Prologue

We'll meet again

 

Living in the big city. It’s something everyone dreams about where I’m from. I grew up in a rather small town and my mother always promised me that one day, I can live out in the city if I worked really hard and so I did. I’m currently in my first year majoring in History. My parents were never really fond of my passion for it and always told me to aim for something much higher just like my brother.

 

I just like history. There is no particular reason why, I just like it a lot.

 

Moving away from my small town made me realise the true value of it. It was rather peaceful and quiet when the kids next door weren’t around. The air was much cleaner and the people seemed a lot friendlier. But to be honest, staying away from my high expecting parents makes up for all of that. My parents have always compared me to my brother.

 

I was smart but he was smarter.

 

I was pretty, but he was handsomer.

 

I was good but he was just better.

 

Even my own name makes me live in the shadows of my brother.

 

 

“Next.” The harsh tone of the barista cut off the girls thoughts. She looked forward to see that she was the next up in the line and moved towards the counter before scanning the menu. Not wanting to hold up the queue, she ordered a simple mocha, something she always ordered and proceeded to pay before placing her wallet back onto the counter. The barista took her name and wrote it onto the red coffee cup using a black marker pen and passing it to his co-worker.

 

 

That reminds me, Kyungsoo said he was going to come back next month.

 

 

Her older brother, Do Kyungsoo moved to the States in order to continue his higher education. The boy was the star of the family and had always been the family’s favorite too. However, his sister didn’t want him to come back to Korea. He had spent quite a couple of years in the States now. By now he’d be fluent in english. He graduated from a good university and had good looks to go with it. He could have easily found a bride and settled down in the States but instead he decided to come back home. Their home town was rather small and did not have many job options for Kyungsoo and therefore he had plans moving in with his little sister until he finds a place of his own.

 

 

“Excuse me, if you don’t mind could you move out of the way?”

 

 

Her thoughts were interrupted yet again by another voice. It didn’t belong to the barista in front of her but instead it came from behind her. Although the voice belonged to someone different, it also had a slight annoyed and irritated tone to it which contradicted with the politeness of his words.

 

 

The young girl moved out of the way and let the stranger pass.

 

 

“Sorry.” She mumbled loud enough only for him to hear.

 

 

He didn’t respond. He either didn’t hear her or he chose to ignore her. It was the last thing she could care about.

 

 

He didn’t look too much older than the girl. She’d say he’d be just one or two years older. No more than three. His height was average, around a head taller than her. His jet black hair contrasted with his fair skin. His black hair made his features stand out more. His droopy looking eyes weren’t the ‘ideal’ big and round eyes everyone looked for but they added charm to him. He was indeed very handsome.

 

 

The more she looked at him, the more she felt it.

 

 

Deja vu.

 

 

She felt as though they’ve met before. She felt as though she knew him. To her, he felt familiar. It was an undeniable feeling that he wasn’t just a mere stranger. He was a lot more than just that. The feeling made her heart sink deep.

 

 

“Do Kyungsoon!”

 

 

All eyes turned towards her including those of the stranger. They made eye contact and she felt it again.

 

 

Deja vu.

 

 

“Have we met before?”

 

 

She had no control of what she said. Her heart wanted to speak out. She had to know whether the feeling was mutual. Whether she was just thinking too much.

 

 

The stranger was taken back for a moment. He took a couple of moments to take a good look at her.

 

 

“No, sorry I don’t think we have.”

 

 

She expected this answer but was slightly disappointed. Without hesitating any further she just bowed once before going to collect her Mocha from the barista.

 

 

What has gotten into you. You just met him today, of course he won’t know you!

 

 

She turned back and walked towards the exit, trying her best not to make eye contact with the stranger. As she was about to open the door-

 

 

“Hey, wait!” It was him, he called out to her.

 

 

She slowly turned around to see him walking up to her.

 

 

“Your wallet. Be careful next time.” He handed her the wallet and watched her clumsily placing it back into her bag. She looked up to see him still there staring at her. She felt a little uncomfortable so her eyes shifted away from his gaze until finally the baristas voice interrupted once again.

 

 

“Byun Baekhyun.” The boy suddenly shifted the gaze back to face the barista who was waiting with another completed order. Judging by his reaction she assumed that it was his turn. He was about to walk to the counter but she stopped him.

 

 

“Thank you.” She said politely. He turned around to look at her again and she bowed her head slightly and smiled before turning back.

 

 

That was her first encounter with him. The boy she assumed was called Byun Baekhyun. However, it may not be their last.

 

 

They’ll meet again…

 

 


Authors Note - This is the Prologue for all of you guys out there. Please anticipate this fanfic. I have a lot prepared (in my head) and I hope to work on it over the summer (in two weeks). For now, I hope the Prologue has caught at least some of your attention ^^.