Chinese Restaurant

Midnight's Child

CHAPTER ONE
Chinese Restaurant

            It was 18 November, which was the last day of school before the winter break. However, for Rena, it was nothing but only a day that would come once a year. People would brag about it all day; thinking and talking about what should the group do throughout this winter. Rena would find it disturbing, and decided to go to the top of the hill; feeling grateful that she be able to relax her mind. Rena wasn’t that particular person that would brag about it and being noisy throughout this last day, in fact, she was saving her energy to work over this winter break.

She needed more money to save the family’s financial. Her family apparently went through a lot of hardships; her dad was in the state of Coma—and it happened out of the blue—and her mom had no other work to do but to work three times a day, in which she was rarely at home. Then, to build a better financial, she decided to work at one Chinese restaurant. She worked almost every day—except Sunday, but these Sundays she would work extra hours to get a nice money—so, she didn’t have time to go on a pool party or ski party, and whatnot parties.

“Rena!” A voice came through her ears like a plane, fast and shrilling.
Yuna.
She knew it, despite the crisp yet shrilling voice that only particular people have. This cannot be doubt that it was Yuna.

As she looked up, the latter’s brown hair was tousled by the wind, her white skin shined below the sunlight, and her lips were slightly cracked regardless of the cold and dry weather. She held some books and clapped it on her chest so they didn’t slip down. Her chest moved frantically, screaming for more air. By the time she got here, she fell beside Rena and started to supply herself with air. The breath slowly sank down and it became steadier.

“Will you stop being frantic for your whole life?” Rena asked, swallowing down a sudden urge to laugh. Yuna shot her a glare before it softened and she laughed.

“Okay, Okay.” She answered, still laughing—and probably she would laugh for the rest of the day. That was she always did, but no, today she was different; she stopped her laugh and looked at me, in different way. “I’ll miss you.”

“Wow,” Rena grinned. “Never expect you to say that.”

Yuna gave her a disbelief glare before she shifted her black irises onto the view. The view was a landscape of the school; some students were hanging out around the school—punching and talking to each other, decided to give themselves a break for getting through the year. The hills also showed a view of the football field of their school. A bunch of boys were playing there, also celebrating for the same reason. Everything at this point was free, young, and wild.

“Rena,” She called, still not averting her glance on Rena. “I’ll miss you.”

“Yuna, I’m not going to die any sooner. We will meet next month,” Rena said. “Okay?”

“Okay.”

“We could Skype or IM you!” Rena said again, blurting out any possible way to communicate with her when they would live separately for a while being. “Miles could not separate us.”

“Cheesy.” She feigned a throw-up and they both laughed genuinely, not because it seemed surreal that they both would separate, but they were enjoying the time they had with ease.

“You know me.” She shouldered her and Yuna leaned into Rena’s side. Yuna put her left leg above Rena’s leg, and they both were silence.

“I can’t believe I have to visit my damned dad in the middle of nowhere.” Her fingers ran through her hair and shook them in frustration. Yuna and her mother decided to visit her ex-dad somewhere in Africa. She never really liked her dad, so she always tried her best to give him bad words. It wasn't like Yuna hated Africa (or whatsoever) but it was just her dad was so annoying, and he happened to live in Africa -so she came up with the idea that wherever her dad was, it would be a nowhere to Yuna. They leave tomorrow, and Yuna despised it for she hasn't prepare any insults to her father. Yuna would've stayed here with Rena, but her mother wanted some bonding family time. So, she didn’t have no choice but to agree on the damn trip.

“It was only a month, I’m pretty sure you are strong.” Rena said.

“Well, yes, but—“

“Kick his if he dares do anything!” Rena interjected, and Yuna chuckled.

“You are kidding me.” She rolled her eyes and pushed her shoulder gently.

Then, both of them were silent. They just were examining its view carefully. Everything was beautiful up there, and it was ugly from down there. It was just a matter of view; a wrong view could lead into ugliness. The school was not certainly big, the school was rather small but the field was one hell. The structure was less minimalist—in fact, it wasn’t at all. It was more like Korean’s traditional school, just like every school in the countryside.

“Let’s meet up, tonight.” Yuna spoke.

“I had to work.”

“Oh right,” She eventually answered. “That big-fat guy.” She nodded her head several times.

“You are so mean.”

“I’m telling the truth.”

“He is my boss.” Rena said again.

“Well, you could find another boss.” Yuna said. “I’ll meet you up there at nine o’clock, is that fine?”

