Chapter 13.1

Moving on from Grief

  

Chapter 13


 

I'm apologizing in advance for the dancing aspects since I have no experience in dacing. Actually, I have no coordination at all. The floor is my best friend. And the wall. I watched the videos and I tried to make them seem the similar. So I'm sorry if the scenes seem stilted and unreal. I hope you are okay with them.

 


 

The sound of an envelope being ripped open and muffled prayers as the letter is unfolded fill the room. The rest of occupants ignore the daily ritual, half certain that this would also be another spam letter that would invoke eternal disappointment. They realize they are wrong when a shrill scream replaces the muffled prayers.

"We've been invited'' Yixing screams, causing Suho to jerk his head around in shock, and hurt his neck. Yixing wraps his arms around said boy, half strangling him to death in his excitement. Luhan merely raises an eyebrow, used to his friend's antics.

"Oh?" He asks, idly, focusing on the chess match in front of him. How on earth a fetus like Kim Sehun was beating him was completely beyond him. Luhan moves his pawn one square in an attempt to block Sehun's king from eating his queen. Kai shifts his head on Luhan's shoulder, uninterested in Yixing's excitement and adjusting himself into a more comfortable position, returning to his DS, concentrating on his Pokemon game that Luhan just cannot get the hang off and leaves Kai to his own devices when he gets absorbed in it.

"What were you invited to?" Tao is the one who asks, ignoring the groan that spills from Baekhyun's mouth which has detached itself from Jongdae's for the moment. “Tao-yah, we've only heard about it fifty million times. Why would you ask again? How can you not know?”

"Unlike you lot, I actually have normal human beings that  hang out with."

“I don't think he's talked about it that much,” Jongdae tries to do damage control when an irate Suho and an overexcited Yixing look in their direction, Suho scowling as he tries to contain the bouncing dancer. Jongdae had tried to tell Suho - before he decided that the man terrified the living hell out of him - that he was being overprotective when it came to Yixing but only got a bone wrenching chill that flashed in Suho presence installed in his spine in return for his valiant efforts.

"The EXOtica competition! Han-ah! We've been invited to participate again," Yixing cheers gleefully, twirling around the living room. "They must've liked the video we sent in!” Yixing is practically glowing in joy at the news, and he manages to convince Suho to share in his ecstasy and dance with him, twirling the shorter boy around the small space. That was not the sight any of them wanted to relive any time soon. Tao simply looks disgruntled, already used to the stupid things his hyung would do, annoyed by the ear splitting sound that left Yixing's body, half convinced that Yixing is really an alien because no human should be able to make those kinds of sounds, not without dying or with bodily harm at least. Alas, Tao’s dark eyed stare does nothing to deter Yixing, and he gives up on blocking the sound, and focuses back on Sehun's game, whispering moves into his ear.

Luhan abandons the losing chess game, and turns to stare at Yixing. "Give me the letter," he hollers, pitching after the dancing Yixing, ignoring the 'thunk' that Kai's head make when it hits the chair. Sehun raises an amused smile, silently pleased that Luhan would let that happen.

Baekhyun ends up with letter, and wiggles in his excitement. "Sit down, my darlings and I'll read it to you," he says, his voice a grand baritone,as he bounces on his toes. Jongdae rolls his eyes affectionately. Luhan merely rips the letter from his hand and begins reading it aloud.

Luhan feels the urge to cry overwhelm him, and he takes a deep breath. He feels Kai wrap his hands around Luhan's waist and hears Sehun’s whoop of excitement, arms flailing in the air as he looks on in disbelief. He can hear Chanyeol asking Jongdae what this was about. Luhan looks up, catches Yixing’s eye and breaks out in one of the biggest smiles he has sported in awhile.

“I knew my babies could do it,” Baekhyun crows, pulling both Luhan and Yixing into a hug. Jongdae settles for patting them on the back, and waits for Kai to get uncomfortable enough to wrangle Luhan's body from Baekhyun's tight grip.

To his surprise, it was Sehun who pulled Luhan away, so that he could get a congratulatory hug in. Luhan does not struggle as much in Sehun's hold as he had in Baekhyun's. If anything, he relaxes in Sehun's arms, head resting in the crook of his neck, eyes closed as he takes a deep breath. Jongdae sees the shiver run through Luhan's back when Sehun's voice rumbles out, the deep growl saying congratulations.

Jongdae lets out a sly chuckle.

Kai finally tugs Luhan away, securing the smaller boy against him, a scowl prominent on his face. His hands clench in Luhan's shirt, crinkling the fabric, as presses his congratulation into Luhan's skin. Neither see the twin scowls that bloom on Sehun's and Chanyeol's face.

Jongdae wonders if Yixing will work with him for his plan.

 


 

“We should include a girl in our dance.”

“I refuse to dance with a girl. I get nervous, and annoyed. Plus I don't like the dancer girls here. They're all snooty and they look down on me.”

"That's because most the guys think you're a girl and go for you instead of them."

"That is not my problem. The problem comes in when they decide they like my face enough to go gay for the night. Which means, it has nothing to do with the girls."

"Just your face."

"Oh shut up. What would you know? You're practically married."

"Please focus on the topic on hand instead of my very fulfilling relationship with Joonmyeon."

"Why can't you call him Suho like the rest of the people in this universe?"

"Because I'm his husband and I get to call him special names."

"But Joonmyeon is his real name..."

"So what are you going to do?" Suho coughs discreetly, his face turning a faint pink.

“So do we go the breakup scene? That way, we don't need girls. Or we could go gay couple routine but I ain't touching you for free.”

“Yah, the letter said a day in the life of a couple. A couple. That means two people who love each other. Not two lonely gay men who can't find it on themselves to dance with girls.”

