Chapter 2- Naeun

Are You Inhuman

The moment the alarm went off, I sat up in bed and punched the thing off. It took me a moment to realize I was no longer in Seoul, but back home. I immediately cleaned up and went to the kitchen. As expected, Taemin was already up, quickly making breakfast and getting ready for work.

Since he was sixteen, Taemin had been working as an assistant for Dr. Lee, the only doctor available in our small town. 

Seeing him like this made me depressed all over again. Getting expelled meant no secure job and no way of helping him economically. 

"Breakfast's ready. Waffles, your favorite," Taemin said after noticing my presence. I muttered a thanks before digging into my meal. By now, I could feel he was finally going to speak up about my problem

"Naeun-ah, if you don't want to attend college in the city, we have to figure out another way."

I glumly nodded. "For now, I'll work part time at the library. I'll try to apply for another school, promise."

Getting no response from him, I felt slightly relieved. Being silent was Taemin's way of saying "Ok".

"Remember to buy those groceries today. I already wrote you a list." he reminded me before clearing his plate and leaving for work. 

For the next few hours, I decided to give our cramped home a thorough cleanup. I then got changed, took the note with the list of groceries, and headed towards Shinee's. 

Feeling somewhat tired, I was glad the marketplace today was not so clamorous. Glancing at the note, I smiled after reading what Taemin had wrote. He explained how because he had recently gotten his paycheck, the menu today included Korean beef.

After twenty minutes of buying the necessary items, I finally exited the shop and decided to walk around. Nearing a familiar bakery, I planned to buy something for Soojung when she comes over today. Unexpectedly, when I got there, I was faced with a commotion caused by none other than...wizard dude. He was still in the same outfit and still looking very worn out. But hey, at least he isn't lying on the ground inert. He was in fact, being throttled by the bakery owner. They seemed to be fighting over a loaf of bread. When the owner noticed me watching, he loosened his grip on the guy, giving him an opportunity to dash away.

"Kids these days. Didn't his parents teach him to pay for his food?" the old man muttered before turning to me. "Sorry about that. How can I help you today?"

I looked behind me and saw wizard dude running to an alley before following the owner inside. I ordered Soojung's favorite cupcakes, paid for them, and curtly turned to head outside. Before I had a chance to get out, however, the owner called out. "Miss, you gave me an extra five dollars."

"Keep it," I told him.

He laughed awkwardly, pulling back the bills he was handing out. "You're so generous, thank you."

I nodded. "You're welcome. I'm only helping out someone not generous enough to give away one loaf of bread."

Annoyed, I briskly walked out and headed towards home. When I passed the little alley next to the shop, I took a brief glance and found him peering back at me. The bread was gone, so I assumed he had already finished it. He looked at me for another few awkward moments before shifting his gaze over to the bags of food I was carrying. At that time, I was sure he was just another homeless teenager in need.

Continuing to walk away, I had no feelings of pity or guilt whatsoever. It wasn't my problem, and I didn't have time to help him anyway. My steps quickened when I realized I also had to visit the library after dropping the groceries off at home. Strangely, I felt a presence behind me and whirled around. He was following me.

Seeing that I had stopped walking, the boy also paused and stared at me unblinkingly. I glared back, trying to show him my distaste. He surprisingly took a step back. Momentarily satisfied, I continued on only to hear his footsteps trailing behind me again. I thought it was best to ignore him. He would probably stop after realizing he couldn't get anything out of following me anyway. When I got home, I quickly stacked the food in the refridgerator and didn't forget to leave a note for Taemin. Since our local library was quite far, I decided to use my bike instead of walking.

Once outside, I stopped in my tracks when I found the weird guy still positioned next to our gate. How stubborn. Not knowing what else to do, I merely got on my bike and rode away, without looking back.

***

"I'm back," I called out, taking off my shoes and noticing that Soojung's boots were also there. Taemin welcomed me with a smile and asked if I got things settled at the library.

"They accepted me," I told him happily. When I went into the living room, I found Soojung there, as expected. She sitting cross legged on the floor, eating the cupcakes I got her. Next to her sat...

"What is that thing doing here?" I exclaimed, not being my usual calm self.

"Naeun! You're back. And are you asking about him?" Soojung answered brightly, "He's Myungsoo. Taemin found him outside our house when he got back from work, so we let him in."

