looked up from his nearly empty lunch plate and gave Jongin an incredulous look.

 

“I don’t recall asking you for permission in the first place.”

 

“Baekhee-”

 

“Baekhyun, !”

 

Jongin winced and blocked his ear. “Oh god, my ear.”

 

“Serves you right,” Baekhyun huffed as he stood up. “I’m not staying here only to be insulted. I’m leaving. Catch you later, love boy.”

 

“Let’s just do this locker exchange and never see each other again, please?”

 

But Baekhyun was far gone, and Jongin groaned before slumping down, digging his head in his arms.

 

 

 

 

 

 

“So Kyungsoo-”

 

Before Jongin could even finish his sentence, Kyungsoo sprang up from his seat and pushed past him, practically running out of the classroom. Jongin sighed, debating whether he should go follow him or not, and when he was about step out he felt a hand pull him back.

 

“Hey, love boy.”

 

Groaning in frustration, he turned around to tell the annoying git once and for all to leave him the alone when he blinked in surprise and did a double take at the sight in front of him.

 

Baekhyun glowered at him, his hands on his hips.

 

“Your friends are complete .”

 

Jongin had to keep his jaw from dropping open. “What the hell happened to you?” He exclaimed, taking in Baekhyun’s disheveled hair, cut lip, and purple circle around his eyes. The boy looked like , and that was from Jongin who got into more physical fights than he could remember.

 

“I repeat, your friends are complete ,” Baekhyun grit his teeth and rolled his eyes, wincing at the sudden pain.

 

They did this to you?” Jongin asked, baffled at the idea. “But why?”

 

“I refuse to accept this as my fault,” Baekhyun protested and flailed his arms around, visibly flinching but continuing nonetheless, “I don’t know why you call them your friends, because even you, a supposedly arrogant, bullying could do better. I was minding my own business, about to go indulge in a wonderful cup of ice cream, when I bumped into them talking about you and Kyungsoo and okay, fine, maybe I could’ve kept my mouth shut, especially because it was five of them and one of me, but I’m just naturally nice, okay? So I told them to shut the up and this is what happened.” Baekhyun pointed at his bruised face.

 

“Uh-” Jongin gaped openly, still trying to process the story in his confused brain. Baekhyun sighed and dropped his hands, returning them to his hips.

 

“I’ll make this easier for you, love boy. You’re going to go to your friends right now, defend yourself and that crush of yours, and beat the out of them for doing this to me.”

 

“I am?”

 

“Yes, you are.”

 

With that, Baekhyun grabbed Jongin’s wrist and pulled him out, dragging him down the hallway. He led Jongin down an empty corridor and narrowed his eyes when he caught sight of a group of teenagers huddled together at the other end.

 

“Hey, dickheads!”

 

The boys’ heads snapped up, all eyes widening simultaneously to see the boy they had just beaten up dragging their friend over.

 

“Surprised I’m up and walking so fast, huh?” Baekhyun growled and halted, sending Jongin flying forward. He stomped his foot and sent Jongin a vicious glare. “Well, what are you waiting for?”

 

Jongin sighed and shook his head before straightening up to face his friends, who were still giving the two bewildered looks.

 

“So this annoying git tells me that you guys have been talking about me and Kyungsoo,” Jongin spoke, his voice quiet yet menacing. “And for a split second, I found myself actually wondering if I should believe him, a stranger I only met a couple days ago for a stupid deal, or you guys, my supposed friends.”

 

Jongin cleared his throat and stepped forward, eyes narrowing. “I choose him, ers.”

 

“Are you serious?” One of the boys spoke up, laughing a little. “What do you gain from choosing him over us, you moron?”

“I don’t gain anything,” Jongin hissed, “I just get to ditch a lot of useless, backstabbing pricks.”