“Nobody cares about your opinion, Baek,” Luhan says kindly. Tao bursts into peals of laughter after Luhan translates for him, the conversation more exaggerated than it had been and Yixing adds to the story, cooking up even more ridiculous ideas. Baekhyun only looks mildly offended before going with his lecture of how they knew nothing about being couples since none of them are in actual relationships. Suho does not even bother correcting him when Baekhyun raises his eyebrow at the small noise of indignation that he lets out. Suho is still afriad of Baekhyun after the 'Talk' he had been given, when he had started dating Yixing. Luhan had managed to up the ante, and Suho takes note to never be alone with the man if anything happens to Yixing or just be alone with Luhan in general.

Kai chuckles, his laughter rumbling through Luhan's body. Luhan wiggles slightly, settling back against Kai's chest. He traces the veins that criss cross through Kai's hands, lightly with the pads of his fingers, humming as he thinks. Kai presse him close, mouth tucked in his shoulder. He whispers cross dressing jokes that he reads of his phone, making Luhan giggle, and think that if Kai liked cross dressing so much, maybe Luhan could do a little something for him, on a day he was feeling particularly down.

The answer to their dancing problems comes from an unexpected place.

“Maybe you could dress up as a girl and you both could dance together as a couple. No girl that looks down on you and you won't look like a gay couple.”

Baekhyun Jongdae's hair thoughtfully, “that's actually a good idea.”

“Hey, I do have a brain, you know.”

“Which apparently conveniently forgot that a person shouldn't wear clothes that looks like a unicorn threw up on it.” Baekhyun ignores the whine that Yixing lets out, soothed by Jongdae.

“This is cool.” Chanyeol adjusts his green knee length khakis and tugs on his blue shirt, a pout on his face.

“Not with hot pink suspenders, it's not. And whoever gave you those glasses obviously had a grudge against you. It's like a neon sign saying, hey I'm gay and obviously single, so please come screw me.”

“I am not a neon sign! Am I?” Chanyeol looks to Sehun and Jongdae for assurance. The two smile, forced grimaces that seem to pacify the tall boy.

“Although with hair like that, it'll be a miracle if anyone even considers it.”

“I think it's nice,” Kai interrupts, his voice characteristically soft as he answers Baekhyun retort, much to the surprise of the room. "It's really soft. And it smells like peaches." Chanyeol looks baffled, wondering if Kai was confusing his hair with another's. The only shampoo Chanyeol used was the lavendar scented one. 

Baekhyun stays silent about Chanyeol's hair for the rest of the day, out of respect to Kai's first act of defiance.

Yixing considers Chanyeol's solution and decides he likes it. He figures that it would be an interesting twist and would give them an advantage. And he really liked the idea of seeing Luhan in a dress.

“Han-ah, you have to admit, you'd look great in a dress.”

“Why do I have to wear a dress? Why can't you?”

“You have a girly face. AND a girly body. You sure Kai isn't straight?”

“Screw you, Zhang Yixing. I hope Suho falls in a volcano.”

“Why would he be near a volcano?”

“That's where I'm going to burying your sorry if you call me girly again.”

“Riigghhtttt….sorry princess.”

Yixing is saved when Sehun intervenes with what he thinks is a brilliant idea.

“You can have back up dancers right?”

Luhan narrows his eyes, glaring at Sehun for interrupting what would have been a brilliant comeback. “What's your point?”

“What if both you and Yixing hyung were girls and me and Kai were the guys? Because, face it, me and Kai are pretty amazing and we've all danced together before. That would make it would be more focused on the ladies but in a more unconventional way…”

Sehun's voice trails off when he realizes that Luhan's eyes are boring into him, not with irritation or anger, as per custom when Sehun opens his mouth unless Luhan is feeling particularly happy that day, but with a thoughtful look.

Yixing looks delighted by the idea, and agrees to it, slapping away the feeble protests that Suho puts out. Luhan sighs and with an excited prod from Kai, gives in.

Sehun frowns when he realizes that Kai and Luhan are thinking about arrangements together, and tries to figure out a way to convince Luhan to partner with him. Sehun has not actually thought that far ahead in his plan, and he cursed himself for not planning ahead. Of course, he had been of the mind, that Luhan would say a few scathing words and crush his very fragile ego to pieces, after dismissing his idea and then Jongdae would come up with something totally brilliant that Baekhyun would love and proceed to force everyone into it.

Jongdae comes to the rescue when he says that Luhan and Yixing should draw lots for partners. He offers the hat, swiped off of Baekhyun's head, all protests kissed away, filled with hastily crumbled papers.

“One of these three fine gentlemen will be your dance partner for the remainder of the competition. Or rather for the whole of it since it hasn't started yet. Whatever it is. And since only one person needs to pick out of the hat, as the remaining two will pair up, I have decided with power vested in me, that it should be you. Protests will be directed to my loving partner, Byun Baekhyun.”

Suho visibly quells his grievances when Baekhyun offers him a sweet smile.

Luhan giggles and picks a paper, opening it, his face falling to a slight pout. “Kim Sehun,” he reads. Sehun, in his turn, tries to ignore the bitterness in his voice and grins, even glossing over the fact that Luhan had called him Kim again, his eyes turning into crescent moons that even Luhan cannot deny is endearing.

“Guess it's you and me Xiao Lu,” Sehun smirks at the frown that mars Luhan's pretty face at the nickname. “Xingie hyung told me about it.” Sehun can feel Luhan about to open his mouth and protest, saying that only Yifan and Yixing were allowed to call him that, is pleasantly shocked when Luhan shakes his head and offers him a wry grin. He can hear the faint mumble of ‘new memories,’ that seem to seep from Luhan and allows himself a little victory dance, that has Baekhyun staring at him weirdly.

Sehun finds out how evil Jongdae really is when he goes to empty the hat, with Baekhyun's shrill voice ringing in his ears, and realizes that all the slips of paper have his name with different last names. He supposes he should appreciate the fact that they do know his real name and deemed it worthy to be included. He half expected the last one to read Lu Sehun.