“Perfect, I’ll make sure Mr. Chung left first.” Rena winked and stood up. She dusted off her uniform before she smirked and ran off and slowly speeding its speed, she stopped and jog; only to looked back on Yuna. “Race me first.”

Yuna looked at her skeptic but she ran anyway. They were running down the hill, the wind picked them up but they never bothered by it. Running down the hill with a chill wind was better, but running with best friend was even better. They were laughing throughout their run, it was never been this better. They had ran for many times, but this was probably their favorite since they discovered the hills.

“You cheated!” Yuna exclaimed as they got there. Yuna steadying her breath and stretched her back. Rena slowed her pace and looked back, she grinned ever so big. She won, and both of them already predicted that. One, Rena was quite a runner. Two, Yuna gave up. She thought that it would be more fun, and it did.

“Well, I run first.” She spread her arms in excitement. She walked back and then, she hit something soft. She was about to turn around, but Yuna yelled her boyfriend name, Luhan.

Rena sighed inwardly as her best friend ran against him and hugged him.

Rena shifted uncomfortably. She looked like she walk straight into a middle of something, which she did. Luhan was a jock, famous, and a bit stiff for Rena's liking. He never been in relationship, and this was the first time for him. He was smart and blessed with charming personality. Everything about him was ideal.

It was a total opposite with Yuna; she was pretty, famous, but free soul-ed girl.

Yuna always felt uncomfortable to leave Rena alone to date so she always trying to make it up by dragging Rena into their dates, but she always refused it. She won’t be the third wheel, and she would not ever. That was the worst. Seeing the couple hug and kiss in front of her was sort of disgusting and uncomfortable for her, only for her. She didn’t know what cause that, but she plainly hated it. Even she shipped the couple, she would never want to see a couple kiss and hug in front of her, which would make her pathetic and depressing. Thinking that she was the only one who hadn’t in relationship never popped in her mind, but whenever its couple came, it bothered her brain.

Yuna came into realization and looked back, she flashed a smile, and Rena could tell that she was uncomfortable. “See you at nine.” Then, Rena decided to smile back and disappeared from the view.

“What are you doing here?” Yuna asked to its lover. He was still embracing her body, swinging it slowly, enjoying the rhythm of wind..

“Looking for you,” He grinned and kissed her forehead, which made its girl shivered. “Where were you?”

Yuna pointed on the top pavement of the hill, turning around and Luhan started to embrace her from back. He picked up some strands of hair that came to Yuna’s face. He smelled her and smiled under her hair. Yuna smiled genuinely and held his hands that located in her stomach. They went silent, looking at the scenery of hills were already perfect. Yuna leaned her body and Luhan’s hands shifted to her collarbones. Yuna let her head slide on his collarbones, smelling his sweat were painful despite they would separate about one month. Yuna was never going to let go of him, and he was never as well.

“You skip class?”

“Yes, Math,” He chuckled beneath her hair. “That .”

“It , really.” Yuna convinced him more, and both started to laugh.

“I’m kind of frustrated right now,” He answered, mumbling on her hair.

“Not with me,” Yuna said. “No frustration with me, deal or no deal?”

“Deal.” He laughed, shook her hair several times before he broke the hug and changed it into holding hands.

“Don’t break it.” Yuna gave him a curious glance, and she broke it as he gave her a nod and well, a smile.

“Fine, but I need... distraction."

"I'm down for any chocolate milkshake." Yuna smiled eagerly.

 

[][][]

 

            “You are going to be here, right?” Rena asked through the phone. Yuna called. She told Rena to hold the restaurant a couple more of minutes, her mom didn’t fall asleep yet so she can’t run away now. She had told Rena if she would put a sleeping tablet on her drink, but Rena against it so she decided to wait for her to fall asleep—that was the most patience decision she would ever made.

“Sure, sure!” She sounded so hurry. “I’ll be there in ten minutes.”

She hung up.

Rena sighed and propped her hands against the wooden counter. It was nine thirty, and she presumed that she would be here on ten—which was late, and the fact that she was in a big and dark restaurant alone made her feel restless. Only a dim of light accompany her for the past three hours, and she wouldn’t mind that. Waiting for thirty minutes more wouldn't painful right?

Mr. Chung, her boss already left on eight. She asked him to leave first in case Yuna arrived earlier. But she never did anyway, and she had expected it either. Her mother was not a very sweet mother in the whole world; she caught Yuna silently went out in the midnight thrice, and she wouldn’t make it easier for her.

