Fields of Gold

Fields of Gold

 

Two young people move side by side throughout the quiet vast field, the sun hanged low in the orange coloured sky. A petite cute girl is sitting contently on a tall black horse trotting calmly, while a tall older boy is cautiously holding the horse's reins. He let her ride under that condition. Being very experienced with horses himself; he makes sure that her ride goes smoothly.

 

"I want to hold it too please..." She pouts at the boy, motioning the reins for the umpteenth time that day.

 

"No way."

 

"But I'll be careful, please... Besides I've seen you do it at least a hundred times and it's not even like I'm gonna make him jump obstacles like you do during competitions! I just want to direct him by myself please...I'll keep the same pace"

 

"Alright Sungmin... but be careful because Siwon's got quite a temper"

 

She nods firmly and holds the reins smiling from ear to ear. The first few meters go pretty well and Kyuhyun relaxes a bit.

 

"You see I'm perfectly able" she says, sticking her tongue out playfully.

 

To further prove her point, she settles a quicker pace, looking down smugly at the walking boy. 

 

"Sungmin slow down please..."

 

Just to provoke him, she accelerates and that's probably one of the dumbest things she did because as Kyuhyun runs behind her, scolding her to pull the reins instead of kicking's Siwon to make him go faster, the horse accelerate a bit more until the point where he gets a little too excited, and when an innocent butterfly flies around his eyes the situation becomes desperate. Siwon begins to writhe and stops going straight, making Sungmin panic and struggle to avoid the unavoidable sliding down.

 

"AAH!!"

 

Her shout almost provoke Kyuhyun a heart attack as he quickens his run to the girl, who is now sprawled on the grass with a look of shock on her face, her blonde locks messily fanning her head. The horse however stands a few feet ahead sheepishly. 

 

"Sungmin are you hurt??"

 

The stunned girl stares up directly at Kyuhyun's face that incidentally blocks the sun's light from hitting her eyes. Her head must have hit the ground pretty hard because she swears she can see little angels dancing around the tall brunette's handsome face while the sun creates a halo around him. Her body hurts uncomfortably as he worriedly checks for any pain or scratch on her body.

 

"Min...?"

 

His guilt is slowly dimming as he makes sure that her limbs move normally. She's intact - except from possible future bruises. But he notices that her bottom lip is slightly jiggling and her eyes are moistening.

 

"Kyuhyun I..." 

 

He looks at her expectantly.

 

"...my hurts."

 

She blushes.

 

And maybe it's not really his intention or it's just a way his body found to alleviate the worry and guilt he felt, but Kyuhyun can't suppress a hearty laugh from escaping his mouth.

 

That of course doesn't get a positive response. Instead of laughing in tow like she would usually do, Sungmin's eyes widen and soon enough glisten with unshed tears.

 

She must be really embarrassed by the situation, did he go too far once again? Kyuhyun's panic automatically returns. Maybe she truly hurt herself, broke her coccyx for example, he should never have let her ride it was so damn stupid of him.

 

"Sungmin listen I'm sorry don't cry I...here take my hand"

 

He crouches down and offers his hand to help his friend stand up. The girl takes his hand with a sob that makes Kyuhyun feel even guiltier.

 

He tries to pull her up but then in turn she suddenly pulls him down with force, making him lose his balance and crash down on the grass as well, and landing next to her. Before he can comprehend the situation, she sits on top of Kyuhyun, straddling him like an amazona, any trace of tears gone off her pretty face. Instead she laughs down at him.

 

"Hahahaha! You guys are so gullible! Of course I'm slightly hurting Kyuhyun, I fell down a horse for god's sake, but I'm more solid that I look, remember that. You all need to remember that. Do you really think girls cry that easily??"

 

He looks dumfounded at her. Wasn't she upset just a second ago? What- he really doesn't get it.

 

"Lee Sungmin I thought you got badly hurt! And what with this disobeying, I told you to slow down but you didn't listen and I couldn't even help you, what were you thinking, what if you broke your neck falling!! I'm supposed to keep you unharmed!!" He gradually raises his voice as worry took over.

