003. Surrounded

Untangling the Connections

"Yah, slow down!" Joohyun panted, her hands gripping her wobbly knees. Her vision blurred as she was involuntarily brought back to an unfavourable reminiscence. In a second of pause, the world that nonchalantly hovered around her transitioned into another scene. A young girl, body bruised and tattered, pushed herself to move, staggering from foot to foot, wrapping her arms around her body and sheltering it from nature's harm. She raised a hand and rubbed her temples, closing her eyes, screwing them tightly shut as she cuts off all remaining tears from falling. She heaved breathless sighs of dejected hopelessness as she was unable to do anything in such situations but walk away like the inferior, vulnerable and selfish person she was.

Joohyun shook her head vehemently, making sure to erase all thoughts connecting her to that incident. She scanned on ahead the crowds that teemed the streets with life, squinting her now hawk eyes and her right hand providing shade to accompany her eye's enhanced vision without the disturbance from the sunlight.

The back image of a middle-schooler soon came into view as he rounded the street's corner, alerting Joohyun's reflexes as her legs regained the necessary strength required to hunt down the perpetrator. She was determined to see the end of this chase and by all means possible. That included stealing banana bunches from an ahjumma's grocery on the way as ammunition to strike down her little brother.

At an increasing speed, Joohyun soon closed the gap between them until they were literally three metres apart. Reaching into the plastic bag where she had stored her weapons, Joohyun could not hold in that coming satisfaction and eager to end this battle and doom her brother in a mess of squishy banana goodness.

"YAH, KIM JONGIN!" Joohyun yelled, as her legs focused on the running while her hands focused on meticulous robotic arm movements, rotating bananas around, one after the other as preparation before her launched attack. "STOP OR YOU'LL REGRET IT!"

"La la la la la," Jongin tuned in response, covering his ears in mock. "Noona, did you say something?" he spun around, a hand behind his ear in an act to make his sister really lose it.

Joohyun's nostrils flared as she readied her angle for attack. "This kid really does not want to see the sunlight today aye?" she mumbled, gritting her teeth.

As if he could grasp the situation, Jongin's eyes enlarged like that of an owl's before continuing his run, this time, at an even greater speed. Oh how he hated bananas!  

In the sky was a flying cream-coloured log of a thing, its nose sniffing out its victim as it curved up and just missed the tips of the hair on his crown.

"What is this?!" Jongin screeched, horrified as he withheld his feet at a frightened halt; only a centimetre above the half-splattered banana whose fate ended so ungracefully. Along came its peel, flying high like an excited saucer and plopping onto the ground just steps away from Jongin's hovering foot, waiting patiently for his demise. Satisfying its purpose, Jongin's panicky state had led him to cater such a blunderous plunge onto the floor. Instead of a belly-flop, it was a bottom-flop.

Joohyun fist pumped into the air, her face plastered with victorious gleams as she raced towards Jongin's side, however, Jongin has bolted up just seconds before she was able to grab hold of her target.

"Not again!" She cried; an immediate down pour of loss right after her victorious fist pump had really depleted all her energy. "Argh, this is so embarrassing," she commented, shading herself with her arms while avoiding the confused and annoyed gazes of the passer-by's.

"Tomatoes, tomatoes, tomatoes - where are you?!" a desperate Jongin growled, his eyes alert to his surroundings. He managed to dodge another banana and its following peel. "I can't do this! Why is she so determined?!"

"Because you deserve a beating," a stern yet angry voice crept up behind Jongin, causing him to shudder in fear. It was just then that he spotted an unsupervised grocery with fresh, juicy and ripe tomatoes. 'Perfect,' he thought. 'This might not be the end after all.'

"Well, er, you see - I don't think that's necessary because - "

"Shut up. I don't care - you really! Aish, seriously, sometimes I just -"

Jongin slowly spun around, careful and aware of his sister's annoyed state, head tilting down in apology… but not for long as he looked up and smiled at his sister. "I'm sorry but I haven't even started yet," Jongin cockily smirked before heading straight towards the tomatoes on display.

Joohyun's frustration was surging as she headed straight for Jongin. However, as she realised what Jongin was going to do next, ran for dear life. "Why is my life like this?!" she exclaimed, furrowing her eyebrows and now running in zig-zags to avoid the tomato bombard. Oh how she hated tomatoes!

 

--||--||--||--||--||--||--||--||--||--||--

 

"Who do you think you are?! How dare you - you dirty dog things-" a drunk ahjusshi in a sleek formal black suit, though ed and tie loosely draped around his neck, thundered. "You really-!"

Without patience or hesitation, his arm pivoted, up into the air and landed, smacked on the other man's cheek, sending him tumbling down. The initiator of the attack raised his fist again, this time, flying towards the other man's lackey.

"Do your work properly you bastards! One more time and I'll kill you!" he menaced; a roar that bounced its echoes back and forth, down the narrow and overgrown walls of the alley, ringing perilously in their ears.

"How about this noona?!" Jongin teased, hauling two tomatoes at a time, catching the attention of the three hidden in the shadows of the dead-end passageway.

"How about this Jongin?!" Joohyun retorted, sending arrows of bananas and its peel to flop on top of Jongin's soft, black hair.

"EWW! I JUST WASHED MY HAIR THIS MORNING!" he angrily screamed, fingers pinching the banana's end stalk off his head and threw it back at his sister. Jongin marched back, no longer afraid of his sister's antics. From the shadows, they observed; a teenage male figure marching back the other direction towards a female student.

