3 o 3

Kiss or Kill

 

(Jaehee’s POV)

Darkness.

I’ve been cooped up in darkness for god knows how long. My hands and feet were bound, leaving awful red marks against my pale skin; my clothes were torn and filthy, stained with blood and dirt; and certain parts of my body throbbed, bruises surfacing like purple spots from the beating I just acquired.

I never saw them… my captors, because a blindfold always covered my eyes. But I knew who they were since their intentions were pretty much out there as they questioned me over and over again.

The mafia has captured me and I wasn’t dumb enough not to put two and two together…

They captured me to get to him… to get to Baekhyun. And I hoped he wasn’t stupid enough to fall for the bait. Our escape plan would be a waste if he came barging in here to save me. 

Although, I kept waiting.

…waiting

…and waiting.

He never came.

I felt relieved that he didn’t come, that he had gone, that he had escaped.  

I saved him after all, I thought. Smiling to myself in my own little corner of this musky old room. 

The only question was:


Who’s going to save me now?


~~~

(Narrator’s POV) 

Baekhyun waited for her that morning, his insides bubbling with excitement. He was happy to know that Jaehee was coming to see him in a few minutes. He kept glancing at his phone, awaiting her reply.

It never came.

What’s taking her so long? He wondered impatiently as the professor came into the classroom, insinuating the start of classes. He sighed heavily and thought probably she got caught with some schoolwork or decided to sleep in.

He smirked at the thought. That girl… didn’t even invite me to sleep in with her this morning.


He went inside the room, saddened at the fact that she wasn’t there. He didn’t take his usual seat by the window, even though she was patently absent. His classmates gave him weird looks as he sat down on the chair beside his usual seat, leaving it vacant. 

Baekhyun sighed as he looked out the window. It was a nice day; the type that had clear blue skies filled with cumulus clouds, and blew cool breezes through your hair. 

But it wasn’t a view Baekhyun enjoyed, unfortunately. Not like he used to. 

All he could see was an empty seat, lacking of a girl with long black hair and pretty eyes. The only view he ached for…

Where are you? he thought.

~~~

(Jaehee’s POV)

I sat blindfolded on a chair, tied up and biting my lip to keep myself from screaming out and to keep my tears at bay as they began questioning me once again. I guessed we were someplace big, like a warehouse, since their voices echoed through the walls, creating an eerie effect. 

“Where is he?”

“For the last time, I don’t—“ a cold hard slap made it’s way across my face and I gasped. That’s definitely going to leave a mark

“Wrong answer.” It was a girl’s voice, high-pitched but husky. “I’m going to ask you again—“

“You can ask me a million times,” I spat. “But my answer will never change.”

Snickers filled the room, followed by the sound of heels clicking on the cement floors. The sound got louder and soon I felt hands against my forehead and then my blindfold was suddenly ripped off. 

Being cooped up in the dark for so long, the light hurt my eyes even though the room I’m currently in was still relatively dark. I closed my eyes again, wincing.

“It hurts, no?” The girl said. “Well it’s not my fault. I warned you to get out while you can.”

Her words echoed in my ears, ringing a bell. I willed my eyes to open and when I did, I looked up to see a girl with short-cropped hair and scarlet lips that was so red it looked almost like she’s been drinking blood. 

I tilted my head curiously, “Who—“

“Don’t remember me?” She pouted as she checked her nails. “I’m hurt.” She glanced at me, “Tell me, Jaehee-ssi. How’s the window seat?”

Window seat?


Flashback

A piece of paper made it’s way onto my desk and I opened it up slowly. 



That’s Baekhyun’s seat. Get out while you can! 



I scrunched my eyebrows and thought, what the hell?

End of flashback


“You—you sent me that note…in class?”

The girl nodded, “Well you’re not dumb after all. So I’m wondering why you’re here. I did warn you… twice.”

“Twice?” I croaked, my throat dry. She nods again. “At the hallway, first day.” She grabbed something from her back pocket and I realized that it was a pair of glasses. She wore them and realization dawned on me.

“You were the one who told me not to stare at him.” I stuttered; my voice tinged with disbelief. 

The girl clapped her hands, “Very good, Jaehee-ssi!”

“Who are you?”

“I’m Jung Songmi.” She said, removing her glasses. “I’m one of Baekhyun’s friends.”

“Friend?”

She grinned at me, “Does girlfriend sound more appealing?” 

I pursed my lips to keep myself from snapping back a harsh retort. “By friend, you mean—?”

“A fellow assassin.” She said a matter of fact, like it was the most normal profession in the world; right next to being a doctor and a businessman. 

“If he’s your friend,” I asked sarcastically. “Then why don’t you know where he is?” I asked.

