Into the Wild

Fighting Fires

...

...

Jan-di was amazed at how quickly the cool, green quiet of the botanical garden had burst into a flurry of highly orchestrated activity. She had to admire Ji-hoo's planning. In almost no time, the trees were strung with lights, a dozen chairs appeared in rows, and flowers were woven through the arched entry of the gazebo itself. Jan-di's mother and Ga-eul had set the pond alight with a small fleet of floating candles. Together with the lanterns around the gazebo, they pushed back the rapidly falling darkness with their golden, flickering glow.

The garden staff had erected a tent a short distance away where Jan-di could change into the short white dress that Ga-eul had brought her to wear for the ceremony. She stood there now, looking at her reflection in a full length mirror, hardly able to believe the turn this day was taking. Was she really about to get married? Ga-eul had handed off baby Min-woo to Yi-jung before following Jan-di into the tent to help her get ready. She was currently fussing over Jan-di's hair, coiling it into a sleek chignon at the nape of her neck and releasing a few tendrils to curl gently around her ears. Jan-di's mother was on the other side of her, wrapping ribbon around the stems of a beautiful bunch of flowers that Ji-hoo had gleaned from the garden around them for her bridal bouquet.

"You're almost perfect," Ga-eul pronounced as she tucked the last wayward strand of hair into place and stood back to look her over.

"Almost?" laughed Jan-di.

"You're missing one thing," Ga-eul said, producing a small box from her pocket. "Ji-hoo sunbae asked me to bring this from your apartment. He said you would want to wear it."

Jan-di opened the box and had to blink hard against the moisture that sprang to her eyes. Inside was her moon and star pendant from Jun-pyo. Since she and Ji-hoo had begun to date, she had left it at home more and more, somehow feeling that it would hurt him to see a constant reminder of the man who had first claimed her love.

Seeing it now, nestled in its velvet box, Jan-di was struck again by how fully Ji-hoo knew her inmost heart. Not only did he understand her memories of Jun-pyo, he embraced them as a part of her. As she lifted the delicate chain and fastened it around her neck, a wave of love and gratitude rose up in her for the man who waited not far away to finally take the hand of his bride.

She was not going to keep him waiting any more.

Jan-di stepped out from under the white canopy of the bridal tent into a world transformed. There were lights strung along both sides of the path, illuminating her way back to the lotus pond. Her father and daughter were both standing nearby when she emerged, and Hee-jin immediately ran into Jan-di's arms. "Isn't it beautiful, umma? It's like we're in a fairy forest!" her rapturous declaration brought smiles to the faces of the adults standing around. "Sunbae said I could be the flower girl," she boasted proudly, holding up her basket of white and pink rose petals for Jan-di to see.

Hee-jin was also wearing a white dress, and a yellow sash tied around her waist was the same color as the shiny patent leather shoes on her small feet.

"Oh! I have something for you, Hee-jin-a," remembered Jan-di, dashing quickly back into the tent to retrieve the butterfly clip they had bought for her that morning. Placing it in Hee-jin's hair, she told her, "Ji-hoo sunbae bought this for you today. It matches your dress and shoes."

Hee-jin reached tentative fingers up to her head and delicately touched the green and yellow wings. She looked up at her mother. "Are you and sunbae really getting married?" she asked.

"We are," answered Jan-di. "Why? Don't you want us to?"

"It's not that," protested Hee-jin. "I like sunbae. It will be fun to have him live with us. Plus, he's a way better cook than you!"

Jan-di laughed at her daughter's bluntness.

Hee-jin shuffled her feet, looking down at the ground. "It's just… when you give sunbae my room, where will I sleep?" Her brow creased in worry.

Jan-di gathered her sweet girl into her arms, stifling laughter at her innocent question. "Hee-jin-a, after sunbae and I are married, he and I will sleep in the same room. You'll still have your own room; I promise."

Hee-jin was reassured. She hugged her mother around the neck. "I'm glad I don't have to share a room with a boy," she said, giving Jan-di a sympathetic look.

Jan-di did laugh this time, and smoothed Hee-jin's hair back behind her ear affectionately. "Well, now that we've cleared that up, shall we go see what sunbae's up to?"

The girl nodded, grinning. She took her place in front of Jan-di and started down the path toward the clearing, already scattering rose petals even though none of the guests could see her yet.

Jan-di, on her father's arm, walked behind the enthusiastic flower girl. When they rounded the curve and saw the dreamlike scene before them, she gasped. Hee-jin was right. It seemed like a fairy tale come to life. For a moment, she was frozen at the head of the makeshift aisle, stunned by all that had happened in the last few hours. But then she saw him. Her firefighter.

