Flightless

Phoenix

The sun has just risen and the sound of birds chirping becomes the beautiful morning. The newspaper boy rides through the neighbourhood throwing the early morning paper. Only a few people can be seen out on the streets either taking a walk or preparing to leave for an early day at work.

 

Kyungsoo walks out the front door with a coffee mug in hand and a piece of toast hanging from his plump lips. He’s still wearing his sleep clothes, an oversized T-shirt and a loose fitting trouser. He’s finished with his toasted bread when the newspaper boy makes a stop at his house.

“Good morning, Kyungsoo.” The boy greets with a broad smile. Kyungsoo approaches the boy and takes the paper that is handed to him.

“Morning, Sehun.” Kyungsoo smiles at the boy.

Meeting Sehun on early weekday mornings have become somewhat like a ritual to Kyungsoo and same goes for the other male. They’ve been friends as long as they can remember and when Sehun took the job of delivering newspapers last summer, well you can say Kyungsoo promised to cheer on his friend the first few days on the boy’s job and somehow it’s become an everyday thing for him.

“Is the Chief up?” Sehun asks. Kyungsoo nods. “Dad’s having breakfast right now.”

Sigh. “Breakfast…” Sehun says dreamily. Kyungsoo chuckles at his ever hungry friend. “Minseok didn’t feed you or what?”

“My evil brother sleeps like the dead Kyungsoo. You and I both know that.” Sehun deadpans.

Kyungsoo laughs. “Finish up the job. You’ve got only a block left.” Sehun pouts. “After that, I’ll feed you.”

“I love you, Do Kyungsoo!” Sehun yells happily as he rides down the street.

 

 

 

Kyungsoo turns around to enter the house only to stumble back in shock. “Dad! I told you no sneaking up on me!” The boy yells in shock.

The middle aged man chuckles at his son’s wide eyed reaction. “Aigoo, my baby boy is so cute.” The man slaps his palms against his son’s cheeks and coos. Kyungsoo just stares at his dad with a disgusted expression. “I sometimes can’t believe you’re the Chief of Police.”

The man shrugs his shoulders and takes the morning paper from Kyungsoo. He looks around their lawn. “Water the lawn while you wait for Sehun.” He waves a hand at his son and prances inside the house.

Kyungsoo scowls. “You’re EVIL!”

“And you said daddy was your HERO all those years ago!” His father’s voice is heard from inside.

 

 

 

 

Sehun sits inside the Do’s kitchen pouring himself a glass from Kyungsoo’s favourite juice brand. His doe eyed friend is making him some toast bread and scrambled eggs. Sehun hums along the morning radio.

“Are your parents coming back this week?” Kyungsoo asks.

“Yeah. How did you know?” Sehun sips his juice and replies.

Kyungsoo turns off the stove and puts the eggs on a plate. “Mum told me. I heard they’re staying only a few weeks.”

Sehun sighs and places his elbow on the dining table putting his chin on it. “Yup… I sometimes think they don’t want to stay with us. They’re like, still on their honeymoon.” Sehun makes a disgusted expression.

Kyungsoo just shakes his head with a smirk and gives his friend the plate of food. “At least they don’t do it in front of you. My parents are a different case altogether.” Sehun shivers.

“Do not remind me. I’m still scared from that dreadful encounter. I was ten, ten!” Kyungsoo laughs and Sehun joins in.

“I see you two boys are enjoying your time.” Chief Do’s voice startles the two boys. The two gulp and face the older male. “Now, boys… I think the backyard needs a little help from my two special gardeners.” The man gives the two boys a sinister grin.

“Oh shush, honey. Don’t go all ‘commando’ on these two sweethearts.” A female voice chides.

“Mom!” “Aunty!” The two boys say in union.

“Good morning boys.” Mrs Do smiles sweetly at her two darling boys.

Chief Do just sulks and mutters under his breath. His wife smiles at him and adjusts his uniform and gives him a kiss with a ‘see you later’. The man leaves, but does so after giving Kyungsoo and Sehun a look that assured their doom if they didn’t look after the garden.

 

 

 

 

 

The sun shines down on the two sweating boys who are engaged in their gardening duties. Mrs Do smiles at the hardworking boys and prepares a treat for the two.

Kyungsoo stumbles against the trunk of the evergreen tree beside the small pond and deflates with a sigh. Sehun crawls towards him and does the same.

“I swear your dad is an evil man.” Sehun heaves and says. Kyungsoo seconds the comment.

Mrs Do comes out the back door with a tray of freshly cut fruits and cold beverages.

“And I swear your mom’s an angel.” Kyungsoo makes a heart at his mom.

 

Sehun wears some of Kyungsoo’s clothes after taking a shower at his place. He jumps on his friend’s bed and sighs in content. Kyungsoo enters his room and sits on his study chair. “Why don’t you just move in?” He asks mockingly and opens his laptop.

“Believe me I would if it weren’t for your evil dad.” Sehun gives him a muffled reply.

Kyungsoo makes a ‘tsk’ sound and ignores his friend. He opens his files and skims through the latest pictures he took. Sehun turns around to face his friend and frowns at his friend’s lack of interest in him. He choses to just take a nap and hugs Kyungsoo’s pillow against his chest.

 

 

Kyungsoo hums along the song playing through his head phones and observes the pictures as if looking for something. It takes a while to go through all the images. He clicks on the next image and observes it. His eyes momentarily widen in disbelief. He zooms in on a particular spot and frowns.

The zoomed in portion shows a sketchy image of a tall male standing just beside a tall tree. Kyungsoo feels like he’s seen this person somewhere. It gives him a nostalgic feeling, but he can’t really put a finger on it. He fingers the side of his left chest where a pink birth mark lay. It seemed to itch occasionally these days, especially these days.

Sehun abruptly sit up on the bed yelling something about a food thieving Minseok. Kyungsoo just sighs and shuts off his laptop and pulls Sehun down the stairs for lunch.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Hello~ 

Here's the second chapter. Just a little peek at Kyungsoo's life. 

Chansoo in the next chapter~ 

Enjoy the read and leave comments <3 <3