Songmi laughed out loud and the sound was terrifying. I thought those kinds of laughs only happens in the movies. “You amuse me, Jaehee-ssi. I’m sure he’s told you all about it. Why we’re looking for him—“

“You’re going to kill him.” I blurted. “Why else would he stay away from you?”

“Kill him?” She feigned shock. “Oh no, we don’t want to kill him.”

I scrunched my eyebrows in confusion. “Huh?” 

“We simply want him back.”

“What makes you think he wants to be a killer?”

“Because he was born for this.” She said seriously. “Baekhyun is one our best. He’s good at what he does… Gets the job done on time, clean…no traces whatsoever.”

“You make him sound like an honor student.” I scoffed.

“Oh but he is.” She chuckled. “In the art of killing of course.” Songmi walked towards me and crouched down, leaning on her knees so were at eye level. “So I’m going to ask you again… Where’s Byun Baekhyun?”

“What makes you think he’d come back here?” I said. “For all I know, he quit—“

“Oh but we have you.” She said as she pinched my cheek and I wanted for turn my head to bite her hand off. “You’ll be our little bait, Jaehee-ssi.”

“What makes you think he’d take it? I’m nothing to him.” As the words left my mouth, I prayed she didn’t hear the doubt in my voice. 

Songmi laughed, turning away from me, her hips swaying in a cat-like manner. “You give yourself less credit than you should, Jaehee-ssi.” She waved her hand, “Take her away.”

Strong hands lifted me from my seat and I struggled to be released, yelling, “He won’t take it, Songmi! He’s not that stupid!” 

“We’ll see, Jaehee.” She yelled back as I was taken away, her laugh echoing through the warehouse’s walls. “We’ll see.”


~~~

Darkness.

Again. 

I sat on the cold hard floor like a blind man, my face stinging from the slaps I’ve received in the past several hours. My stomach growled and I realized that I hadn’t eaten in… Honestly, I have no idea. Time was non-existing here. There was simply no way of knowing how long I’ve been here. The guards weren’t exactly friendly enough to tell me, and it’s not like I could see with this freakin’ blindfold covering my eyes. 

I sighed and felt tears pricking my eyes. I took a deep breath to hold it in, but it was getting harder and harder to do the longer I stayed here.

I sat up straighter, telling myself to get a grip and willed myself to think of the positive side of things: which was that he was safe… My Baekhyun was safe. 

I smiled despite the pain I felt physically and emotionally, because I knew Baekhyun was out there… far from these horrible people. 

I let myself be consumed by thoughts of him: his kind eyes, his sweet smile, and even his adorable laugh and the way he says my name; like it was the only name he ever wanted to say. Even the annoying way he kept telling me to call him ‘Baek’ instead of Baekhyun, I miss. 

You’re right. There are two kinds of people in this world, Baekhyun. I thought. And those people behind that door are the bad guys…

But you’re definitely not one of them


I wondered if I was insane to think that when he was obviously nifty in killing people—a virtuoso in the art of assassination, as how Songmi would have called it.

It was a big mistake to get involved.
He was a big mistake…


But I didn’t seem to care. I wouldn’t have chosen otherwise. I would have gladly made the mistake over and over again if it meant having him… being with him.


I leaned my head back against the wall, exhaustion taking over.
“Baekhyun.” I murmured, as if saying his name could make him any less real. 


Bang!

I snapped up at the sound, my heart quickening its pace.


Bang! Bang!


I sat up, my eyes wandering though I was practically blind. 


Footsteps… running… I thought, as I willed my ears to listen; the sense which I’ve relied on since my eyes failed me.


Bang!

This time, I felt a gush of wind hit my face; surprising and making me inch backward against the wall. Before I could ask who or what it was that caused it, a familiar voice called my name and my breath hitched at the sound. 


~~~

(Narrator’s POV)

Baekhyun had his hands fisted on one of the soldier’s collars as he pinned him against the wall. “Where is she?!” 

The soldier remained silent, staring into his eyes defiantly and at the same time fearfully. He knew Byun Baekhyun and there’s a reason why their boss wanted him back so badly.

“Don’t make me ask again.” Baekhyun sneered as he pushed him against the wall harder, almost choking him. The soldier was red-faced and could only glance towards his right… towards the place where the girl was locked up. Baekhyun glanced to that direction before looking back at the soldier with scorn and releasing him. 

He barely made three steps when the soldier said; “She’ll probably be dead by the time you get to her.” Baekhyun paused at his words, feeling his blood boil as he clenched his hands into fists.

“They’re right about you, Baekhyun-ssi. You’ve become a soft—“ before he even finished the word, Baekhyun had punched him hard in the jaw; a terrible crack sounding. 

