Memories of us

I already knew...

***

We ran through the tunnel and out of sight from the man we stole from until finally we reached our special place. The place we met to be more precise.

 

 

Once we arrived, I burst into fits of laughter and dropped to the grassy floor laughing and panting at the same time, however that worked out. And soon after Hyuk began doing the same and we ended up rolling down the hill.

 

 

"did you see his face? Just priceless." I laughed as he imitated the man.

 

 

"not as priceless as the lady we stole from 2 days ago" I tried to hold back my laughter as I imitated her.

 

 

We ended up going through the same series of laughter again. Soon we calmed down and sat by the stream eating the fruits we stole. After our meal, we looked up at the sky and let our thoughts drift like the clouds. We were 14 and living life on the edge.

 

 

What else could we do in a world where death was a normal everyday thing, where stealing was one of the most common way to stay alive and where law and order was something laughable of the past. This world was tainted by greed, by power and by selfishness.

 

 

For most people the policy was one man for himself, a happy living family was rare, having genuine friends was rare and of course love was the rarest of them all.

 

 

In this tainted world, and in this world polluted by sins, I had found a place. Still pure, untouched and definitely untainted. It had not been touched by blood and it had not been touched by death. Hidden away, I kept this place as my only peaceful escape from the world and now I share it with my only friend, my only ally. Him.

 

 

He didn't know, but I was stronger than he had seen me. But for now, I won't tell. Not yet.

***

 

 

"Why don't you just say it." his eyes were dull and almost colourless to me, like colours being bleached off its fabric.

 

 

"You're doing to save your sister."

 

 

"wha- how'd you know?" He was slightly surprised.

 

 

I knew how much he loved her. The only family he had left, the reason he stayed alive fighting. I admired him for it, I didn't feel jealous. I felt happy that he wasn't alone and that he wouldn't be alone when I left.

 

 

***

"Hey! Let's get to know each other! I honestly can't believe we have known each other for 6 years and I still don't know your age." he smiled at me.

 

 

We were sitting on a grassy hill, just another day in our lives and suddenly this topic has been brought up. I too wondered why we hadn't talked about in all of those 6 years that flew past, I never avoided the topic and didn't mind talking about it.

 

 

"I'm 16 now. You?" I smiled back, I knew his age and I knew his name but I asked anyway. Because he didn't know what I knew.

 

 

"eyyy I'm 17, you have to call me oppa!!" he laughed.

 

 

I pretended to gag and said "oppa my " as we both laughed like we always did.

 

 

"Do you have any family?" I bravely asked, family was rare and I knew that but he had family and I knew that. I wanted to see how deeply he cared for them, I wanted to see another side of him. I got what I wanted as he stared at the sky and spoke.

 

 

"I have a younger sister, your age actually" He smiled "I'm sure you guys would have been best friends in another life time"

 

 

I stared at him, mesmerised by this face he had when he talked about his only family.

 

 

"I always wished I had been a better brother, someone to rely on… She knew how impure this world was, but still found the beauty in everything" I nodded and smiled softly.

 

 

I had met her once, when I was 10. We had become the best of friends in mere moments, but I never saw her again. It was the first time I had ever felt close to someone then and from then on I yearned for that feeling. And now I had it, her brother Hyuk gave me another chance at being a normal girl. Having a friend and even… falling in love.

***