 


 

Luhan nearly cries when he peels the high heeled shoes from his feet, the sight of blisters forming around the band-aids that litters his ankle and toes reducing him to sniffles. He feels slightly better when he sees Yixing in the same predicament, his face hidden in Suho’s shoulder, the barely muffled whines ringing through the throbbing sensation in Luhan's head.

Gentle fingers rub his foot lightly, pressing more band-aids on blisters, fussing over bruises, ignoring the winces of pain that has Luhan kicking in revenge. Sehun grunts when one of Luhan's kicks connect to his ribs, hands holding down Luhan's legs, a scowl forming when he sees the blooming bruises that twine up Luhan's calves, and end at his knees. His fingers drifts over them gently, the odd smelling yellow ointment stinging the mottled skin, and makes Luhan scrunch his face into unattractive contortions

“You should be more careful, Xiao Lu.”

“Shut up, you stupid brat. You try dancing in high heels, then on your damned knobby knees, and be more careful.”

“But they make your legs look so pretty,” Sehun grins when Luhan tries to kick him again.

“I've had enough of this ty idea.” Luhan flops backwards, watching as Chanyeol rubs Kai's tired shoulders, Kai's head leaning back in Chanyeol's lap, his body relaxing under the taller boy’s ministrations. In a fit of irrational jealousy, Luhan stomps over, and plops himself on Kai's lap, his irritation growing when Kai shows no signs of shifting, simply wrapping his hands on Luhan's lap, adjusting the older male until he rests, with his back against Kai's chest.

Sehun moves over and quietly keeps his foot massage up, trying to keep his face blank. His urge to rip Luhan off of Kai's lap and manhandle him into his own running rampant, Sehun turns to his trustable hyung, and pouts at Jongdae, hoping that he would have something that could help Sehun. Jongdae, instead, flashes him a thumbs up and wiggles his eyebrows, Baekhyun at his side, glaring at him as though he could read Sehun's mind. Sehun should have known better than to trust Jongdae that much. He sighs, and returns to giving Luhan his foot massage, when an uncermonious kick has Sehun catching sight of Luhan's scowl.

“One more rehearsal before we film the dance tomorrow guys. Keep your spirits up. You can do this.” Suho is encouraging, his smile gentle. It is almost as if he was emitting calming pheromones that settles everyone's doubt and rage. “Come on, everybody up. Let’s do this.” Color Sehun shocked when Luhan agrees, and Yixing is the one cursing Suho.

Yixing climbs off his lap, and stands on wobbly legs, the sound of heels striking the floor, almost sending Luhan into tears. Sehun stands and offers Luhan a hand, which Luhan takes quietly, his body colliding with Sehun's as he stands, clutching onto the younger boy’s biceps as he struggles to hold himself up. When he is steady, Sehun leans down, lifting Luhan's feet, and sliding the wretched shoes on. He is almost sure that Luhan's eyes are glistening with tears when he stands again, and pulls Luhan to the designated spot.

Hyuna’s ‘Red’ booms from the stereo, the addictive beat that Luhan and Yixing automatically shimmying their hips to, the movements that countless rehearsals have drilled into them, ringing throughout the room, their blood starting to pump as the adrenaline starts rushing through them. Their legs move in sync as they flaunt their non existent assets, knees hitting the floor, as they roll their body in wave. Kai and Sehun glide in, hands sliding into the waiting hands, pulling the two boys up. Fingers grip waists as bodies swing together, the melody melded together with sweat and blood, forged in flickering lights, the sound of Jongdae, Baekhyun and Luhan's voices thundering through their veins.

Luhan twirls, his chest pressed to Sehun, brown eyes staring into dark ones, hands tightening in rainbow hair, while Sehun gripped his waist, their bodies rubbing together as they shimmy their hips against each other. Their breaths puff up in time with the tempo, and Luhan can't help but notice the fluttering lashes when Sehun leans his head back, leading Luhan in a dance of chase, lips in a teasing smirk that has Luhan's heart racing.

Luhan breaks away, and his hands run through his own hair, his face staring at him from the mirror. He sees Sehun come behind me, hands hovering over his shoulders as the dance continues, the movements slow and slick, and Luhan leans his head back finding the crook in Sehun's neck the perfect place to rest his head. His hands go back, gripping Sehun's, bringing them to his body, wrapping himself in them. Luhan's eyes drift close, as he feels Sehun's light puffs of air fan over his cheek, his hips gyrating in an obscene way.

He misses the way Sehun’s eyes darken, misses the scowl Suho shoots when Yixing and Kai dance forehead to forehead, misses the knowing look that Jongdae shoots him. All that surrounds him is the citrusy smell that Sehun's body seems to produce, and he is caught in the darkened eyes, the tongue that darts out to wet Sehun's lips. For a fraction of a second, Luhan wonders how it will taste.

When they break away, the duo stage coming up, Luhan finds himself taking huge gulps of air, as he starts dancing again, this time with hands tapping on his hips, big smiles, and kicked heels. Luhan feels ridiculous with the lightness of the dance, and finds himself turning, and twirling, his smiles becoming more genuine until they almost turn into a bout of laughter.

The song ends, and Luhan demands another rehearsal. They oblige him, running through the choreography, over and over again. Luhan never notices when one by one everyone drops into sleep, only pausing to start the music again, before the whirlwind of motion catches him again. He does not see the dark eyes watching him, seeing his shoulders sag with exhaustion, his legs shaking beneath him. Luhan is on his knees, crawling to the stereo, when the dam breaks open.

Sehun grabs his shaking hand, pulling him away from the stereo, sitting him firmly in his lap. His hands slide down, practically ripping Luhan's shoes off. Luhan struggles, wanting just one more round, and scratches Sehun.

“Xiao Lu!” The angry growl that reverberates through Luhan's bones stop him in his tracks, and he feels his body grow slack. “Are you trying to give me a heart attack?”