 

Baekhyun grinned and stepped back, whistling as he watched Jongin jump forward, punching a couple guys to the floor. Jongin was a much better fighter than he had expected, and it was a pleasant sight to see the guys who had punched him get beaten up twice as bad. He nodded approvingly as Jongin straightened up, kicked the boys across the floor, and walked back over to him.

 

“Hapkido master, huh?” Jongin chuckled as he took his place beside Baekhyun, smirking down at him. “You’re just a weakling.”

 

“Shut it, love boy,” Baekhyun growled and kicked Jongin’s shin, sending him to the floor, “I was just outnumbered. I can easily take you on.”

 

“I’m so sure,” Jongin wheezed, still massaging his sore ankle. Baekhyun rolled his eyes but pulled Jongin back to his feet.

 

“Thanks, by the way.”

 

“Didn’t do it for you,” Jongin said as they began walking back to the main hallway, “they were talking about Kyungsoo. They deserved it.”

 

“So Kyungsoo is a danger zone for anyone, even your friends, isn’t he?”

“He’s a danger zone for even me,” Jongin grumbled. He suddenly spun around, and Baekhyun blinked in surprise when Jongin cleared his throat and began scratching the back of his neck sheepishly.

 

“I just thought I should say thank you,” he mumbled, “for sticking up for me and Kyungsoo. I don’t understand why you did it, but you still did, so thanks. You might actually not be so bad. Maybe.”

 

Baekhyun cracked a smile and cocked his head, crossing his arms in the process. “Don’t think you’re off the hook, love boy. You see this bruise? It’s going to ing last. You owe me big time.”

 

“Oi, don’t push it,” Jongin sneered, but sighed and shook his head. “Whatever. Call me when you decide what you want, Baekhee.”

 

“It’s Baekhyun, you ungrateful !” Baekhyun yelled, but Jongin sent him a quick amused look before running off.

 

 

 

 

 

 

“Okay, okay, so I think I might have an idea for what I want.”

 

Jongin sighed and dropped his fork back onto the salad bowl, glaring at the boy in front of him.

 

“This is the fourth time this week, you git.”

 

“It’s not my fault there’s so many things I want!” Baekhyun protested, leaning forward with an annoyed look. “Seriously, Kim Jongin. So. Many. Things.

 

“Then choose,” Jongin snapped, “at this rate, I’m never going to get that locker.”

 

“Oh, shush you,” Baekhyun waved his hand dismissively and slumped back down in his seat with a tired look.

 

“If you keep this up any longer, I’m just going to ditch that deal and go find someone else-”

 

“Yah, Byun Baekhyun!”

 

Baekhyun’s head snapped back at the sudden noise, and Jongin closed his mouth, eyebrows furrowing at being so rudely interrupted.

 

“What?” Baekhyun asked with a frown when he saw his group of friends sauntering over with large grins.

 

“We were wondering where you always ran off to during lunch,” one of the guys, black hair messy to the point that it even beat Jongin’s untamed hair, said cheekily, “you ditched us for this dude?”

 

“He has a name,” Baekhyun barked.

 

“Yeah, and it’s Kim Jongin,” another guy spoke up, looking down at Jongin with a look of distaste, “which baffles me even more. What are you doing here with him?”

 

“Making out. Duh.

 

Jongin snorted quietly as he caught sight of the look of pure horror crossing each boy’s face.

 

“Seriously, Baekhyun, let’s go-”

 

“Leave us alone, Dongmin. I was having a lot of fun. you.”

 

“That’s not funny,” the sternest looking boy spoke up, disapproval sketched clearly on his face and tone.

 

“You’re not funny,” Baekhyun shot back, rolling his eyes, much to Jongin’s amusement.

 

A boy sent Jongin an alarmed look before crouching down, leaning forward to whisper in Baekhyun’s ear.


“He’s Kim Jongin, you idiot,” the boy hissed, “he’s bad influence. You know about the things he does - he’s a bully, Baekhyun, so can you please use your brain for once and come with us? You hanging around him is giving me the nerves.”

