Chapter 3

Journals

Dear Diary,

I went to the library today and I saw Blondie there. We reached for the same book except she grabbed it out of my hands. I’d already read it so I told her to take it. We talked for a bit there then we went to the café to chat. She told me her roommate’s bf was over and they were ing things up so she ran out of there. I laughed and offered her to stay at my place tonight. She agreed. She’s sound asleep on the couch right now. I accidently said ‘wow’ when she walked out in my pj’s. I wanted to turn invisible at that moment. What is wrong with me? Anyway, I’m going to sleep good night.

-Nana

I place my journal on my nightstand and turn off my lamp to go to sleep.

I wake up around 3 am to the sound of whimpering. I turn around and see Blondie in my doorway. She looks scared.

“Hey, what’s wrong?” I ask as I sit up in bed.

Suddenly I hear a huge boom and a flash lights up the room. It’s a thunderstorm. I smile slightly.

“Are you scared of thunderstorms?” I ask trying not to laugh.

She nods embarrassed.

I scoot over on the bed and pat the empty place beside me. She smiles shyly and silently lifts the covers and sits on the bed.

“So you can’t sleep through thunderstorms?”

She shakes her head and bites her bottom lip. She’s pulled the blanket up to her chest as if the blanket will protect her from the lightening. The sound of thunder blares through the sky. She slightly jumps in her spot. I turn my body completely to face her. I cross my legs and put my hands in my lap.

“I got an idea,” I say.

She turns her head towards me with slight curiousity.

“What?” she says.

“Let’s play a game.”

“What kind of game?” she asks.

“We’ll pretend we’re pirates lost at sea and there’s a huge thunderstorm and we’re trying to navigate our way through it,” I explain.

She grins from ear to ear and laughs. It’s probably one of the most beautiful things I have ever witnessed in my life.

“What’s so funny?” I ask.

“The fact that you have a nice imagination. Most people our age would’ve played a drinking game but you wanna play make believe. It’s cute.”

I feel myself blushing. I rub my neck from embarrassment and chuckle.

“Well we could drink if you want,” I reply sheepishly.

“No, no! I like your idea,” she reassures me.

“Alright,” I begin to say but my phone starts to ring.

I pick up my phone on the nightstand and answer, “Hello?”

“Nana? I hope you’re not asleep,” the person says on the other end.

I sigh. “Uee, if I were asleep would I have answered the phone?”

“I was just wondering if you had power ‘cause I don’t,” she says.

“The lights were all turned off to begin with. Hold on let me check.”

I get up and walk over to the light switch I flick it on and off a couple times.

“I guess there’s no power here either,” I reply.

“Jooyeon and Jungah also have no power. They messaged me saying they were coming over, but it’s gonna be so awkward especially if Jooyeon told Jungah about the,” she pauses and whispers, “kiss.”

I smirk. “Who cares? Just act like how you usually do around them. Be normal.”

“Easy for you to say since you’re not in my situation,” she says.

I hear a doorbell ring through the receiver.

“They’re here! I’ll talk to you later!” Uee whispers and hangs up.

“Bye?” I say to the dial tone.

I walk back to my bed and sit on the edge.

“Sorry ‘bout that, my friend is having a little drama,” I explain.

“It’s fine.”

“Should I go look for some candles?” I ask.

“I-I’ll come with you. I don’t want to be in here alone.”

“Let’s go then.”

She gets up from the bed.

“Um, do you have a flashlight?” she asks.

“Yeah.” I turn on the flashlight app from my phone and we walk to the hall closet.

She clings close to me the entire time. I open the closet door.

“They should be in here somewhere,” I mumble.

“AH!” Lizzy screams and jumps as a huge clap of thunder rumbles through the sky.

I turn around startled by her scream.

“You okay?” I ask genuinely worried.

She nods her head slightly.

“Did you find the candles yet?” she asks breathlessly.

“No, I don’t think I have any,” I say as I continue searching through the closet. I turn back around to face her. “I have no candles.”

We start walking back to my bedroom when we hear a clang in the kitchen.

“What was that?” Lizzy asks.

“I’m sure it’s nothing,” I reassure her.

We hear another clang.

“A-Are you sure it’s nothing?” she whispers frightened.

We start to walk towards the kitchen. Lizzy is clinging onto my arm. I take a peak around the corner.

“Nobody’s in there,” I inform her.

“Are you sure?”

I take a step inside my kitchen. A few plates fell into the sink from the counter. I shine my flashlight around and see nothing.

“I’m guessing the plates just fell. Come on let’s go to sleep before we become more paranoid,” I say.

We walk back to my bedroom. I leave the flashlight app on from my phone. We’re lying in bed both of us staring up at the ceiling. I doubt she’s asleep.

“You asleep?” I ask breaking the silence.

“Hm, no. I’m awake,” she replies.

“Since we both can’t sleep let’s play 20 questions,” I suggest.

“Okay. Should I ask you questions first?” she asks.

“Uh sure.”

“First question, what’s your favourite colour?” she asks.

“I like all colours but if I had to choose one I’d pick purple,” I reply.

“Purple’s a nice colour,” she comments. “Next question, have you ever had any pets?”

“I had a dog before when I was in elementary school except he got really sick and passed away.”

She turns to face me. “Do you miss him?”

I turn to face her. I smile and nod.

“What was his name?” she asks.

I chuckle, “The name is childish but I was young back then. I named him Happy.”

Lizzy smiles. “That’s a really cute name. Is it because he made you happy?”

“Yeah,” I respond.

The thunder and lightening have stopped, now it’s just raining.

“I wonder if the power’s back,” I say.

I walk over to the light switch and flick it on. The room lights up.

“Finally. Now I can leave you alone so you can sleep,” Lizzy says.

“You weren’t bothering me, don’t worry,” I assure her.

She stands up from the bed. “Well good night,” she says.

“Good night,” I say before she goes to the living room.

I turn off the light and look at the clock on my nightstand. It’s 4:30 in the morning. I text Uee to tell her that my power is back, she replies with: Lucky! Mine is still out. Joo and Jungah are still here; they’re staying the night.

I type up a reply and click send.

Well at least it’s nighttime and you will be sleeping so things won’t be awkward.

My phone vibrates. I open Uee’s text.

That’s true. I’ll see you tomorrow goodnight.

I send a good night text and quickly fall asleep.