Luhan squeezes his eyes shut, the words, “I'm not sorry,” spilling from his lips, an automated response to a question he had long forgotten. Luhan wonders if his chest is caving on himself or if his lungs has forgotten how to pump air through his system, when he feels light headed and has to lay on the floor, in an attempt to get the oxygen back in his body.

“I know. Just, please don't push yourself too hard. What are you going to do tomorrow, when you won't be able to dance properly because you're too sore?”

“I'll be fine. Don't worry about me.”

“if not me, then who else? It's not like you worry about you yourself. I can't help but worry about you when you do worrisome things.”

“Shut up brat.”

Sehun is prepared to argue more, but is stopped short when he feels Luhan turn in his arms, face pressed against his shoulder. He can feel the fluttering of Luhan's lashes, the warm air that leaves his nose, and his arms encase Luhan, wrapping him tight against Sehun. With even breathing that indicates that Luhan has already fallen asleep, Sehun cannot help but settle back against the mirror, his own body curling around the smaller one in his lap, a protective force that lulls Luhan into a false sense of safety.

 


 

Sehun blearily blinks awake, nearly screaming when he sees the demonic face of Byun Baekhyun, pressing close to his. He ends up squeaking, his throat closing in terror, and he immediately presses closer to the warmth against him. A warmth that Baekhyun rips from him, despite the whining protests of the body involved.

Luhan sits up and immediately crawls back in Sehun's lap, hands clutching his shirt as he settles himself to get more sleep. The argument over his head grows louder and louder until it becomes impossible to ignore and he finally gives up on his precious sleep. With one eye cracked open, he sees a fuming Baekhyun being held back by Jongdae, and through the mirror he sees the way Sehun holds him against his chest, legs splayed on either side of Luhan, hand carelessly his hair, the other securely around his waist. Luhan's head rested on his collarbone, nestled comfortably, the caramel hair a contrast against the pale skin.

Luhan has never felt more comfortable than today. Luhan has forgotten that it was possible to feel this way, with the hard wood of the dance floor pressing against his sore body, and against the bony length that is Oh Sehun, and Luhan wonders what it would be like to wake up to this comfort everyday. 

He rubs his eyes, and feels Sehun's arm run down his arms. He wonders if it's his imagination when he feels Sehun press a light kiss into his hair, and decides to pretend that he does not see the way Sehun presses his face into Luhan's hair. He sees Jongdae snapping pictures, not only of Luhan, but of Kai, who was using Chanyeol as a giant pillow and was curled up against the taller boy. Said boy had a leg draped over Kai's waist, an arm under his head and one covering Kai's body. Jongdae squeals when Yixing yawns awake, emerging from cocoon of that is Suho and Baekhyun feels like shooting everyone for defiling his babies.

Baekhyun claps his hands together, ushering all of them to the bathroom, scolding them for oversleeping, undersleeping and for sleeping with undesirable people in general. He makes sure to stand watch as Kai, Luhan and Yixing shower first, manhandling them after their wash into the changing room, where he has a white cloth draped over a section of the locker room, in order to protect his lovely children from wandering eyes.

While they had been sleeping, Jongdae and Baekhyun had gone on a wild adventure, buying make up and clothes for the dance and were much more excited than Luhan was, when it came to trying them on. Luhan does not even want to know how Baekhyun knows his measurements.

Luhan has no idea why girls would put themselves through this as he wrestles into the leather pants that sits low on his hips, obstructing his ability to circulate blood into his legs, a red crop top with sleeves he can slide his thumb through exposing his belly, the chilly air blowing past his stomach making him shiver, and thinks as he looks in the mirror, that he would not mind if he looked this good every time, turning and twirling.

Baekhyun fusses over his hair, clipping in the red extensions, somehow making it look real on Luhan's head, and makes Luhan focus as he puts the make up on. Yixing gets similar treatment, his color of choice being blue, as Baekhyun nearly blows a vein when he tries to make them perfect. It takes Jongdae to drag a kicking and screaming Baekhyun with him, before Luhan and Yixing are allowed to venture from the changing room. While the two were used to Baekhyun's antics when it came to preparing for competitions, Luhan feels a slight twinge when he does not hear Yifan's booming voice ringing from the other side of the wall, trying to talk Baekhyun out of his more outrageous ideas but packs it away when he hears the whine of Sehun's ringing, demanding to know why Kai had better clothes than him.

Luhan's eyes are drawn to the dark fabric that clings to Sehun's legs, the tight jeans accentuating the very fine that Luhan has the urge to grab. The white shirt that Sehun has on has Luhan lips and his hands curl into Yixing's arm. The light yelp that escapes Yixing goes unnoticed, and Luhan digs his fingers a little deeper, before Yixing slaps his hands away. It is only when he hears Chanyeol's rumble of a voice complimenting Kai that Luhan can tear his eyes away. He swallows and rushes over to Kai, throwing himself against the tanned male, face buried in his chest. Kai knows, as he always does, and runs a comforting hand down Luhan's back, nuzzling his hair. He presses a light kiss to the corner of Luhan's lip, reveling in the brightness of his smile.

Sehun scowls and stomps his feet, garnering the attention from the room.

“Should we start?” Luhan blinks before bouncing back, hands working on the straps of his heels. Out of the corner of his eye, he sees Kai coming over to help him, at least he does, until a shadow looms over Luhan and the tall mass of Kim Sehun drops before him, hands slapping Luhan's away as he easily does the shoe up, motioning for Luhan's other leg. Luhan obediently straightens his leg, tossing a careless scowl to the smirking Kai, who waggles his eyebrows. Luhan makes a crude gesture towards Chanyeol, and Kai blushes, holding hands in mock surrender as the two begin to giggle.

All prepared and done up, the four wait for Tao to set up the camera, for Tao’s squeal of the right angle with perfect lighting to die down before they get into place. Jongdae starts the music and they move, Luhan and Yixing starting the dance while Kai and Sehun wait in the sidelines. They move, their bodies in sync, an almost ethereal quality surrounding them, the set of their mouth as their arms cut sharply through the air above them, legs slanting and when they fall to their knees, Sehun and Kai glide in and it feels like coming home, with hands that rest on waist in a familiar weight that presses against them in comfort.