“Bastard.” He muttered as he walked away, leaving the soldier unconscious on the cold floor.


Baekhyun moved through the place like a madman, breaking down doors and searching every inch of space for Jaehee. He had to move fast, knowing he didn’t have much time before the higher ranks discover his presence. At the last door in the hallway, a soldier was standing guard and before he could protest, Baekhyun had already raised his gun, shooting him on the head. The soldier dropped to the floor almost immediately. 

Baekhyun grabbed the keys on his belt loop and used it to open the door. As much as he was capable of breaking it down, he had a feeling that she was here and he didn’t want to scare her to her death with a grand entrance. 

He opened the door cautiously and as his eyes adjusted, the sight of Jaehee sitting on the floor, her back against the wall, bruised and dirty, made him want to kneel down and cry—or maybe find the people who did it and kill them in the most painful way possible. 

“Jaehee.” He breathed as he ran to her side, pulling her into his arms. “Oh god, Jaehee.”

“B—Baekhyun?” She croaked and he looked back at her, realizing that she had a blindfold on. He removed it and when her eyes met his, they went wide like saucers. “Baek—“

Baekhyun cupped her cheeks and kissed her. Kissed her like it was the only thing he we supposed to do; was meant to do. Jaehee kissed him back with just as much fervor, unable to hold back her tears. When they parted she cried, “What are you doing here?! You’re not supposed to—“ he kissed her again.

“You pabo—“ and again…

“You’re gonna get kill—“ And again.

“Baekhyun, I swear if you kiss me again I’ll slap you.” 

Baekhyun chuckled as he leaned his forehead against her, their noses touching. He smiled, the sight making her cry more. “You’re not supposed to be here. It’s not safe! You’re supposed to leave—“

“The hell I’m leaving without you.” He said as pain flashed in his eyes, “No way, Jaehee. No goodbyes remember?”

“Baekhyun,” she shook her head. “They’re using me as bait.”

“Well it worked.”

She smacked his arm, “Don’t joke!”

“I’m not joking.” He said as he grabbed her hand and started to cut through the ropes with a pocketknife. “I don’t care if they kill me. All I care about is getting you out of here.”

Once the ropes were removed, Baekhyun stared at her wrists, which were bruised from the tightness of the rope. She had been gone for almost three days and he hated himself for not coming sooner. He lifted his eyes up to hers, seeing her lips bruised, her cheeks red, and her beautiful face filled with small scratches. He caressed her cheek, tenderly. “They’re going to pay for what they did to you.” He said darkly, the sound sending chills down Jaehee’s spine. “I’ll make sure of it.” 

There was a sudden loud crash and their heads turned towards it. “We have to go,” he said as he stood up. But seeing her state, he hesitated. “Can you walk?”

Jaehee nodded as she pulled herself up. “I’m okay.” Baekhyun gave her a look as if that was the biggest lie he had ever heard, but knew better than to argue. “I’m sorry for this.”

“Yeah yeah.” Jaehee said as he followed him out the door. “Don’t apologize yet. We’re still alive.”

Baekhyun stopped to face her. He had a fierce look in is eyes as he siad, “And it’s going to stay that way. You are not dying.”

Jaehee crossed her arms and tapped her foot, “I’m not?”

Baekhyun grinned despite their current situation and laced his fingers with hers, looking at her fiercely. “We’re not.”

With the words said, they bolted out of the room with a newfound courage; ready to face anything.

~~~

Jaehee and Baekhyun tried to get to the exit as swift and quiet as they could. Their hearts hammered in their chests; adrenaline running through their veins as they moved through the building; maneuvering from one hallway to another, trying to avoid the mafia.

When they reached the ground floor, the place where Jaehee was usually brought for questioning, she asked, “Did you come alone?”

They were leaning against a wall and Baekhyun was looking over at the corner, checking for any soldiers. Upon realizing that it was empty, he pulled her by the hand and started waking briskly.  “Of course not!” He scoffed. “How stupid do you think I am?”

“Well you fell for the bait.” She smirked as he pulled her into a spacious room where they caught sight of the exit right on the other side. “So very stupid, indeed.”

“Can we save the insults for later?” he said though Jaehee knew he meant it playfully. She watched him as his eyes skimmed the place, looking for any intruders. When he saw that the coast was clear, Baekhyun pulled her towards the other side of the room, passing by the chair she usually sat down on for questioning (and torture), towards their freedom.

As they were nearing the door, an almost inaudible click sounded but Baekhyun heard it and he immediately pulled Jaehee behind him. “Close your eyes.”

Before she could ask why, Baekhyun raised his gun and fired.

Bang!

A soft thud sounded and when Jaehee opened her eyes, she saw a man slumped on the ground, bleeding. Before she could stare any longer, Baekhyun cupped her chin to face him. “I’m not proud of it, if that’s what you’re thinking.” he said, his eyes honest.

“I know.” She said as she patted his cheek, affectionately. “I wasn’t judging.” Baekhyun smiled down at her and as they were about to leave, a loud bang sounded, making Baekhyun stop and yelp, “Aaargh!”


Jaehee stared in horror as his face contorted in pain.

“Baekhyun!”

