Chapter 4

Once Upon A Time; Cinderella

If Cha Hakyeon had the power to conduct a worldwide search (or at least country-wide search) for that person, he would have done it a long time ago. Unfortunately, he had none of such power, so the best he could do was to persuade the people with power to let them conduct more concerts, more fansigns, and hold more activities.

Not that he would persuade the people with power. He was the responsible leader of an idol group with growing popularity and holding so many fanmeetings would just tire the members out. So, in a pretty pathetic attempt at looking for the “orphanage girl”, as s so coined her, he created a cheering action for fans to do. Which involved the waving of the palm, wrist facing forward. Which was a sad, sad attempt that even the other members felt embarrassed about.

Nowadays, when Cha Hakyeon sees fans, he reminds them to do the cheer. He watches out for anybody with a dark spot on the center of their left wrist. So far, he has approached a girl with a skin problem, another one who was harming herself, and one who honestly had a birthmark there, shaped like a potato. He told the girl with the skin problem that she was beautiful, made the one who was harming herself to promise to stop, and kissed the wrist of the last one with the potato birthmark.

It was weird, but it was giving him good press, so his manager didn't really mind.

He irrationally looks for women clad in black, wearing sunglasses, at all his stages and performances. Knowing that she was alive and near him made him desperate. It made him so desperate to meet her again.

*          *          *

Choi Sera had the girl-next-door look. She was plain without makeup, the kind of girl that nobody would take a second glance at. She envied her sisters. They were beautiful. They had their mother's genes – sharp features and thin bodies. They could easily pass off as models. Nowadays, people who see the sisters together would presume that she was their maid, or their uglier friend.

Which was quite true.

She wallowed in the depths of her mind, filled with self-pity. It was one of those days where she drowned in miserable thoughts. Why was I born? What use am I in this world? Am I made for misfortune? Am I banned from receiving love?

As she was contemplating becoming a nun, she received a phone call. She quickly silenced her cellphone, hoping that the sisters were nowhere near.

“Hello, missy! How did the awaited fanmeet go?” a cheerful voice quipped.

“Ahh.. Umma, he didn't recognize me... I got a picture of Hongbin though. You were saying you needed a model for your friend's clothing line? He's absolutely gorgeous.”

An awkward pause ensued, before her godmother replied with a little less enthusiasm, “I'm sure he did, he probably just couldn't show it. I heard from Krystal while doing her makeup that when she was filming her drama, she met VIXX, and Hongbin was telling her how N was acting weird... He was looking at girls' wrists. Does he have a wrist or something, that guy?”

Sera felt awkward again. “Uhh... Umma, do you still want Hongbin's picture?” A sad attempt at changing the subject, she reckoned in retrospect.

*          *          *

Yoonhye had spilt coffee all over her books while studying for her physics test on the next day. She felt really frustrated, but she had pinned up the picture she had took with N to motivate her. “N will love me if I pass my physics!”, she lied to herself. “At least... Umma will buy me tickets to VIXX showcases and concerts if I stay in her good books!”

She made her way to Sera's room. That girl better not be lazing around, Yoonhye thought. Yoonhye thought of the many ways she could punish her if she caught her lazing around. Sera probably could teach her physics, since she did all of Yoonhye's homework anyway, but it was not like Yoonhye would ask for her help.

“Ahh.. Umma, he didn't recognize me... I got a picture of Hongbin though. You were saying you needed a model for your friend's clothing line? He's absolutely gorgeous.”

The voice coming out from the small isolated room stopped Yoonhye in her tracks. “Sera... got a picture of Hongbin?! That can't be, they wouldn't allow anyone to take pictures with VIXX oppas! Unless she was at a fanmeet or something.”

Oh.

Yoonhye ran as fast as she could possibly manage to her older sister's room. The news was scandalous! Her sister would reward her for discovering such a scandal.

Her sister screamed at the news. “What the hell. She doesn't have any money, it's impossible for her to go!”

“But she was talking to somebody on a phone. She isn't even supposed to have a phone! It must be the person on the line.”

“That's possible... But who didn't recognize her? Did she say?”

“Nope, only that she got a picture with Hongbin.”

Yoona's mind wandered. She recalled being really excited when it came to her turn with N. She tried to prolong her time with N, asking him questions and saying that the pictures came out blurry or his skin was dark in the pictures and they had to take it again. She vaguely recalled the annoyed looks on the faces of the other fangirls. They were peasants compared to her – having to save months of allowance for an exclusive fanmeet like that. She also recalled that Hongbin was next to her taking another picture with somebody else.

Right.. There was a commotion. She had asked around, and apparently Hongbin had kissed the hand of a girl clad in black. Nobody could see her face because she was wearing sunglasses and nobody really paid attention to her, some told her. The other fangirls were passing other rumours spitefully and they almost created a scandal. Some told her that Hongbin had previously said that the girl was pretty when she took her sunglasses off, but they couldn't remember how she looked like. They speculated that she was Hongbin's girlfriend. Yoona did not think much of that at that time – she was only interested in N.

Was that girl... Sera? Hongbin's girlfriend? A plain-looking girl like her wouldn't catch Hongbin's attention. She wouldn't even look nice next to someone as attractive as Hongbin. Maybe her sister could get together with Hongbin when she and N were an item; her sister was prettier than Sera anyway, Yoona digressed.

“Unnie! Did you hear me?”

Yoona came back to reality at the sound of her annoyed sister, “Oh sorry, I was thinking..”

“I was saying, remember the time N-oppa said something a girl at the orphanage? Remember when Sera dropped her broomstick and looked all surprised when she saw N-oppa on TV? Sera said that someone didn't recognize her. Could it be our N-oppa?” Yoonhye said, her forehead creased in worry.

Yoona swore, and stormed out of her room.

*          *          *

Her daughters were plotting something. They were being secretive, and they've stopped watching TV. The house was eerily silent, especially at this time of the day. There were no screams of annoyance from the sisters, no mutterings from that girl, and the absence of noise was disconcerting. It was midnight already, and she went to the sisters' rooms to check up on them.

She went up to Yoona's room, but she found nobody there. She went up to Yoonhye's room, and another empty room greeted her. She saw a flash of movement behind Yoonhye's room, and followed. The sisters were sneakily creeping up to Sera's room. They looked like they were going to do something bad.

They crept in, and soon, she heard Sera's screams.

*          *          *

“What are you doing?! Give that back!”, Sera screamed. She had been admiring her bracelet when her sisters broke into her room. They had forced her to admit to them that she was the girl from N's orphanage, and that N had gave her that bracelet.

Yoona held the bracelet up triamphantly, and her sister smirked. “So... You plan on seducing my N-oppa with this pathetic little bracelet? You think we didn't see you at the fanmeet? You think we don't know you're that orphanage girl? You and my N-oppa will never be together. You might as well just give up!”

Yoona tugged at the bracelet, and it broke. The heart-shaped pendent dropped to the floor and rolled under Sera's wardrobe. Yoona cackled, and left arrogantly.

“Your N-oppa will fall in love with me.”