Luhan forgets everything when he dances, always focused on one thing. Before it had been Yifan with Kai clouding his mind for a brief period of time, but now Sehun permeates his mind, the heat from his body flowing into Luhan's skin, a searing mass that writhes against him, and Luhan loses himself in the sensation.

Luhan always dances best when he is lost in his own world. And this time is no exception.

When the video rolls back, Yixing comments on the sultry looks that Luhan throws the camera, and asks if it is aimed at Sehun and Luhan shoots back with how Yixing seems to be used to being on his knees with the ease that he slides on the floor, and the two grin. Baekhyun shakes his head, muttering about how being around Jongdae has changed his babies and all Jongdae does is cackle.

With a little magic from Jongdae, the video is ready and Luhan and Yixing press the ‘submit’ button together, mini panic attacks taking over them as they think about all the things they can do better. Baekhyun tells them to forget it and start preparing for the next part.

“What if we don't qualify! Only fifty teams get to pass through!” Luhan begins to hyperventilate, hands pressed against his abdomen, and he feels rough hands grasp his biceps. Luhan swallows as he meets Kai's dark eyes, calming down when he follows Kai in breathing.

"Come on, we already know what we want to do. The least we can do is check some places out. If we don't pass, then at least we got some cool sights in.”

Sehun nods, his face betraying him as his hands curl into fists at Kai's closeness to Luhan. Chanyeol stands next to him, relaxed, as he barks out order, though his voice seems harsher and he hurries them along, forcing Kai and Luhan apart earlier than necessary.

Luhan smiles, a gentle smile, that Kai reciprocates, a nod and a kiss later.

 


 

“Ohmigod. Ohmigod. Ohmigod.” Jongdae hushes Baekhyun as they wait impatiently for the site to announce the top fifty. The timer counts down, the minutes trickling away up until they flash red.

Luhan and Kai are intertwined together, hovering next to Yixing and Suho, above Baekhyun and Jongdae on the chair. Sehun and Chanyeol press closer, for once, not plotting to rip Kai and Luhan apart. Baekhyun hesitantly clicks the box open and Luhan and Yixing squeeze their eyes shut, head buried in strong shoulders.

Baekhyun's gasp has them pulling away, and scrambling to the screen, and there their names are, white against black, eighth out a hundred submissions and Luhan almost sags in relief, his legs giving out under him. Kai catches him, loud cheers erupting from the room, as they congratulate the duo.

“Onwards we go, my darlings,” Baekhyun grins.

 


 

“Okay, a little closer. No closer. Oh for the love of Yifan. Give each other a hug, you asshats, it's not like either of have any diseases…unless there's something you want to tell me?”

Kai shakes his head shyly, hands resting against Chanyeol's chest. Chanyeol smiles reassuringly, “ignore Baek, you know how he is,” wrapping his arms around Kai's waist, tugging the terrified boy closer. Kai nods, his lashes fluttering rapidly, as he hesitantly interlaces his fingers behind Chanyeol's neck.

Baekhyun gestures for Tao to film, as Kai moulds his body to Chanyeol inch by inch, until his head rests in Chanyeol's shoulder, face tucked into his neck, and his hands tightly behind the taller male’s, comfortably settled in his arms. Chanyeol grins, resting his head on the silky hair. Baekhyun grins maniacally as they cuddle close, letting them longer longer than necessary. He grins, curling his toes into the sand, watching as the set camera for Yixing and Suho roll, the two having no problem being on a date, holding hands as they build sandcastle.

He watches as Jongdae follow Sehun and Luhan on their version date, the camera panning from a sand bank as the two play in the water. He gives a soft laugh as Sehun splashes water on Luhan who retaliates, the two making waves in the sea.

The way the water glistens on Sehun's skin, the shirt sticking to him revealing a very toned chest, has Luhan his lips hungrily. It does not help when Sehun smiles, his eyes turning to crescent moons, as he laughs, a child like sound that lightens Luhan's chest. And Luhan cannot help but laugh as he splashes water back, playfully messing with the boy, ruffling his hair, dunking him underwater.

Luhan squeals, when Sehun throws him over his shoulder, giggling and lightly smacking Sehun's back. When Sehun threatens to drop him into the water, Luhan protests, shivers running through his body as he clings to Sehun's. Sehun grins and dumps him in anyway. Luhan resurfaces with a sputter, fists battering at Sehun who barks out a laugh, pulling his hands until Luhan is pressed close to him.

Sehun can feel the ridged bones press into his skin, and he watches as Luhan his pink lips. Luhan does not struggle against his hold, even when he moves closer, head bending down, until their lips are a hair’s breadth apart. Eyes lock, and breath mingles, the sounds fading to the distance until a light buzzing fills their head and it is Luhan who pushes forward, mouth chasing his until they press together. Sehun tastes salt and sea, his hands splayed on Luhan's back, and Luhan has his hands balled up in Sehun's hair. The world comes to a standstill, and all Sehun can feel is the pounding in his veins, the glide of Luhan's lips against his, the tight hold Luhan has over Sehun. He wonders if Luhan knows that Sehun will do anything he asks for. He forgets the thought when Luhan moves his head, eyes closed, a whimper falling from mouth as he presses impossibly closer.

Sehun forgets the world, and Luhan remembers too late.

 


 

Jongdae plays through the footage they have taken for three days straight, and figures how to merge them together.

He titles the video, ‘The First Heartbeat’ and messes with the videos until they smoothed out, starting with all of them simply hanging around the table, laughing and playing, Sehun getting teased, with Luhan watching him, affection in his eyes, Kai and Chanyeol playing a game on someone's DS, Yixing and Suho studying in a corner with Baekhyun braiding Tao’s hair and Jongdae just watching them. Tao giggles, adding effects that change the lighting, slowing down the videoed film, speeding it up, matching the music to the videos that Jongdae has chosen. Tao is a very good editor.