He was standing at the end of the aisle, dressed in a dark grey suit that showed off the wide set of his shoulders. He wore no tie under the jacket, just a white cotton shirt open slightly at the neck. But Jan-di barely noticed his clothes. She was caught in the depths of his eyes.

The way Ji-hoo was looking at her now made her breath catch in . Warmth spread through her as if a tiny sun had taken up residence inside her chest. Her feet seemed to move of their own accord as they carried her closer to the man who had been both friend and soulmate to her through the most tumultuous years of her life.

Ji-hoo couldn't tear his eyes away from Jan-di. For a moment, he was reminded of the day long ago when he had watched her walk down another aisle, to another man, one whom Ji-hoo loved as a brother. The memory didn't hurt as it once had, and it flew away on a rush of joy as Jan-di stepped boldly forward to stand at his side. She was dressed simply, in a sleeveless white satin sheath that ended just above her knees. No long veil, no fancy lace, no elaborate train flowing along behind her—just a spray of colorful flowers clutched in her hand. He thought she'd never looked more beautiful.

The ceremony was simple and from the heart. Ji-hoo smiled down at Jan-di, holding her small hands in his large, warm ones as she repeated the priest's words, promising to love, honor, protect, and live with him for the rest of her life. Exultation welled up inside of him, threatening to burst free in a shout of triumph, but instead he pulled her into his arms and claimed in a short but fervent kiss that left her breathless.

"We haven't come to that part yet, Yoon Ji-hoo-ssi," the amused priest remonstrated, and everyone laughed except for Yi-jung, who was still staring slack-jawed at this uncharacteristic burst of passion from his usually reserved friend. Was this really the laconic and cool-headed boy he'd known since youth? Glancing over at Ga-eul, whose eyes were shining as she watched the couple, he realized that he, too, would be unrecognizable to the acquaintances of his youth. I guess love changes you, he mused. Either that, or it strips away your outer layers and reveals what you truly were all along. He slid his arm around Ga-eul's shoulders affectionately. And to think, I almost missed my chance. Thank you, Ga-eul-yang.As if she'd heard his silent thoughts, she looked up at that moment and winked, placing a warm hand on his knee. Then Min-Woo squirmed in her arms, recalling her attention with a flailing yank on her hair. She smiled as she disentangled the warm, drool-covered fingers.

When it was Ji-hoo's turn to speak, he nodded to the officiant. "The groom has prepared his own vows," the priest explained, and stepped aside, bowing to the couple. Ji-hoo released Jan-di from his embrace with a grin and once again took her hands, his thumb grazing her knuckles as he looked into her face.

Jan-di's awareness of their gathered friends and family dimmed under Ji-hoo's gaze until she was no longer conscious of their presence. For a moment that seemed to stretch into years, the two of them stood alone in the light of the garden lanterns, and then Ji-hoo spoke.

"I still remember the day I met you, Geum Jan-di. From the first moment, you fascinated me in a way I couldn't explain. I was a lonely, solitary boy, so locked up in my hurts and my losses that I thought the only way to face a cold world was with a cold heart. I had my friends, and they were precious, but I never allowed them any closer than I wished them to be.

Then you came along. What a strange creature you were to me. This clumsy, loud, fearless slip of a girl, intruding on my life and pushing through all the careful barriers I had built around my heart. The warmth of your friendship melted the ice inside of me, and your stubborn meddling reunited me with my grandfather. It dawned on me slowly, too slowly, what a precious person you were to me, and by the time I realized how I felt about you, it was too late.

I can't say I wasn't jealous of Jun-pyo, but when I saw the love you two shared and the way that your love transformed my friend, I promised myself that I would protect it, no matter what. Even when I couldn't be with you, your happiness was mine.

The path that brought us here has been rocky, Jan-di-ah, and marked with loss as well as laughter. But I am what I have been since the moment we met: yours. I pledge my life, my heart, and all that I have and am to you. I promise to love, honor, protect, and live with you for the rest of our days. Saranghae, Jan-di."

Jan-di threw her arms around him fiercely, unable to speak through her emotion.

Watching from her seat, Ga-eul squeezed Yi-jung's hand, smiling to herself as her manly husband surreptitiously wiped away a tear.

Ji-hoo wasn't done with his vows, however. Releasing Jan-di, he turned to Hee-jin, crouching down so that he could look at her face to face. She smiled shyly at him.