 

Baekhyun glared up at the boy and pushed him away with a snort. “Love boy over there,” he said, pointing at Jongin across the table, “is nothing but a huge moron with a stupid crush. He’s not a bully,” Baekhyun bit his lips from bursting out in laughter. “So thanks guys, but I think I’ll be fine.”

 

“But-”

 

“He isn’t a bully,” Baekhyun affirmed with a stern look, “he’s stupid, sure, and does less than intelligent things, but he’s not malicious or cruel, and I can testify for him. And I rather like bothering him, so there’s that. Run along now. I really need to go back to kissing, boys.”

 

The boys let out a gurgling noise in unison, and gave Baekhyun one last pleading look before sighing and walking away. Baekhyun turned around to face Jongin with a victorious look.

 

“Aren’t I just awesome?”

 

Jongin crossed his arms and deadpanned. “They probably think we’re madly in love and having some heated affair.”

 

“We can blame it on our teenage hormones when the time calls for it,” Baekhyun said with a shrug. “For now, we need to focus on this deal we have here. The kissing will have to wait. Sorry, honey.”

 

Jongin frowned. “You aren’t coming anywhere near my lips. They’re reserved for Kyungsoo and Kyungsoo only.”

 

“Darn it. I am so jealous.”

 

“Oh my god,” Jongin threw his head back and sighed, ignoring chuckles coming from Baekhyun’s direction.

 

“Anyway, like I said, I decided what I wanted.”

 

“For real this time, right?” Jongin cocked an eyebrow. “Because if you’re not, I am going to dump this salad on your head and leave.”

 

“I’m serious. God, stop being so overdramatic,” Baekhyun scoffed.

 

“What is it, Baekhe-”

 

“Baekhyun, Baekhyun, Baekhyun, you tard.”

 

Sighing, Jongin nodded. “What is it, Baekhyun?”

 

Baekhyun leaned back in his seat with a large, mischievous smile.

 

“Whenever I need you to, whenever I’m in the mood, and whenever I want, you to go buy me a whole pint full of ice cream. With your own money and with no limit on time or other bull excuse you might pull out.”

 

“Ice cream?” Jongin questioned, “you’re going to make me buy you ice cream whenever you want? Dude, do you know how much a pint of ice cream costs?”

 

“I also know how rich you are,” Baekhyun narrowed his eyes. “Don’t say you aren’t going to do it. I still own the locker beside your precious Kyungsoo’s.”

 

“, fine, fine, I’ll do it.”

 

Baekhyun broke out into a large grin. “That’s great then! I knew you were a good guy.”

 

Jongin mumbled something incoherent, fingers fumbling with the fork and eyes looking half dazed.

 

“And I believe this is where I take my leave,” Baekhyun took a look at Jongin and stood up slowly. “I’ll see you around, love boy.”

 

Jongin’s head suddenly snapped up and he sprang forward, grabbing Baekhyun’s wrist. “What the , dude? Where’s that locker combination?”

 

“I’m not going to give it to you now,” Baekhyun said with a scoff and pulled his wrist away. “Come to my locker tomorrow before the first bell rings. We’ll switch then.

 

“Tomorrow? Why?” Jongin asked, although it came out as more of a whine. Baekhyun rolled his eyes and flicked Jongin’s forehead.

 

Because I want to see the look on Kyungsoo’s face when you open the locker. It’s going to be splendid, I just know it,” Baekhyun said gleefully as he waved one last time at Jongin and practically skipped out of the cafeteria. Jongin stared at him leave and groaned, burying his head in his arms.

 

“I have made friends with a freak. My life is so screwed.”

 

 

 

 


 

so....uhh....they insult each other. a lot. that shouldn't be a surprise.

 

Baekhyun's sassy ever since he was 14, and Jongin was always....Jongin.

 

Kyungsoo, though, ugh. the pain