The scene changes, just like the music, the twang of the guitar speeding up, sliding into the car scenes, with only Luhan and Kai, sitting with their back against the doors, faces lighting up when Chanyeol and Sehun come in, opening the door. When the harmony kicks in, Yixing and Suho laugh as Yixing teaches the shorter male to dance only to end in a tangle of the limbs.

As the tempo picks up, the rap sliding in, the scene switches to the beach, Chanyeol and Kai's slow hug plays out, the lighting casting shadows on their skin, Yixing and Suho playing in the sand, laughter abundant in the air and the final scene, the chorus sending it in a smooth frenzy, finishes with Luhan's and Sehun's kiss, the water dripping from their skin, shirts sticking to their bodies, the dropping sun turning the sky pink and water into a wave of fire.

Luhan's and Yixing's voices taper off, the last lines of the Chinese version of “My Lady” ending in a harmony, and Jongdae smiles, while Tao claps happily.

 


 

Yixing screams in delight, Luhan tugging him up and down, their excitement contagious when the other boys join them in celebrating, when they find out their video ends up in second place.

Luhan and Yixing wrap Jongdae and Tao in hugs, smothering them with professions of love. Baekhyun demands a portion of it and the two boys envelope him in a hug, all three a mass of body on the ground as they laugh. Jongdae helps them up, holding Baekhyun back from strangling the boys, as they go around the room, thanking everyone.

Sehun pretends not to notice when Luhan deliberately avoids him, only flashing him a small smile before turning to wrap himself around Yixing again. The letter flutters to the floor, almost crushed by the rolling bodies, when Kai and Luhan goes down again, in one of their bear hugs.

 

They soon sober up, the excitement simmering in their blood, as they discuss their first performance. Luhan and Yixing ponder about music, wanting a performance to be remembered. Luhan only has to ask, a pout on his face, before both Sehun and Kai agree to dance with them again.

“Let’s just stay in the same pairs. It's a lot easier,” Sehun comments, a hand resting lightly in Luhan's thigh. He can feel Luhan tensing under his hand, before he shifts away, curling into Kai.

Sehun figures Luhan will either cave into Sehun or break into Kai. Sehun has no idea what to do if Luhan walked away from him.

 


 

Yixing demonstrates a move, Luhan matching him before changing it, to match the slow glide of the music. Kai intervenes, offering his own version while Sehun just watches, testing the glide of his wrists against the twist of his body, as his hips buck forward. He catches the smile on Luhan's face, before it slides off, like water off his back.

It takes a week before they hash the choreography out, satisfied with the movements after hours of putting the dance into practice, bodies slick with sweat, as they move against each other.

The mixed medley of ‘Thunder’ plays repeatedly in the room, to the point that Luhan dreams of the words he has to sing. With a little help from Jongdae and Baekhyun, Luhan and Yixing manage to make the music exactly to their taste, the slow song that exudes , the way their dance does. Chanyeol and Yixing mess with the melody creating a sound with the acoustics of a piano and a guitar.

 


 

Luhan feels the nervousness churn his stomach as he waits at the side of the stage. He turns, hands searching for Kai, when he meets solid muscle. He presses against the warm body, fingers shaking as he clutches close, the arms wrapping around him in familiar warmth, the smell of citrus surrounding him.

Luhan becomes calm, hands pressing down on his back, and he feels lips pressing against his shoulders. The knot of nerves that had been stuck in his throat loosens, and Luhan breathes a silent thank you.

When they heard the call of their name, Luhan pulls away, hand held tightly as they walk out. The dazzling lights are not foreign to Luhan, and neither are the audience, but his body trembles and he feels the grip tighten in his hand. He shakes Sehun loose, unable to pretend any longer and Sehun lets him go. For now.

The dance turns out spectacular, when Sehun cannot take his eyes of Luhan, sending the two into a dark spiral of seduction, with Luhan smirking as Sehun's eyes darkens when he s his hips out, rolling them back. Luhan swallows when Sehun is on the floor, his hands running up and down Luhan's waist, the light touches stirring desire that Luhan had long since squashed.

Luhan bites his lips, tongue dragging across, and Sehun rewards him with a body roll, one that matches Luhan step for step. His voice is masked by the loud, pounding sound system where the rhythm of music they have become used to has been put in, but Sehun runs a hand down Luhan's back, lingering on his back as he whispers into Luhan's ear, “why Xiao Lu, what a beautiful voice you have.” Luhan breathes, and pulls up a practiced smile, “all the better to seduce you with.” Sehun pulls back, a frown marring his features, and they stay quiet the rest of the night, even when they place first for the round.

 


 

The sixth round falls on April 13th, and Luhan panics because thirteen is an unlucky number and he is sure that their luck will run out. He blows up, the stress eating him, even lashing out at Kai, tears pouring down on his face as he stumbles on unsteady legs. Baekhyun can only watch in silence, unsure of how to deal with a frayed Luhan, Yifan being the one to soothe the volcano when he erupted.

His knees give beneath him, as he falls onto the dance floor, the quiet thud reverberating through the empty room. Or at least Luhan thought it was.

“I thought I asked you not to make me worry about you.”

“And I thought I told you not to.”

“When has that stopped me?”

Luhan turns, his ire raised, as he begins to close Sehun out, screaming and nails catching on fabric until Sehun pins him down, body pressing him against glass and Luhan sobs, his whole body shaking. Sehun wraps him in his embrace, soothing words falling onto Luhan's ears, tightening his hold.

"I'm here. I'm here. Why can't you see me here, Xiao Lu?”

“You can't be here. You can't. You have to leave.” Luhan pushes away from Sehun, stumbling over to the stereo, sinking to his knees as he stares at the stereo, hand hovering above the buttons.