"Hee-jin-a," he began, returning her smile with one of his own, "I know you don't remember your father, but he was my best friend. He was so happy the day that you came into the world. He loved you and your mother with all his heart, and even though he's gone, he will always be an important part of you. Even though I can't take his place, I promise that I will take care of you and your mom the way he would have if he could. I promise to listen to you and to help you and to be there for all the important moments in your life. I promise to hold you when you cry, to carry you when you're tired, and to bandage you when you're hurt. I promise to always be your sunbae, dear one. I love you, Hee-jin."

Reaching into his pocket, Ji-hoo pulled out a thin gold chain with a small heart charm dangling from it. The little girl's eyes twinkled as he fastened it around her neck. She reached up to touch the charm wonderingly for a moment before following her mom's example and throwing her tiny arms around his neck. Laughing, he picked her up and swung her around in a circle before placing her back on her feet. She promptly ran over to her grandmother to show off her new necklace.

Love beamed from Jan-di's face as Ji-hoo returned to her side, and her eyes welled with unshed tears. Understanding passed between them like a warm breeze.

The priest was clearly a little choked up himself as, at last, he declared the young couple husband and wife.

Ji-hoo kissed his bride.

Hours later, Jan-di stood at the window of the massive hotel suite Ji-hoo had arranged for them and looked out at the city lights, enjoying the quiet of the night and the subtle fragrance of lavender wafting up through the slightly open window. Her mind darted here and there, alighting on memories of the whirlwind day behind her.

After the wedding, they had shared a loud and joyful dinner with their friends and family before seeing them all to the airport to catch a late flight back to Seoul. Little Hee-jin had fallen asleep in the car and had to be carried to the gate by Woo-bin. Yi-jung walked along beside him trying to keep the still lively Ma-ru in his arms from waking up his noona. Jan-di's parents had hugged her and their new son-in-law with smiles in their eyes before boarding, leaving Grandfather to have the final word with the young couple.

"Jan-di-ah, I have wanted to say this since I met you: Welcome to my family." He put an arthritic hand on each side of her face and said, "Feel free to give me great grandchildren right away. I'm not getting any younger, you know!"

Jan-di blushed scarlet, but chuckled all the same, full of affection for the old man. He embraced each of them one last time and then tottered up the ramp, a triumphant grin lighting his face.

Finally, when they were alone, Ji-hoo held out his hand to his wife. "Should we get started on Grandfather's request right now?"

Jan-di smacked his arm playfully. "Ya! Yoon Ji-hoo! You've gotten brazen!" Still, she slid her hand into his and let him lead her back to the waiting car.

Now, as she stood staring into the dark, listening to Ji-hoo's shower run, she found herself growing nervous about the night ahead. She'd only been intimate with one man in her life, and the thought of being and vulnerable like that with someone else was intimidating. What would it be like, sharing a bed with Ji-hoo?

It's not as if you've never done this before, Geum Jan-di, she lectured herself sternly, trying to master the butterflies in her stomach. She thought back with a rueful smile to the jitters she had felt on her first wedding night. She and Jun-pyo had flown to New Caledonia for their honeymoon. Wanting to surprise her, Jun-pyo had booked a cabana at the same resort where they stayed on their first trip together. Jan-di had expected Jun-pyo to move quickly once he finally had her behind closed doors, but instead he had busied himself with calling room service, unpacking their suitcases, and anything else he could think of as a distraction. Finally, with some surprise, she had realized that he was as tense as she, and nearly as inexperienced. Despite hanging out with Yi-jung and Woo-bin during their club-hopping days, he had never shared their taste for casual hookups. Consequently, his first night with Jan-di had been a learning experience for both of them, sweet and awkward and perfect. She still remembered how changed she had felt the next morning, as if the two of them had stepped across an invisible line together into an uncharted land.

Standing under the hot water, Ji-hoo fought to slow his racing heartbeat. He wasn't nervous, exactly, but he had waited so long for this moment that he was a little afraid of overwhelming Jan-di with the accumulated strength of his desire. There had been other women, but it had been so long that tonight might as well be his first time all over again. When he'd fallen for Jan-di, years ago, shallow encounters had lost their appeal for him. As much as he wanted her physically—his every cell was on fire with it—that was only part of the closeness he longed for. Now that they finally belonged to each other, he wanted to give Jan-di all of himself, and have all of her. He was done holding back.

