Three

Forbidden Royal Affair

The sight of the Joseon docks and port made him smile. It was a very challenging and life risking travel indeed. They encountered various tragedies along the way, but his will to see Joseon brought them there.

“Your Highness, your dress is already fixed. We will dock right after lunch as estimated. The royal guards of the Imperial family are all waiting for your arrival,” a messenger stopped a few feet behind him to deliver the message.

 

            He just gave a bow of recognition. He just has to wait for a few hours and sooner he will see her. He will get to see the face that haunted him for years. He will see face of the girl that had been engraved in the deepest part of his heart. After a few more moments watching their ship get near the docks, he moved down his chamber to prepare.

 

*-*-*-*-*-*-*

 

            The royal guards of the Imperial family together with three ministers stood by the port and waits for his descend on his ship. The head of the three stepped forward and gave a bow before greeting the royal visitor.

“Good day Your Highness. We are humbled by your visit here in Joseon,” he greeted.

“The pleasure is mine. Traveling indeed is very risk taking,” he replied.

“Is there some problems regarding your trip in here?” the minister looked at him with worry.

“They are only minor ones, no need to worry. But I will be very much thankful if you will get to check my ship. I am afraid it has been a bit in bad shape after the travel,” he smiled at the minister who returned the gesture.

“Yes Your Highness, we will really look into that matter. If you may, let us be going since the Empress is waiting already,” the minister bowed again and led the way to the carriage that waits for him.

 

            During the parade to get to the Imperial residence, he gets to see the busy street of the place and the bustling people all getting to their livelihood. There is not much difference between the streets back in his place and to these streets. Perhaps, if he will note some, the language and the clothes will be part of those differences.  It was a long way to get to the palace, the road a bit dusty since the summer weather had settled in. sooner, he gets to see the gates of the palace. It was widely open as if expecting his arrival. A smile made its way on his lips as they slowly moved inside.

 

            Their arrival was welcomed and announced through the lively music and procession being held on the court of the palace. The sight made him excited as he tries to breathe in and out to calm his excited heart. After few more minutes, his personal male attendant rolled up the curtain of weaved sticks that cover the entrance of his carriage as he was gestured to step outside. He gave a nod and moved to get out and welcome the warm sun. His eyes immediately scanned the present people who were there to welcome him, looking for that significant lady he is very much waiting to see.

 

            There she is, in the middle of those palace personals and the chamber maids, clad in a very beautiful hanbok, smiling at him. Her father stood beside her as they wait for him to get near them. When he was near enough, he bowed his head in respect to her father.

“I am very much pleased to know that you ventured all the way to visit us, dear Prince,” the old man smiled, “The Empress had planned your activities during your stay in here,” he added as the Prince gave another bow.

“The pleasure and gratitude is all mine your Highness. I am very much delighted to receive such warm welcome and hospitality,” the Prince replied.

“We are just returning the very kind service your family had provided for us.”

 

            The meeting was soon continued during lunch as the three of them shared a very entertaining meal, or so he thought. He was left to wonder when he was already escorted to his room about the silence that surrounds her. She barely spoke and just gave subtle nods and thrifty replies on every question he gives her. He was never visited by sleep that night.

 

*-*-*-*-*-*-*

 

            During the first few days, he got busy with the Emperor as they go about the city to check the place and the site which they will be putting the so called building which will be the embassy to look over migrants of his homeland on Joseon. He was also invited over dinner parties by the ministers and some officials who try to befriend and bribe him to put them as the head of that said embassy; but he knew too well the nature of man.

 

            That night, as he was heading to his chamber, his ears caught the faint sound of a plucking sound, a bit similar to the Qin they use way back. It’s quite inviting and more like pulling him to wherever it is that his feet won’t obey his will to move on to his room. He took silent steps as the music becomes louder and louder in his ears till he stopped in front of a lighted room. He slowly reached for the handle of the door, sliding it slowly just to satisfy his curiosity as to who is playing.

 

            The light from the large candle near her and the beam of the moon down at her on the open window made her look breathtaking in his eyes. There was much to say and much to do but the feeling of finally seeing her alone is overwhelming that he just stopped there till she finished whatever piece she is playing. Her delicate fingers stopped, resting atop the strings as she turns to look at him through the open door.

“It’s rude to stare,” she smiled.

“I apologize for my rudeness, but I am just curious as to who is playing that very mellow music,” he replied, still standing there.

“That was a sad love song, the one I asked my chamber maids to play that night,” she left her statements hanging, leaving him the room to think of what night would it be.

There was silence as both of them tries to ponder about thoughts that disturbed each of them.

 

            He shifted from his place, “I believe the night is getting deeper. I should probably head on to my quarter, good night dear Princess,” he bowed and left even before she could stop him.

 

*-*-*-*-*-*-*

 

            The very next day, he was just surprised to find an invitation for him to join her in welcoming the Emperor.

“But the Emperor was with me yesterday,” he looked at the messenger.

His personal servant replied, “That was the Father King.”

“Father King?” he asked, finding it hard to grasp the idea at hand. Nevertheless, he accepted the invitation.

 

            It was probably two or three hours after the crow of the rooster did they moved to get to the port to welcome the Emperor. He stood a foot behind her as they wait for the personals aboard the ship to get down. Sooner, a man about his age, clad in the red royal robe of the emperor stepped down, taking his steps towards them.