Sehun kneels beside him, pressing his face in the space of Luhan's neck, holding him like a rag doll against his body.

“Please, Xiao Lu,”he begs, and Luhan relents, the churning storm subsiding as he rests against the strong expanse of Sehun's chest. He shakes, a puff of breath, as he relaxes, the tension leaking from his body.

“I'm just so scared. I'm so scared that everything is going to come crashing down on me. I need to win this. I need to prove it.”

“Prove what?” Sehun's voice is a strained whisper against the silence.

“That I don't need Yifan anymore, that even with him gone, I can still be okay. But I'm not. I get so angry. With everyone. With myself. With everything. I'm just so angry all the time, and I can't stop myself. And I know that everyone gets hurt because of it, but I can't bring myself to care.” Luhan clutches his hair, yanking on the dyed hair, his voice cracking as he hides his head between his knees.

Sehun is afraid, his hands skittering over Luhan's body, the fragility of the man makes him unsure of his moves. He gently rests a hand on his neck, “I'm here,” he offers futilely. Luhan just shakes his head, a sob catching in his throat.

"Please just leave me alone." Sehun is silent when he leaves the room. Sehun does not know that Luhan stares at the door for hours, wishing Sehun would come back. Luhan does not realize that Sehun sits at the door, waiting for him. He does not that it is Sehun who carries him back to the apartment, tucking him in the bed, pressing a gentle kiss on his head. He does not know that Sehun sits on the other side of the door, as he screams for Yifan, quieting down when Kai wraps around him. Luhan does not realize that Sehun is offering his heart, one more resiliant than Luhan's, and Luhan turns away, believing that he is nothing but a darkness that will be a smear on Sehun's life.

 


 

Yixing and Luhan glide across the stage, the ballad round one of the easiest that they have done, the dance pouring from their bodies. Sehun and Kai mirror their movements, a mimicry of the original dance. Sehun is frozen in motion as he dances with Luhan, who stops giving him small smiles and no longer catches his eye. There is no fire in ther dance, no chase, but Sehun moves in time, the movement synced to Luhan's, but Luhan is slightly off time with Yixing, the two no longer melding as one being. Yixing watches in fear, as the light dies from Luhan's eyes, replaced with the cold light of nothing, his eyes no longer seeing the world, and Luhan steps back into the shadows and with him, Kai fades into the darkness.

He dances, despair weighing his steps, the piano playing 'Move' resonating in his head, and Sehun can no longer reach Luhan who has retreated into himself. Sehun tries though and finally stops when Luhan pours himself into Kai, and Kai has no qualms reciprocating. Chanyeol is shuffled to the side, relegated to the back burner, as Kai nursed the wounds that Sehun had perhaps been responsible for ripping open. Sehun should feel guilty, but he knows that the Luhan had never sealed the wounds in the first place. They have been left to seethe and scab over, and Sehun had been the one to pick at the scabs, and he had been unprepared for rush of emotions that poured forth and now Luhan is mass of pain that Sehun can no longer hold onto. Sehun is not prepared to let him go, and he holds onto the strands of hair in his grasp, clutching to whatever he can. Luhan finds ways to escape his hold, like a spider weaving a web, Luhan traps Sehun but he stands on the edge, just watching and waiting, and Sehun breathes, terrified of the time when the last shambles of the web gives way and Luhan tumbles toward his death.

There is tension in his back when he feels how close Luhan is, but so far from his reach.

 


 

They are in the final round, and Sehun only sees what Luhan allows him to see. The darkness that swirled inside of him was locked away, hidden under smiles and gentle touches.

Kai is no longer the only one Luhan seeks warmth from, the two prowling the streets until the darkness of the night has faded and they return home, reeking of and alcohol. Sehun can only clench his fist as he presses Luhan into the bed, tucking the blanket around him, before he returns to his own bed. Luhan always apologizes, never to him but to Kai, and to Yifan. Sehun knows he can never replace the male in Luhan's life, knows that Luhan will see past him, his glass heart that Sehun should be fixing, resplintering into new patterns as Sehun hides and walks away.

Luhan is lost to him. Sehun could not reach him, afraid of the fragility that he has seen, doubts washing over him, as he wonders if he can be the one to hold Luhan through his nightmares.

They dance to the tune of death, telling the story of when two lovers part for the last time, playing the song that had the final link to TVXQ. 'Mirotic' builds their desire and Sehun can only grasp at thin air, as the bodies writhe on stage, the bedazzled suits and coiffed hair falling into a messy array of sweat and tears. They are a whirl of bodies and Luhan is one step ahead of him. Sehun scrambles to catch up, Yixing knows how to follow Luhan and all he does is soften the blow when Luhan crashes, the anger pouring through him as he dances, a soothing melody to the crescendo that Luhan creates. Sehun is the crack in the melody, jarring the rhythm and sends it into a pit of resonance with the ripples that hit Luhan and Sehun, not in the best of ways.

 


 

The announcement comes, and Sehun is stuck in a stage of shocks he sees Luhan's face, the shallow grin that sears his heart, watching the last wisps of Luhan that leave his grasp and he snatches, pulling said male into a fierce hug, as they both hold the second largest trophy of the night, cradled against their chests. Luhan is rigid under his touch, barely touching bodies that are no longer connected, and Sehun breaks away first, the weariness in his eyes and he sees the plea in Luhan's. Sehun wishes he could ignore it, but he has fallen too far in the chasm that is Luhan and he refuses to look for a ladder.

"Just pretend. For today," he begs. And crumbles when Luhan shakes his head. "I can pretend. I can be Yifan for you." Luhan shakes his head again, a wry smile, "no one can be Yifan." Sehun feels the crumbling chasm collapsing on him. "You are Oh Sehun. And that's all you need to be." There sis shallow space for Sehun to breathe and the ladder is still intact. Luhan waits for Sehun to take his escape to run and when he sees Sehun standing there, despite the tumbling stone, he makes a decision that Luhan figures he will regret.