~~~

(Jaehee’s POV)

It seemed like the world crashed down on me as I watched Baekhyun grimacing in pain. Time seemed to go in slow motion and my heart paced rapidly in my chest.

No… he couldn’t have been…

I looked behind us and saw several men, with Songmi in the middle, holding a silver pistol. She smirked at me and I felt my blood boil in anger.

“I’m okay. I’m okay.” Baekhyun gasped and Jaehee turned her attention back to him, seeing his arm bleeding. She realized that the bullet only grazed him and she released a sigh of relief.

“Well, well, Byun Baekhyun.” She said as she stepped towards us. “Long time no see.”

Baekhyun pushed me behind him. “Songmi.”

Songmi looked at me and grinned, “Thank you, Jaehee-ssi for bringing our Baekhyun back.” I closed my eyes and winced, leaning my forehead on his back.

She’s right. I brought him here.

Baekhyun gripped my hand and squeezed it. “Just let her go. I’m the one you want.”

“Baekhyun—“

“Oh,” Songmi frowned. “But I’m afraid that she’s already seen too much.” She motioned towards my eyes, which were now blindfold-free. “So it’s either she takes the oath or dies.”

“The hell.” Baekhyun spat. “She’ll do neither.” He turned us around only to be welcomed by several guns pointed at us, completely blocking the exit.  

“You’re surrounded Byun Baekhyun.” Songmi said. “There’s no escaping. So I’ll ask this once—“

“I’m not going back.”

“Uh-uh—“ she held up a finger, clucking her tongue. “Wouldn’t you like to hear the conditions?” she grinned. “Special offer! If you return and promise to continue your duties as part of the mafia, we’ll let her go.” She pointed at me.

Baekhyun seemed to waver and I wanted to smack him in the head for even considering it. He should know that they couldn’t—shouldn’t—trust this woman. He looked at me and I shook my head vigorously. He frowned, “If I don’t?”

“I think you know the answer to that.” She smirked as they heard the familiar sound of a gun being cocked. 

Baekhyun stared at me and I knew what he was going to say before he even said it. Of course he was going to take it. He was going to return just so he could protect me. He would do anything to set me free. “I’m sorry.” He murmured before facing them. “I—“

Before he spoke, I grabbed his gun from his hand and pointed it at Songmi, “I’d rather die.” I said, then fired.


~~~
(Narrator’s POV)

Baekhyun had his eyes wide-opened in shock as he felt Jaehee grab the gun from his grip.

“I’d rather die.” She said and before he could stop her, she fired. 

Hitting Songmi on her arm.

A miss, and yet a perfect shot since it gave them the opportunity to bolt as almost everyone fretted over their leader. They maneuvered over the soldiers, with Baekhyun shooting with perfect aim, each one of them dropping to the ground like dominos. 

“Hell.” She gasped in awe but Baekhyun was too busy firing to thank her for the compliment. 

They were almost to the exit when Songmi screamed, “What the hell are you people doing?! Go get them!”

Everyone’s attention turned towards them and Baekhyun cursed before grabbing something from his back pocket. Jaehee realized that it was his phone, “What are you—“

“We need you now!” He yelled over the line and soon, several guys bounded from the exit, holding their own weapons. Jaehee didn’t know them but there were a few familiar faces…

“Hello, little girl.” The guy with dark brown hair said; the one Baekhyun was with on the first day of Math class.

“Freakishly tall boy.” She said with a nod. 

“Chanyeol.” He smirked as he reached out his hand.

“We can save the introductions for later.” Baekhyun said as he grabbed Jaehee’s hand before she even had a chance to shake it.

Chanyeol scoffed amusedly, “Jealous boyfriend.”

Baekhyun yelled something over his shoulder and one of his friends, a blonde pale one, tossed him another gun. Jaehee watched him load it before handing it to her; which she just stared at stupidly. “What is this?”

“It’s a gun. You use it to kill people… like this—“ Chanyeol grinned as he pointed his gun towards her, “Bang! Bang!”

Yah!” Baekhyun scolded as he smacked his hand away. “Point that thing away from her or I’ll this gun in your skull so hard you won’t remember your name.”

“Alright!” He held up his hand. “Geez." Chanyeol grinned at Jaehee. "See you little girl." Before plunging into the fight.

Baekhyun pulled her behind a huge set of broken tables piled up over each other near the corner, creating a barrier. He made her sit and the gun into her hands. Jaehee was going to protest but he stopped her, gripping her hand tight. “I know you don’t want to, but I’m not leaving you unprotected.”

Jaehee heard a gun shot and jumped, hearing guttural screams from the fight happening behind their little hiding place. Baekhyun cupped her cheeks and planted a kiss on her forehead. “Stay here. Behave.”

“I’m not a dog.” She huffed and Baekhyun grinned before pecking her lips. “I’ll be right back.” 

He said before running off; Jaehee, hanging on to his last words like a lifeline.