"Bring them here," the man commanded, sending off his two men.

"SIR! It's her! She stole my bananas!" an enraged shop owner informed the policeman. They began their chase towards Joohyun.

Joohyun had overheard the conversation. Worried to have a crime committed recorded down under her name, she ran at full speed ahead towards Jongin who was also coming at her.

"SIR! There, there - that male student running with my bag of tomatoes!" a furious ahjumma shop owner pointed, her impatience ticking by too quickly as she yelled "GET HIM!"  

Unaware, Jongin continued heading for Joohyun. Two mysteriously peculiar figures weaved through the crowd, heading towards them. Another pair headed towards them - no, make that three now as she swirled around and observed in alarm - two policemen, two ahjumma(s), two strange men. Realising this foreboding danger, Joohyun grabbed onto Jongin's arms, causing a very shocked Jongin to be pulled around as if on a leash.

"Follow me! Don't let go or I'll kill you!" Joohyun ordered.

"Is this a threat?" Jongin questioned, gaping at his sisters complete 360 turn of attitude. "Yah, where are we going?!"

"Hiding," she replied, running past mass of locals and their businesses while searching for a safe hiding place.

"Kim Joohyun?" Baekhyun said in recognition, tapping Jongdae's shoulder who was busily finishing his proportion of tteokbokki. "Yah, Jongdae!"

"What?" Jongdae sighed, turning towards Baekhyun's line of vision. "What about her?" he said, chewing on a piece.

"Let's follow her. I have a good feeling about this," Baekhyun smirked, dashing off after the two. Revenge came much faster than he initially planned.

"Your good feelings never turned good," Jongdae muttered. "Yah, let me finish this first." He turned left where Baekhyun's seat was and when he found it vacant, growled in exasperation. "This punk, YAH!" he yelled, frightening the owner. "Sorry," he apologised, paying for both servings and chased after his friend, doubts bubbling inside. "BYUN BAEKHYUN!"

 

--||--||--||--||--||--||--||--||--||--||--

 

Joohyun glanced around, begging her life that they were safe. Jongin was still baffled at her bizarre behaviour.

"Stop it!" Joohyun declared, raising a raged fist to intimidate her brother and stop him from splattering tomato juice all over her. "Let's stop it for today, ok?" she peeved, looking through the scanty gaps.

"Why are we hiding?! It's so dirty here!" Jongin exclaimed.

"Shush!" she hushed, shoving a banana in his mouth. "Eat,"

Jongin's face twisted in horror as he spat back out the banana that was forcefully shoved in. Joohyun held in her laughter, enjoying his moment of agony.

In the dark, he felt for his last tomato and biting into it, making sure its juices splattered all over Joohyun again.

"I said no more!" Joohyun bellowed, causing her brother to fall down from his crouch. He really understood her message this time, knowing what happens next if he continues. So Jongin remained as quiet as a mouse, retreating back in his sister's shadows. Joohyun's face distorted into discomfort however as she regretted being so mad at Jongin. Their lives were endangered - she just needed some seriousness, that's it.

Peeking through the holes once again, she observed the view from behind the cardboard boxes. Soon, her eyes laid on a familiar figure, standing at a distance and heading towards her hideout.

Thump, thump.

She breathed, clutching on her brother's hand tighter and tighter. Unable to leave her suspicions just where they were, she peeked through again, now fully understanding the situation. She was about to stand up and confront them when jerked back downwards.

"What is it noona?" Jongin asked, concerned about what will happen to them now that he sees the gravity of the situation.

"Policemen, angry ahjummas, strange men - they're looking for us," she whispered, her voice quivering in fear. Water droplets from a leaking pipe above dropped on Joohyun's neck, creating a reflex of her arms that had knocked down a cardboard box, giving away her hideout.

"OMO!" she reactively cried, shocked at her careless actions and ducked out of view with Jongin following suit.

"Yah, if anything bad happens, it's your fault," Jongin rubbed in.

"I know so shut up unless you want another banana shoved into your mouth," she whispered sternly, agitated by his comment.

"Over there sir!" one ahjumma yelled, pointing towards the shackles of the alley in between two businesses.

The four inched forwards, with the two shady men just steps behind.

"What's happening?" Jongdae asked, concerned for Joohyun and Jongin.

An interested Baekhyun sniggered, folding his arms across his chest in all calmness. "A drama is to be unfold; let's watch what'll happen,"

They held their breath as Joohyun closed her eyes tightly, her heart pounding harder and harder like beating drums at a festival. Closer and closer they stepped, blocking the only escape route.

"This is the police. You two students come out now - you're all surrounded," a police spoke through his loud speaker.

This is it, Joohyun thought. Game over.

 

--||--||--||--||--||--||--||--||--||--||--

 

A/N: Hi guys, did you enjoy this chapter? This chapter is slightly longer than the first two as I'm testing different lengths of chapters to see how much of the story I can fit into one chapter and to see which one will suit this fanfiction best. What about you guys? Do you prefer shorter or longer chapters? What about the type of content that goes into one chapter? How do you like them structured or ordered or full of cliff-hangers or what? Please comment below on your feedback and opinions - they are very much appreciated as I read, consider and reply to each one. :)

Please subscribe if you would like future updates on this story too if you haven't already. I look forward to continue this journey with you :)

--whitechocolatte