Luhan's mouth crashes against his, but Sehun can taste is the finality of the moment, and he revels in taste of pain that seeps from Luhan. He pulls the older boy into a crushing hold and finds solace in the trembling body, a animalistic voice chanting in his head, the urge to possess Luhan and make him belong to solely Oh Sehun. He beats past the instinct and breaks away to find darkened eyes staring into his. Sehun swallows, words caught in his throat and Luhan moves away, eyes only breaking away when he finds Kai, hands grasping for the last bit of warmth he can call his own.

Sehun wants to reach out and grab hold of him again, to feel the wam press of body against his, but Sehun is a coward and he lets Luhan run once more, but this time, this time, Sehun chases, detangling the web woven around him, and he circles Luhan, more caution in his step, as he treads lightly on the trail of broken glass to reach Luhan, one more time. He ignores the blood trailing from his legs, the pain that stings through his entire body as he runs behind Luhan, his steps a muted sound in the screaming escapade that is Luhan's mind. But his minute takes too long, and Luhan has already turned away. Sehun stands behind him, hands ready to catch Luhan when he falls again. And this time, he will not let go.

 


 

"Let's celebrate!" Baekhyun screams, still on the high of second place that has Luhan's mind reeling. He touches his lips lightly, chuckling when Kai continues to pull confetti out of his hair. Luhan knows Kai is smiling soft and sweet at the comforting hand Chanyeol has on his shoulder and he cannot find it in himself to werck Kai's happiness any longer. Luhan pulls away, a careful smile, as he convinces Kai to sit with Chanyeol. Luhan wonders if Kai realizes that when Chanyeol is around, the broken shards of Jongin are peiced back together and Kai slides back, with little regard to the wreckage that is Luhan. He is grateful to Chanyeol, for being with Jongin and hopes that Kai will still spare some time for Luhan.

He goes with everyone who wants to party, and they get thrown of a diner for being too rowdy. Jongdae protests loudly, with Baekhyun demanding to see the manager. Suho quietly sighs and promises to pay for all the damages. Luhan cannot shake the eyes that have been tracking him and he knows he is selfish when he sticks to Kai, knows what he is doing to Chanyeol, but Luhan needs to escape, and he find peace in Kai.

Baekhyun drags them to a club, noisy and stuffy, the music pounding, shattering ear drums, with a mass of bodies plastered together, and Luhan is tempted to join the tangle of limbs, an effort to forget. He swallows the concoctions passed to him and his brain slides into a haze that has him seeing everything in a multitude of colors and Luhan feels the familiar warmth of Kai press against his back, a stranger against his chest and he stops thinking.

The fingers that touch him make his skin crawl and Luhan has to swallow his disgust when a stubbled chin presses kisses to his neck. He continues to pretend, his body moving in a way that make both men moan, and Luhan has to force himself to tune out the sounds which are all the wrong shades of growl. He presses close, his pasted smile appealing enough to have them him, and Luhan suppresses a shudder that shivers through his spine.

He forces his head back, letting it rest on the shoulder of the taller stranger, the fit uncomfortable, the shoulder too bony, his hips pressing into the man in front if him, thighs too fleshy, with fingers that are too smooth and grip too tight. The smirks that are on their face remind him of someone, and he loses himself in their chapped lips, the only things that fit against him. Luhan forgets the tears that leak from his eyes, watching as Kai finds himself a warm body to dance with. He is startled when he recognizes Chanyeol, red staining his cheeks as Kai teaches him to dance. He realizes that the time has come for Luhan to let go of Kai completely, and in his mind, the chains that tie Kai down loosen. Luhan is still in control of himself, the alcohol buzzing through his head and Luhan wonders what losing Kai would taste like. He figures he will have time to find out. He breathes and tries to slink away from the bodies around him, flashing an apologetic smile as he unwraps his , and is rewarded with a burst of pain as his wrist is twisted.

Luhan thrashes and wishes he can scream but the pain feels deserved, and he falls back against the bodies. The spike of fear makes him feel alive, and Luhan can only watch, detached, as he is pushed into a corner, his fear fading when he hears the unbuckling of his jeans, and he half heartedly pushes the hands away, but there is little resistance meted out when he is pushed to his knees.

Luhan's whole world crashes around him when he can no longer hold the pieces up, the hollow anger swallowing him whole, and Luhan has no one to hold on to.

 


 

Author's Note: Hello everybody! I hope you liked this chapter. I had to break it into two parts becasue this chapter became really long. This was shocking to me when I checked the count at this point and it came out to 9K+ words and I was not even half way through the chapter. I hope the story so far makes sense! If you find any part confusing at all, please tell me so I can explain it further, either in here or in the following chapters. I have never been happier in my life. I wanted to finish the chapter but my head started pounding and so I decided to end it here for now. I might put the second part up by Monday but if I don't well, it will certainly come by the 18th I promise!

What do you think of the story so far? Do you like it? If you don't well, I'm glad you spent time on it anyway. 

I'm at 37 subscribers! Wow! for my first story that is the bonb! Seriosuly! Thank you guys so much! 

As always, subscribe above and comment below. PLEASE TELL ME WHAT OU THINK SO FAR, I REALLY WANT TO KNOW! :D

Now I'm going to add the music videos that are similar to the dances as well as the clothes.

 


 

Dancing y Luhan!

 

 

1st round-

Luhan's clothes   

Yixing's clothes    

 

First Round- 

Fifth Round- 

Final round-  

 

Music Video:

Hyuna's Red- The dance is the same mixed in with girl's day Something :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTXCgR93zC8

EXO's Thunder

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGBveHyAqf8

4L Move- The dance goes when Thunder is playing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRD-U_kGC0k

The dance is similar to Infinte's Back but moves into Kara's Lupin territory

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMmTgOCMWuI

TVXQ's Mirotic- the dance is the same but can be looed at also with Hyuna's Change

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HtJS32n6LNQ