~~~


The fight was gruesome as the two groups fought each other relentlessly. Jaehee watched from her little hiding place peeking every so often and trying to calm her rapid heartbeats, though it was pretty difficult considering the sight she was witnessing right in front of her: Punching…shoving…screaming…blood…

She watched Baekhyun mostly, making sure he was okay. But Jaehee didn’t think she should worry so much, considering how good he was handling everything. He was a monster in combat; throwing punches like there’s no tomorrow, kicking and maneuvering at the speed of light. No wonder they want him back. He wasn’t kidding when he said he was born to do this kind of thing. 

Jaehee glanced to the right and saw a familiar face amidst the sea of fighting. He was left unarmed and one of the soldiers was pointing a gun at him. Jaehee reacted on instinct and stood up from her hiding place. She walked closer to get a better aim before pointing the gun at the soldier and firing. To her surprise, it was a perfect shot. 

The guy looked at the soldier in shock, who slumped to the ground all of a sudden before letting his gaze fall on hers. 

“Sehun, right?” Jaehee asked, remembering his name when Baekhyun called him in the hallway before. He nodded and gave her a thumbs up. Before he left, Jaehee threw him the gun. He caught it, but protested. “Hyung—“

“Won’t know.” She said before he could even protest or give it back. “You need it more than I do.”

Sehun contemplated for a moment before sighing, “Stay there.” He pointed at the tables and Jaehee rolled her eyes, watching him go. She realized too late that she was in the middle of the battlefield and she tried her best to return to her hiding place, as gunshots whizzed passed her.

Midway to her retreat, she felt a sudden pain on her side; realizing that she’s been hit. Her heart hammered in her chest as she saw the blood sipping through her shirt. She took a deep breath and bit her lip, not letting the pain get to her, as she pushed herself to go back to her hiding spot. 

It just grazed you, Jaehee. She thought. You’re not going to die. 

She was almost there when something caught her eye. Baekhyun was struggling with a man, their hands on each other’s necks as they tried to choke one another. From the looks of it, Baekhyun seemed to have the upper hand considering that the soldier was already on his knees and was beat red. But that wasn’t what made Jaehee’s blood run cold. 

From the corner of the room, she saw Songmi, supporting her wounded arm as she cocked her gun before deliberately pointing it at Baekhyun with a sneer.

Jaehee’s senses kicked in and time seemed to slow down as she ran towards him. Forgetting about hiding, forgetting about the pain on her side, and forgetting about her own safety. All she thought of was one thing and one thing only: Baekhyun. 

The soldier Baekhyun was fighting with slackened and he was just about to stand up when Jaehee made contact, tackling him to the ground just when a piercing gunfire sounded.

Bang! 


Jaehee gasped as it hit.


~~~

(Jaehee’s POV)

Pain.

The pain on my side was unbearable the moment I tackled him to the ground, our bodies hitting the cold hard floor. I gasped at the impact, feeling the breath knocked out of me like I’ve just jumped off a thirty-story building. My face contorted in pain as blood pounded in my ears.

“Jaehee?!” A voice echoed in my head and I opened my eyes only to be met by warm brown orbs staring up at me worriedly.

“Jaehee??” He said again and it sounded clearer. I now recognized the face. It’s Baekhyun. My Baekhyun, I thought. 

Why does he seem far away??

Baekhyun lay underneath me, panting and wide-eyed. “Yah! Park Jaehee!” He sat up, pushing me gently off his body to let me sit on the floor. “Are you—?” His hands roamed down my body and I winced when it made contact with my right side. Baekhyun scrunched his eyebrows at my expression before dropping his gaze to his hand. 

He felt like his heart stopped beating when he saw it drenched in blood. 

Sh*t, he thought. 

~~~ 
(Narrator's POV)


Baekhyun stared in horror at the red stain covering his hands and Jaehee’s shirt. His hands shook as the realization dawned on him: She’s been shot!

“Jaehee!!!” He exclaimed as he fretted over her bleeding side, looking anxious, worried and completely terrified. Jaehee only grimaced, every inch of movement making her side throb even more. 

