Chapter 1

A Unique Connection

Wednesday, 18 May 2009. 

(New York)

Minwoo stared into the darkness. The bedroom was silent. The only sound he could hear was the noise created by the engine of the cars that sped past his house. He couldn't fall asleep. He was scared that if he did, he would slip into a coma and will never wake up. Paranoid? Maybe. But that was all due to a medical report he received in the evening. He contracted a disease. A disease that he don't even understand no matter how detailed the doctors explained to him, much less the amount of research he did. He was at lost. One moment he was happy and the next moment he was dragged into a pit filled with nothing but emptiness and depression. 

 

He met someone a year ago, a beautiful person. They made a promise and Minwoo knew deep down, that they definitely won't meet up again. He needed help. He needs to find someone who is willing to help him, and he knew who he needs. 

 

Monday, 18 June 2014 

(Seoul) 

"I shall see you kids tomorrow. Take good care of yourselves. The weather is quite hot recently. Bye Bye!"

 

Standing in front of the school gate, he waved at the kids holding their mother's hand. Each and everyone's approach to leaving the school was different- some looked back constantly, as if they were reluctant to leave the school. Others just held their mother's hand, eagerly to get back home. He looked down on his watch "6:30." He mouthed. "I guess there's no point in eating dinner at some fancy restaurant since they are all going to be full." He shrugged his shoulders. A carefree person. That's the way to describe Eric. But that's not really what it seems. He is on a mission given by his best friend. Till now, he still can't understand why did he accept it in the first place. 

 

But the sight of Minwoo practically begging him melted his heart. He can't say no, can he? As he stop his car next to the harbor and rolled down the window, he was greeted by the scent of the saltiness in the air, the squawking made by the seagulls. As he stared spellbound towards the strong waves that are pounding against the rock, he sat motionlessly. It's been 5 years. He still hasn't found the person. But blame it on Minwoo. "Ahh." Eric ran his hands through his black hair, "The first impression that person gave me was simply enchanting. You will know when you see it." Eric mimicked the way Minwoo said back then. " Really? Minwoo. Just based on that? Such a babo!" He leaned his head against the headrest, "This is simply too mentally exhausting." As he was about to close his eyes, he notices someone standing on the railings. 

 

"Is that guy going to jump into the sea?" Eric asked to himself as his heart starts pounding quickly. " this ." He exited his car as fast as he could, not even bothering to close the doors. As he ran, he felt each leg getting heavier and heavier, his head felt lighter as if he was going to faint from running this fast. He's quite weak, physically. 

 

"Get down from there you idiot!" Eric yanks the person off the railings and landed on the floor with a thud. Bystanders nearby just kept watching, not bothering to help the two that are in pain. "Are you out of your mind? Committing suicide is not the solution." Eric huffed and puffed, apparently drained by that short run. As Eric looked at the other person holding himself in a vulnerable way, he panicked. "I...erm... I did not hurt you. Did I?" He raised his eyebrows. Quickly feeling guilty for having been that fierce towards him a seconds ago. 

 

"I erm... I ermmm..." Eric was getting irritated. He was feeling frustrated waiting for his response. In front of him, was an image of a man, playing with his fingers. It was as if he was lost in his own world. "You are?" Eric leaned in closer trying to catch his quiet voice. Unfortunately, it was too close, in that man's perspective that is, for he suddenly cupped his mouth and said with a muffled voice, "My mom says I shouldn't kiss any strangers." 

 

"I wasn't trying to do that." Eric immediately backed away and within seconds, he felt insulted. Is this guy for real? 

 

That man suddenly points towards the group of seagulls that was flying above them. "I was...jus-just trying to touch them." That man said strenuously, making Eric felt that he can't even speak simple sentences. "Then I am really sorry to pull you back that forcefully. It was rather rude of me." Eric gave an apologetic smile and puts his hand in front of the man's face. The man was taken aback but hesitantly reach for it and Eric pulled him up.  

 

"It's...erm... It's okay. I hav-have always been beaten u-up, never...never protected before." He shakes his head vigorously, hoping to get his points across. "People hav-have always called...called me a re-retard. But I would pre-ferr if you called me Hyesung." 

 

Hyesung smiled at Eric, a smile that he thought was long gone while Eric felt mystified by the boy's charms. 

 


 

So yup, a short chapter 1. I hope you guys like this. I didn't did much proof-reading. So my apologies.