 

             He was able to catch that sudden change in his expression when the Emperor met his gaze. There was probably a flick of annoyance behind it which made him think of the reason why.

 

*-*-*-*-*-*-*

 

            She was very much nervous and uneasy as they wait for the Emperor to get down the ship. Her palms start to get sweaty as she tries to calm her trembling heart. Just then, she saw him, clad in the red royal robe sewn for the emperor only. She lowered her gaze, a customary practice that she would only look at him if the Emperor tells her to do so. She was aware of the ministers and palace personals near her bow to the Emperor as he gets near her. She was just startled to feel an arm move slowly around her waist and plush lips on her forehead. Her eyes widened and even without permission, she looked up at him with wide eyes, questioning this sudden behavior.

 

            That was not part of the protocol. Even though she is his wife, that gesture is only permitted inside their private quarter and not in public. He may act sweet but intimate gestures are not part of it. “I missed you,” the Emperor whispered as he guides her to face the shocked Prince behind her.

 

*-*-*-*-*-*-*

 

            If she is shocked by the sudden gesture, all the more for the Prince. He may not be that well oriented about the protocol regarding royal couples, but he knows that intimate gestures are only permitted inside the private chamber of the couple. He was tongue-tied when the said Emperor guided her to face him.

“My humble apologies for not being around during your arrival; I was very much needed in the nearby province that is why I have to travel even before you arrive,” the Emperor gave a decent bow, still holding her near.

“There is nothing you should apologize, Your Highness,” he returned.

Then they exchanged looks, as if battling over as to who would give in first. Their momentary battle was interrupted by her soft voice, “I believe we should be heading back to the palace.”

 

            The two men looked down at her as she bows her head, trying to make her movement unnoticed as she tries to remove the arm around her waist. She made a very hasty whisper, “Please remove your arm; it is making me uncomfortable.”

But it was just answered by a grin. The Prince gestured them to lead the way as they started to move on the waiting chariots.

 

*-*-*-*-*-*-*

 

            The Prince watched his personal servant pack his belongings since he has to leave the very next day. His short visit finally came to an end. What only worries him as of the moment is how to talk to her personally since there are many questions plaguing his mind since that encounter at the port.

“Your Highness, everything is packed already. We are ready to leave for tomorrow. I have checked the ship yesterday and it is as good as new. Provisions and other goods and gifts were loaded already,” the said servant bowed his head.

“Thank you, you may retire now to your chamber,” he gestured over the said servant and waited in his room for the night to grow deep.

He is hoping for his one last venture to that said room that he will see her there. He hopes to say his farewell greetings personally, without any eyes to look at them.

 

            When he deemed that the time is already perfect, he slowly stood up to get to that room again. His steps were light but hurried like someone is chasing him. When he was near the said room, his heart rejoiced to see light emanating from the open door. There is no music coming from the inside, just light. He slowed down, moving to check if she is alone and his wish was granted.

 

            She is standing near the window, overlooking the small river from the said window. Despite his cautious steps, she was still able to sense his presence.

“I know you have questions in mind from what you had witnessed earlier,” she said as she slowly turns. Her hair is let loose, not braided as most royalties in Joseon do.

“I was very much glad to meet you during our visit in there,” she started, “Knowing that probably the chance of you and me ending up together is very high, I held on to that for long. My father and mother know about what I feel about that certain encounter and I was glad they are in favor of it. But the sudden failure of my mother’s health that led to her early demise forced my father to let him marry me. I was against it, trying to prove my point that I can still take up the role of being an Empress even without an Emperor since father is still with me, but the board of ministers and council made it hard for me to refuse. I’d rather bend to their will than to see my father suffer the consequence of my stubbornness. Now I hope that will explain why I am addressed as Empress and not as Princess,” she finished with a sigh.

 

            With her narration and steady voice, she did not hear him move near her, stopping just a few feet behind her.

“But you waited, you waited for me, right?” he asked, as if leaving her no room to say no.

“Yes, I did. I am sorry I was not able to hold on to it. I am sorry,” she bowed her head, her shoulder slowly shaking as tears coursed down her face.

His actions were reflexes, instant as he moves to hold her near, cupping her face, wiping away those tears. His eyes looked yearningly at hers.

 

            Her hands trembled as she tries to reach for his face, slowly holding it, returning that gaze with the same fervor. With such gentleness, he slowly bent down, closing the distance between their face. He kissed her; tenderly with such affection and love. The suppressed emotion flowed, bursts and enveloped them as they become oblivious of everything. His arms traveled down her waist as he animates the kiss; her arms moved at the back of his neck. He pulled her closer and she willingly moved with him. There was much to say and much to do, but they let all drift away as the get drown in each other’s arms and the heat of the forbidden kiss.

 

*-*-*-*-*-*-*

 

            Watching those two from afar would probably bring you to tears as to how tragic their lovestory is. But for him it is not something worth heart moving. He don’t know what they are talking about, he cannot hear it from his place. He wants to get there and stop them, but something from the intimate gesture of his hands on her face as she slowly did it back to him made him stop. And much to his fury and rage, he watched him claim her lips; the very lips he had been wishing to claim.

 

            He moved near the open window, his silhouette outlined on the darkness that abound his chamber. He gritted his teeth, suppressing the anger and the wrath that build up within him. One step closer and the light from the window on his back reflected on the red royal robe he is wearing that matches the color of his feelings as he watch them from afar.