 

The girl looks at him, silently bearing his scolding before a giggle escapes .

 

He frowns, confused by her behaviour.

 

And soon, uncontrollable fits of laughter shake her whole being as she wiggles onto the boys’ lean body. Tears of laughter blur her vision effectively making her completely unaware of the boy's red face.

 

She finally manages to catch her breath.

 

"Sorry Kyu...but you looked like my father just now it's so scary... Listen, I'm fine now really, and I'm very sorry I went too far, I should have listened to you and not put myself in such a situation. I know you and father want me to be safe all the time but it's just that... Sometimes I also need to make mistakes you know, to do things by myself and face the consequences"

 

He sees the sadness she feels behind those words.

 

"I just want you to be safe... I mean your father trust me to keep you safe and I intend to do just that. So don't do foolish things Min..."

 

"...or my father would be mad at you and you don't want that, I get it Kyu."

 

Her tone changes as she says those words, and she refuses to meet his searching eyes.

 

"Be safe Min... I need you to be safe that’s all"

 

His words are sad and his tone gentle and low. She plunges her eyes into his and she sees nothing but pure care. So much that it sends her insides trembling. Barely bearing the intensity of their gaze, she breaks the contact and straightens up thus making the boy gasping for breath.

 

"Sorry, I must be heavy!"

 

She tries to lighten her weight on him, but being too busy in moving, unclenching her tights and repositioning herself, she misses his uncomfortable expression and his embarrassment to the her movements.

 

"Min..." He moans out.

 

The girl stops all movement, realization of their proximity hitting them. She finally seems to notice their awkward position but somehow, she doesn't really want to stand up, not daring to move again and provoke another painful moan from the boy. But what kind of painful... She's not that heavy and she's not compressing his body or something but Kyuhyun's breathing is heavier than earlier. And his low moan from earlier echoes endlessly in her ears.

 

So attractive.

 

Come to think of it, it's actually nice up here, being on top of the older boy, with a nice view on his handsome face staring up at her, framed by brown seemingly soft hair, his smooth neck and collarbones, his opened shirt revealing toned skin underneath.

 

 

"Girls blush easily though" he manages through his still pained expression, casting an amused smile at her.

 

She squirms a bit from embarrassment of being caught up staring shamelessly at him, but moving makes her almost lose her precarious balance and sliding down for the second time of the day - except this time it's her childhood friend she's riding. The tall boy reacts quickly to hold her waist and maintain her in previous position. Sungmin's own hands naturally find support on his stomach and she can't help feeling the subtle muscles underneath.

She gasps and blushes even more.

 

Too caught up in the moment, she almost doesn't realize that one of his hands had left her waist until she feels his warm palm gently sliding up and down the soft skin of her tight not covered by her short. She notices that his face morphed from embarrassed into soulful eyes.

 

"Maybe we should go back Kyuhyun, it's getting pretty late..."

 

The boy doesn't answer but instead, his hand reaches the trembling girl's cheek and caresses it softly. Her heart beats very fast.

He has always been like an older brother for her, taking care of her and scolding her whenever she made a mistake. She felt like his baby sister every minute of her life she could remember...except for this one, not now when he's looking at her like that. Not with this intense gaze that she feels penetrating through her body.

 

His warm palm stays on her soft cheek while his thumb his ghosting over her pink m-shaped upper lip. She lowers down unconsciously.

 

 

 

"Lee Sungmin, are you still out there??"

 

Sungmin straightens up immediately, hearing her father's distant voice. The teens look into each other's eyes silently, like waiting mutely for something to happen.

 

"Sungmin! It's almost night time where are you??"

 

They suddenly see Kyuhyun's horse move in direction of the voice of his original owner, compromising their hideout.

 

Sungmin begins to panic and feels so guilty about her previous thoughts towards the older boy, but Kyuhyun's hands once again hold her waist as she tries to stand up, his look imploring her to stay hidden with him a bit longer, for some reason she can't think of.