“I’m fine,” she blurted before Baekhyun had a chance to lift her shirt up. “It’s not her bullet. I was grazed a while ago.” Baekhyun looked at her with worry mixed with relief. He let out a laugh though he looked like he just might cry, “Oh god. I thought—“

Jaehee let out a small smiled before giving him a chaste kiss, forgetting the pain she felt just for a moment. “No goodbyes, remember?”

Baekhyun nodded, sighing in relief. “No goodbyes.”

“Baekhyun!” 

The two of them looked up and saw Chanyeol with another boy, a pale blonde one, holding Songmi by her arms. The other soldiers were either dead or had run away upon the fall of their leader.

Baekhyun’s eyes darkened and Jaehee felt him stiffen as he clenched his fists. “Baekhyun—“

“Do me a favor?” 

She raised her eyebrows, feeling out of breath. From his deep gaze or the pain on her side? It was hard to tell. Whatever it was, she felt happy to have him there in front of her, though sweaty and bloodied. “Close your eyes while I take care of something.”

Realizing what he meant, Jaehee nodded reluctantly, knowing that it has to be done. Baekhyun gave her a small smile and caressed her cheek, “I’ll be right back.”

Jaehee nodded and watched him go, wondering why she suddenly felt hot and so out of breath… 

Baekhyun went straight to Songmi, grabbing her by her neck and pushing her against the wall. She let out a choking sound as she gripped Baekhyun’s wrists. “Baek—“

“You have no right to speak.” He seethed. “I should kill you right here…right now.” 

“I’m sorry.” She said but Baekhyun was too furious to even care. 

He stared at her then took his gun from his holster, pointing it at her temple. Songmi didn’t say a word, just closed her eyes and waited for the bullet to pierce through her skull.

But it never came.

Baekhyun released his hold on her and she fell to the floor, gasping. He unloaded the gun and threw in front of her. Songmi stared at it in disbelief. 

“I never want to see you again. You understand?” He said darkly, staring her down. “If I do, I promise you I won’t be as nice.”

Songmi was about to answer when someone called, “HYUNG!”

Baekhyun turned around and his eyes widened at the sight; his heart feeling like it dropped several floors from his chest.

His breath hitched at the sight of Jaehee, lying on the ground in a pool of blood, with Sehun trying to stop the bleeding on her side. 

He felt like the skies wee suddenly placed on his shoulders as her words echoed though his consciousness:

“It wasn’t her bullet. I was grazed a while ago…”

A while ago…


In a split second, he rushed to her side, feeling as if his heart would burst out of his chest by how fast it was beating. 

No…she can’t be…

Baekhyun held her and jumped at how cold she felt and how pale she looked. “What—“

“She’s lost a lot of blood, hyung.” Sehun said. “And still loosing. I don’t think she’ll—“

Shut up!” Baekhyun spat at his dongsaeng, who evidently cowered in fear. “Shut up! Don’t you dare say that!”

Chanyeol suddenly came to their side, pulling the younger one away. “We need to call an ambulance.”

“Please hurry.” Baekhyun choked and Sehun glanced at his hyung and how broken he looked as he held the pale girl in his arms; knowing quite well in his mind that it would take a miracle for her to survive. With that much blood loss? There’s just no way.

I’m sorry, hyung. he thought, as he let Chanyeol pull him away. 

Baekhyun lifted her shirt up and gasped. That definitely wasn’t just a bullet grazing her… It went right through and now she was bleeding uncontrollably. Baekhyun took of his sweater and with his pocketknife, tear a part of it to wrap around her waist to subdue the bleeding.

Jaehee groaned and Baekhyun softened his hold, “Sorry.” He said, his hands shaking as he tied the cloth around her waist. 

Too much blood, he thought worriedly, trying to keep himself from crying out right there. Not wanting to believe the inevitable…

“Jaehee.” He murmured as he cradled her in his arms, holding on to her right hand. She was already so pale and she could hardly keep her eyes open. But knowing her, she did. She kept them open because she was strong. She held his hand even though the hold was weak. “Hang in there, okay?” He kissed her forehead. “Help’s coming…”

“Baekhyun…” She gasped, her eyes drooping.

“It’s Baek, Jaehee.” He croaked as he brushed her hair from her forehead. He felt a tear escape his eyes as he watched her pale face, struggling to breathe. “Just Baek.” He hiccupped as he caressed her cheek; more tears cascading down his cheeks. “How many times do I have to tell you that?”

“But—“ She breathed deeply and Baekhyun could see how much she’s trying to hold on. “I…don’t…mind.”

“Shh…” Baekhyun said as he held her tighter, even though he himself was shaking with fear of loosing her. “Pabo…why? You could hardly breathe and you want to say my full name—“ 

“I love your name.” She said, her eyes dropping and her breathing slowing. “I love…Baekhyun…” 

Baekhyun felt her grip on his hand weakening and he sat up straighter, his breathing becoming uneven as he cried in a rush, “Okay! Okay, you can call me anything you want just don’t—“ he gasped as more tears fell from his eyes. “Please don’t, Jaehee. Stay with me. Stay with me.”

“I’m sorry—“ She murmured, her voice almost inaudible.

“Don’t apologize yet!” He said angrily. “We’re still alive. You’re going to be all right, Jaehee! We’re going to be all right. No goodbyes remember?!” 

“No…good—“ She breathed, her face no longer contorting in pain, instead it looked almost peaceful; and it scared the hell out of him. “Yah, Park Jaehee.” Baekhyun sobbed as he buried his face on her neck. “Don’t your dare leave me. Please—“

Jaehee felt herself slowly loosing consciousness, but she was able to utter one last word: “Baekhyun…”  

It was so hush it would’ve been missed, but he didn’t. “I’m here.” he cried. “You’re Baekhyun’s here.” Just as he lifted his head to look at her, Jaehee’s eyes fluttered to a close. Baekhyun couldn’t breathe as he felt her hand no longer gripping his; limp in his palm’s embrace. “No…” He gasped as he stared at her in disbelief. “No…no…no!!!” He slightly shook her, “Jaehee!” he cupped her cheek, his tears falling on her pale face. “Please don’t do this!” he sobbed. “I love you! I love you, Park Jaehee!”

Her face was pale and her body turned cold; the life obviously left her and Baekhyun could only sob as he held her close. “God please, no!!!”

The boys watched their friend with their heads down in sorrow; their hearts breaking at the sight of Baekhyun sobbing, his body shaking on the ground with Jaehee’s limp body cradled in his arms. 

Sehun looked away, unable to take the sight. 

She’s dead.

 




3 Days later 

(Baekhyun’s POV)

Empty. 

That’s what I felt as I watched the coffin being buried into the dirt. My Jaehee, being buried deep deep down… unable to see the light of day again.

I didn’t cry after that night. I lashed out, yes; breaking almost every single piece of furniture in my apartment. I was so angry. Angry at the mafia… angry at the world… and…. angry at Jaehee for leaving me when we she promised that there would be no goodbyes.

No. Goodbyes.

What a bunch of bull, I scoffed. But the moment I thought of it, I take it back almost instantly; realizing that if I should be angry with anyone… it should be with myself. Because I took the oath; I chose to get involved; I did this to her.

I told myself that it was going to be fine. That it was okay to get involved when I knew my situation puts people in danger. There’s a reason why I don’t have friends that aren’t like me—fighters… killers. I’m a magnet for danger and I should have just let her go when I had the chance. Just let her be afraid of me that night she saw who I really was. But no, I just had to give in. I just had to try…

And now she’s dead.

I was there at her funeral, but at the same time wasn’t.  I stayed behind watching from a few blocks down. No one looked for me, of course. Because obviously, no one knew Jaehee had an assassin as a friend.

I didn’t think I could face her friends and family, knowing that it was my fault she was there; inside that box being buried to the ground. I bit my lip and clenched my hands into fists as the pastor says his final blessings.

