Home

Fighting Fires

...

...

(2 years later)

“Hurry up, Ma-ru!” an exasperated Hee-jin called up the stairs. “I don’t want to miss it!”

“I’m coming, I’m coming,” the put-upon Maru mumbled under his breath as he hunted through the mound of clothing lining the floor of his closet for his jacket. “It’s not like there’s going to be much to see.” In the nearly three years since Min-woo had been born, what little fascination babies held for him had worn off. He didn’t see how Hee-jin could be so excited about getting her own little brother when she routinely witnessed all the mess and trouble his created.

Downstairs, Ga-eul smiled and put a loving hand on Hee-jin’s shoulder. “Don’t worry. Having a baby takes a long time. We won’t miss it. Besides, you have a whole lifetime ahead of you to be a big sister. You’re going to be a great one.”

As if emphasizing the point, Min-woo toddled up and lifted his chubby arms toward Hee-jin, wanting to be picked up.

Though she was not yet eight and a little on the small side, Hee-jin was wiry and strong, and she swung the ever-growing Min-woo up into her arms with ease, kissing him affectionately on the nose. He, in turn, launched into an enthusiastic but garbled account of some squirrels he had seen at the park yesterday. Hee-jin nodded along sagely, looking for all the world like a miniature Jan-di.

Finally, Ma-ru made his entrance, a long-suffering sigh revealing what he thought of the day’s itinerary, but when Hee-jin turned to look at him, he had carefully schooled his face into a more agreeable expression, not wanting to get on his noona’s bad side. He liked being with her better than being with anyone else in the world, boy or girl, even if she was sometimes silly about things like babies and dresses. For her, he would endure.

Ji-hoo wiped the thin sheen of sweat from Jan-di’s forehead and gave her what he hoped was a reassuring look. She was clearly exhausted, and he wished that this brief respite between contractions could last longer, but before she’d taken three good breaths, the next wave was upon her, demanding and relentless. Bearing down once again, she labored to push their child—their son—into the world.

Jun-pyo had never mentioned the details of Hee-jin’s birth. He hadn’t told Ji-hoo about the noise and the blood and the fear that now gripped him as he saw the pain on Jan-di’s face, so he didn’t know if everything was all right or not. He just focused on Jan-di, whispering encouragement to her, holding her hand, and praying silently that it would be over soon. His fingers ached where Jan-di had squeezed them during her contractions, but he didn’t move. If he could have, he would have traded places with her.

With great relief, he heard the doctor’s reassuring voice. “The head is crowning. Just two or three more good pushes, and he’ll be out!”

With a last burst of effort, Jan-di focused on bearing down, pushing with all her might. A cry of pain escaped her as the contraction peaked, and Ji-hoo’s eyebrows drew down in concern. He’d never felt so helpless. But on the next contraction, the baby’s head and shoulders finally pushed free, leaving Jan-di sobbing in relief.

Quickly, the doctor cleared the boy’s airway and cut his cord, then handed him to a nurse. She wrapped him carefully and placed him in his mother’s arms. When the doctor and nurses had finished their ministrations, they left the room to give the couple a few moments of privacy.

Ji-hoo ran gentle fingers down Jan-di’s cheek, his eyes moving over her face, her arms, her body beneath the sheets, as if trying to convince himself that she was all right. She smiled up at him sleepily. Looking down at their son—he had a son!—in her arms, he felt himself flooded with fierce pride. “You,” he whispered, “do you know how amazing you are?”

A tear trickled from the corner of her eye, and he leaned down to kiss her forehead as he wiped it away.

“Here,” Jan-di said, and moved to place the baby in Ji-hoo’s arms. “What should we name him? I’ve been thinking about it… Perhaps we could give him your father’s name?”

Ji-hoo gazed down into his son’s dark eyes, taking in the sight of his slightly curling hair and his tiny features. The boy blinked owlishly at him, then started to squirm, a mewling protest on his lips at being taken from his mother’s side.

Ji-hoo grinned, then looked up at his wife. “I think,” he said firmly, “we should name him Jun-pyo.”

At this, a new freshet of tears sprang from Jan-di’s eyes. Embarrassed, she tried ineffectually to blink them away.

“What’s wrong?” Ji-hoo asked with a frown. “You don’t like it? It’s okay—we don’t have to. If you don’t want—”

“It’s perfect,” she said softly, and reached out to rest her tired hand on his leg. She looked fondly at their son, starting to settle down to sleep in Ji-hoo’s arms. Her heart swelled with emotion. “Yoon Jun-pyo,” she mused, a beautiful light growing in her eyes.

Just then, the door to their hospital room burst open, and Hee-jin rushed in, a fuzzy brown teddy bear clutched to her chest. “Is he here? The doctor said he’s here!” she burst out breathily.

Jan-di laughed quietly, then gently shushed the girl, pointing to her sleeping brother. Hee-jin grew instantly still. “He’s… so… awesome,” she declared reverently, climbing up onto the hospital bed beside Jan-di to get closer.

Ji-hoo ruffled the girl’s hair affectionately with his free hand. The warmth of the slumbering Jun-pyo spread through him, and he marveled at the realization that all he had ever wanted was here in this room with him.

As Jan-di’s eyes met his over the heads of their two children, a look of joy shone from her face, and Ji-hoo’s heart gave a familiar leap. Once again, in his mind, he could hear the words of the temple monk, spoken to him so many years ago:

“Cherish her. That girl is going to make a family for you.”

He had believed that he would always be alone, but from the first day they met, Jan-di had changed all of that. He would never stop being grateful.

With his family gathered around him and his friends waiting outside the door, Yoon Ji-hoo closed his eyes and offered up a silent prayer of thanks.

THE END