Diamond in the Rough I

Diamond in the Rough

The sound of footsteps neared cell number 120, home of an infamous Italian mafia boss. He sat up on his bunk in anticipation; he had been expecting some welcomed visitors. The jangling of the metal keys clicking together stopped abruptly just out of sight of the openings between the bars of his desolate little cell.

“Well?” he growled, impatient. “Don‘t you have something to say to me, Yao?”

“Sorry,” a monotone voice rang out, “I was just testing if you’d bite.”

A man in a security guard uniform stepped into the light of a single bulb flickering in the hallway. He was far younger than the mafia boss had expected, about in his late teens. The dark brown hair hanging in front of his face was swept mostly to one side, a stray strand resting between his eyes.

“I’m not Yao, in case you were wondering,” the newcomer commented before any other words could be exchanged.

“Then who are you? A useless little henchman?”

The faux guard’s expression didn’t waver. In a quick gesture, he tucked the bangs on the left side of his head behind his ear, revealing a small black earpiece.

“Be careful what you say,” he said, looking down at the mafioso, “Teacher is listening to your every word.”

The mafia boss sneered in irritation, but the Asian man didn’t seem to care.

“You had a job for us?” he inquired.

“...”

“Well?”

“A week from now, I need your group to steal something for me. Something more valuable than anything you’ve ever stolen and will ever steal. This week, the Museum of Natural Sciences is putting on an exhibit showing the world’s seven most valuable gems. One will be displayed every day, and the gemstone will be changed overnight. This Sunday, the exhibit is ending, and they will have their guard down. The six past gems will be in the museum archives with one on display. Steal them, get them, ghost them away, I don’t care how you do it. They will be mine again.”

After a pause, the Asian tapped his earpiece. “Did you hear that, Teacher?”  

A muffled reply came from the device.

The “guard” turned back to the mafioso. “How much would we be payed?”

“As much as you desire--as long as the gems are in my hands.”

The stranger smirked and pulled his cap down, shading his face. “Did you hear that too, Teacher? As much as we want.”

The client shuddered a little, scared of the evil smile on the Asian’s face.

His head suddenly snapped up, making the mafioso start.

“Alright,” he said, his face betraying no emotion, “deal.”