6: Of Hiders and Seekers

On Ebb
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

EXOPLANET

Not even five minutes into their excursion underground, they were arguing again.  Jongin was hiding behind Sehun because Baekhyun looked like he wanted to kill the pair of them, and Sehun genuinely didn’t seem to give a sh*t one way or the other as to whether Baekhyun left them to die in the darkness.

“I wish you’d shut up,” he told the smaller boy impatiently.  “You’re going to give our position away to anybody currently in the mine with us.”

“Position?” yelled Baekhyun.  “I don’t care about our bloody position!  What even is our position, anyway?  Where are we?”

“I’ve already told you, the main shaft—”

“That ing idiot’s already said he doesn’t know exactly where he dropped us!”

Rolling his eyes, Sehun pushed Baekhyun forwards to keep him moving along the narrow passage.  Baekhyun dug his heels in.

“And I’ve already told you that Jongin probably wasn’t able to take the pair of us far, and that the most logical place to teleport to, so we’re probably in the main passage.”  There was a deafening rumble and the passageway shook, sending them all staggering and raining tiny fragments of debris down on them.  “And you might want to shut up before the D.O. figures out where we are and tries to kill us.  Or anybody else in the mine, for that matter.”

Baekhyun scowled at him, but his retort died on his lips as the entire passage vibrated, sending all three of them staggering.

“Well done,” Sehun told him with a glare.  Baekhyun wisely didn’t respond, leading the way forwards instead.

 

Over the next three hours, they had to dig themselves out of several partial cave-ins.  Sehun reckoned the earth tremors were getting weaker, which just caused the other two to look at him like he’d gone mad, especially when one came mere seconds after he’d said that and Jongin was nearly floored.

When they found the passageway completely blocked, though, Baekhyun’s temper practically snapped.

“I am not digging through that,” he declared obstinately, sticking his ground.  “Jongin can take us to the other side.”

Sehun’s temper miraculously didn’t snap, although it looked like he was pretty close to it.  After surveying the blockage for a few moments, he signalled out a couple of larger rocks that could be removed without the rubble collapsing on top of him and started to ease them out.  “Jongin can’t start taking us past minor obstacles just because you’re lazy because it’ll wear him out.”  He dropped the first rock on the ground with a loud thud! and both boys jumped.

“Besides,” Sehun went on, “it’s tough on Jongin taking one of us out if we run into trouble.  I’m sure you wouldn’t mind volunteering to stay just a little longer in a crisis because he’s tired and can’t teleport both of us at the same ti—light, I need more light.”

Baekhyun was petty enough to shut off light altogether.  At that point, Sehun’s patience almost reached the end of its tether.

“Byun Baekhyun, give me light right now or I will throw this rock at you.  I can tell where you’re standing because of your breathing.”

Very reluctantly, Baekhyun lit the area up again.

“What the ?” he demanded, catching sight of Sehun scrutinising the wall.  “You aren’t even holding anything.”

“Correction.”  Sehun waved his left hand without looking around, flashing his switchblade at Baekhyun, who flinched.  Jongin also winced as the bright light glanced off the metal.  “Jongin, can you help me with this?  I need you to remove that rock over there.”  He singled out another of the bigger ones quite some distance away.  “And then I need you to get the pair of us the hell out of the way.  Baekhyun, move back about four feet.”

Grumbling, Baekhyun did as he was told.

“Right,” said Sehun, checking everybody was in position before pocketing his knife.  He reached into the hole he’d created in the blockage and grabbed hold of something.  “On three, Jongin.  One, two, three!”

The rock fall disintegrated in an avalanche of stones, Jongin just barely managing to snatch Sehun out of the way after getting his rock out.  The pair of them tumbled to the floor as Baekhyun yelled when a stray pebble hit him on the shoulder and his light flared up.

Sehun stared at the scene of carnage they’d opened up and whistled.  “Well, sh*t.”

Scrambling to his feet, he approached the bodies that had been buried by the rubble.  The majority had been crushed, but as he inspected the wounds, he estimated that no more than half of the dozen or so bodies had been dead before the cave-in.  At least two had been killed by clean shots to the heart, so he called the other two over to look around for weapons.

Baekhyun was the first to find a gun and Sehun had to wrestle it off him almost immediately, which caused another round of bickering.

“I got it first!”

“Do you know how to use it?”

“…No.”

“Then I’m looking after it.”

“You’re younger than me!”

“I also know how to shoot people.”

It ended up with Baekhyun holding his hands up when Sehun slid the safety catch off, patience out, and pointed the pistol at him.

“It’s empty,” Sehun told him, shoving the gun through his belt along with some ammunition he’d found.  “Shame, really.”

Baekhyun had looked about ready to kill him.  So ready, in fact, that Jongin had to dive between them when the boy got hold of a knife.

Sehun just ignored the th

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter