The Attack

Midnight's Child

CHAPTER 2
the attack

            The blood spurted out from its stomach and she was sure that some of the blood spiked her face. She can’t move, every time she tried to move the waves of pain hit her like a trainwreck. It was painful, and she didn’t know what to do. Luhan swung his blade, dodged, and stabbed its thing again. Its thing never died—that was Rena saw—even Luhan had stabbed it multiple times, it still didn’t lose its strength. Feeling annoyed, Luhan shoved out another little knife and stabbed it without any hesitation. He twisted it a couple of time before the thing broke and became ashes. Luhan sighed in relief, and the clock rung again.

“,” Luhan muttered and went over to Rena, he picked up Rena and he located her left hand around his neck. “C’mon, Rena.”

The pain has subsided. Rena’s vision started to get clearer and sharper; her leg still gave out a dull pain. She could bare it. Rena let Luhan helped her; she needed help. Luhan dragged Rena as he tried to run. Luhan leaded her into the kitchen, locking the door, and ran again. Rena coughed several times before they both fell down. Luhan hit an iron counter, and Rena hit the pavement first. Luhan growled in pain, rising up from the fall and looked absolutely pissed. Rena was muttering a few curses before she rose. Luhan looked at her in hurry before he shifted his gaze into the locked door—which kept making noises despite there were things out there, growling and bumming its door.

“You okay?” Luhan asked, sweeping his gaze around the kitchen. He noticed some knifes in the counter, sitting and wanting to be use. Luhan picked two of them and he kept it one in his pocket.

“I’m fine.” Rena said. Her legs still crying in pain, but apart that, she was fine.

“Good—oh .” Luhan muttered in surprise as the door started to shake in frantic. They could hear some funny noises from out there, and Luhan seemed not to bother by that. In the other hand, Rena was amazingly scared about the noises, the perfume, and the bumming. Luhan held a sharp knife that she usually use to chop octopus, but she presumed that soon it would be full of blood.

Luhan ran through the kitchen, randomly running everywhere. Luhan went to the left, but when he opened its door it led them into a garage that full of food stocks. He was lost, and Rena started to walk faster in front of him—planning to lead him into the exit, but to no avail; the creatures were starting to make its way into the kitchen, running brainlessly and approaching them in frantic. Luhan took another knife from his pocket and spun both knifes skillfully.

He started to fought and, it looked like he had been trained to kill the creatures; with a splitting head and a human body. Everything looked so terrifying for Rena, who never experienced any of it. The creatures were brown but pale, it was full of sticky thing; inside their head there was this huge teeth that was supposed to crush the opponent’s body. Their hands were reaching out, trying to pull them. Luhan ducked, and stabbed the thing before it turned into ashes. Then, a second wave came, with a much more creatures; Luhan kicked one of them and held the heads before he continually split it from their body. Rena was holding herself, telling herself to not cry and yell because it might lure any creatures in the building.

Luhan spun the knives again before he deftly killed two creatures in two seconds, and then the last creature came forward. Luhan pulled a fridge and made it fall so it covered the path. The creature trapped and was reaching out in frantic. Rena went into a complete silence and Luhan decided to took a break on murdering creatures.

“You okay?” Luhan asked again, and this time, Rena was not very okay; looking at her best friend’s boyfriend kills many things cold-bloodedly, ran by things that she didn’t expect to exist, everything was completely tangled.

“Not okay.” Rena cried in terrified. Luhan turned back and looked confounded but at the same time, irritated. Rena admitted that she probably was being a pure scared-cat, but the creatures that probably will only exist in games, and did not scary at all. But the creatures that just hunted them down was pure terrifying.

“Rena, just don’t make me in a bad mood okay?” Luhan said sharply, which she was never to expect that. Luhan was always being a soft-romantic guy that only existed in books and movies. But this person, was somehow funnily alive.

“You murder lots of people!”

“They are not people!”

“You just kill them coldly, you are a cold-blooded murderer!” Rena was starting to yell in frantic.

“Have you seen a peace-loving killer?”

“I suppose not.” Rena was mumbling now, and she decided to stop talking. There was a complete silence, and Luhan finally managed to provide air. His chest rose and fell ever so quickly, and sweats were running down from his forehead. His mouth slightly parted to provide more air for his lungs. He looked restless, yet his eyes still stood in the battlefield.

She was still clinging onto the door’s trail, shaking silently. Luhan took a deep breath before he took the knife and stabbed the creature right in the middle of it head. It fell to the ground, and scattered into pieces of ashes. To her surprise, the ashes were also gone too. Luhan leaned against the wall and put its knife into his pocket. His delicate fingers ran against his hair to keeping it away from his gaze, he swept some beads away and poked his head in to see the path was clear.

“C’mon, we better move.” Luhan was the first one to left the restaurant and Rena followed her in astound. But Luhan seemed not to feel anything but tired. Rena still astounded by the creatures, and how Luhan had killed them skillfully and strong enough to parted their body off. Everything seemed just came into a flash, and everything would be better—but it didn’t. The reality didn’t came back, or it supposedly not. Looking at the creatures that only exist in games and books, were terrifying plus that was hell more scary than games. Then, looking at Luhan killed those things cold-bloodedly was even worse—it was worst.

“What are those things?” Rena whispered beyond terrified. Her body shook frantically, and her eyes were dark and shining under the moonlight. Her pathetic eyes were looking straight to Luhan’s, telling and probably screaming that she was terrified. Luhan pursed his lips into a firm line before he pulled her into a hug. Rena involuntarily buried her head against his collarbones. He was so thin until she could feel his cheekbones very clearly. Luhan patted her back slowly as he muttering ‘shhh’ silently into her ears. Rena finally knew why Yuna always love being in his hug. His hug was simply filtrating, breathtaking, warm, and comfortable.

“Thanks.” Rena pulled her body away from him.

“That was demons—Iblis type.” He finally answered.

“I thought demons only exist in hell.”

“Well, I live in hell, Rena.” He shrugged and leaned against the brick wall. Both of them were in a narrow alley that connected the main street with another block. It was dark, and it was dim; only one light that lighted up to accompany them. It also flickered in dissatisfied, and Luhan started to sigh heavily. Suddenly, Rena could feel the suppression on her body faded away slowly. The demons all died and Luhan could kill any of them if they appeared.

Finally, both could feel a safe silence on the alley. The alley seemed scary, but inside was much scarier. Rena decided to go beside Luhan and leaned in. She squatted and buried her head between her legs; she had no power left and she needed to go home right now. Her chest turned to rose and fell frenetically. Despite the running and all, she was frail and she desired to die—but that would be more complicated.

“I hope you are fine,” Luhan spoke. “Because we need to move on.”

“I need to go home, it’s past twelve.” Rena said breathlessly.

“You can’t.” He sounded hesitate.

“What do you mean?” Rena jerked her head up as she looked into Luhan’s eyes. His eyes were shining under the moonlight, and his hair disheveled—even so, he was still looked in full pieces.

“You can’t—we can’t.” He said.

“You are so funny, I’m going home.” Rena faked a laugh before she continued to bury her head between her legs. She was drenched, and she needed to sleep.

“Why are you so stubborn, Rena?”

“Because I am what I am.”

“You are absolutely crazy.” He shook his hair in frustration.

“You call me crazy?” Rena stood and shot a glare on Luhan. She was clearly furious, about everything. “You kill Mr. Chung’s neighbors and part their bodies, stab them into ashes, and you called me crazy?”

“Shut up, okay? You don’t know anything.” He pressed every single word he said, he pinned Rena into the wall and both stared for a long time. Rena shivered ran down to her spine, feeling an odd and suspicious aura around him. After forever, he pushed himself backward and shoved both hands into his pocket, trying to remain calm. Rena was stunned by his did, after all, she never expected that he would do such thing. As far as Rena concerned, he was only a famous ordinary jock that loved Yuna.

“Okay.” was the only thing she managed to say.

Then, both went into a complete silence. Rena; was too exhausted to talk and Luhan; was catching his breath. Somehow, the atmosphere were too quiet to be normal and it felt like a piece was still missing, even though the puzzle seemed to be completed; it still had something that both Rena and Luhan couldn’t pinpoint it. Rena was about to open , only to close it as she heard a loud scream inside the restaurant.

Luhan—who recognized—running frantically to the restaurant. Rena immediately followed him, she may be exhausted but she felt the urge to run. Luhan bumped the door to open it and as he got into the main room, he found himself stunned by what was happening there.

Yuna,
the girl he loves,
slumped to the ground as something stabbed her stomach.

Her face was so pale, and her lips turned into a dead white. Luhan felt himself getting more helpless and exhausted. The man behind her, shook Yuna with his left foot before he stepped across her. The man grinned beneath the dim of light, and it showed his white teeth. He opened his hands and smiled ever so cunning. He hooded and Luhan could see some runes beneath its hood. He didn’t show his face, but Luhan didn’t need to know that. He knew.

“Luhan,” He said. “What a surprise.”

“Don’t touch her.” Luhan pressed his word sharply.

He shook his index finger before he turned around and squatted right next to Yuna. He caressed her cheeks and Yuna started growling in pain. Luhan went into a dead paralyzed as the man kept caressing her cheeks that made Yuna kept growling in pain. It seemed that his touch was lethal. Luhan’s face became white and paler; even so, he silently took his knife out from his pocket and hid it behind his back.

“Don’t you dare,” Luhan gritted his teeth in displease. “Touch her.”

“It’s too late.” The man replied, feeling disgusting at his reaction. “Shadowhunters can’t fall for mundane.”

Luhan clenched his knife tightly as he silently observed both—the man and Yuna—‘s face. He was not ready to tell Yuna the truth, in fact, he never will. Yuna was the only human that Luhan found interesting and irregularly beautiful; she was alive, unlike the other kids. She was free, young, and beautiful. Ever since Luhan came to its school, Yuna had gained his attention. Then, he was able to make her his, and he would never to get over it. Luhan eyes were dark, and gleaming under the darkness. There were sparkles in his irises that tell everybody that he was dangerous.

“That was past, Ren.” Luhan said after forever.

“C’mon, Luhan,” The man—Ren—pouted in archness. He was definitely hinted him to give him something, yet the latter never noticed it or hinted back something. He was getting furious and impatient about his own show. “Give me something.”

“No.” Ren found finality in Luhan’s tone. Luhan was obviously furious, both were. They must end it here—or Ren must. Ren smiled and his teeth came gleaming against the darkness. He was observing Luhan’s emotions through his face; he always did that.

Luhan clenched his teeth before threw its knife into Ren. Ren moved away before the knife could stab him. He crouched sideways and he his lips before he smirked. He shook his index finger in sly; he was absolutely not amused by his throw. He was doing a lot of smirks tonight and Luhan despised it as much as he despised the fact that Ren touched Yuna.

“Not a good throw.” He shrugged.

“I am not a good thrower.” Luhan answered.

“Well, you should be because you will need that.” Ren was laughing now. He was losing his mind and he needed a more interesting show than now. Luhan could do that, but he wouldn’t do it because it was just the same as giving him a present. That was not he purposed. Luhan had lost its rational and he couldn’t think properly anymore; he threw another knife at him and Ren still could move away.

“Oh, Luhan,” He clicked his tongue. “You don’t throw like that.”

“Just shut up.” Luhan ran to him, pinned him against the wall. Ren laughed wholeheartedly and shot a punch on Luhan’s ribs. Luhan cried in pain and stepped back before Ren started to attack him again. It was nerve-wrecking, Luhan was too occupied by predicting his movement. Ren was busying himself by picking Luhan’s patient.

Luhan! Are you okay?

Luhan shocked by the voice in his head. He thought he was just imagining things, but no. He never said anything nor did imagine things. He hadn’t say a word ever since his sudden attack. He turned around and found Rena at the edge of a door that connected the main-room with the kitchen. Rena’s eyes were rounded and red, full of awareness. Her lips slightly trembled and her nails turned white as she clenched her hands against the iron door so hard.

I’m okay. But—

“Well, well. What do we have here,” A sly laughter filled the room. Ren cannot contain himself after he found Rena standing in the edge of the door. Rena taken aback by his laughter, and so did Luhan. He slide over Rena, protecting her from any dangerous actions by Ren. Ren took a step forward before he applause, it rang against the wall. The clock rang its bell several times before it went silent. “A gift!” He exclaimed.

Luhan, please, take care of Yuna. I can protect myself.

Quiet, Rena. I’m going to save you both.

Then, their thought went quiet. Nobody talked, or did things. Everyone in the room remained calm and unnerving. Rena’s heart thumping and feeling like bursting into pieces. The atmosphere was slowly killing her, silently and deadly. But what bother her now was; was she had been consider a gift? But what was that supposed to mean? Then, an excruciating pain shot up from her chest; it was the feeling of guilty and miserable. Yuna had passed out, and Luhan was trying to protect her by his life. This was not making sense. And the thought that the creatures sent by Ren was the worst scenario.

“Wow,” Ren spoke; there was a hint of amusement beneath its tone. “You are a miracle, Rena.”

“How do you know my name?” Rena asked in confused. She let go her grip on the door, let the door closed—bumping against another iron silently. Ren laughed in satisfied as he stared at the pathetic look on Rena.

Rena, don’t speak.

Why—how did he know my name? We never met.

He has every ability that we can’t even think about it.

"That's an understatement, Luhan," Ren laughed, as if he knew what they were talking about. "I'm more, like the high-class demons."

Rena stopped and went dead silence, stunned. She has so many questions to ask, but Ren looked like he did not open a q&a kind of session. She didn’t want to get kill, yet. She needed explanation about all of this: creatures, Ren, and Luhan. Everything was unnerving and every move seemed like wrong. Rena involuntarily took another step forward, standing at the same place as Luhan. Luhan held her left hand to prevent any stupid moves from Rena, he knew from the start; Rena would never listen to anything.

Rena, please don’t.

Luhan’s plead rang through Rena’s brain, but Rena ignored it.

“Take me, not her.” Rena spoke, silently but still big enough to echoed. Luhan’s grab tightened and Rena knew how much he feel scared, his palm was sweating much and it felt cold. Rena shivered down to her spine. She was afraid, and so he was. But she needed to be brave for her best friend. She yanked Luhan's hands, and walked closer to Ren. Seeing how close Rena was, Ren didn't budge. He only looked at her in interested, debating something and sometimes looked at Yuna.

"I'd love to." Ren answered in dark delightment.

He stepped forward, closer and closer to Rena. She could feel her whole body was shaking simultaneously and something inside her was shifting back and forth. She was so damned scared, but if it meant saving Yuna's life, she should do it. Ren smiled only to wrap it with a frown. He wrinkled his eyebrows before he straightened his back, he looked relaxed, even he didn’t. Something was not right to Rena, and Luhan stood there like a statue. Ren’s eyes shone a light of ambiguous and a mix of black. His irises went black and there was some sort of particle of light that flashed in his eyes. The clock rang loudly again before everything went dark.

 


I hope it is okay for you all, I'm sorry if there is any mistakes on grammar. The usual editor is back! that is why I decided to put it in times new roman to make it neater. I hope you guys like it, er, yeah. I always welcomed opinions, critics, or any advices through the comment sections:)