One

The Ice Queen and the Jester

"Good morning Sarang." My father said enthusiastically as I walked down for breakfast. 

"Hi Appa." I replied. 

"Short and to the point. Nice." He chuckled. I just nodded as if I cared. "Well Um... Off to school?" I could see he was trying to start a conversation. I just nodded again. 

"Okay, well um, I'd like for you to come home early today, okay? I have an anouncement." He grinned, and ofcourse I just nodded. 

My father and I weren't always this awkward. At one point he was my favorite person in the world. But that all changed. It was after Omma left that our relationship began heading south. We were like a book, Appa the cover, I the pages, and Omma the binding. After she left. This perfect little family of ours began falling apart. Of course I didn't blame Appa for the divorce. I knew Omma wanted to leave. She couldn't handle Appa's workaholic lifestyle anymore. When I was 13 they tried to keep Omma's affair a secret from me. But I wasn't stupid. I could tell Omma was having an affair. She was always going places, when before she never left the house. I blamed Omma for everything. But I knew I really couldn't because she had fallen out of love with Appa, and what could I do when my mother loses her feelings, and no longer feels the same for the most important man in my life.

Appa, he was different. He was too in love with Omma. After she left, he locked himself up in his room for a long time. The only time I saw him come out of his room was to get beer from the fridge, or to eat. But a year passed and he began coming out more, and he started going to work instead of working from his room. Appa became even more of a workaholic after Omma left. He began dating different women, replacing his love for Omma with a different woman. And I began to realize it as each woman would introduce herself to me. Appa pulls out that same line "I have an anouncement." I got so use to it that I'm pretty much immune to the phrase. What I don't understand is, how could Omma leave Appa. He was handsome. Kind, gentle, caring, and affectionate. He had a great job and he had money. What woman wouldn't want that? We weren't so rich that we could own a lambo, or a ferrari. No. We had just enough money to put us in Upper class section on the economic and social ladder.

Omma left after the divorce... She didn't even bother to fight for my custody. She left for Italy with her boyfriend. Ever since then, I just cut all ties with her. Appa use to encourage me to talk to her, but he gave up after a few years of trying. 

 

I stood up, bid Appa a goodbye and headed out to my car. I peeled out of the driveway and headed towards school.

I pulled into the student parking lot with giant letters that read: Seoul Acadamy. The top private school of the rich and elite in all of South Korea. How I got in, that's thanks to my Omma... Her father; My grandfather is the dean of the Acadamy. After the divorce I wasn't the only one that cut off all ties with my mother. Her own father did also. He said she brought shame and dishonor to the family. He loved Appa and I. He liked Appa because he was kind and caring, and also a great businessman. 

I walked into the school and headed towards my locker. I notice the usual groups of cliques gathering around eachother through out the halls. You had your jocks, all of whom had to be goodlooking for some screwed up reason. Your cheerleaders that were gathered right next the the jocks. The usual geeks. Fashionistas. Rebels. Emos. Obsessed Sasaeng fans, that all they did was talk about kpop. The Musicians (Ultimately the most popular group at school). Filler groups (random groups of random people). Then there was The loners. That's where I fit in. The Loners... We never interacted with any of the cliques. We were off by ourselves most of the time. I didn't mind it though, I liked being alone. 

I gathered what I needed from my locker and headed off to class. I walked in and sat by the window. I liked sitting by the window. It felt like an escape from the dull and boring classroom. 

I pulled out my headphones and pulled up an R&B playlist, and opened my notebook to finish yesterday's math homework. I heard the bell ring, and pulled out my headphones, and tucked it away in my bag. As I was working on my homework I heard loud laughing as someone entered the classroom. I looked up. 

It was him, he was a part of the Musician clique. Although I didn't know much about them, nor did I care to. He seemed different. 

The girls in the room swarmed around them and began flirting with them as they sat down. There were 3 of them. Chen, Baekhyun, and Chanyeol of Exo; a clique that was within the Musicians clique. 

I made eye contact with the guy that laughed loudly... Chanyeol. I quickly turned my attention back to my homework and ignored the chaos in the room. 

The day went on as it usually and normally does. I went from class to class. It wasn't until lunch that my normal schedule was screwed up. 

