iv

Read Me

It was during recess that I decided to call Myungsoo to ask him why he was absent. I thought, maybe he'd caught a cold from the wind last night. A cold during summer. 

So what I did was, I called him. I went to the rooftop— the same rooftop that Myungsoo and I had visited the night before— and dialed his number. Seventeen rings is how long it always took him to pick his phone up. I waited, pacing back and forth.

 Seventeen rings later, and Myungsoo still hadn't answered my call. I shrugged it off, thinking maybe Myungsoo really was sick and that he was sleeping. 

Just like that, recess ended and so did my high school years. I graduated and placed within the top ten of my year level with a large circle of friends I was sure I would not miss too much. Part of that circle was our school's valedictorian, Bae Suji, the girl Myungsoo had asked me about during our very first encounter. 

Suji and I, we came to know each other through the countless study groups I attended during and before our exam periods. I found myself spending a lot of time with Suji and I could not help but compare her company to Myungsoo's. 

She did not ask me about the life span of cicadas, nor did she talk much. Nonetheless, she and I did not have awkward silences, only comfortable ones. With Suji, it was pleasant, I can't say I looked forward to meeting up with her, but I never regretted doing so. With Myungsoo— I do not know how to describe the times I spent with Myungsoo; I only know I enjoyed them.

<> 
 
After Myungsoo left, none of our teachers explained his absence to us and eventually people forgot about him. 

I must admit that without Myungsoo everything was duller than before but maybe that was only because I had grown so fond of him and his strange nature. 

After Myungsoo left, I carried on with my life, it did not affect me much that he was gone, I was more curious as to where he was. But I stored my curiosity away and tried to focus on myself.

I went to university as was expected of me. Ever since I was little my parents told me to "follow my dreams" but when I told them I aspired to major in art, they did not support me. That being said, they did not persist in opposing the idea, and in the end I got what I wanted. 

I guess my parents thought I had the dream of being a lawyer or a doctor. 


I attended lectures, paid attention,  and completed my assignments on time. I did what I should have but my parents were not content so I moved out of my their house by the end of my first year. 

What I missed most about that house was the swing set behind it. 

I stayed in a motel room for a while, the room was small but it was big enough for my everyday needs. A desk, a chair and a bed. 

During that time, I was reunited with a classmate I thought I did not miss; obviously I was proven otherwise. 

It was spring, then and I was on my way to work at a café not far from the motel. I walked, taking in the fragrance of spring. Myungsoo always said spring was his favourite season.

<>

Work was always a drag, but I enjoyed the atmosphere within the café. It was almost peaceful. I was a waiter, you see, and the café I worked at was never packed. Business was slow, but I was paid as long as I showed up to my shifts, so I did not mind.

On this springs' day, though, the café was full of people and being one of the only two waiters I was tired. 

"Yeol!" One of my coworkers called. 

His name was Woohyun. Nam Woohyun. He was loud, smiled a lot, flirted with customers and was a million miles shorter than me. I exaggerate; he really wasn't that short, but that's the gist of it. 

I glanced at him from the other end of the room to show him I was listening. 

"You can get off in ten minutes," He began. 

"The newbie— what's his name— Sungjong will cover." 
I nodded and mumbled a thanks (that he didn't hear) in response. I continued working until someone entered the café. I went to greet them and apologise as we had no more seats. 

"I'm sorry–" I started but was cut off by the female in front of me. 
"Lee Sungyeol?" She said, and I assumed she was reading my name tag but one look at her face and I knew otherwise. 

"Suji..." I said, mouth agape. Suji did not look different from when I last saw her a year ago, and yet I thought she was so much prettier. 

("Pretty, isn't she?"

"Yeah, she is.")

"Yeol!" Woohyun called again. He had a habit of calling from across the room.

"Yeah?" I replied unmoving. My eyes were still fixated on Suji. 

"Sungjong came; you can go now, see ya!" Woohyun shouted. I told Suji the place was full and asked her if she'd like to go someplace else with me. 
She agreed. 
"Suji, wait up okay? I'll be back in a second." 
We went to another café located in an oddly familiar alleyway. We talked about school and such. She majored in linguistics. 

"Is it difficult?Linguistics I mean." I asked stupidly. 
"Nope." Suji replied. 
There was a pause in our conversation, then, suddenly, Suji asked me a question. 

"Why do you think cicadas only live for a week, Sungyeol?"


Am I lame or am I lame?