Chapter 2

Once Upon A Time; Cinderella

6 years ago

Ella sat on the window ledge, holding the bracelet she had received when she was younger in the palm of her hand. She contemplated returning it to him, but she was afraid she would forget that he was ever a part of her life if she did. She had a phobia of people forgetting her, and she didn't want to inflict the pain that her mother inflicted on her when she was younger.

She stared through the window at the boy's new parents. Cha Hakyeon, the “loner” of the orphanage was finally going to get some company, she thought to herself. She wanted to tell him not to leave, but this was his route to happiness, and being selfish would make her an obstacle to his bright future. Somebody wanted him... And that was what mattered.

Ella fiddled with her bracelet. His parents looked like nice people. He would have a great comfortable life with them, and probably... most probably, forget about her. The most she could possibly be to him was just a nice, vague memory. She left her window ledge after one last longing look at Hakyeon, pulled the sheets over herself, and prepared herself for a night of unrest.

2 months later

“Ella! Where are you?”, Miss Kim, the caretaker beckoned. “Somebody wants to see you!”

Ella scrambled down the stairs wearing her best. Apparently somebody had called. It might be her mother. If it wasn't, at least somebody wanted her. As she approached Miss Kim, she felt like an item, like she was being put up for sale. She didn't like that feeling very much.

Miss Kim was standing next to a tall woman. She was wearing formal clothing, and looked like a businesswoman from a large company. Her features were sharp, and she exuded a cold and unpleasant aura. Ella didn't like her, even if that woman wanted her.

“Meet Ms. Choi, Ella. She will be your mother from today onwards. She has two other daughters, and they're around your age. I'm sure you'll have a better life from today onwards. Go pack your things!” Ms Kim delightedly said.

Despite how much she didn't like the lady, she was desperate to leave the place which reminded her of a person who had forgotten her. It was painful to live in a building where every nook and cranny hid a pleasant yet heart-wrenching memory. She contemplated leaving the bracelet in her room, but she couldn't bear to erase his entire existence from her memory.

And so she left, her bracelet secured in the little pink box Miss Kim had given her for her birthday last year.

*          *          *

“Oh. My. Gosh.” Yoona gushed. “VIXX is having an exclusive fanmeet! They'll meet 30 fans only and the tickets are going to start selling today. We must get one.”

Her younger sister, Yoonhye, almost fainted at the news. “I need to go meet N oppa and charm him and make him fall in love with me and we can get married!~” Her older sister rolled her eyes. “What makes you think he'll fall in love with you, if I'm around?”

Her sister pouted, and Sera snickered softly as she set the table for breakfast.

“Umma~ Can we please go?” the two sisters whined. Their mother looked at them with a bored expression, and told them to be back by their curfew time on that night, taking a few large notes out of her wallet and throwing it on the table. She then promptly left the table and prepared for work.

Sera followed her meekly. “Uh... Umma?”

Her mother looked shocked, maybe astonished at the fact Sera dared speak to her. Sera steeled herself. It was one request. It wouldn't hurt to try.

“Uh that fanmeet... Can I please go too? I'll put in double the effort in chores and finish both Yoona and Yoonhye's homework for them!” Sera bowed her head, hoping, praying for a 'yes'.

“No.” her mother said coldly. “Missy you spend enough money merely existing, it's a privilege for you to stay in my household already, and you're asking for an exorbitant sum of money to meet some guys you like who you aren't even compatible to judging by your social standard? You must be kidding me. No. Regardless, double the effort in your chores, and do Yoona and Yoonhye's homework that night. Time can be spent more wisely.”

Sera miserably nodded and retreated to her room. Tears spilled from her eyes, and she called the only person she could turn to.

*          *          *

A few hours later, Sera met an adorable woman who looked way younger than she was at a little cafe. She sat excitedly down, removed her sunglasses, and eyed Sera up.

“Annyeong, missy~ How have you been?~” she asked after she ordered her iced americano. Her gleaming eyes enthusiastically eyed Sera up, and she smiled mischievously. “What is it? I can't remove you from your foster mother, you know, unless she's been abusing you.”

“Ahh Umma, it's not it.”

Sera's godmother sighed. “I really wish I could just take you away from that woman, but I have no way of supporting you... But, I can act as your lifeline. I told you to call me if you were desperate for something, so what is it?”

“I... need to meet someone.”

*          *          *

“Hey, leader! Go get your makeup and hair done, fanmeet starts in an hour you have no time.” VIXX manager hollered at N. The members were rushing to wear the clothes picked out by their stylists, getting their hair styled by the hairstylists, and makeup done by the makeup artists. Each were at their own stage, and Ken and Ravi who had already finished with the styling were at a corner filming for VIXX TV. Cha Hakyeon had just finished wearing his clothes, after he made sure all the members were on track with their styling.

He sat down and let the stylist do whatever to his dark red hair, hoping to fall asleep soon and get the rest he so longed for. His plans were soon thwarted by the angry shouts of the manager and coordi-noonas. There was some commotion occurring near the entrance of the dressing room, and N sighed deeply. His hair was still being styled, disabling him from any movement.

“Hyuk-ah. Help me go ask the coordi-noona what's going on.” N, eyes shut in frustration, beckoned to the maknae.

Hyuk returned shortly, “Apparently two crazy fangirls snuck into the building and were screaming to see you, hyung. The manager and coordi-noonas had to chase them away. They were really rude...”

Cha Hakyeon sighed. The fanmeet's just an hour later, they would get to see him. Why would they go through all the trouble of coming to the dressing room and experience such humiliation when they get chased away? Do those kind of fans not understand how stressful it is for the idols to have no privacy at all? Coming all the way to the dressing room was selfish of them.

He wanted to tell the fans off, but if the leader of the group was rude to the fans it would tarnish VIXX's reputation and destroy the good image of the group that the public had of them. “I have it better than most other idols...” he thought to himself, trying desperately to calm himself down.

“Hakyeon-ah. I checked the fanmail, there are over fifty people claiming to be your orphanage girl.” Taekwoon quietly spoke, sighing gently. Hakyeon thanked Leo, and closed his eyes to sleep. One more hour.