I was sitting in the courtyard reading and chomping down on my sandwich when I sensed a figure sit down next to me. I ignored it, hoping the person would eventually leave but they didnt. I looked up and found myself looking at none other than Chanyeol. I stared at him, waiting for him to leave. But he just sat there happily chewing on his lunch. I decided to ignore him and continue with my book. That was until....

"So, what's your book about?" I heard him say. I've always heard him talk, especially in class. But something about the way that his question was directed to me, and only me, made the hairs on my back stand up. I kept a stoic face and answered him. 

"Death." I replied, my attention still on the book. My eyes were on the book and on the words. But my mind was somewhere else completely. I wasn't even paying attention to the book anymore, but pretended like I was. 

"Mmm... Cool... Is that all it's about?" He asked again. I nodded. 

"Okay, well... Umm... My name is Chanyeol." He randomly said. I nodded... Again.

"And your name?" He asked. 

"It's irrelevent to you." I peeled my eyes from my book and stared at him. My face was calm and still. I realized how different he had looked up close. His red hair hung right above his square framed glasses, and his pouty lips that were so voluptuous. His eyes seemed wider and warmer. And his jaw... It was so perfectly chiseled. The look on his face changed into a surprised look. 

"It's what?" He asked. 

"You know, you ask a lot of questions." I boldly stated. He scoffed at me. Aish, Sarang! Why did you say that! No... You and your stupid mouth.

"Well sorry, I was just trying to get to know you. Geez." He said looking away. 

"Well don't, there's no need for that." I said. Ugh, I mentally slapped myself. He looked at me with judgement in his eyes. I stood up and walked away. 

"Ugh, pabo..." I mumbled to myself. 

______________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

I was laughing at Baekhyun because of his stupid joke when the three of us walked into the class room. Girls began gathering around us. All but one. I watched as she brushed a strand behind her hair, and wrote down in her notebook. I was watching her when she looked up, and we both made eye contact. It felt so perfect... I knew that after that, I just had to know who she was. The day continued like usual. But I couldn't get her off my mind. I made my way to lunch, and sat down at our table. Kai and D.O. were fighting over food, that was when I saw her. Sitting outside in the courtyard, eating and reading a book. I felt a sudden smack on my head. I looked up and saw Baekhyun laughing. I gave him an ugly look. 

"Dude, go talk to her already." Baekhyun said. 

"I want to. I really do... But she's so... Quiet." I replied. 

"As if that's ever stopped you before." Tao chuckled. I pretended to hit him. Then scooped up my food and walked out to the courtyard. 

I sat down next to her. She didn't even move or look up. She just kept reading. I tried to find something to start the conversation. 

"So, what's your book about?" I asked lamely. I wanted to facepalm myself so badly. What kind of a question is that? Mental note to self, ask Kai later how to talk to girls. 

"Death." She replied. Death? Okay... Well at least she answered. 

"Mmm... Cool... Is that all it's about?" I asked.

She nodded. Man, talking to her is so hard. 

"Okay, well... Umm... My name is Chanyeol." I introduced. 

She nodded... Again. God damn, she sure knows how to kill a conversation. 

"And your name?" I asked... Again. 

"It's irrelevent to you." She said pulling her eyes away from her book and over to me. I just stared at her in disbelief. But I got a better look at her. She was... Pretty. Her eyes were soft and gentle. Her nose was cute and small. And her cheekbones were high and prominent. Her cheeks were a light flush of pink. It was probably blush. Where as was beautiful, yet venomous. 

"It's what?" I asked in shock and confusion. 

"You know, you ask a lot of questions." She said. I scoffed.

"Well sorry, I was just trying to get to know you. Geez." I said in disbelif and frustration. 

"Well don't, there's no need for that." And with that she stood up and walked away. I watched as her figure faded.

I stood up also and made my way into the cafeteria where my friends were sititng. I sat down and threw my head into my hands and just sat there. 

"Yo... You okay?" I heard Suho asking. I shook my head. 

"Yeah, we saw it all go down man..." I could Baekhyun saying, trying to stifle a laugh. 

"She's pretty, I'll tell you that." Baekhyun continued. I looked up and glared at him. I stood up to throw my lunch away and retreated to my class room. 

"Aish... She totally killed my mood." I mummbled as I made my way into History class.