Rena straightened her back and decided to clean the entire restaurant, for the second time—Mr. Chung had a bad sight—to kill times. Rena was tired and sleepy as well. She didn’t get chance to sleep between her shift, and there were only seven workers who still came to its restaurant. Mr. Chung didn’t allowed her to take a break, but he promised that he would grant any of her wish. Her first wish was a higher pay, but he declined it immediately. Then, her second wish was to leave first—so he did. However, she regretted it. Not because Yuna didn’t come in time, but because Rena should’ve convinced him to make her pay higher, and she didn’t.

She stared at the wooden clock, ticking ever so steady as if it didn’t get tired to count numerous seconds. The clock, amazingly, had ran for the past 5 years. It antique and seemed pretty lame, but it didn’t. It always hanged in the middle of the room, when it strikes twelve o’clock the clock will rang until it past one minute. Then, it never rang again.

Rena jumped and examined the main-door intensely as the bell door rang. There was a figure, black and tall, she didn’t get to see its face because he was covered in darkness. Rena sharpened her sight, and took a step forward. The figure stayed there, standing still like a statue. It probably did not even breathe. There was a strange aura that Rena couldn’t even pinpoint, the perfume smelled ticklish through her nose. She never loved perfumes. Silence blanked them.

“Yuna, is that you?” Rena spoke, managed to take a step forward. She walked carefully. “Yuna?”

The figure started to saunter, slowly, carefully, and suspiciously. Everything about it was somehow dark and irregular. As he walked, she could see that it was a man—and that definitely wasn’t Yuna—; his jaw was sharp, and his eyes were big, his lips were rather small for a man. The distinct features were so clear that it was a man and his hair disheveled.

“It’s me, Rena.” A familiar voice rang through the walls.

Rena sighed, “Luhan.”

Luhan stepped out from the darkness, and came closer. His chest fell rapidly as if he was just running from something, and Rena could see that several sweat-drops fell against the pavement. Rena felt relieved, and uncomfortable, thinking that Yuna might have sent him here to accompany her for a while. Luhan’s eyes were dark, and there were flickers that told her to stay put and careful—so she did. Luhan formed his lips into a firm line before he caught his breath.

“Did she send you here?” Rena asked.

“Wait—who’s—what?” Luhan’s face looked perplexed; he straightened his body and sat next to me.

“Yuna,” Rena said. “Don’t try to play dumb.”

“Yuna? She would never.” Luhan shook his head, still feeling a little breathless.

“Breath, Luhan.” Rena patted his back softly and rubbed it so Luhan could provide his lungs enough air. Luhan caught the rhythm of her pats and took a deep breath before his breath went into a normal. He jerked his head and mouthed ‘thanks’ to her so she could stop.

“Yuna? What about her?” Luhan questioned.

“You don’t know?”

“No!” He said, sharply. “She would never ask me to do this.”

“This?”

“Running to find you.”

“You wanted to find me?”

“No,” He said. “I wanted to ask you a favor.”

Rena was hesitating to answer his statement; they weren’t very close, yet he decided to ask her a favor. That was kind of tight for her, and Luhan made Rena look like a third wheel and that would made it very clear. Rena opened , only to closed it because the clock had rung. She turned around and stared at its clock; ten-fifty. It shouldn’t have rang, probably it was broken—thinking it already live for five years—but then the perfume started to stab her nose. She covered her nose and glared at Luhan.

“What perfume do you wear?”

“We—“His words got cut out because the bell door rang again. Rena stomped there, thinking that she should kill Yuna for bringing Luhan here, alone, and with perfume. Behind her, Luhan, Shook his head many times and trying to sharpen his sight by icing his eyes.

“Jesus, Yuna, what took you so long?” Rena cried in frustration. Her hands ran against her hair in stress. Leaving her with Luhan was worst than trying to drag her into their dates.

The next second, all the glasses were cracking into million pieces before a loud bang came shrilling through her ears. She found herself lying helplessly on the pavement, a pain on the leg started to stab her veins, and her gaze were hazy. She couldn't move from all of the shock. All she could see was Mr. Chung's restaurant glass was spilling everywhere, and the thing with red eyes and awful face. It growled. She saw it, but all of it was a blurred memory. She couldn’t find which one was real; but one thing that she sure, Luhan had stabbed its thing with a blade.


 

So, this is the first chapter I've promised to be enticing is unluckily not as enticing as I had expected. I'm really sorry if there are any grammar errors throughout this chapter -I didn't proof read it, because I'm too lazy and I'm not in the mood because the scandal hits me so bad. Okay, I don't even want to talk about it. Nonetheless, Enjoy and I'm anticipating your opinions through comments thanks!