Turning off the water, Ji-hoo reached for his towel and quickly dried himself off before wrapping the thick hotel robe around his body. As he tied it at the waist, he looked at his foggy reflection in the mirror and took a long, deep breath. Running a careless hand through his damp hair, he resolved to take things slowly with his bride, to make this night about showing Jan-di his love for her in every way possible.

Jan-di was still looking out the window when she heard the bathroom door open, but she didn't turn around. She held her breath as she waited, straining to hear the whisper of Ji-hoo's bare feet on the plush carpet of their room. She shivered a little, whether from anticipation or the chill of the room, she didn't know.

Unaware of the surprise wedding Ji-hoo had painstakingly planned, she hadn't packed any nightclothes remotely suitable for a honeymoon. Instead, she was wearing a rather childish grey cotton nightshirt with pink buttons down the front. She cringed inwardly, wishing that Ji-hoo's detailed scheme had included something lacy and black and guaranteed to knock his socks off. It hadn't been lost on Jan-di that every time they'd been on the verge of giving in to the passion between them, Ji-hoo had been the one to gently disengage and calm things down. For once, she wanted to see him swept away by the inferno that regularly threatened to consume her. Let him be the one who was out of control. Geum Jan-di, she thought with an inward giggle, who knew you would turn out to be such a wanton woman?

Suddenly, without warning, he was there behind her, and her quiet amusement dried up. She could feel the heat of him just a moment before he wrapped his arms around her and pulled her back against his chest. They stood like that for a few quiet moments, both gazing out at the still wakeful city. When Ji-hoo spoke, she could hear the smile in his voice.

"I have imagined this moment so many times." His arms tightened pleasantly around her, and his warm breath brushed her cheek. "But my fantasies didn't even come close to how I feel right now."

Jan-di leaned into him and closed her eyes. "I'm still having trouble believing that we're really married," she confessed. "Everything happened so fast."

"Well," Ji-hoo countered playfully, "I suppose I could try to convince you." Slowly he reached up and lifted her hair away from her neck before lowering his head to brush his lips against her sensitive skin. She stilled instantly, in a small breath of surprise and pleasure. Ji-hoo took that for the encouragement it was and continued his downward course, pulling the neck of her nightshirt aside to bare the shoulder it was covering. He burned a trail of kisses there, ending in a gentle nip with his teeth. His large hands moved to grasp her slender waist, and she dropped her head back to give him greater access, murmuring, "Ji-hoo-ah" in a breathy voice.

Hearing her say his name like that almost did him in. He made a noise in his throat and turned Jan-di around so that they were standing face to face. her cheek softly with the back of his knuckles, his eyes burned into hers. “I love you, Jan-di. I have for so long. I think I was born to love you.”

Jan-di smiled crookedly at him and laid the palms of her hands against his chest. “You’re very good at it.”

Burying his fingers in her hair, he captured her lips with his own. She answered his passion with surprising fierceness. For long moments, Ji-hoo lost himself in her response. Hungrily, his hands moved over her pliable curves. She felt the familiar heat spreading through her body as their kisses slowed and deepened. He was taking his time now, his tongue exploring and inviting her, and she found that she no longer cared what she was wearing. His mouth was hot, and his strong hands pressed into the small of her back as he pulled her more fully into his embrace.

Jan-di was barely aware of it when Ji-hoo swept her up in his arms and carried her to their bed, laying her down softly and stretching out beside her to renew his attention to her lips. Nearly drunk on the taste of her, he moved on, his kisses grazing the line of her jaw and trailing down . His head dipped lower, searing her with desire. With his free hand, he began to unfasten the buttons that ran down the front of her nightshirt, increasingly eager to eliminate the layers of fabric still separating him from the woman he loved.

Jan-di, carried along on the tide of sensations coursing through her, had left her nervousness far behind. All she could think about now was being closer, closer to this man. As her body responded, her mind flashed through a slide show of memories: Ji-hoo holding her close, Ji-hoo rescuing her on his motorcycle, Ji-hoo making her laugh, Ji-hoo cooking pancakes—her soulmate, there all along and giving his everything to her even when she couldn't give him anything in return. Her hunger for him took on a new dimension as she was filled with a longing to pour back into him all the love he had lavished on her over the years. She arched her back, straining to press herself more firmly against Ji-hoo's long, lean body.

A low moan escaped his lips, and he shifted her underneath him until his body covered hers. When she reached with sure hands for the tie of his robe, he didn't stop her. Moments later, it landed on the floor, followed quickly by her nightshirt.

There, in the sweetly scented darkness, they crossed together into their own uncharted land.