I’m sorry, Jaehee

I’m sorry.

 
~~~

I went to the bridge right after, a place where I usually go to when I wanted to think or just be alone. It was made of stones and had a wide path, enough for bikers to pass through; and two huge arcs underneath. It crosses a river and I always found the place calming, with the flowing waters looking beautiful as it glinted in the morning sunlight.

But today it was different. As I lean my hands on its parapet, looking out the river and city view, the currents looked almost inviting…

Yah! If you’re gonna jump, do it fast while no one’s looking.”

I looked up to the sound of a familiar voice and saw Chanyeol and Sehun walking towards me.

“What made you think I’d want to jump?” I asked monotonously.

“You’re on a bridge, you look like a walking zombie, and you’re wearing black!” Chanyeol exclaimed. “Who wouldn’t think you were going to jump?”

YahHyung!” Sehun said, punching him with the back of his hand. He looked at me and said, “Hyung, you can get through this—“

“I wasn’t going to jump.” I scoffed and rolled my eyes. “So you can save your counseling. You should know well that suicide would be too easy.”

“Then what are you doing here?” Sehun asked, looking slightly worried.

I opened up my coat and retrieved something from my pocket: my pistol, my favorite one since I became part of the Mafia. I raised it up for them to see and before they could comment, I pulled my arm back and threw it into the river.

Yah! What the hell!” Chanyeol exclaimed, his eyes wide and his hands fisted in his hair. “That was a beautiful gun! If you didn’t want it you could have just given—“ Sehun smacked him in the head. “Hyung!”

I chuckled as I placed my hands in my pockets, looking at the view once again. “Sorry. But I don’t want it anymore. I’m done with this kind of life.”

“Well that’s too bad,” Chanyeol said as he sat on the parapet, looking at me with that grin of his. “The mafia just lost its leader and—“

I let out a sarcastic laugh. “What makes you think I’d want to fill in? I quit, remember?” I spat, giving them a fierce look. “And why the hell would I want to be part of it again? After they tried to kill me? After they killed her!” By that time, I didn’t know that I was already yelling and the two of them were staring at me, waiting for me to calm down.

A pregnant silence hovered over us as I glanced back at the river, hoping for the impossible: a tsunami maybe, to swallow me whole and just make me disappear.

“Revenge.”

I looked up and looked at Sehun who had a fierce look in his eyes. “What?”

“For revenge.” He said again as he stepped towards me. Sehun was tall for his age and he was almost a few inches past my height. Once we were face to face, he reached out his hand behind him. I stared curiosuly as he placed a familiar-looking black pistol on the parapet in front of me.

After a few heartbeats I looked at him, “What is this?”

“A gun—“

“I know it’s a gun.” I rolled my eyes. “I’m asking why are you giving me one when you clearly saw I just threw one away? Why can’t you understand? I don’t want to—“

“It’s Jaehee’s gun.” Sehun said and my heart stopped at the mention of her name. “What?”

“It’s Jaehee’s gun. The one you gave to her before you went into fight.”

I stared at the gun, remembering, and I wanted to touch it; to hold it as if by mere contact Jaehee would become any less real. “What’s it doing with you?” I murmured.

“She saved my life.” Sehun said. “She shot the soldier I was fighting with that night. I was unarmed and she went out of her hiding place to save me.” Sehun looked me in the eye. “Look, hyung. I know you want them to pay for what they did to her—“ he pointed at me. “What they did to you! And trust me when I say that I’m on your side.” He sighed. “I owe her my life and I’m forever grateful.”

“Why are you telling me this?”

“Because we’re offering you a chance at revenge!” Chanyeol said a matter of fact, jumping from his seat and grinning excitedly.

“I don’t understand.” I said. “How is going back and being the new leader of the mafia be revenge?”

“What better way than to destroy it…than from the inside?” he smirked.

“With you being the new leader, we can tear it down from within. Change everything. Destroy everything.” Sehun said.

“You do realize that the mafia we just faced is only a piece in the chest board, right?” I countered. “A sub-unit—“

“We know.” Chanyeol rolled his eyes. “We’re not that stupid.”

Hyung, with you as leader you can work your way up, dominate the higher ranks and destroy it once and for all. Don’t you want that?!” Sehun pressed.

I do. I thought. I really do. “I—I don’t know.” I said as I looked away from them, staring out at the river.

“You don’t have to decide now, hyung. We understand—“

“No, you don’t understand.” I spat; remembering Jaehee’s fearful expression upon seeing me with a gun in my hands. “You could never understand.” I muttered.

They fell silent for a while until someone clapped my shoulder. I glanced up and saw Chanyeol giving me an encouraging smile, “Just think about it.”

With that being said, the two of them left, leaving me alone; alone with the gun silently staring up at me.

I crossed my arms and stared out at the river, thinking about their offer. It wasn’t a completely idiotic plan…in fact, it was a good one; risky, but brilliant, nonetheless.

What better revenge than to poison the enemy… from the inside?

The currents rushed through the bridge, mimicking the thoughts running through my head. I glanced down at the gun and thought about Jaehee; the girl stolen from me…  The time stolen from us.

I held the gun, feeling it against my palm. I shouldn’t be holding this, I thought. I should be moving on…

But the temptation was too strong and my hatred was too deep to be ignored. Putting down the gun, I leaned both hands on the parapet as I remembered Jaehee’s bruised state when I found her locked up in that musky room; her pale face as she struggled for her last breaths and died in my arms; her bright smile and pretty eyes that I will never ever see again…

“They’re going to pay for what they did to you.” He said darkly, the sound sending chills down Jaehee’s spine. “I’ll make sure of it.” 
 

That was all the encouragement I needed. And as I pushed myself from the parapet, I walked away.

But not before placing the gun on my belt loop, concealing it underneath my dress shirt.

 

 

 

END

 


ATTENTION!

Only click THIS once you’ve read it :))

Thanks for reading!

Comments/Feedback/Questions are welcome! :D

-KayeAllen12

  •