 

But she shakes her head with a scared face; she has to assure her father that she's okay as soon as possible.

 

"Kyuhyun please..." She whispers in a pressing manner but the boy refuses to move.

She can't give in to Kyuhyun, her father has priority now.

 

 

 

 

"...Siwon? What are you doing here alone without your owner, where is Kyuhyun..."

 

 

 

 

Sungmin struggles harder, distraught, until Kyuhyun finally frees her. She gets up, ignoring him and his disappointed face and runs away.

 

He's left alone still lying on the grass.

 

 

 

 

"Dad!!" Kyuhyun hears her distant voice calling up to her father.

 

"Sungmin, where the hell have you been?? Did you not notice the sky darkening? Your mother was ill worried!" Sungmin's father voice echoes among the trees, the rest is barely audible.

 

From his position on the grass, Kyuhyun lets out a sad smile.

 

Sungmin's face must be hanged low at that moment because the thing she loathes the most in the world is her father raising his voice at her.

 

The young girl's parents are overprotective of their only child and Kyuhyun know it better than anyone -except Sungmin of course. When she was only 5, the girl got lost in the forest. They searched and searched all night for their daughter but to no avail. Sungmin remained lost until dawn, until their new neighbours' 9 year old son, Kyuhyun, found her hidden behind a bush. She was a sobbing mess, with dirt all over her clothes and a sprained ankle. That sight was to be forever imprinted in his brain. He hugged the traumatized girl and she held onto him like a life belt. He finally managed to secure her on his back and piggy backed her home despite the great distance.

 

Since then, her parents had been all but lenient concerning Sungmin's whereabouts and late outings. And Kyuhyun became like Sungmin's caring older sibling.

 

 

 

 

 

"Why is Siwon here? Don't tell me you recklessly ride him alone without my consent"

 

"... I went with her" Kyuhyun steps in, face unreadable, appearing from behind the thickets. Sungmin looks at him worriedly but gets completely ignored.

 

"Kyuhyun? Listen" he angrily points a finger at the young boy,  "I see no objection to you spending time with my daughter because I trust you and you know why, but I certainly won't tolerate that Sungmin, my little girl, stay outside when the night sets whether it's in your company or not, and I'll have final word until she becomes an adult."

 

"Dad..."

 

"Now let's go back home."

 

The teens nod in response and Mr Lee walks out first, guiding the horse. Kyuhyun and Sungmin walk silently behind. The girl throws a few glances at Kyuhyun but he still refuses to acknowledge her.

Although she doesn't understand why, she feels guilty for having run away from him earlier.

 

Suddenly a hand creeps to her own and she looks up towards Kyuhyun who innocently walks like nothing had happened. Sungmin knows it's his friendly way of appeasing her after her father's outburst, and maybe a way to show her it's all right between them.

 

His bigger hand feels warm around hers and she enjoys this moment of closeness. 

 

 

 

 

Kyuhyun has always been there for her and she wishes he always will, although part of her knows that he will move on with his life before her. He will firstly leave to study in a bigger city, then find a good job and a sweet loving girl who will put up with his personality and whom he will one day ask in marriage. Then afterwards she will give him beautiful children and they will live happily ever after. A bright life ahead but devoid of her. She's realistic, one can't expect things to stay the same forever after all.

 

What will become of their friendship then, she doesn't know, doesn't want to think about it yet. She just wants to feel his warm hand enveloping hers and walk by his side while she can, creating beautiful memories she'll carefully caress like old photographs when she will miss him too much.

 

 

Her hold on Kyuhyun's hand tightens a bit more.

 

 

 

 

 

 

A/N: There, my first ever posted story! I've been reading Kyumin for years and I thought I could post a little something to dedicate to all the wonderful Kyumin writers out there - as well as every shipper ofc - that made me so happy for the past few years huhuhu /getting emotional.

It's not much and if ever I am to post again I'll try to get better but still, I hope you didn't get bored reading, thank you for taking the time.

 

Let's keep on supporting Joy couple and SJ~