Okay.

Okay.

The silence in the learning room is almost comforting for Kyungsoo. Even though it is quiet without cheers of child patients, the colourful drawings pasted on the wall and the soothing music that plays in a low volume create a nice, calming atmosphere.

 

Kyungsoo is a therapist working in a mental hospital. His job is to help the patients, specifically the ones who are slow in learning or the ones who are recovering from trauma. He loves to help people. He loves to make changes in other peoples’ lives. Good changes, that is. Everytime he helps someone and sees a significant change, Kyungsoo couldn’t help but to have that sense of pride and happiness.

 

This time Kyungsoo is in a session with one of the older patients. His name is Park Chanyeol. 26 years old, university graduate, got into an accident, had memory loss, and lost his ability to, well, think like a normal person he used to be. He has really boyish looks for a person at that age, but Kyungsoo doesn’t mind. He learns how to count the very slowly, mouth open with awe when Kyungsoo tells him that no, Chanyeol, when John gives two apples to Annie when he had five of them in his basket then he’ll have three left. Chanyeol is quite fond of going out for walks around the hospital’s park. Sometimes he’ll point out at an object and Kyungsoo will gladly tell him what it is, even if Chanyeol didn’t ask.

 

Chanyeol’s friends who come to visit him tells Kyungsoo that Chanyeol is a really talkative person, always having that exciting energy, loud booming voice and obnoxious laughter and all. But that was the old Chanyeol. The Chanyeol he meets on a daily basis is quiet, shy, and agrees to almost anything Kyungsoo says.

 

Kyungsoo is looking at Chanyeol now, eyebrow raised into a challenging manner when he raises up his drawing, displaying a colourful sketch of a house with two dogs. “What can you see in this picture, Chanyeol?” he asks.

 

Chanyeol stares at the drawing with confusion plastered on his face. Kyungsoo waits, though, because he believes in Chanyeol. After 2 minutes of silence, Chanyeol’s eyes spark and he grins when a lightbulb pops out on top of his head.

 

“One house, two dogs.” Chanyeol replies slowly with his deep voice. Kyungsoo smiles widely and reaches out to ruffle the taller man's hair. “You’re good at this now, eh?” Chanyeol gives him one of those shy smiles that Kyungsoo finds very endearing.

 

“Now, why don’t you draw me a picture and I’ll guess it.” Kyungsoo pushes a blank white paper and the crayons basket towards Chanyeol. The other male grabs the red crayon and looks up to Kyungsoo, who is looking at him. “Don’t look.” he says.

 

“Okay then.” Kyungsoo chuckles and he turns so that his back is facing Chanyeol. He hears the sounds of Chanyeol scribbling something furiously. He must be colouring. Chanyeol has always liked the drawing activities.

 

“Done!” he says enthusiastically. Kyungsoo turns his body again and his stomach is filled with a pleasant warmth when Chanyeol shows him his drawing.

 

It’s a huge red heart, in between two stick figures. Kyungsoo figured out the one on the right is him after noticing the heart shape on the stickman’s face which is probably his lips.

 

“Guess.” Chanyeol says when he attempts, attempts to do a challenging smirk. Which is Super Cute in Kyungsoo’s opinion. Sometimes Kyungsoo tends to forget that Chanyeol is a grown up man.

 

“Hmm, let’s see.” Kyungsoo rubs his chin while looking at the drawing intently. He might have an idea of what it is, but he won’t attempt to answer, because he likes hearing Chanyeol talk about his drawing, no matter how silly it is.

 

“I don’t know, Chanyeol. Why don’t you tell me what it is?” he folds his hands on the pale green table and smiles softly at his patient. Chanyeol pouts, red blush creeping onto his cheeks when he fidgets with his drawing.

 

“Me, Chanyeol.” he points to the tall looking stickman. “Heart. Very big heart.” his fingers slide to the big red heart. “You. Doctor Kyungsoo.” and he taps the drawing of the short stickman with a heart shape in his face.

 

“I heart you, Doctor Kyungsoo.” he murmurs.

 

Kyungsoo’s face flares from mild embarrassment, but mostly he’s just really happy. He acknowledged that Chanyeol is sometimes very touchy-feely, but he never expressed his feelings through words. Its mostly through gentle, fleeting touches on his arm or sometimes a sweet smile but no words.

 

“That’s very sweet of you, Chanyeol. Now, let’s do some reading of your favourite flash cards, then we can take a walk at the garden and talk, okay?” Kyungsoo squeezes the larger hand that has found its way to intertwine with his smaller one.


“Okay.”