Diamond in the Rough V

Diamond in the Rough

Kiku and Yao had walked cautiously through the hallway for a good fifteen minutes by now.

The Japanese man glanced the his copy of the blueprint, “The lasers should be coming up, Yao-san.”

Yao nodded, “Yeah, you can hear the buzzing.”

The two turned the corner and were met by said lasers.

They almost glared at the mass of interlocking red beams. Both let out a groan.

“I remember when I was younger.” Kiku said quietly.

“I’m too old for this.” Yao grumbled.

Yao and Kiku braced themselves and ninja-ed through, sprouting equations all the way.

“30-60-90 triangles are easy to calculate.” Yao murmured, “The hypotenuse is two x when the shorter leg is x, the longer leg is x times the square root of three.”

“These lasers, being 30-60-90 triangles, are easy to evade.” Kiku said, “They never move, making it ever easier for two skilled martial artists.”

They landed on other side, not even breathing hard.

 

Within five minutes, Im was almost done unlocking his vault.

“Seven? Nope. Eight? Nope. Hm, that means it’s nine!”

With his joyful exclamation, the vault door swung open.

“Yay!!” He shouted, pumping his fists into the air, “I win Kaoru!”

The Cantonese man grumbled something under his breath and continued working.

“Hm?” Im dug through the vault, confused, “Where are the six gemstones? They’re not in here.”

Kaoru paused, “What?”

“They’re not in here!” Im cried, “ALL THAT HARD WORK FOR NOTHING!!”

“If they’re not in there,” Kaoru muttered, “Well then, it’d be more likely if… two thirds… half…” He stood, “Im, you try my vault, I’ll do the third one.”

“What? Why?” He asked, seemingly over his misfortune, “Is it too hard for you?”

Another vein appeared on his forehead. “No,” Kaoru said, “Just probability. There are three vaults, I chose one and so did you. If yours doesn’t have the gemstones; then mine has a one third chance of having them, the last vault that neither of us chose has a two thirds chance.”

Im shrugged, “I didn’t understand that. I still think your vault is just too hard for you.”

He just barely dodged a flying wrench.

“Just get to work, you idiot!” Kaoru said, kneeling in front of the last vault.


 

Yao and Kiku worked together like they were one entity. They didn’t need communication; they just worked.

Within twenty minutes, they cracked the safe.

“Phew,” Kiku said, wiping off some sweat, “We got it.”

Yao pulled out the legendary Pink Diamond. “Now we just need to transport it into the van.”

An angry foot slam stopped both of them.

“I knew I heard something.” A voice came from a hallway around the corner.

Yao stuffed the diamond into his pocket. Kiku placed his hand over his katana handle, ready to to draw at any moment.

“So, we have thieves in the night, I told those security officers we needed tighter safety since this was the night all gems were in storage, but they wouldn’t listen to me. If I bring you two in, I’m sure I’ll get promoted and all those stuck-up idiots in office will be fired.”

A guard appeared in the doorway, gun in hand.