Chapter 4

Journals

Dear Diary,

It’s 10am. Last night the power went out due to a thunderstorm. I woke up around 3am to the sound of Blondie whimpering at my doorway. Turns out she’s scared of thunderstorms. I told her to come lie in my bed. We talked for an hour and a half. She’s really nice and cute. The power came back on and she went back to the living room to sleep. I wonder if she’s awake right now. I’ll write in you soon.

-Nana

I put my journal in the drawer of my nightstand and get out of bed. I stretch and walk towards the bathroom. After I finish doing my morning routine I head on over to the living room. Blondie’s awake, she’s lying on the couch playing with her phone. I smirk and walk over to the couch.

“Good morning,” I say as I sit on the armrest.

Lizzy quickly sits up.

“M-Morning,” she stutters.

“Did you sleep well last night?” I ask.

She nods. “Thanks for letting me stay here. I hope I wasn’t a bother.”

“Not at all. If you wanna freshen up, the bathroom is right beside my bedroom.”

She smiles and goes to the bathroom.

I check my phone and see two missed calls, one from Uee and one from Jooyeon. Oh god, what did they do? I call Uee first.

“Nana!” she answers after the first ring.

“Hey, what’s up?” I ask.

“Jooyeon came in my room around 6am last night,” she says.

“Why?”

“She said she couldn’t sleep. She mentioned the kiss.”

My eyes widen. “What’d she say?”

“She said she couldn’t stop thinking about it,” Uee says slowly.

“Then what?” I ask curious.

“I told her I couldn’t stop thinking about it either. Then she…leaned over and kissed me.”

I jump up from the couch and laugh.

“Uee, that’s so cute! What happened after that?” I ask excitedly.

“She told me she has feelings for me and I told her that I had feelings for her too,” she says happily.

“Uee I’m so happy for you!!”

“Thank you Nana. We have a date tomorrow, it’s just coffee but it’s something,” she says.

I smile from ear to ear. “I hope your date goes well.”

“Thanks. I’ll talk to you later, bye.”

“Bye Uee,” I say before I hang up.

“Did something good happen?”

I quickly turn around to see Lizzy standing in the middle of the living room.

“Yeah, my two friends finally got together,” I say.

“Awh that’s cute,” she says.

“Do you have class today?” I ask.

“Mhm, but it’s an afternoon class,” she replies.

“Mine too. Do you wanna go grab breakfast?”

She smiles. “Sure.”

We make our way to this cafe down the street from my place.

“Do you come to this café often?” she asks as we sit at a table.

I nod. “Usually I just get things to go and eat it on my way to school.”

The waitress comes and hands us two menus.

“What do you usually get?”

“I like their pancakes or their waffles,” I say.

“Hi are you ready to order?” the waitress asks.

“Can I have the blueberry waffles with a scoop of vanilla ice cream?”

“Yes, of course,” the waitress says as she writes Lizzy’s order down on her notepad. “And for you?”

“Can I get a crepe with chocolate spread?”

The waitress nods as she writes it down. “I’ll be back with your orders.”

She takes our menus and leaves.

“I like this place. It’s cozy,” Lizzy says as she looks around.

Our food comes and we start to eat.

“You’re right, the waffles are really delicious,” Lizzy says as she’s chewing.

I smirk. “I’m usually never wrong,” I tease.

“Is that so?” she asks arching an eyebrow.

I nod.

“We’ll see about that,” she says.

“What’s that supposed to mean?” I ask.

“One day, I’ll prove you wrong,” she says.

“Well until that day comes, I’ll continue being right.”

“We didn’t finish our game of 20 questions last night,” she mentions.

“Alright, let’s continue it. I believe you only asked me two questions,” I say as I put the fork to my lips.

“Let’s see…oh what are you studying?” she asks.

I smile. “Right, we haven’t even discussed school. I’m majoring in economics, I’m in my third year.”

“You must be good at math,” she says.

I shrug. “What’re you majoring in?”

“So this is your first question for me. I’m majoring in environmental science. I’m in my second year,” she says.

“I wanted to major in environmental studies, but I took econ first year and I loved it,” I explain.

“I love my program, I’m glad I chose it,” she says.

“Okay question number 4,” she says as she clasps her hands together and purses her lips in thought.

I sit back and smile at how cute she looks.

“What were you like in high school?” she finally asks.

“I had a good group of friends who I don’t talk to anymore since we all ended up in different places. I was a good student, didn’t really slack or anything. I partied a lot I guess, but I still do that,” I reply.

“Did you have a lot of admirers? Relationships?”

I chuckle, “Yeah I guess you could say I had a lot of admirers. I had quite a few relationships.”

“So you were popular?”

“Yeah, but I wasn’t those terrible mean girls, I was just popular.”

“What’s your most memorable moment of high school?” she asks.

I look at my plate as I think about my most memorable moment of high school. That’s actually a hard question. I look up to face her.

“Probably the first time I fell in love,” I say quietly.

“Details,” she says curious.

“Um…there’s not much to say. I was in the 11th grade and there was this girl in my biology class. She was beautiful. We started talking and we both ended up liking each other. We started dating and soon enough we were in a relationship. I was head over heels for her.”

Lizzy looks at me with a somber look. “How long were you two together?”

“A year. We broke up when we started grade 12,” I say.

“How come?”

“I cheated on her with someone else,” I mumble.

“Oh…”

“I was young, I didn’t know better,” I say.

“Do you regret it?” she asks.

“A part of me does, but a part of me is glad I did that because you learn from mistakes,” I explain.

She nods slowly.

“What time is it?” she asks.

“Is that one of the questions?” I laugh.

She laughs. “No that doesn’t count, we’ll finish the 20 questions game though.”

“It’s almost noon. We should head to school,” I say.

We pay for our bills and walk out of the café. We head towards the parking lot of my apartment building. We walk to the bike rack and I hop on my bike.

“Want a ride?” I ask.

“It’s fine, I’ll just walk. It’s nice out today,” she says.

“Suit yourself. See you later Blondie,” I say as I speed off.