"His name is Myungsoo?" I said, taking a seat on the armchair.

"Nope. But when I asked him, he doesn't answer. So I named him Myungsoo. It means "bright river", since he's very handsome."

"He's the guy I saw yesterday," I muttered. It was starting to get creepy he could stare at me without blinking for so long.

"Really? That's great!" Soojung grinned, handing Myungsoo yet another cupcake. He sure was hungry. The thing was eaten in an instant, causing Soojung to chuckle some more.

I cleared my throat. "We can't keep him here."

"Why not?"

"Ask him where his house is, his family's phone number and stuff."

Soojung sighed. "But that's the thing. I tried asking him already, but he doesn't know."

I frowned. "Is he mentally disabled?"

"Don't say that! He seems fine, just really shy. Anyway, Taemin said he can stay."

"What?!" I asked, deeply irritated by this news. Taemin, who had heard my shriek from the kitchen, poked his head in. "It's just for now ok?"

I sighed and stared at Myungsoo quietly munching on his cupcake. The realization hit me and I was frustrated with myself for actually calling him that.

"Stop staring," I told him. To my disbelief, he actually obeyed and switched his focus to the cupcake. Feeling flustered, I then went to the kitchen and helped Taemin prepare tonight's dinner.

***

"Myungsoo do you like Korean beef?" Soojung said excitedly. The four of us were settled at the dinner table, with me and Taemin on one side, and Soojung and Myungsoo on the other. I wanted to put as much distance between him and me as possible.

Instead of answering, Myungsoo simply nodded. During the entire meal, I kept my eyes on my plate and only glanced up occasionally. Soojung and Myungsoo seemed to match well. She was childish and dynamic while he merely shook his head or nodded at anything she said. He, also like Soojung, gobbled down everything placed on his plate without needing any rest in between.

The real problem arose later that night after Soojung had departed for home with Taemin. After cleaning up our dinner, I tossed Myungsoo a towel and said rapidly, "Taemin's room is on the left down the hallway. In the second drawer you'll find clothes that might fit. The bathroom is next to his room. After that, you can sleep on the couch. There's already a blanket and pillow there."

I didn't bother to wait for his response and went to my room, shutting the door tightly.

***

The next morning, I woke up earlier than usual to get ready for my first day of work. It was just like a typical normal morning, except that there was Myungsoo. Honestly, he looked much better with his face and hair clean, but that didn't change anything.

When breakfast was finished, Taemin and I went outside and said our goodbyes before heading off. As I was getting my bike, however, I realized Myungsoo had followed us out.

"Go inside," I told him. Myuungsoo didn't budge. He just stood there and looked from Taemin to me.

Taemin laughed and said, "Let him come with you. He can just read or something while you work. He can use my bike, I don't need it now anyway."

I wasn't very keen on this idea, but I didn't want to waste more time standing here, so I agreed. I started off on my way and didn't bother to check if he was following behind. When we reached the library, Myungsoo followed what I did and got his bike locked in place.

For the rest of the afternoon, I worked at the counter and occasionally went around to organize the books. I didn't care what Myungsoo was up to, just glad he wasn't in my way. Things were going fluidly until two days later.

That afternoon, the weather was exceptionally cold, which I guessed was the reason why the library was almost completely empty. Without having anything to do, I was suddenly curious and decided to look for Myungsoo. I soon after found him sitting comfortably in a corner, a high stack of books piled up in front. At a closer look, I realized they were all children's picture books. I then awkardly went over and sat across from him.

"Do you like these picture books?"

He looked up startlingly and gave me one of those stares again.

"I can't read."

It was the first time I heard his voice and I was surprised at how ordinary it sounded. My thoughts slid into confusion. It was impossible that he couldn't read, considering how he looked to be around my age, unless he didn't attend school in the first place. I wanted to ask him to confirm this assumption, but decided against it.

"Um, can I ask you something else?" I paused. "Where's your home? Wouldn't your parents be worried if you keep staying here?"

He set his book down, looked up, and creased his eyebrows, seemingly to be in deep thought for a moment.

"I don't know. I can't remember them at all," he finally replied.

Excuse the weirdness in this chapter. I'm seriously a noob when it comes to this genre. But I stayed up all night finishing it, so hope you enjoyed. Comments are much appreciated!